EJ worked out with former NFL QB Steve DeBerg

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I doubt we will ever know the reason unless Doug Marone writes a tell all blog or book

I never thought there was a book I'd want to read less than 50 Shades of Grey. But the Marrone autobiography is it. "The Doug Marrone Story: How to Act Like Lombardi when you are really Rich Kottie."

I don't want to butt into a personal back-and-forth

Somehow Jauron was able to get 7-9 records with a roster which, after he left, had general talk about a bare talent cupboard and Wilson saying "with a hearty laugh" "our drafts have been absolutely terrible". He came on the heels of the Donahue disaster and with Marv Levy then Russ Brandon as his GMs - two guys who had no experience at that side of the job and did not seem able to build the quality scouting organization needed to acquire quality talent. He dealt with an increasingly change-adverse Russ Willson.

I'm not saying Jauron was a good HC - I think a HC does need to show confidence and enthusiasm and to have some charisma to build rappore in the locker room, and of course in a healthy HC-GM relationship the HC has a lot of input into what profile of player is sought and even who gets drafted. But it does seem to be a fact that he did more with less talent than three coaches who followed after him. We drafted Dareus, we signed Mario Williams, Byrd and Kyle Williams emerged as premier players, and still Gailey and Marrone's 1st year couldn't even get to 7-10.

The thought occasionally does cross my mind, that perhaps Jauron was under-rated as a coach, and to ask could he have done more with better talent?

Good post. That's why I hated Marrone. As average as best coaches Jauron and Gailey were, I think they overachieved with a pretty crappy record. There isn't a doubt in mind that Jauron would have been at least 9-7 with this team last year and Gailey, IMO, would have had us in the playoffs. And they are fair from good coaches.

Talent, especially at the QB position, is what wins games.

simple conjecture on your part. We fans here do not know the real reason why they "settled" on Orton.

if you have inside information a link would be nice to read

apologies

amended

or if he is the failure the detractors presume he is.

Yesterday, I linked an article published at the time. You can go back and read it.

You do realize that signing a competent veteran backup QB is SOP for most teams, even with a Luck-quality starter entrenched? The real question is why we didn't have one or more in camp to start OTAs. The answer may be in this list of some FA QB from 2014. Many of them signed pretty quickly with other teams (Henne, McCown). Others were pretty chancy for injury or performance reasons (Freeman, Garrard, Vick, eventually Schaub). Marrone may also have had strong preferences (for example, for a WCO guy) which may have limited the selection they considered.

It was pretty slim pickin's and rumor has it the Bills wanted Orton from the start, he just hung back and they couldn't close the deal until after pre-season.

I think it's creative writing to make Orton into a "disaster hedge". Maybe, maybe not.

The Bills had several veteran QBs on the roster in camp. They got rid of them late in the preseason, well after OTas started, and days before Orton was signed. It's the only scenario that makes sense for pulling EJ after 2-2.

I'd be happy to consider an alternative explanation.

The Orton hedge isn't something I made up. It was reported at the time.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Why misquote me? I thought we were having a serious conversation. I DID say that for a period of time, Levitre was the best blocker on this team. YOU recently said that Glenn went downhill due to playing next to poor guards. How did he look next to AL?

I don't want to bet against EJ. I want to cheer for him, if in fact he shows enough in camp to see the field. Optimism is a wonderful thing but not everybody is mandated to be this way, nor to agree with you (or of course me) on every topic.

PS: Jauron's wonderful record was due to 1 season with the Bears. Did he ever have another winning season after that? He was a flat out disaster in Buffalo. Along with Levy as GM, they set back this franchise many, many years. You can try but you can't clean this up with nonsensical, self serving stats.

Oh, and do be well. The dialogue is always a pleasure. I mean this.

I always the conversation Bill, despite our different point of views. We both want the same thing. If you are ever at McFadden's sometime this year, I'll :beer: .

Yesterday, I linked an article published at the time. You can go back and read it.

The Bills had several veteran QBs on the roster in camp. They got rid of them late in the preseason, well after OTas started, and days before Orton was signed. It's the only scenario that makes sense for pulling EJ after 2-2.

I'd be happy to consider an alternative explanation.

The Orton hedge isn't something I made up. It was reported at the time.

Some would like to believe that cutting Palmer in favor of Orton wasn't because the back-up might have to play.

LOL

I never thought there was a book I'd want to read less than 50 Shades of Grey. But the Marrone autobiography is it. "The Doug Marrone Story: How to Act Like Lombardi when you are really Rich Kottie."

LOL

like EJ is the ONLY QB ever with 1 pick 6 in a game