Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

NFL has already filed suit to uphold suspension in NY, and keep out of David Doty jurisdiction according to tweet read on WEEI

Preemptive strike by the NFL. SMart SMART.

NFL is pissed on this one... Don't frig with the NFL !

Edited by plenzmd1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL has already filed suit to uphold suspension in NY, and keep out of David Doty jurisdiction according to tweet read on WEEI

yep, apparently the nflpa wanted to take it to Minnesota court

@adbrandt: NFL has asked federal court in NY to confirm Brady suspension, per @soshnick. Preemptive strike to take it away from Minn. court.

I'm sure a federal judge is going to absolutely love the fact that Brady* destroyed evidence.

Someone needs to talk some sense into him and he needs to just take the punishment.

he's too stupid to do it. he destroyed his phone thinking that would be the end of it!!!!

I must say , think we win either way as Bills fans. If he is suspended first 4 games, we get Garropalo

He plays, we are first away game and the atmosphere will be insane. Can just hear the Cheater" chant for all 3 hours.

I believe the destruction of the phone is just another lie to explain why he didn't turn it over as evidence. There is no other reason I can think of to divulge that after the fact. Perhaps immediately around the time of questioning needed to be the timing to fit in with some other lies. The idea is to isolate and boil all the circumstantial evidence down to coincidence

In my opinion, the revelation that Brady destroyed his phone is a game changer, and the absolute stupidest thing Brady could have done. The content of those texts went from being inadmissible, to admissible for any civil case that might be aimed at his exoneration.

Before, the league would have been limited only to the information they had during the investigation, and subsequent suspension. Now, they will be able to ask him why he destroyed the phone, and will be able to challenge his answer, making the contents of the texts relevant. Amazing!

im curious - ive never heard of a league filing with courts to confirm a suspension. i hope some of the legal scholars out there chime in.

I hope a federal judge is annoyed at this case and upholds the suspension because he/she's got better things to do!!!

at this point, its the league that has made first move to involve the courts

im curious - ive never heard of a league filing with courts to confirm a suspension. i hope some of the legal scholars out there chime in.

I haven't found anything regarding the NFL filing suit. I would assume they are seeking to block an injunction that they are expecting from Brady. That way, a fed judge would have to overturn another court's ruling by imposing an injunction, rather than just ruling for an injunction on its own merits. But, that is just speculation on my part.

Edited by Rocky Landing

I know that any federal case now is about Federal Labor law, so I'm conflicted: on one hand it would be a slam dunk against whether Brady was guilty. On the other, even if the case goes Brady's way, it won't prove him innocent just limiting the authority of the commissioner.

Good for Rog! gained a little respect for him with this.

We love Goodell again!

The NFL's stance on Brady changed the second that Troy Vincent took over. And who would know better than a DB who spent most of his career in Brady's division? Troy knows something is up, and something has to change.

I haven't found anything regarding the NFL filing suit. I would assume they are seeking to block an injunction that they are expecting from Brady. That way, a fed judge would have to overturn another court's ruling by imposing an injunction, rather than just ruling for an injunction on its own merits. But, that is just speculation on my part.

Yeah, that's what I gather. They're seeking "confirmation and approval" that the decision was made in accordance with the CBA and is enforceable under federal labor laws.

If granted (and there's no reason to think it won't be), then if the NFLPA files in Minnesota the judge there would have to overturn a federal counterpart.

that seems like the obvious explanation, but the concept of pre-emptively getting a court judgement confirming something that is not yet disputed surprised me (as a non-legal expert)

the theory of why you would do it is seemingly obvious, but that the courts would place themselves into that situation didnt strike me as normal

There it is...

@JimTrotter_NFL: Tom Brady has authorized the NFLPA to appeal his case in federal court, per source.

well, its about to actually get interesting if true. i know a lot of folks here doubted it would ever happen and thought it was a bluff.

I dont get it. I thought he already appealed.

and now he is suing the league, it seems. the grounds of which we will see when/if he files. if it gets past initial chatter of the next few days, we may be seeing him week 2.

Oh, this is great:

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 1m1 minute ago

Brady communicated to the commissioner that he routinely destroys his phone for security reasons.

10,000+ messages over a 4 month timespan; translates to nearly 100 messages a day. That seems a bit much doesn't it. I can't help but feel that Brady was covering up something else entirely. Were they relaying plays through text messages, or something similar? Was he getting playbook info from other sources delivered via text or something?

that seems like the obvious explanation, but the concept of pre-emptively getting a court judgement confirming something that is not yet disputed surprised me (as a non-legal expert)

the theory of why you would do it is seemingly obvious, but that the courts would place themselves into that situation didnt strike me as normal

I think the difference (if I'm correct in my assumptions-- that's a big "if") is that blocking the injunction is not affirming the NFL's findings, but affirming their authority to hand out a suspension.

Brady is still free to sue.

Edited by Rocky Landing

10,000+ messages over a 4 month timespan; translates to nearly 100 messages a day. That seems a bit much doesn't it. I can't help but feel that Brady was covering up something else entirely. Were they relaying plays through text messages, or something similar? Was he getting playbook info from other sources delivered via text or something?

I am probably close to 200 a day.

and now he is suing the league, it seems. the grounds of which we will see when/if he files. if it gets past initial chatter of the next few days, we may be seeing him week 2.

You know what. At this point I dont give a crap anymore.

Im glad top of the top Roger G upheld the decision. He knows Brady is a cheater. That's fine for now.

This will forever taint his stupid legacy to a certain degree.

Which makes me think. This ahole would have appealed even a 2 game reduction. He wanted to be cleared completely. Cheating ahole

hes a celeb - agent, coaches, teammates, wife, kids, ex wife, lawyer, friends, etc... can EASILY add up to 100 a day id imagine.

while it seems clear hes covering stuff up i dont think that 10k number is noteworthy here.

True, but it would've happened anyways. Smart move by Park Ave. to try and keep it out of the Minnesota court.

You know what. At this point I dont give a crap anymore.

Im glad top of the top Roger G upheld the decision. He knows Brady is a cheater. That's fine for now.

This will forever taint his stupid legacy to a certain degree.

Which makes me think. This ahole would have appealed even a 2 game reduction. He wanted to be cleared completely. Cheating ahole

i don't care anymore either. Our record vs him is brutal, but at this point, would love to see our D chew him up. The Ralph would be relentless.