EJ worked out with former NFL QB Steve DeBerg

What in the world are you rambling about? The IMO guy said a dumb statement about Orton saying the season. Bills Fan pointed out how dumb it because Orton did nothing to save the season (they weren't last in 3 and outs, they were 26th). Orton had the same QBR as Manuel did as a rookie and basically had the same winning % as Manuel (NE didn't try).

So to say Orton saved the season is mindblowingly dumb.

Also, I'd take this DeBerg season from one of our QBs:

I still think EJ should spend all offseason hanging with Peyton.

You're telling me BF4E has been spouting that "last in 3 and outs," for months and it wasn't even true? High comedy.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, well if he is learning from the great Steve DeBerg then we are all set. He will transform EJ into a quality backup QB. Super Bowl!!!

Oh yeah. How many Super bowls did Steve DeBerg win again?? :rolleyes:

DeBerg served as the head coach of the Arena Football League's Indiana Firebirds in 2004 for 5 games. The team's record during his tenure was 0-5.

i meant "coaches" in general (like what he's doing now; mentoring/teaching)... Not that backup QBs make the best head coaches.

Does you guys remember the EJ "lull" last year?

I recall 1/2 our section sleeping by the second quarter, he would literally lull us to sleep. That is how boring our offense was.

Orton really sparked that offense and saved the season.

What is this guy going to teach EJ that is actually going to help when real bullets are flying?

Imo

So we have now established that you sit in a SECTION........of the bills stadium

Im going to assume that section might not be with the common folk but perhaps up in one of the higher profile boxes?

I do partially agree with what you are saying......when both QBs STARTING OUT

EJ Manuel was protective of the ball......was not instinctive in throwing it......didnt take chances

Kyle Orton was a gunslinger......threw the ball with authority......took more chances

but as with both of these qbs after enough games played neither were playing well.......Orton was throwing a LOT of 3 and outs and it was further hampered by the fact that he has no wheels whatsoever to keep a drive going....get a fresh set of downs

One note on Deberg......I would call Steve Deberg the SURVIVOR of his day.......he never had the great tools but he found a way to stay in the league.....start several games.

In a way....he is the PERFECT coach if he knows how to translate his experience and knowledge to his students......a guy like EJ Manuel has better physical weapons......he needs Deberg's consistancy

So we have now established that you sit in a SECTION........of the bills stadium

Im going to assume that section might not be with the common folk but perhaps up in one of the higher profile boxes?

I do partially agree with what you are saying......when both QBs STARTING OUT

EJ Manuel was protective of the ball......was not instinctive in throwing it......didnt take chances

Kyle Orton was a gunslinger......threw the ball with authority......took more chances

but as with both of these qbs after enough games played neither were playing well.......Orton was throwing a LOT of 3 and outs and it was further hampered by the fact that he has no wheels whatsoever to keep a drive going....get a fresh set of downs

One note on Deberg......I would call Steve Deberg the SURVIVOR of his day.......he never had the great tools but he found a way to stay in the league.....start several games.

In a way....he is the PERFECT coach if he knows how to translate his experience and knowledge to his students......a guy like EJ Manuel has better physical weapons......he needs Deberg's consistancy

Good post John. I won't refer to Orton as gunslinger but overall well stated.

Our offense was very boring no matter who was under center during the Marrone years.

How can anyone say Orton was exciting? The games we won, we won in spite of his play. Detroit? Cleveland? Green Bay? All of those games were up in the air far too long because of poor offense.

No one knows if EJ would have done better, but after his first few games Orton sunk like a rock. After the first Jets game, I was starting to see no difference between Orton and EJ's first four games.

I love that no matter what EJ does, people will crap on it.

EJ not having a QB coach? Crap.

EJ working out with WRs over the offseason? Crap.

EJ working with a QB coach? Crap.

I think a lot of fans have a very misguided perception of EJ Manuel. I used to think that Bills fans were a lot smarter than most other NFL teams' fans but I'm starting to questioning this.

Manuel was a project and that basic fact just flies over so many peoples bills fans heads that it's not even funny. It's actually kind of sad how many people here just ignore this aspect of EJ Manuel. His stats are exactly what was expected.

So they think it's funny to bust on him as if he was supposed to be this near lock QB when he was drafted. I blame a lot of the stupidity on the local radio station WGR. That station just talks hockey when NFL's not in season and when they do talk they sound stupid. Their hosts like to say "I don't know" a lot. Very informing!

