Clemson OT Isaiah Battle to enter Supplemental draft

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks like his body would dictate his NFL position as LT. He just doesn't seem stout enough to for RT and he's way too lanky to be inside. So the big questions are:

- Does he have the athleticism to be an NFL LT?

- Does he have the drive, maturity and work ethic to work hard, learn and stay out of trouble.

If he was asked to leave Clemson's team I'd have to say that the Bills should pass despite their need. Obviously Rex has some inside insight from his son on this one, so it will speak volumes if the Bills choose to pass entirely on this kid.

He looks like his body would dictate his NFL position as LT. He just doesn't seem stout enough to for RT and he's way too lanky to be inside. So the big questions are:

- Does he have the athleticism to be an NFL LT?

- Does he have the drive, maturity and work ethic to work hard, learn and stay out of trouble.

If he was asked to leave Clemson's team I'd have to say that the Bills should pass despite their need. Obviously Rex has some inside insight from his son on this one, so it will speak volumes if the Bills choose to pass entirely on this kid.

Looks pretty mobile to me after watching some game tapes. Rarely saw him lose to his opponents speed rush. His feet seem to be light. Didn't really try to overpower anyone, more or less just contain them. Considering he was working against an OLB vs Georgia, I would've liked to see him just plow his man more than he did. I'd spend a 5th on him based on talent. Character......eh

I know we're down a 7th from the Meh deal. Do we have an extra 4th next year from the Stevie trade? Trying to inventory picks. Having an extra mid-rounder could incentivize our FO to take a shot.

no, we don't have an extra 4th. We have picks 1-6.

There goes my stupid theory. :)

Pro days are so dumb.

Sent the OL coaches. To me Rex already knows enough on the character stuff from his contacts with Clemson. The Oline guys probably looking for what shape is he in etc...

The Bills probably have a 'if he is available for X pick we will grab him', thought process. It is most likely a sixth.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Looks pretty mobile to me after watching some game tapes. Rarely saw him lose to his opponents speed rush. His feet seem to be light. Didn't really try to overpower anyone, more or less just contain them. Considering he was working against an OLB vs Georgia, I would've liked to see him just plow his man more than he did. I'd spend a 5th on him based on talent. Character......eh

That's exactly why I see him as a guy with LT potential only. Quick feet to handle the speed rushers and get into position to wall off defenders in the run game. He didn't appear to have the run blocking you'd want from a RT (much less an interior lineman).

Did we just give Stevie away for free? What am I missing?

we got a 2015 4th for him, but it was traded to Phil for Bryce Brown.

So, yes, but it was last year.

So basically we gave away Stevie and threw in the Chiefs game for nothing?

Oh, well. At least we learned our lesson, not to trade for running backs that Chip Kelly no longer wants. Oh, wait . . .

haha

I would consider using a 3rd no chance he lands to the Bills in the 4th.

If the Bills want him they will have to bid a 3rd

CBF

Just remember Seantrel had first round talent and dropped to us in the 7th. I don't know how much he would be able to help a team this year, with the strength issues he has. I'm guessing whoever takes him will have a practice squad player or a gameday inactive all year.

Just remember Seantrel had first round talent and dropped to us in the 7th. I don't know how much he would be able to help a team this year, with the strength issues he has. I'm guessing whoever takes him will have a practice squad player or a gameday inactive all year.

Good point

CBF

haha

I would consider using a 3rd no chance he lands to the Bills in the 4th.

If the Bills want him they will have to bid a 3rd

CBF

At first, I thought a 3rd or 4th as well. But I think he'll slide with those issues. So hopefully a 5th or 6th works.

lol - maybe we don't have a 6th because of Cassel trade? I thought it was a 7th.

Ha, Maybe he knows Cassell isn't making the team? So it's a forfeit instead of a trade?

Edited by qwksilver

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 2m2 minutes ago

Good chance Clemson T Isaiah Battle is picked up today, but I did talk to multiple teams that do not like the off-field risk vs reward

It's kind of crazy to me the difference in how teams approach the supplemental draft compared to the regular draft. As far as I can tell, Battle's off-field issues are pretty minor compared to plenty of guys who end up being high draft picks. It seems to me Battle offers a pretty low risk/high reward for a 3rd or 4th round pick, especially since he won't have any pressure to start in year 1.

I guess it call comes down to what the "real story" is behind his decision. Since I don't know anything about him, I really don't care if the Bills try to get him.

It's kind of crazy to me the difference in how teams approach the supplemental draft compared to the regular draft. As far as I can tell, Battle's off-field issues are pretty minor compared to plenty of guys who end up being high draft picks. It seems to me Battle offers a pretty low risk/high reward for a 3rd or 4th round pick, especially since he won't have any pressure to start in year 1.

I guess it call comes down to what the "real story" is behind his decision. Since I don't know anything about him, I really don't care if the Bills try to get him.

as far as I know, he tested positive or was caught with pot. I also read he has been kicked off the team or was about to be before he decided to declare for the supp draft. Typically teams don't cut good players just for one pot offense. So I feel like there must be more to the story. Any Clemson fans out there? Edited by YoloinOhio

as far as I know, he tested positive or was caught with pot. I also read he has been kicked off the team or was about to be before he decided to declare for the supp draft. Typically teams don't cut good players just for one pot offense. So I feel like there must be more to the story. Any Clemson fans out there?

Ah, I really haven't been searching out any info, but I had only seen that he may have been caught with pot and was possibly in the dog house regarding some on the field issues (punching someone if I remember right). Big difference between that and possibly being kicked off the team. Thought I read he was expected to be the starter on a very solid Clemson OL this year.

Anyway, I assume Dabo has given all the relevant info to the teams asking for it. I doubt there will be any real surprises.