Greg Roman going to pull a Mike Pettine?

Greg Roman was on the John Murphy Show tonight:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Roman-This-group-has-a-chance-to-be-special/01f13be0-897f-4d23-9c61-bdd223cf0cd4

I'm thinking Roman is trying to become the Pettine to Rex's Marrone. I'd thought about it previously, but this interview just re-enforced the idea in my head. In particular, the part where he stresses that he's coached every position, on offense and defense, and "that was by design." His end game is HC. If he has a good year on offense with his "organized chaos" -- and our O goes from bottom-of-the-league, to a respectable squad -- I think he's going to one-and-done us.

To be fair, that's probably the mindset of a lot of coordinators around the league.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it happens....it means he did a good job for us

I think he's two years away, but great, if he gets a sniff, it's because he did a great job for us and we made marked improvement. If he leaves, I have complete faith that Pegs will spend to bring in top notch coaches.

I think he's two years away, but great, if he gets a sniff, it's because he did a great job for us and we made marked improvement. If he leaves, I have complete faith that Pegs will spend to bring in top notch coaches.

Pettines situation was weird due to clevelands mess. Roman is likewise a respected guy but needs to make his own name. Reasonably that's a 2 year process most of the time.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Roman-This-group-has-a-chance-to-be-special/01f13be0-897f-4d23-9c61-bdd223cf0cd4

I'm thinking Roman is trying to become the Pettine to Rex's Marrone. I'd thought about it previously, but this interview just re-enforced the idea in my head. In particular, the part where he stresses that he's coached every position, on offense and defense, and "that was by design." His end game is HC. If he has a good year on offense with his "organized chaos" -- and our O goes from bottom-of-the-league, to a respectable squad -- I think he's going to one-and-done us.

To be fair, that's probably the mindset of a lot of coordinators around the league.

At least we can solace that it appears the franchise is going after good coaches more recently

Of course his end game is HC, every single coordinator in the NFL has that end game. All we can hope is that he turns this offense around so he can attain his end game. I don't think it would be one and done though.

If he is one and done it means that either EJ or Tyrod were turned into a bonafide starter and the passing game looked good. Only turning around the career of a young QB would illicit that type of demand for him. If that's the case I'll take it.

He would have got a HC job in the 9ers Superbowl year had they lost earlier in the play-offs. He was hot property back then. He is in a different situation than Pettine in that Roman has had interviews every year over the past 3 or 4 which could work for him in that he is already in the minds of many but could work against him in that those guys who get look after look and never land one sometimes end up being passed by trendier "hot" names of the moment. It happened to Mike Zimmer and he then went a few years without looks before his sheer excellence as DC at Cincy forced him back into the picture.

With our Defense, if our Offense improves enough for Roman to be considered a HC candidate we will be Super Bowl contenders this year. I can live with that.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Only if 4 other guys decline the Browns HC job next season...

He would have got a HC job in the 9ers Superbowl year had they lost earlier in the play-offs. He was hot property back then. He is in a different situation than Pettine in that Roman has had interviews every year over the past 3 or 4 which could work for him in that he is already in the minds of many but could work against him in that those guys who get look after look and never land one sometimes end up being passed by trendier "hot" names of the moment. It happened to Mike Zimmer and he then went a few years without looks before his sheer excellence as DC at Cincy forced him back into the picture.

Yup. His name has been up for HC positions in the past. With any success I expect that to happen again be it next offseason, two years from now or whenever. He's going to have to strike while the iron is hot.

I think he's already had HC interviews in the past and he will be highly sought after if he is able to develop and reach the playoffs with one of our young QBs or a guy like Cassel. Similar to Pettine he is taking over an underachieving unit so if he can significantly boost the offensive production he will look even better compared to where it was.

Edited by YoloinOhio

A guy trying to get promoted? What a dick!

+1 Yea, the nerve of some people actually trying to reach their goals.

Of course his end game is HC, every single coordinator in the NFL has that end game.

I don't think Dick LeBeau has that as his end game. I have a feeling that eventually some guys realize they're best served as coordinators. Dick Jauron comes to mind, don't know if he's realized it yet, though.

if he does well enough with our offense to get a HC job then that means that we definitely made the playoffs and possibly went pretty deep into them. our defense is so good that even if we have a middle of the league offense then we are going to win a lot of games (double digit wins)

I think he's already had HC interviews in the past and he will be highly sought after if he is able to develop and reach the playoffs with one of our young QBs or a guy like Cassel. Similar to Pettine he is taking over an underachieving unit so if he can significantly boost the offensive production he will look even better compared to where it was.

I'm pretty sure we interviewed him this offseason for our HC position