Blue & White Scrimmage 8/8 6pm

I think it's more to the point that the media is saying that Cassel will be the starter because he's an 11 year vet and that's about all the merit they are going on. He has been decent at camp but that's about all he is capable of. The other two have had highs and lows but are capable of more than Cassel is.

Proclaiming Cassel as the likely starter is just the smart bet at this point. We all hope that EJ or Tyrod steps it up and takes the job but I still think it's Cassel's job to lose at this point. The next few weeks are critical for the QBs.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ staying even keeled about QB battle

EJ Manuel left his head coach impressed with some of the plays he was able to make in the blue-white scrimmage Saturday night, but in no way is the third-year quarterback satisfied with his play.

“It feels good,” said Manuel of making a handful of plays Saturday. “But understanding that, you know, this isn’t all that it’s going to take to win the job. You know you’ve got to keep doing it, keep stacking good days and that’s the biggest thing, focus on what I can do to get better and not worry about anything else.”

Proclaiming Cassel as the likely starter is just the smart bet at this point. We all hope that EJ or Tyrod steps it up and takes the job but I still think it's Cassel's job to lose at this point. The next few weeks are critical for the QBs.

Smart bet, sure. It's just when everyone is reporting from camp, mostly all of them are putting TT and/or EJ as having a better day than Cassel (with they exception of maybe 1 or 2 days). So reporting the other two as being better but still saying Cassel will start is eye-roll worthy. Hopefully at some point either TT or EJ take large steps forward and one of these reports will sack up and say something new.

Edited by The Wiz

@ChrisTrapasso

Wasn't able to attend #Bills practice but a few thoughts based on tweets / recaps I read from the scrimmage...

1. #Bills *need* O progress this year but if O marched up&down field v top-level BUF defense 1 week into camp, that've been biggest red flag

2. Still seems like 2horse race for #Bills QB job between EJ & Tyrod. Both w/ some sound throws. EJ hits @ all levels, Tyrod more checkdowns

3. EJ & Tyrod sound precisely like very inexperienced QBs w/ talent to become competent starters. Good throw. Good throw. Sack/easy misfire.

It's sad to see that this passes for informed media opinions nowadays.

I really can't stand this media coverage by Buscaglia. His bias against EJ is so obvious it's pathetic. Every rthing that goes bad for EJ is accentuated with negativity. Anybody know if the miffed handoff was EJ's fault? Yet Buscaglia says and EJ runs into the FB. Maybe the FB ran the wrong play. When EJ misses on a pass, it's "no one anywhere near the ball," or "EJ badly misfires.". Yet anyone else misses a pass, you don't hear Tyrod badly overthrow the receiver. And not suprisingly, EJ has hit two passes for about 75 yards, and had anothe first down pass dropped, but does Joe B say nice throw? No, just EJ complete to Harvin. I expect this sort of stuff from the EJ haters on the board. That's fine. But the media should not be biased in their reporting. And for the Tyrod fans, he better do more than run because we've been there and done that with other similar athletic run first QBs. We are screwed if he doesn't do more than complete 5 yard passes and runs around end or to avoid the rush.

Most media types won't have a take against a player's chances unless they're absolutely convinced. Joe B's a big FSU guy having attended there and if he's not giving Manuel much of a shot, that ought to be telling. By all accounts, EJ still makes some of the same mistakes he made as a rookie, including an inability to make basic throws.

No, a scrimmage isn't going to kill his chance to win the starting job, but they don't have another year to find out if the guy can play either. And it's distressing to hear people claim that EJ's issues come down to the previous coaching staff. These guys are pros and need to be able to adapt quickly. EJ should have good coaching now, so it's on him to become the Whaley thought he might be when they selected him 2 years ago.

Baltimore had 3 different OC's in Tyrod's 4 years there, if that counts.

Didn't Joe Flacco have the same situation?

By all fan accounts here, Cassel has been kind of a dud while both EJ and Tyrod have played better than him. I go by fan accounts here because they seem to be more thoughtful and more intelligent than the likes of Sal and that Brent guy.

That all tells me that the Bills have clearly taken the approach to continue to let the battle play out (seems as if both EJ and Tyrod have taken to this approach) all the way to preseason and then start making moves. I have no idea why anyone would think the Cassel I've been reading about is going to be anywhere near the starting position seeing how he is getting to his mid-thirties and he's not playing better than the two young guys at this point.

Edited by 1billsfan

Most media types won't have a take against a player's chances unless they're absolutely convinced. Joe B's a big FSU guy having attended there and if he's not giving Manuel much of a shot, that ought to be telling. By all accounts, EJ still makes some of the same mistakes he made as a rookie, including an inability to make basic throws.

