Blue & White Scrimmage 8/8 6pm

By all fan accounts here, Cassel has been kind of a dud while both EJ and Tyrod have played better than him. I go by fan accounts here because they seem to be more thoughtful and more intelligent than the likes of Sal and that Brent guy.

That all tells me that the Bills have clearly taken the approach to continue to let the battle play out (seems as if both EJ and Tyrod have taken to this approach) all the way to preseason and then start making moves. I have no idea why anyone would think the Cassel I've been reading about is going to be anywhere near the starting position seeing how he is getting to his mid-thirties and he's not playing better than the two young guys at this point.

Given Rex's history I have a hard time believing he'll go into the season without a veteran quarterback on the roster - Taylor doesn't count, I'm talking someone who has logged actual snaps and can come in off of the bench and run basic plays on offense like he's seen them before. I'm not saying it'll be Cassel - perhaps they'll find someone else in the bargain bin a la Orton last year. But there is no way they run EJ-TT-Simms. Rex has been through too much of that kind of thing already. He was force-fed an inexperienced QB with the Jets twice, and it killed his offense.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smart bet, sure. It's just when everyone is reporting from camp, mostly all of them are putting TT and/or EJ as having a better day than Cassel (with they exception of maybe 1 or 2 days). So reporting the other two as being better but still saying Cassel will start is eye-roll worthy. Hopefully at some point either TT or EJ take large steps forward and one of these reports will sack up and say something new.

It does make you question how legit the "QB competition" is when the other two are consistently outplaying Cassel yet he still gets most of the time with the 1s. I'm not too worried about it at this point as it's early but if this continues for another month and Cassel is the starter I'll wonder why they had a QB Competition at all. If they wanted Cassel in there they should have just given Cassel all the reps with the 1s.

At the end of the day I don't think Cassel will be the starter though. I think they've put him in front of the others simply as a sign of respect to the vet. But at some point in the very near future they need to get this whittled down to two guys. It won't serve the team to have all these reps getting split. The earlier a decision is made the better.

By all fan accounts here, Cassel has been kind of a dud while both EJ and Tyrod have played better than him. I go by fan accounts here because they seem to be more thoughtful and more intelligent than the likes of Sal and that Brent guy.

That all tells me that the Bills have clearly taken the approach to continue to let the battle play out (seems as if both EJ and Tyrod have taken to this approach) all the way to preseason and then start making moves. I have no idea why anyone would think the Cassel I've been reading about is going to be anywhere near the starting position seeing how he is getting to his mid-thirties and he's not playing better than the two young guys at this point.

I'd say EJ and Taylor had a much better week of practice than Cassel but would still say Cassel has been the most consistent thus far. That's not to say that he's been good either.

This will likely play well into the pre-season but I'm not going to be surprised to see Cassel named the week 1 starter. I probably won't be thrilled with it but if EJ or Taylor don't continue stepping up then I can't fault Rex for it either. Like I said, I think it's his job to lose.

Edited by Bangarang

I'd say EJ and Cassel had a much better week of practice than Cassel but would still say Cassel has been the most consistent thus far. That's not to say that he's been good either.

This will likely play well into the pre-season but I'm not going to be surprised to see Cassel named the week 1 starter. I probably won't be thrilled with it but if EJ or Taylor don't continue stepping up then I can't fault Rex for it either. Like I said, I think it's his job to lose.

Say what?

Is this true? If I remember correctly, which I might not, wasn't there something a few years back around teams that were charging for practice having to let other teams' scouts attend. Thought that this was in response to the general policy that teams could not attend each other's free, open practices.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, or something has changed since then?

im not sure, but they don't announce they are scouting. They sit with the fans.

Most media types won't have a take against a player's chances unless they're absolutely convinced. Joe B's a big FSU guy having attended there and if he's not giving Manuel much of a shot, that ought to be telling. By all accounts, EJ still makes some of the same mistakes he made as a rookie, including an inability to make basic throws.

