Blue & White Scrimmage 8/8 6pm

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know why Tyrod was "dissapointing"?

He got the team in position to score and his numbers looked ok.

Either way I'm happy to see EJ step up when the moment waa big.

I wasn't there but the sense that I get is that Tyrod misses some opportunities because he takes off so quickly. Someone feel free to correct me if that isn't true. It is a little bit of a double edged sword because they want him to run but they also need to him see more than his 1st read. At least that is my takeaway on the situation...

I wasn't there but the sense that I get is that Tyrod misses some opportunities because he takes off so quickly. Someone feel free to correct me if that isn't true. It is a little bit of a double edged sword because they want him to run but they also need to him see more than his 1st read. At least that is my takeaway on the situation...

I think that's exactly it. If his 1st read is not open he looks to run.

Sounds like Brent has an "Axe" to grind with EJ as well. Right now, EJ is probably as inconsistent as Andy Dalton but he's a "good QB". In his limited time EJ showed the best of all QBs. Rex even acknowledged the fact, yet he's still trying to belittle the effort. Smh

Wow, are those two guys stupid. They are so clueless that they don't even know that Cassel is just the "PR" placeholder for EJ or Taylor with EJ being the top guy in waiting with the best performance in the scrimmage. I say PR because I think that the Bills want Cassel to start in the first preseason game so as not to offend the NFL media at large to show that Cassel had all the time in the world to win the job and he lost it both on merits and the fact that he does not fit in Roman's misdirection offense that's being put in place. The Bills don't want to put EJ or Taylor in a position where they have to defend themselves to idiots like these two guys.

It's so weird how these local guys have put Cassel on a pedestal as if he has done anything in this league other than be a decent backup. They see that two years of production he had from a half decade ago and hold that up as evidence he's clearly the best guy the Bills have. Geez guys, how stupid can you be? It doesn't work on video just like it doesn't work in print. Please give up your Matt Cassel dream already. There's a good chance he's going to get cut because he not only sucks, he can't run Roman's modern game offense where the QB is a running option. I think if Cassel has another poor game next week he's cut the next day.

Edited by 1billsfan

I think that's exactly it. If his 1st read is not open he looks to run.

so his indication is to run and not go through his progressions?

From what I read in the WNY media linked on Two Bills Drive ---

Cassel, (the 11-year veteran, who some believe will be the starter LOL) saw the least amount of work, and he handed off more than he dropped back was 2-of-6 for 27 yards.

EJ performed best. The only TD, 5-of-11 for 104 yard.

Taylor 8-of-13 for 77 yards.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Fwiw the amount of time Cassel played in the scrimmage was the same as McCown played in the Browns scrimmage on Fri. Night. Hate to say it but the guys who they need to "evaluate" more tend to play more in these things. It says to me that they plan to keep Cassel no matter what and he's the probable starter and are making decisions on the others. Jmo.

If I am adding up the number for the QB play it looks like they went 15-26 for just over 200 yds and a TD. Not to shabby for a first scrimmage against a very good D. If I remember right the D is always ahead of the O this time of year. Even more so when you take into consideration the O is implementing a new system. I do not think everything is perfect with the O and QB play, but after a week of practice it sounds about on pace. The biggest thing about these early scrimmages and games is looking at technique and seeing who needs to work on what. The EJ press is encouraging. If EJ can turn into an adequate QB and manager of the game we have a real shot here.

Fwiw the amount of time Cassel played in the scrimmage was the same as McCown played in the Browns scrimmage on Fri. Night. Hate to say it but the guys who they need to "evaluate" more tend to play more in these things. It says to me that they plan to keep Cassel no matter what and he's the probable starter and are making decisions on the others. Jmo.

I guess that's the other school of thought. I think you're wrong because it's clear to me that Cassel is totally not a fit with Roman's offense which is based on misdirection and having the QB as an option to run. Just look at the players they have. Harvin is going to get smashed on reverses with Cassel at QB because the defense knows 100% he isn't going to keep the ball. I honestly think the Bills are just propping up Cassel as the starter to keep the wolves at bay one more week.

I guess that's the other school of thought. I think you're wrong because it's clear to me that Cassel is totally not a fit with Roman's offense which is based on misdirection and having the QB as an option to run. Just look at the players they have. Harvin is going to get smashed on reverses with Cassel at QB because the defense knows 100% he isn't going to keep the ball. I honestly think the Bills are just propping up Cassel as the starter to keep the wolves at bay one more week.

if he was a total misfit, they wouldn't have traded for him. I'm not saying he is good or that he has looked good, but they clearly felt he was a fit for some of the offense. It isn't like they inherited him. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't think that you are off. I don't think that anyone is excited about the potential of Cassel as the starter but at this point he seems to be the guy that they trust the most.

I don't think that you are off. I don't think that anyone is excited about the potential of Cassel as the starter but at this point he seems to be the guy that they trust the most.

based on what? Because Meh was playing against the #1's more than TT and EJ?

Rex explained his reasoning. Meh should be better because he's a 11 yr pro, and from what I have heard he isn't much better.

In the last 2 days in practice and "scrimmage" which of the 3 had the two TD's thrown?

clue it wasn't meh.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Does anyone know why Tyrod was "dissapointing"?