No, a scrimmage isn't going to kill his chance to win the starting job, but they don't have another year to find out if the guy can play either. And it's distressing to hear people claim that EJ's issues come down to the previous coaching staff. These guys are pros and need to be able to adapt quickly. EJ should have good coaching now, so it's on him to become the Whaley thought he might be when they selected him 2 years ago.

As someone has said before, Joe B had a cup of coffee at FSU and that was about how long he attended.

Joe B did a semester at FSU...he's hardly a bastion of the program.

And no, a radio guy's opinion shouldn't tell anyone anything other than it's his opinion.

How crazy is it that some folks are ready to take the opinion of Joe Buscaglia over Greg Roman?

None of these three are going to be cut before the end of training camp, IMHO.

We're one slip on a wet rubber mat or a Troy Vincent failure-to-pull-up-on-a-QB running out of bounds away from having two healthy QBs to start the season.

As someone has said before, Joe B had a cup of coffee at FSU and that was about how long he attended.

The bottom line is that JoKe B's preformed opinion and bias against EJ will not allow him to be an impartial observer in the QB competition when it comes to a fair evaluation of #3's performance.

so his indication is to run and not go through his progressions?

From what I read in the WNY media linked on Two Bills Drive ---

Cassel, (the 11-year veteran, who some believe will be the starter LOL) saw the least amount of work, and he handed off more than he dropped back was 2-of-6 for 27 yards.

EJ performed best. The only TD, 5-of-11 for 104 yard.

Taylor 8-of-13 for 77 yards.

Just from what I am reading, yes

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/08/09/why-bills-kept-thing-vanilla-in-scrimmage/

There wasn’t a whole lot of flashy plays in Saturday night’s blue-white scrimmage, but there were some big plays. Buffalo’s offense and defense were not going to lay their playbook plans for the regular season out there for a reason. As head coach Rex Ryan knows there are spies out there.

“Our guys were putting in plays, but our fans aren’t the only ones watching these things so again I think that’s something of note as well,” said Ryan. “We know there’s other teams here and so we play pretty vanilla.”

For scrimmage sessions and sometimes for just regular practice it’s not uncommon for other NFL clubs to dispatch scouts to other team’s training camps to observe what their plans might be for the regular season, especially within the division.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/08/09/why-bills-kept-thing-vanilla-in-scrimmage/

There wasnt a whole lot of flashy plays in Saturday nights blue-white scrimmage, but there were some big plays. Buffalos offense and defense were not going to lay their playbook plans for the regular season out there for a reason. As head coach Rex Ryan knows there are spies out there.

Our guys were putting in plays, but our fans arent the only ones watching these things so again I think thats something of note as well, said Ryan. We know theres other teams here and so we play pretty vanilla.

For scrimmage sessions and sometimes for just regular practice its not uncommon for other NFL clubs to dispatch scouts to other teams training camps to observe what their plans might be for the regular season, especially within the division.

not only is it not uncommon, it is standard.

The bottom line is that JoKe B's preformed opinion and bias against EJ will not allow him to be an impartial observer in the QB competition when it comes to a fair evaluation of #3's performance.

I agree. I know people dismiss the "media against EJ" notion but Joe B is definitely the leader of that fan club.

Smart bet, sure. It's just when everyone is reporting from camp, mostly all of them are putting TT and/or EJ as having a better day than Cassel (with they exception of maybe 1 or 2 days). So reporting the other two as being better but still saying Cassel will start is eye-roll worthy. Hopefully at some point either TT or EJ take large steps forward and one of these reports will sack up and say something new.

It's going to take more than a few good days of practice to change the likelihood that Cassel starts. I don't see anything unreasonable with still saying Cassel will probably be the week 1 starter. If EJ and Tyrod keep playing well in practice and in the pre-season then I can see your point but until then Cassel seems to be the guy.

Edited by Bangarang

I don't see any scenario outside injuries where Cassel starts for us

The last few practices has been the Tyrod and EJ show mostly IMO,

Nice to have an experienced vet, but got to hope Tyrodand EJ keep improving and getting more consistent

not only is it not uncommon, it is standard.

Is this true? If I remember correctly, which I might not, wasn't there something a few years back around teams that were charging for practice having to let other teams' scouts attend. Thought that this was in response to the general policy that teams could not attend each other's free, open practices.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, or something has changed since then?

Well, all I'll say is this: at the very least, on the wake of the scrimmage which was supposed to be important in picking a starter, can we admit that Cassel has sucked.

Seriously sucked.

I don't know if EJ or Tyrod are great but they sound leaps and bounds better than Cassel.