You've been a Bills fan for too long if...

i love all the "experts" on here..

Funny, I thought it was that old fashioned activity that used to be called "having a discussion." You know...what message boards were invented for.

OTOH, what has your post added to this thread....

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I thought it was that old fashioned activity that used to be called "having a discussion." You know...what message boards were invented for.

OTOH, what has your post added to this thread....

nothing probably.. carry on..( not too informed but OTOH?, what does that mean).. just offered my opinion on the point of OP point going off track.. , just my attempt to "having a discussion"

Edited by dwight in philly

...You think "Cookie" is a "who", not a "what".
...You think "Rockpile" is a "what", not a "who".
...You know what "Best Exit" means.
...Your idea of a quarterback controversy is Kemp-Lamonica.
...You remember that the only Bills home game that your Mom ever wanted to see in person was against the Los Angeles Rams, and that was because the Rams brought along Jim Nabors to sing the national anthem.
...You don't think that Bruce Smith is the greatest NFL defensive lineman of all time. Shoot, you don't think that he is the greatest BILLS defensive lineman of all time (see Sestak, Tom).
...Your dad took you to Bills games while wearing a fedora and a tie with a tie clip.
...Today, you have the strongest bladder of anyone in your office because, as a kid, it was either “hold it” or use the bathrooms at War Memorial Stadium.
...You have neck problems in your middle age because you spent most of the time in your youth watching Bills games in person while straining your neck in your seat while trying to look around a pole.
...Your idea of a sideline reporter is Dick Rifenburg.
...You thought that your Dad was the coolest because he left High Mass early with you so that you wouldn’t miss the opening kickoff.
...Your dad drove to the game, parked his car on the East Side, and the car was undamaged when he returned.
...You thought that Pete Gogolak was a sissy because he wasn’t a linebacker or lineman like all the other kickers in the league.
...You can still identify the smell of a warm Genny spilled on wood seats and concrete.
...Your parents thought that Miami was a neat place full of warm weather, people their age, and Jackie Gleason.
...Your Dad would go to the game with you and would sit through rain, sleet, snow and gloom of night so that he see that twinkle-towed sissy boy Joe Namath get slapped around by Ron McDole.
...More than once, you saw a Bill in the off-season in Buffalo working his part-time job as a steelworker / laborer / truck driver.
...You remember snow fences and a cinder track.
...Yohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-HO!
...you cared what Charley Bailey says.
...you think Laverne is a man’s name.
...you remember the haze on a Saturday night caused by stadium lights and thousands of chain smokers.
...your idea of "all sports, all the time" is WBEN-AM.
...you remember when Sunday games started at 2:00 p.m., then later on at 1:30 p.m.
...you consider Marty Schottenheimer to be a linebacker, not a coach.
...you remember Saturday night games.
...you thought that Ernie Warlick was the coolest football player around, not because he played football, but because he owned a hamburger stand.
...you remember a boy scout tent on the sidelines where the cheerleaders went to change, as well as dozens of men standing on the cinder track behind the snow fence next to the boy scout tent.
...your dad parked the car by the armory.
...you know what “What’s New, Harry?” means.
...you think that the best home uniforms were the ones with the stripes around the shoulders.
...you stopped at Freddie’s Doughnuts Sunday morning before the game.
...your kids don’t believe that there were once real first names like Remi, Hagood, Birtho, Daryle, Buster, Booth, Mack and Wray.
...you know the significance of the numbers 45,748 and 46,206.
...you remember Bills’ players missing games because they were on National Guard duty.
...your idea of “color commentary” is Stan Barron.
...you never could understand why Paul Maguire was listed on the roster as “LB”.
...you thought that Orchard Park was a “farming community”.
...you remember your dad sometimes still called it “Civic Stadium”.
...you know that “Duby” was a “flanker” and that “Bass” was a “split end”.
...you remember serious talk about the “Seattle Bills”.
...you remember the Camelot Motor Inn.

Brother you are well before my fandom time.

But what an awesome post.

