Glad we don't have a 1st round pick

major

hindsight is 20/20 so now that I know we have Clay at TE i would not have gone Ebron BUT I also doubt we would be picking this low without Sammy on the team last year, it would have been a higher pick. I'm happy with how it all turned out in the end.

He definitely won us a couple games.

So let's go with Ebron + the 15th pick.

I love this argument in favour of the Watkins move by pretty much saying "hey, we would have screwed up and drafted ebron instead of ODB anyway, so it's a great trade!"

Ebron was going to be the pick, it's not anyone being cynical, it's who we were going to take if not for the trade.

I'll take Watkins over Ebron and the #19 pick this year all day.I don't think Ebron will ever be worth a pick that high. Just my 2.

Someone will tell you now that we could have had Beckham by sitting where were sitting last year and still have our 1st round pick this year,

Yes, you do. Any topic I have posted in since the Deflate Gate , you attack my opinion.

Sorry, I'm not a farmer, so I have no idea what the joke is.

no, I havent. I was barely involved in the deflate gate thread. I don't even know your issue with deflate gate. Do you mean the McEichel thread on OTW? Sorry, still no. I don't remember any of your posts over here on TSW so I certainly am not specifically attacking your opinion.

Ray Farmer.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I love this argument in favour of the Watkins move by pretty much saying "hey, we would have screwed up and drafted ebron instead of ODB anyway, so it's a great trade!"

ODB was great his rookie year. Spectacular even. However, we are constantly reminded that we do not have a great QB or even decent one. Why is it so hard for people to comprehend that Watkins would have done better, with a stable/solid QB? Let's just give it a few years before we declare Beckham the "best".

So no, we aren't saying we would've screwed up anyway, we are saying that no one rated ODB that high, and we had a different target in Ebron (who might still turn out) in mind. Just like the other 10 teams who didn't pick Beckham.

This draft sucks. Whaley knew what he was doing moving up last year to get Watkins. Name 5 no miss picks in this year's draft. There aren't any

there is no such thing as a "no-miss pick" (look no further than the top 3 picks of last years draft) but if you're looking for five "blue-chip" prospects:

1. leonard williams

2. kevin white

3. amari cooper

4. dante fowler

5. jameis winston

all qualify. (jameis will be debated, but it really looks like his off-field concerns are not even close to as serious as they've been made out to be, and on-field, he's the second-best QB prospect of the last five years, after luck).

This draft sucks. Whaley knew what he was doing moving up last year to get Watkins. Name 5 no miss picks in this year's draft. There aren't any

leonard williams

amari cooper

kevin white

dante fowler

brandon scherff

devante parker

leonard williams

amari cooper

kevin white

dante fowler

brandon scherff

devante parker

I like your list but I wouldn't classify either White or Fowler as can't miss. The rest of those guys are destined to be good if not great. White and Fowler have very high ceilings though. That is NOT a long list of can't miss guys though. This draft is more of a crapshoot than most.

leonard williams

amari cooper

kevin white

dante fowler

brandon scherff

devante parker

I don't think any of those guys are "can't miss" the way Watkins was considered. Watkins was pretty much the only one last year. Some people thought Greg Robinson was one. A lot of years there are none.

I would feel better about having the 9th pick this year than I did last year. Last year at #9 we were talking about Ebron, ODB (who turned out way better than anyone thought) and some slight mention of Zach Martin (who also turned out better than people thought). All 3 of those guys felt like a reach at #9 heading into the draft.

This year there's Winston, Mariota, Cooper, White, Fowler, Leonard Williams, Scherff as a pretty clear top 7 in my mind with guys like DeVante Parker, Trae Waynes, Vic Beasley, Danny Shelton or Gurley who could deserve consideration in that mix.

On a semi related note, does anyone else feel like teams are keeping things a little closer to the chest this year than they did last year? Maybe it was the extra time before the draft, but last year less than a week out it seemed everyone knew the Texans were going Clowney, the Rams were going Robinson, the Jags were a mystery (a lot had them going Mack), but the Bucs had pretty much said they were taking Evans.

It's ridiculous to ever say you are glad your team doesn't have a first round pick

Just when you thought you have seen everything... a post like this comes along! Yikes!!!

OP is right. What's the point of the front office doing all that stressing about a guy when he probably won't even be that good? They should probably just forget about the rest of their picks too. Just don't show up to the draft at all. Watch all these other loser teams pick the guys we may have, pay them a lot of money, and watch them flame out in a couple of years. Would you rather do that, or spend a few months lounging at the Pegulas' pad in Florida until training camp starts?

Edited by QB Bills

I guess this means Whaley is pretty hit or miss. If he had Ebron ahead of mike evans or OBJ, he really can't evaluate talent well.

i don't believe he had Ebron over Evans. Evans was taken 2 spots ahead of their original pick, they would have had to trade up for him too. The question is who they had higher if they picked 9 - Ebron or OBJ. The pre-draft discussion was they were very high on all 3 of these guys. Sammy was #1 player on their board. They felt he was the best player in the whole draft. They tried to trade as high as they could to take him. If they couldn't make the trade up that high work, they were going to try to trade up for Evans. If they couldn't trade up at all, the buzz pre-draft out of the Bills was OBJ, Zach Martin, Eric Ebron. It sounds like they were pretty close on their board. Whaley ultimately said they would have taken Ebron there over obj and Martin, assuming Evans was gone. Edited by YoloinOhio

What if they offered the #19 pick for Watkins. Would you make that trade?

Hell no. Sounds silly like that. Who goes at 19 this year? I'd have to look him up. Sure, might be a player, but.... I love Sammy and look forward to watching him while healthy. I don't know much about his hip issues, but anyone playing with broken ribs gets my respect. Oh, and he's AWESOME!

Whaley will get the player he wants at the value of the pick .

There are a lot of good players left that can be had in the second round & be a good value for the team .

absolutely true

Hehe...

WGR and their parrots are eventually going to have to face the fact that this draft stinks, that the move for Watkins was right on target, and that Whaley owns them.

Look I realize that it's difficult for some to change their minds, after we've had so many bad GMs and terrible draft decisions. But, ask yourself to review exactly how Shady McCoy ended up on this team. It didn't start with trading Kiko. No. Review the entire history.

Indisputable Bottom Line: Multiple good calls over the course of 3 years is how we got here. This is the history of Whaley as GM. If you are on the wrong side of that history? All that is required: change your mind.