Blue & White Scrimmage 8/8 6pm

I'm pulling for EJ to win the job. I saw enough in his first 14 games to want him to be the starter. Maroon didn't do us any favors last year. He pushed the panic button and gave EJ the hook for .500 ball. Orton was one game better than .500 the rest of the way, going 7-5. Very few rookie QB's have the tools or experience to win immediately. You have growing pains, and it usually takes 2-3 years to grow into the job. If Maroon had any clue at all, we would be in year 3 with EJ, but instead, we created a huge question mark over this kid's head. He had a rocky start to TC, but he's started to put it together. I want to see him win the job, and shove it up Joe's, Sully's, Bucky's, Vic's, Rodak's etc. collective a$$es. Go EJ, and go Bills!

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Ravens team was a long time ago, we NEED beter QB play, period.

Right and Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson are all consistent top 5 QBS who throw for 3500-4000 yards each year.

No, wait. Eli and Joe are streaky as hell. Kaep and Wilson have decent mobility and the ability to extend plays.

All of whom (all together now) *chant* used a strong run game and solid defense to get through December and January to the Superbowl.

I know we need to upgrade at QB or get dramatically better play from one we have to be a powerhouse contender, but no rookie or guy we can trade for or pick up in free agency will be able to do jack squat without what we're building this year.

Fixxxer, thanks for posting these!

My main take away from watching these clips is: no rational outside person could draw any real conclusions from this watered-down, shake the rust off, scrimmage. All of these "expert" twitter reports making definitive statements are just looking for more clicks and followers. And us dummies eat it right up.

We talkin bout Practice...

Joe Flacco is a guy who rises to the occasion, as is Eli.

Neither strikes you as great but Eli took down the cheating Patriots* TWICE in the Super Bowl, ending their undefeated season and "stuff it in the haters' faces" revenge season. Flacco shows up in Foxboro in the playoffs and starts slinging TD passes all over the place.

Each is unassuming but is lights out in big games, especially the playoffs.

EJ: To me, EJ has to CLEARLY be better than everyone else on a consistent basis to win the job. In short, he is damaged goods, and he is someone else's mess. Marrone and Whaley picked him and they gave up on him the day they signed Orton IMO. It was just a matter of when EJ was pulled at that point. Argue all you want but it was pretty clear that nobody who put their necks on the line believed in him last year, and it doesn't seem any different this year. The "QB purgatory" comment from Whaley is hardly a ringing endorsement. Forget fair, this is the NFL. Impressions of EJ on the FIELD are not good, so he is going to have a steep hill to climb to change them. Doing "pretty well" isn't going to matter. He needs to play so well that they CANNOT go with someone else.

Why is the Qb purgatory comment only an indictment on EJ and not the other 2?

My main take away from watching these clips is: no rational outside person could draw any real conclusions from this watered-down, shake the rust off, scrimmage. All of these "expert" twitter reports making definitive statements are just looking for more clicks and followers. And us dummies eat it right up.

We talkin bout Practice...

Yup I feel like I am taking crazy pills. Some posters want the qbs to throw more ints bc practice is the time to try new throws and improve. The media is all over any incompletion these guys throw let alone ints. The tweet that broke me was "all the good ej has done today was undone by that int." This stuff drives me crazy. It is all about driving clicks and views and it was learned long ago negativity is the way to go especially with Bills fans.

Edited by section122

Why is the Qb purgatory comment only an indictment on EJ and not the other 2?

Yup I feel like I am taking crazy pills. Some posters want the qbs to throw more ints bc practice is the time to try new throws and improve. The media is all over any incompletion these guys throw let alone ints. The tweet that broke me was "all the good ej has done today was undone by that int." This stuff drives me crazy. It is all about driving clicks and views and it was learned long ago negativity is the way to go especially with Bills fans.

I don't think the purgatory comment is an indictment on any of our current QB's, so much as their collective status and the Team's projected ability to proactively improve said status.

I don't think the purgatory comment is an indictment on any of our current QB's, so much as their collective status and the Team's projected ability to proactively improve said status.

There's no need to couch your statement in "I don't think", Hokie.

Anyone that listened to the interview will know for certain that the "purgatory" comment was made in regard to draft position.