Was reading it on my lunch break and had a great chuckle :thumbsup::worthy::lol:

I still have the program from a Bills - Broncos game in '62, still remember the chants of "Lookie Lookie, there goes Cookie" and have the '63 playoff game loss against the Pats seared in my memory as the last game I'd attend while living in Buffalo (goodness it was cold that day). Of course, as soon as my family moved, the Bills won 2 championship in a row. I went to one more pre-season game at War Memorial against the Lions in OJ's first season with the team, although I don't recall him playing. I got to meet Daryl Lamonica when he first got to Buffalo - his first apartment was over the garage of a friend's house. I got to help teach the daughters of Paul Maguire and George Saimes how to swim while spending one summer with my Aunt. So it has been a looooong time as a Bills' fan, and while it causes considerable emotional angst, the Bills will always be my team as long as they are in Buffalo.

Nothing to do with any of that. This place is just better when we check our emotions. Unfortunately too often (not in this case) people post based on emotion which immediately alienates 1/2 of the people here and attacks get personal. This is a great topic for sure but let's not get carried away. Again, we can love our team without making crazy statements.

i totally agree and cant believe how the personal insults fly on here sometimes.. it seems some on here want to be the "guy".. the football "guru" we are all on here because of our blind love and devotion to the bills, as so i believe .. but sometimes i wonder.. it is threads like these that make it interesting.. only speaking for myself, no disrespect to anybody, but draft boards , in depth analysis of whether an O lineman is adept at pass protection is not why i am on here. i just like reading others thoughts on the bills.. as it comes up.

Nothing to do with any of that. This place is just better when we check our emotions. Unfortunately too often (not in this case) people post based on emotion which immediately alienates 1/2 of the people here and attacks get personal. This is a great topic for sure but let's not get carried away. Again, we can love our team without making crazy statements.

its a sentimental moment Kirby.

Let it roll

...You remember that the only Bills home game that your Mom ever wanted to see in person was against the Los Angeles Rams, and that was because the Rams brought along Jim Nabors to sing the national anthem.

...You don't think that Bruce Smith is the greatest NFL defensive lineman of all time. Shoot, you don't think that he is the greatest BILLS defensive lineman of all time (see Sestak, Tom).

...Your dad took you to Bills games while wearing a fedora and a tie with a tie clip.

...Today, you have the strongest bladder of anyone in your office because, as a kid, it was either “hold it” or use the bathrooms at War Memorial Stadium.

...You have neck problems in your middle age because you spent most of the time in your youth watching Bills games in person while straining your neck in your seat while trying to look around a pole.

...You thought that your Dad was the coolest because he left High Mass early with you so that you wouldn’t miss the opening kickoff.

...Your dad drove to the game, parked his car on the East Side, and the car was undamaged when he returned.

...You thought that Pete Gogolak was a sissy because he wasn’t a linebacker or lineman like all the other kickers in the league.

...You can still identify the smell of a warm Genny spilled on wood seats and concrete.

...Your parents thought that Miami was a neat place full of warm weather, people their age, and Jackie Gleason.

...Your Dad would go to the game with you and would sit through rain, sleet, snow and gloom of night so that he see that twinkle-towed sissy boy Joe Namath get slapped around by Ron McDole.

...More than once, you saw a Bill in the off-season in Buffalo working his part-time job as a steelworker / laborer / truck driver.

...you remember the haze on a Saturday night caused by stadium lights and thousands of chain smokers.

...you remember when Sunday games started at 2:00 p.m., then later on at 1:30 p.m.

...you thought that Ernie Warlick was the coolest football player around, not because he played football, but because he owned a hamburger stand.

...you remember a boy scout tent on the sidelines where the cheerleaders went to change, as well as dozens of men standing on the cinder track behind the snow fence next to the boy scout tent.

...you think that the best home uniforms were the ones with the stripes around the shoulders.

...your kids don’t believe that there were once real first names like Remi, Hagood, Birtho, Daryle, Buster, Booth, Mack and Wray.

...you remember Bills’ players missing games because they were on National Guard duty.

...you never could understand why Paul Maguire was listed on the roster as “LB”.

Super thread

i totally agree and cant believe how the personal insults fly on here sometimes.. it seems some on here want to be the "guy".. the football "guru" we are all on here because of our blind love and devotion to the bills, as so i believe .. but sometimes i wonder.. it is threads like these that make it interesting.. only speaking for myself, no disrespect to anybody, but draft boards , in depth analysis of whether an O lineman is adept at pass protection is not why i am on here. i just like reading others thoughts on the bills.. as it comes up.

this is good wording.