No, a scrimmage isn't going to kill his chance to win the starting job, but they don't have another year to find out if the guy can play either. And it's distressing to hear people claim that EJ's issues come down to the previous coaching staff. These guys are pros and need to be able to adapt quickly. EJ should have good coaching now, so it's on him to become the Whaley thought he might be when they selected him 2 years ago.

I recommend you find one of the threads that has the whole play-by-play of last night's scrimmage, because what you are saying sounds like it's out of ignorance.

Whatever one thinks of his ultimate chances - EJ won the QB competition hands-down last night. Cassel continues to show nothing and was inaccurate himself last night, as was Taylor, whose yards were mostly on scrambles while wearing a red shirt and YAC.

Edited by BobChalmers

Given Rex's history I have a hard time believing he'll go into the season without a veteran quarterback on the roster - Taylor doesn't count, I'm talking someone who has logged actual snaps and can come in off of the bench and run basic plays on offense like he's seen them before. I'm not saying it'll be Cassel - perhaps they'll find someone else in the bargain bin a la Orton last year. But there is no way they run EJ-TT-Simms. Rex has been through too much of that kind of thing already. He was force-fed an inexperienced QB with the Jets twice, and it killed his offense.

No matter how overpaid we think Cassell is, he is the one with 68 starts under his belt. EJ and TT can be considered vets but their experience on the field is far from ideal. We can't go into the season without a guy that has seen it before and that could relate with young QBs like a coach might no be able to.

No matter how overpaid we think Cassell is, he is the one with 68 starts under his belt. EJ and TT can be considered vets but their experience on the field is far from ideal. We can't go into the season without a guy that has seen it before and that could relate with young QBs like a coach might no be able to.

Yeah, I don't think Cassell is getting cut either. My guess is that either EJ or Tyrod wins the job with Cassell as the #2 and if the starter gets hurt the #3 guy will be the starter with Cassell still being the #2. As you say, Cassell's experience can help the young guys in a lot of ways and his presence is invaluable.

And again, OBD is telling you where things stand. Look at the highlight reel - it's all EJ with a touch of Tyrod. There's your 2015 starter and backup - as things stand today - folks.

Cassel is starting Friday with and against 1's as one last chance to lose or save his roster spot. My prediction is he'll be gone before the first cuts so they can be ready to grab someone with his $4M. << Assuming this money is recoverable - I don't claim to know if it is.

Edited by BobChalmers

Yeah, I don't think Cassell is getting cut either. My guess is that either EJ or Tyrod wins the job with Cassell as the #2 and if the starter gets hurt the #3 guy will be the starter with Cassell still being the #2. As you say, Cassell's experience can help the young guys in a lot of ways and his presence is invaluable.

Is the extra L for Loser? :D

I think most people are just too lazy to figure out if it's casell, Cassel, Cassel. That's what you get when you're meh.

I've spelled it all three ways.

Edited by The Wiz

I recommend you find one of the threads that has the whole play-by-play of last night's scrimmage, because what you are saying sounds like it's out of ignorance.

Whatever one thinks of his ultimate chances - EJ won the QB competition hands-down last night. Cassel continues to show nothing and was inaccurate himself last night, as was Taylor, whose yards were mostly on scrambles while wearing a red shirt and YAC.

I did and it didn't sound like anything you are saying.

Yeah, for some reason I can't ever recall which letter is doubled so looked at the post I was replying to and mimicked the spelling. I blame Fixxxer!

If we only knew the QBs as A,B, and C. A, being Manuel, B is Taylor and C is Cassel. We have no knowledge of their past, based on their camp performance, would C be the front runner? Are we missing something that the coaches are seeing? Both A and B seem to have better skill set for Roman's offense. A and B have the possibility of greater upside, but also greater downside. C is better at going through progressions. Is that enough to anoint C? Or is it just the safe thing to do?