There's no need to couch your statement in "I don't think", Hokie.

Anyone that listened to the interview will know for certain that the "purgatory" comment was made in regard to draft position.

Oh I certainly agree I just am confused by why the quoted poster thought it indicted ej and nobody else.

The most maddening one Ive seen was one I quoted and commented on a few pages back.

Another "expert" reporter started his piece "I didn't watch the scrimmage, but from the tweets I've read"... and then went on to give his opinion on the state of the team. :doh::wallbash:

So he's pushing an opinion formed by what he read from other non-expert's tweets...

The most maddening one Ive seen was one I quoted and commented on a few pages back.

Another "expert" reporter started his piece "I didn't watch the scrimmage, but from the tweets I've read"... and then went on to give his opinion on the state of the team. :doh::wallbash:

So he's pushing an opinion formed by what he read from other non-expert's tweets...

Yup and then it gets picked up nationally. Twitter is fantastic for somethings but it is ruining so much.

Oh I certainly agree I just am confused by why the quoted poster thought it indicted ej and nobody else.

Oh I think it applies to all 3, but of the 3 only EJ was here last season.

My point is that this GM and the previous HC who helped picked EJ cut bait on him last summer. To me that suggests that EJ is going to have to be CLEARLY the best guy by a good margin for them to put their jobs into his hands.

Rex NEEDS to win a lot of games with this roster or he is going to look like a failure. If the team looks good but he can't get a QB to play that is forever going to be his reputation: a great DC who cannot find a QB.

So to me, Rex is looking to find a guy who can be very good to great, and before he puts his coaching career into one of these guy's hands he is going to have to believe fully. I think he wants Tyrod to win out because of his speed and athleticism and the problems they pose. IF not I think he would settle for Cassel as a "do little but make no mistakes" guy.

EJ to me is someone they have to give a shot just in case because of his draft position. If he suddenly plays well Rex and his staff look like geniuses. If not, he's not their mess anyway.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Oh I think it applies to all 3, but of the 3 only EJ was here last season.

My point is that this GM and the previous HC who helped picked EJ cut bait on him last summer. To me that suggests that EJ is going to have to be CLEARLY the best guy by a good margin for them to put their jobs into his hands.

So if the coaches think he is the "best guy" in a close race, they won't give it to him? Even though they think he is the best guy? He isnt the best guy by enough, so lets give it to someone we dont think is the best guy? I dont get it.

So if the coaches think he is the "best guy" in a close race, they won't give it to him? Even though they think he is the best guy? He isnt the best guy by enough, so lets give it to someone we dont think is the best guy? I dont get it.

My point is that "the best guy" is subjective. It's open to interpretation.

Just think about how job searches work in almost any field.

I think (and it's just my opinion) that Rex and his staff want Tyrod to win the job and have serious doubts about EJ. Cassel is just there as a security blanket.

So in that case, for the coaches to arrive at the conclusion that EJ is "the best guy" he is going to have to win them over to a much larger degree than the other two.

Am I suggesting it isn't fair to EJ? Not overtly, because I think that the coaches would say they are being totally objective. But I do not think that any human being can be totally objective.

We tend to see what we want to see and arrive at conclusions accordingly. This message board is proof of it.

My bias? I've seen EJ be totally inept and watched the team give up on him last summer/early season. I'm currently doubtful that the guy is ever going to be a GOOD NFL QB. I currently think that he is the type of player who has to try incredibly hard just to be okay in the job. I currently think his ceiling is being better than maybe 5 other starting NFL QBs.

I say "currently" because he could still change my mind. But hearing that he threw a TD in practice doesn't move the needle. I'm going to need to hear from multiple sources that he is CLEARLY the best guy in practice on a consistent basis, and that he is generating a lot of positive buzz. Then I am going to need to see him clearly be the best QB in the preseason. Then I am going to need to see him make plays and contribute to the team winning games in the regular season.

THEN I will buy into him. That might sound like a lot, but it really isn't. All it boils down to is that he needs to clearly be better than Matt Cassel and Tyrod Taylor, then play well when the games matter. In other words, he needs to be an NFL QB.

Edited by TheFunPolice