I was born in 61. the first time i recognized football was in Atlanta. We had just moved there and were staying in a upscale motel it seemed ( had many floors and lotsa elevators). I had fallen and broken my nose really really good and i always remember people asking me if i was in the game. and smiling. that was 67 or so.

I did not move up here to Rochester area till 75. So i missed plenty and that why i love getting on here and reading these stories !!!

I was a fan during the SB years and attended enough games. then it fell off and life got busy.

Now i am full on and have been really attentive since the Chan years.

reading posts from you older gentlemen always make me smile. I am still learning and glad to have this place for the camaraderie.

Now its in my blood. My kids know it my friends know it !

this is good wording.

I was born in 61. the first time i recognized football was in Atlanta. We had just moved there and were staying in a upscale motel it seemed ( had many floors and lotsa elevators). I had fallen and broken my nose really really good and i always remember people asking me if i was in the game. and smiling. that was 67 or so.

I did not move up here to Rochester area till 75. So i missed plenty and that why i love getting on here and reading these stories !!!

I was a fan during the SB years and attended enough games. then it fell off and life got busy.

Now i am full on and have been really attentive since the Chan years.

reading posts from you older gentlemen always make me smile. I am still learning and glad to have this place for the camaraderie.

Now its in my blood. My kids know it my friends know it !

:thumbsup:

Best Exit? Best Street exit, right? Otherwise, I don't get this one....and I'm in my mid 50's and saw more than a few games at the Rockpile down in the Fruit Belt.....

Best Exit? Best Street exit, right? Otherwise, I don't get this one....and I'm in my mid 50's and saw more than a few games at the Rockpile down in the Fruit Belt.....

yep, best st exit.. it was a sign that said "best st exit" right near the tunnel , hard to explain the exact location of the sign, but you are correct.

I go back to the Rockpile days. Our seats were under the roof, but right where the seam leaked. Instead of coverage, we had a firehose shooting water down on us. Hung out with the children of Jack Kemp, Butch Byrd, etc. as a child. I'm not your best X and O guy. I played but never coached. I loved the nostalgia as I can relate to most of it. (And I'm not sure if there was ever a better Bills player than Bruce, but that's another topic.)

<snip>l. This is a great topic for sure but let's not get carried away. Again, we can love our team without making crazy statements.

...Superbowl 50 champions!

OTOH, we can love our team and make crazy statements! :beer:

my first 'jump-off-the-couch-and-shout-at-the-television' rant took place during the '66 championship game when i was 10.. the particulars are hazy, but i'm pretty sure it was a kickoff, and the Chiefs' Bobby Bell committed a blatant clip during the play that didn't get flagged.

thus began almost 50 more years of watching my team get screwed by the refs! :rolleyes:

and oh, by the way.. my wife still has to shout down to the family room to sarcastically remind me that - "they can't hear you!"

fantastic OP! made even better by some fantastic memories.. :thumbsup:

- you remember watching AFL Hilights, with Charlie Jones

- you remember the taxi squad

- you remember thinking, "How did the Dolphins get better than us?"

- you remember them as the Boston Patriots

- you remember wondering, why aren't Flores and Powell as good with us as they were with the Raiders?

- you remember the first number O.J. wore as a Bill (36), and you remember who had 32 (McDermott)

- you remember fearing having to play against Bambi

- you remember how exciting it was to play teams like the Rams or Vikings for the first time, even if it was preseason

- speaking of preseason, you remember when it was six games

There's a Bills greatest moments video, I believe from NFL Films, where Paul Maguire talks about McDole and someone else eating so many lobster daintees at a place in Dunkirk that they were told never to return for all you can eat night. I believe they ate their jersey # worth.

Edited by TheJuice

i remember a season ticket that a group had for a seat to hold a keg.. you didnt think of it as a big deal at the time(and being 8-10 years old , didnt pay it much mind), but in hindsight, it is unbelievable that it was done.

That's a GREAT recollection! Thanks for posting it. These kinds of things about the old days of Bills fandom must be told to the new generation of Bills fans so they get a better sense of how things were in earlier times.

