EJ worked out with former NFL QB Steve DeBerg

John Murphy introduced him as having more yardage than Aikman, more completions than Unitas, higher comp% than Elway. Lost his starting spot to HOF QBs more than once. He was the QB on the KC team that routed the Bills on an infamous Monday night game. They could not block Thomas with the crowd noise, Kelly was sacked 6 times and they lost 33 to 6. Showed how a total protection breakdown can wreck an offense filled with HOF/Pro Bowl talent. JJ Watt anyone?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to DeBerg on the John Murphy show now. Sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about. Or maybe he's nervous I don't know. He's all over the place though. Anyone else listening?

Well, you know, I thought he sounded ok, and um, well, you know, not showing any signs of, you know, all the beatings, and um, concussions, he suffered as a pro.

Lot of symbolism, not much substance.

It seems like EJ's talked to or worked with every QB who's played in the NFL since 1970. And does this mean he's done with George Whitfield? ;) How many coaches/mentors does this guy need?

And will EJ be attending the Manning QB camp now? :lol:

John Murphy introduced him as having more yardage than Aikman, more completions than Unitas, higher comp% than Elway. Lost his starting spot to HOF QBs more than once. He was the QB on the KC team that routed the Bills on an infamous Monday night game. They could not block Thomas with the crowd noise, Kelly was sacked 6 times and they lost 33 to 6. Showed how a total protection breakdown can wreck an offense filled with HOF/Pro Bowl talent. JJ Watt anyone?

I remember almost crying myself to sleep after that MNF loss; I was 11 years old and really devastated by that one.

It seems like EJ's talked to or worked with every QB who's played in the NFL since 1970. And does this mean he's done with George Whitfield? ;) How many coaches/mentors does this guy need?

what is it symbolic of? how do you already know it lacks substance? And why the snarkiness about a young player seeking out coaching/mentoring to try and improve his game? Edited by YoloinOhio

Whenever I hear about changing mechanics I think about my High-school tennis coach changing my backhand at the end of my sophomore year and how it was worse my entire junior year, it was better my senior year but how much was from changed mechanics and how much just from maturing and hours of hitting I don't know - and I don't know if this is relevant to football but I hope EJ doesn't go through worse before it's better.

I have no prob with EJ being taught by a guy who did not have an HoF career as the saying those who can't do sometimes teach is actually based in reality.

In fact, I think an HoF QB like Steve Young, John Elway or other stars I would never naturally see as EJ useful instructors as thy succeeded in part by consistently doing things that EJ or no mere mortal could ever do.

EJ likely has the most to learn from a marginal talent like Deberg who grasped the game well enuf to overcome his limitations

Whenever I hear about changing mechanics I think about my High-school tennis coach changing my backhand at the end of my sophomore year and how it was worse my entire junior year, it was better my senior year but how much was from changed mechanics and how much just from maturing and hours of hitting I don't know - and I don't know if this is relevant to football but I hope EJ doesn't go through worse before it's better.

That is the natural progression of changing a bad mechanic in any sport.

EJ changed his throwing motion before last season as well by tightening it up. He also worked hard on his foot work. These types of things are exactly why people say that it takes years for a young QB to be able to come in and really get comfortable as they're working on mechanics while at the same time trying to adjust to the speed and complexity of NFL defenses.

My question is: Why the hell aren't college coaches working on mechanics? It seems like they just let these kids come in and wing it.

That is the natural progression of changing a bad mechanic in any sport.

EJ changed his throwing motion before last season as well by tightening it up. He also worked hard on his foot work. These types of things are exactly why people say that it takes years for a young QB to be able to come in and really get comfortable as they're working on mechanics while at the same time trying to adjust to the speed and complexity of NFL defenses.

My question is: Why the hell aren't college coaches working on mechanics? It seems like they just let these kids come in and wing it.

Because they only get the get for 4 years max. And their is always another talented free player coming right behind him

Does you guys remember the EJ "lull" last year?

I recall 1/2 our section sleeping by the second quarter, he would literally lull us to sleep. That is how boring our offense was.

Orton really sparked that offense and saved the season.

What is this guy going to teach EJ that is actually going to help when real bullets are flying?

Imo

Did EJ design last year's offense?

You really should recuse yourself from any discussions involving EJ, because you showed your hand when you predicted he would be cut 2 days into FA.

QBs need time to develop. The original plan for EJ was not that he would immediately start. He got that "on the bench" training last year, and took it upon himself to work hard this offseason with an NFL veteran to try and get better. How anyone could possibly criticize him for that, or presume there's nothing he could learn from DeBerg, is the epitome of ignorance.

Imo

When I played organized sports, I was subjected to many coaches each of whom taught/showed me different nuances that augmented my game and made me a better player. I see no difference here.