Sal's Film Review: Greg Roman's Power Sweep

Also what Marrone did.

From what I've read, Roman does a combination of Gap and Zone blocking. I'm curious to see what he does.

I will never understand how our blocking became so terrible under Marrone... it wasn't amazing with Chan, but at least we had running room, and Fitz had enough time to get a pass off (even if it was ill advised)

I will never understand how our blocking became so terrible under Marrone... it wasn't amazing with Chan, but at least we had running room, and Fitz had enough time to get a pass off (even if it was ill advised)

Coaching matters. They also had Levitre with Chan, and most of the same players in 2013 and they weren't bad and Glenn had a great year.

Last year you saw Glenn and Wood regress. The Chris Williams debacle began. Pears, easily the 2ND weakest point on the line, got shoved inside to guard in place of the serviceable Urbik. Three rookies with excellent reviews for physical talents (Cyrus was considered a late first, Henderson was called first round talent with a 10 cent head) failed to develop.

And some point, coaching had an effect rather than talent evaluation.

What a difference personnel makes.

Zone blocking is what Chan implemented, right?

yes, with a little bit different unit. Levitre could move around the field, pull, sweep and get his hips right. Incognito is not as good at this but more powerful overall. He will fill Levitres role.

Matt Cassel replies, “Why would he do that?”

Lets not act like Cassel is Orton here....Matt does have some mobility

Coaching matters. They also had Levitre with Chan, and most of the same players in 2013 and they weren't bad and Glenn had a great year.

Last year you saw Glenn and Wood regress. The Chris Williams debacle began. Pears, easily the 2ND weakest point on the line, got shoved inside to guard in place of the serviceable Urbik. Three rookies with excellent reviews for physical talents (Cyrus was considered a late first, Henderson was called first round talent with a 10 cent head) failed to develop.

And some point, coaching had an effect rather than talent evaluation.

I know that people like to beat this drum a lot....but I would encourage people to go back and look at the 3 games Chris Willams managed to play...he was NOT as bad ad is being advertised right up till he was out on IR with the back

Im not saying he is back or even that he SHOULD be back.....I think we are good at OG....just that the OL started deteriorating quickly AFTER Chris Williams went on IR

man wouldn't it be great if there was some sort of comparison to the greg roman power sweep or crash sweep in this video so we could see what the difference is between his brand of power running and say doug marrone's or chan's? is a sweep a sweep or is one different than another? "zone" blocking seems like such a vanilla term these days like saying Rex runs a 3-4.

to me it looks exactly like the good old wing-t power series sweep. all down with backside-g pull. and btw, i don´t think it´s just gore picking the wrong hole. it´s more like the pulling G failed to kick the LB out.

Everyone does. All teams use some zone and some man blocking schemes but Zone is the predominant method in the NFL and has been for many years.

I'm admittedly incredibly ignorant when it comes to blocking schemes :lol:

Once again I will ask: Can we buy Mike Schopp out of his contract, and replace him with Sal C? I'm this close to doing a Kickstarter for this.

I catch myself listening to WGR to see what's up on Buffalo Sports, then Schopp comes on and talks about not sports, but his favorite actress, favorite food, favorite color, favorite holiday, favorite song, favorite hot dog topping... Etc... Etc...

Once again I will ask: Can we buy Mike Schopp out of his contract, and replace him with Sal C? I'm this close to doing a Kickstarter for this.

What? And miss out on the draft of characters from Orange is the New Black?

I catch myself listening to WGR to see what's up on Buffalo Sports, then Schopp comes on and talks about not sports, but his favorite actress, favorite food, favorite color, favorite holiday, favorite song, favorite hot dog topping... Etc... Etc...

And always it's I or me. The guy really loves himself.

Lets not act like Cassel is Orton here....Matt does have some mobility

It's a fact that Fitzpatrick is a much better running QB than Cassel. If you were to mentioned to anyone that you were inserting the read option offense with Fitzpatrick you'd be laughed out of the room.

The reason why guys like Fitzpatrick and Cassel from time to time gain rushing yards is because #1 they aren't afraid to do it now and again and #2 it's something that the defense isn't keying on. They're ok with the occasional 10 yard run by those type of QBs. However, those type of QBs aren't going to last long if the defense starts to key on read options because they can't get out of the way and they're going to get whacked very hard, where athletic QBs have the speed and agility to avoid those kind of "bell ringing" hits.

With the read option, you must have an athletic QB who the defense is forced to respect due to the athleticism and threat to gain huge chunks of yards consistently.

Edited by 1billsfan

It's a fact that Fitzpatrick is a much better running QB than Cassel. If you were to mentioned to anyone that you were inserting the read option offense with Fitzpatrick you'd be laughed out of the room.