He got the team in position to score and his numbers looked ok.

Either way I'm happy to see EJ step up when the moment waa big.

Roughly a third of Tyrod's passing yards were YAC by O'Leary on a 5-yard dump off, so his play wasn't as good as the stats looked.

EJ suffered two drops from his receivers so his day was clearly the best.

Cassel is playing for his spot on the roster against the Panthers' ones Friday. He's shown nothing to justify his roster spot, much less his salary and associated cap space.

I also have a "propaganda" theory about these things - nearly all the offensive highlights up on OBD from last night are EJ, and clearly show that it's him throwing the ball. They want him to win, and again, Cassel hasn't shown anything - not even less propensity to throw INT's in practice.

Edited by BobChalmers

if he was a total misfit, they wouldn't have traded for him. I'm not saying he is good or that he has looked good, but they clearly felt he was a fit for some of the offense. It isn't like they inherited him.

They traded for him because they needed a fail-safe QB. How it seems to be playing out is that the fail-safe QB is no longer needed since the two young developing QBs are surpassing Cassel's current talent level.

That's how I see it going. Would you pay Matt Cassel 5 million to be a third string QB? I don't know of any NFL team that would do something like that. Cassel isn't good. He was once a decent starting QB but that was for a very short time and that time was five years ago. I think that Cassel is a content man who has been coasting for a long time now and that coasting is finally catching up to him.

based on what? Because Meh was playing against the #1's more than TT and EJ?

Rex explained his reasoning. Meh should be better because he's a 11 yr pro, and from what I have heard he isn't much better.

In the last 2 days in practice and "scrimmage" which of the 3 had the two TD's thrown?

clue it wasn't meh.

its just how preseason player evaluation takes place.

They traded for him because they needed a fail-safe QB. How it seems to be playing out is that the fail-safe QB is no longer needed since the two young developing QBs are surpassing Cassel's current talent level.

That's how I see it going. Would you pay Matt Cassel 5 million to be a third string QB? I don't know of any NFL team that would do something like that. Cassel isn't good. He was once a decent starting QB but that was for a very short time and that time was five years ago. I think that Cassel is a content man who has been coasting for a long time now and that coasting is finally catching up to him.

they have pro scouts and didn't just randomly trade for someone for years of experience only. It's much more sophisticated than that, and I'm not sure if you are asking for my opinion on him again or posing the question rhetorically, but I already said I don't think he is good or has looked good to this point.

As far as his salary, 4 mill and change is not that much for a QB and he may be the starter. It's on the high side for a backup only because he's an 11 year vet. That's how much vet QBs cost.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Wow, are those two guys stupid. They are so clueless that they don't even know that Cassel is just the "PR" placeholder for EJ or Taylor with EJ being the top guy in waiting with the best performance in the scrimmage. I say PR because I think that the Bills want Cassel to start in the first preseason game so as not to offend the NFL media at large to show that Cassel had all the time in the world to win the job and he lost it both on merits and the fact that he does not fit in Roman's misdirection offense that's being put in place. The Bills don't want to put EJ or Taylor in a position where they have to defend themselves to idiots like these two guys.

It's so weird how these local guys have put Cassel on a pedestal as if he has done anything in this league other than be a decent backup. They see that two years of production he had from a half decade ago and hold that up as evidence he's clearly the best guy the Bills have. Geez guys, how stupid can you be? It doesn't work on video just like it doesn't work in print. Please give up your Matt Cassel dream already. There's a good chance he's going to get cut because he not only sucks, he can't run Roman's modern game offense where the QB is a running option. I think if Cassel has another poor game next week he's cut the next day.

I hope this is sarcasm. This whole crusade against the media because they've all banded together for the sake of bashing EJ is getting a bit sad at this point..

@ChrisTrapasso

Wasn't able to attend #Bills practice but a few thoughts based on tweets / recaps I read from the scrimmage...

1. #Bills *need* O progress this year but if O marched up&down field v top-level BUF defense 1 week into camp, that've been biggest red flag

2. Still seems like 2horse race for #Bills QB job between EJ & Tyrod. Both w/ some sound throws. EJ hits @ all levels, Tyrod more checkdowns

3. EJ & Tyrod sound precisely like very inexperienced QBs w/ talent to become competent starters. Good throw. Good throw. Sack/easy misfire.

I hope this is sarcasm. This whole crusade against the media because they've all banded together for the sake of bashing EJ is getting a bit sad at this point..

I think it's more to the point that the media is saying that Cassel will be the starter because he's an 11 year vet and that's about all the merit they are going on. He has been decent at camp but that's about all he is capable of. The other two have had highs and lows but are capable of more than Cassel is.

I'd phrase is as more that much of the sports media are lazy as hell and rely on group think and regurgitating each others' half-informed opinions, which makes the end result pretty useless information for the people who are supposed to be their end customers.

It's particularly annoying to see newspaper writers do such a poor job, given how precious and rare their jobs are in a dying industry.

I think it's more to the point that the media is saying that Cassel will be the starter because he's an 11 year vet and that's about all the merit they are going on. He has been decent at camp but that's about all he is capable of. The other two have had highs and lows but are capable of more than Cassel is.

Right - which is to be expected because they are so pathetically lazy.