AFL-game-program_1962-Denver-Broncos_buf

My father is the artist for all of those covers from the early days. He got $35 per drawing, plus he did some of the artwork inside the programs. As a kid I would watch him drawing the next cover and since we shared the same name, he would hide his (our) signature in the drawing to see if I could find it. He wouldn't put it in until the final version. He was a salesman for Holling press, and he handled the account for the bills programs until he left. Every Thursday he would bring home this weeks program. I had a full set from around 1967-1974 as well as several random ones from the early 60s. I went away to college, and Mom decided to clean up......they were all gone.

There's a Bills greatest moments video, I believe from NFL Films, where Paul Maguire talks about McDole and someone else eating so many lobster daintees at a place in Dunkirk that they were told never to return for all you can eat night. I believe they ate their jersey # worth.

I've seen that video! It's an awesome story by McGuire. It was a place that offered all-you-can-eat lobster dainties & those guys eat dozens and dozens of them 'til there was no more. While they were doing that, according to McGuire, they washed the lobsters down with several pitchers of beer, topped off with every one of them (there were about 5 -6 Bills at this place) had butterscotch sundaes for desert! When they were through, the owner came over to them & told them to "get out and never come back"! I laughed my U know what off. And McGuire was the perfect guy to tell that story! To me, he seemed more like that real informed football fan that hangs out at your neighborhood bar, and is always willing to talk football with. Anyway, a great story. Thanks Juice for posting it!

Ha great...

you haven't been a fan long enough if:

wide right..is japanese for wild night

jim kelly is just a guy who beat cancer

My father is the artist for all of those covers from the early days. He got $35 per drawing, plus he did some of the artwork inside the programs. As a kid I would watch him drawing the next cover and since we shared the same name, he would hide his (our) signature in the drawing to see if I could find it. He wouldn't put it in until the final version. He was a salesman for Holling press, and he handled the account for the bills programs until he left. Every Thursday he would bring home this weeks program. I had a full set from around 1967-1974 as well as several random ones from the early 60s. I went away to college, and Mom decided to clean up......they were all g

WOW that sucks mom tossed them

My father is the artist for all of those covers from the early days. He got $35 per drawing, plus he did some of the artwork inside the programs. As a kid I would watch him drawing the next cover and since we shared the same name, he would hide his (our) signature in the drawing to see if I could find it. He wouldn't put it in until the final version. He was a salesman for Holling press, and he handled the account for the bills programs until he left. Every Thursday he would bring home this weeks program. I had a full set from around 1967-1974 as well as several random ones from the early 60s. I went away to college, and Mom decided to clean up......they were all gone.

Thanks for sharing that story with us. It's a good one.

my first 'jump-off-the-couch-and-shout-at-the-television' rant took place during the '66 championship game when i was 10.. the particulars are hazy, but i'm pretty sure it was a kickoff, and the Chiefs' Bobby Bell committed a blatant clip during the play that didn't get flagged.

thus began almost 50 more years of watching my team get screwed by the refs! :rolleyes:

and oh, by the way.. my wife still has to shout down to the family room to sarcastically remind me that - "they can't hear you!"

fantastic OP! made even better by some fantastic memories.. :thumbsup:

Dudley Meredith fumbled the opening kickoff leading to Chiefs TD, and yes, Bobby Bell creamed someone after the whistle and no flag.

Does anyone actually think that Tom Sestak was better than Bruce Smith? While Sestak was a great athlete Bruce is arguably the greatest DE of all-time. He is at least on the short list. He had 200 sacks as a 3-4 DE.

I never saw Sestak play but anybody that thinks he was better then Bruce Smith is delusional.

I've seen that video! It's an awesome story by McGuire. It was a place that offered all-you-can-eat lobster dainties & those guys eat dozens and dozens of them 'til there was no more. While they were doing that, according to McGuire, they washed the lobsters down with several pitchers of beer, topped off with every one of them (there were about 5 -6 Bills at this place) had butterscotch sundaes for desert! When they were through, the owner came over to them & told them to "get out and never come back"! I laughed my U know what off. And McGuire was the perfect guy to tell that story! To me, he seemed more like that real informed football fan that hangs out at your neighborhood bar, and is always willing to talk football with. Anyway, a great story. Thanks Juice for posting it!

Great story, both very large men and well fed.

WHY DID THEY TRADE MOSES?!?

Denver Broncos. The Bills had four great wideouts in 1971 - JD Hill, Heaven Moses, Marlin Briscoe, and Bobby Chandler but still had crap for offense.