The reason why guys like Fitzpatrick and Cassel from time to time gain rushing yards is because #1 they aren't afraid to do it now and again and #2 it's something that the defense isn't keying on. They're ok with the occasional 10 yard run by those type of QBs. However, those type of QBs aren't going to last long if the defense starts to key on read options because they can't get out of the way and they're going to get whacked very hard, where athletic QBs have the speed and agility to avoid those kind of "bell ringing" hits.

With the read option, you must have an athletic QB who the defense is forced to respect due to the athleticism and threat to gain huge chunks of yards consistently.

I agree that you need a mobile QB to run the read option but you also have to have a guy smart enough to read the player or the tendencies of the player responsible of the QB.

Regarding the play Coach Sal is reviewing, I hope both starting guards are asked to pull so they can add more variables and unpredictability to the offense. Can some obscure guard currently on the roster suprise and challenge Urbik, Richardson & Williams (if he ever shows up) for the back-up job?

I hated watching Urbik trying to block in space and Williams is more of a wall-off kind of guard. Richardson looked heavy and not very athletic at times last year.

as long as you can threaten the option and back it up once and again. its a threat. and thats worth some weight.

goes pack to the packages too. Should they dress Tyrod for a package?

especially early in the season. at least threaten to get weird?

as long as you can threaten the option and back it up once and again. its a threat. and thats worth some weight.

goes pack to the packages too. Should they dress Tyrod for a package?

especially early in the season. at least threaten to get weird?

that reminds me of the Browns last year. They kept saying they might have a package for Manziel every week, presumably just to keep the DCs on their toes. The joke every week was - when is Johnny going to get his package? Turns out the only package he got was a envelope full of paperwork to sign in rehab.

that reminds me of the Browns last year. They kept saying they might have a package for Manziel every week, presumably just to keep the DCs on their toes. The joke every week was - when is Johnny going to get his package? Turns out the only package he got was a envelope full of paperwork to sign in rehab.

Yes , but he really wasnt a threat. certainly after playing us.

and Yolo do you really feel its fair to compare the two?

Tyrod has the wheels. he can throw well enough so far.

sure its a bit of fantastical thought but Tyrod does offer some other skills that might be something Defenses would take time to prepare for? and EJ is probably halfway in between TT and Meh as far as read "option" run potential.

Edited by 3rdand12

Yes , but he really wasnt a threat. certainly after playing us.

and Yolo do you really feel its fair to compare the two?

Tyrod has the wheels. he can throw well enough so far.

sure its a bit of fantastical thought but Tyrod does offer some other threats. and EJ is probably halfway in between TT and Meh as far as read "option" run potential.

no not the same - I was just joking. It just reminded me of that. Edited by YoloinOhio

One of my thoughts as far as coaching the offense, tinythoughts I know, but what is the difference between calling plays for Tyrod as to calling plays for Cassel?

in regard to skill sets ? I think Cassel much more as a pocket passer . Not as homely as Orton but..

surely they have to get plays for both types of QB styles?

to me it looks exactly like the good old wing-t power series sweep. all down with backside-g pull. and btw, i don´t think it´s just gore picking the wrong hole. it´s more like the pulling G failed to kick the LB out.

That is exactly what it is. Its not even really a "zone blocking scheme". Its exactly like the old Wing T. If the D-End crosses the TE's face he goes with him and take him. The pulling Guard then goes on the LB. If the D-End goes outside the TE blocks down on the backer and the pulling guard takes the D-End. Its down down down kick out. Its not even a sweep. Its more a counter or basic power play depending on what a team's terminology is.

Fun video. Shame we have to throw this play out since now every team will know it.

Not at all. It all comes down to execution and beating your man. If we can't do that consistently it won't matter anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

Sal C > Joe B

To be fair, one is a former football coach who completely immerses himself in the game. The other is a well spoken fan with a press pass. As a fan myself, I am glad we have both offering their takes.

WGR - keeping the website the same since 1997.

Yep. But if they changed it, tons of people would complain - no matter how they changed it. Not changing is safe.

Edited by scribo

Is there any particular reason why you took what I posted and turned it into something else?

Im not disputing that the ideal QB for a read option is a athletic QB

Not at all. It all comes down to execution and beating your man. If we can't do that consistently it won't matter anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

oh great another Marrone fan. too bad we dont have CJ run the b gap on first down until he pukes/

That is exactly what it is. Its not even really a "zone blocking scheme". Its exactly like the old Wing T. If the D-End crosses the TE's face he goes with him and take him. The pulling Guard then goes on the LB. If the D-End goes outside the TE blocks down on the backer and the pulling guard takes the D-End. Its down down down kick out. Its not even a sweep. Its more a counter or basic power play depending on what a team's terminology is.

This post is why i love this place.

My son played Pop warner for couple years and my interest was piqued for sure in regard to coaching and the details within.

Thanks for sharing this knowledge1105. the more i know the better fan i can be and enjoy the game to its fullest.

oh great another Marrone fan. too bad we dont have CJ run the b gap on first down until he pukes/

This made me laugh.

I know you secretly miss Marrone, too.

GO BILLS!!!