The 1st player selected by the Bills will be...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some other threads like this out there so if you feel a need to merge it go for it. The question is simple.

Who will be the 1st player that the Bills select in this draft? This isn't who you want or a list or anything else. Who will it be?

Not to change the topic, but I was just noting that the 1st player taken by the Bills in 1983 was....

Tony Hunter. TE. Notre Dame.

That's with Jim Kelly and Dan Marino still on the board mind you!

LOL

Not to change the topic, but I was just noting that the 1st player taken by the Bills in 1983 was....

LOL

On the episode of "30 for 30" about the 1983 draft, Bills' GM (at the time) Norm Pollom explained that they took Hunter at 12 because they knew they would be able to get either Marino or Kelly at 14 (they had two first round picks).

LOL

It has been shown that they really didn't think Hunter was better than the QBs, only that they had the 12 and 14 pick, and were worried that Detroit behind them was going to take Hunter at 13 or another team would trade up for him. And the Bills had Kelly and Marino rated very closely. So if they took Hunter first they were assured of getting the TE and one of the QBs. It turned out they liked Kelly a tad more, as they had their choice.

Edit: Wot beat me to it. ;)

I know nothing of individual players.... so I'll just go through my thought process:

Areas of weakness:

OL

LB depth

TE depth

Part of me feels like the Bills want to see who they have on the OL, we spent three picks there last year, we have Glenn, picked up Incognito, and get Williams back this year. So even though the position is weak, part of me wonders if the Bills are going to "waste" there, or not. So maybe we'll go LB, right now we only have two starters (I assume we're still a '4-3' team, just lined up a bit differently). One could assume that Spikes would be back as a 2 down back, but there's no reason why he wouldn't have been signed. For TE, Clay was a good pickup, but after that we have Gragg and Gray, and neither are players I have a lot of faith in.

Logically, I'd say we go with BPA, with it weighted towards the three positions above. A stud guard would be a big get for us, but so would a LB or TE.

/ramble

Edited by Dorkington

Since when is OL a more glaring need than LB?

Glenn, Incognito, Wood....

Then you have to fill two spots with Henderson, Kouandjo, Richardson, Williams, and that other chump....

I don't see lb as a glaring need because rex only plays 2 and we have 2 strong starters. We do need one or two for depth and numbers but I don't see going there this early. They need a starting OL imo. Not only do they not know what they will get from Kouandjio but they simply need more tackles. They need a OL who can play multiple positions. Edited by YoloinOhio