EJ Manuel was a 1st round project QB who was always considered a raw college QB who would take at least three years too develop into anything close to being an average NFL stater. It's year three. He's put in the time and effort. Let's not bust on that effort and perhaps just wait and watch what he does when they start to practice.

Edited by 1billsfan

On his wiki page it says DeBerg acquired a reputation for playing through "unique and gruesome injuries" such as laryngitis in 1990 when he wore a portable voice amplifier during the game and a 1993 playoff game was played with an exposed metal pin in his non throwing hand.

So he's teaching EJ how to yell and stab people.

What in the world are you rambling about? The IMO guy said a dumb statement about Orton saying the season. Bills Fan pointed out how dumb it because Orton did nothing to save the season (they weren't last in 3 and outs, they were 26th). Orton had the same QBR as Manuel did as a rookie and basically had the same winning % as Manuel (NE didn't try).

they were 26th because EJ played 4 games and kept them off he bottom.

no matter what people sat the EJ haters are gonna hate.

Whaley and Marrone's famous camp sdieline fight was over Whaley's signing of Orton, fearing it would alter EJ's "fragile confidence". After EJ stumbled out of the gate, Marrone reversed himself on Orton likely because he felt with another losing season (with EJ), the new owner would clean house (which is also why Whaley signed Orton).

You should apologize to Leroi..

the rumors I heard were that Whaley and Marrone's famous camp sdieline fight was about signing Sammy at such a high price.

They signed Orton for a veteran presence like they signed Kolb. Someone to help mentor

I love that no matter what EJ does, people will crap on it.

EJ not having a QB coach? Crap.

EJ working out with WRs over the offseason? Crap.

EJ working with a QB coach? Crap.

like I said HGH

the rumors I heard were that Whaley and Marrone's famous camp sdieline fight was about signing Sammy at such a high price.

They signed Orton for a veteran presence like they signed Kolb. Someone to help mentor

like I said HGH

they were fighting about signing Sammy at such a high price? Where did you hear that... Why would Marrone even care what he is paid and the rookie contracts are slotted based on draft position. He was going to get paid a set amount... Edited by YoloinOhio

My high school jv basketball coach. Wasnt until varsity where i just did what i felt comfortable doing and it worked... some idiots would change Reggie Miller's shooting form. Why not just let someone especially at this point in the game just play. EJs problem was never any of this crap. His problem is that there are too many people trying to coach and control him. Je needs one guy MAYBE 2 who can make him stronger in what he is good at. Teach him to read an NFL defense. How to know when to take off. And boost his comfort and confidence. He got through high school. Through college... and now in the league. He did something right. Maybe he is never a nfl qb consistently. But let's him play and lets evaluate HIS GAME. I honestly think his ceiling is Cam Newton. How many wouldnt want him here.

I'm thinking Steve McNair

Pretty straightforward. Bill 4ever fan said Leroi wasn't as good at assessing Orton as "the pros". I simply pointed out that our "pro" thought highly enough about Orton (and was shakey enough over EJ) that he brought in Orton at the 11th hour before the season started. No reason to believe that we would have had a winning record with EJ as starter.

Also, there is no reason to believe (for the same reasons) that Orton would not still be on the roster right now if he hadn't quit football (again).

So..leroi and our "pro" pretty much have the same opinion of Orton.

I didn't think it was that hard to follow, honestly.

I thought the lack of confidence in having Tuel as the backup was a reason for signing Orton

I like that he said he's only changing his mechanics a bit. I've always read that you can't really change the throwing motion you've had all your life cause when you get tired or under pressure you revert back to the most comfortable original position. You can change some little things but thats about it.

I think that, to change any of your fundamentals, you have to drill the new style so many times, that it becomes the new "comfortable, original position."

Like tens of thousands of times. Like 1000 every day in the offseason, in different situations. Not just 200 per day for a couple weeks, like Manziel or Tebow.

Edited by maddenboy

I like that he said he's only changing his mechanics a bit. I've always read that you can't really change the throwing motion you've had all your life cause when you get tired or under pressure you revert back to the most comfortable original position. You can change some little things but thats about it.

So true.

like I said HGH

I think you just made that up. The timeline sinks your "rumors".

They signed Sammy on May 28th. There is no way they would be arguing about that amount....in September.

Kplb was injured on 8/3.

Orton wasn't signed until one day after the preseason on 8/29.

The sideline fight with Whaley was reported a few days after Orton's sudden, last minute signing--and 3 days before Week 1 game.

So, weeks after Kolb is out of the picture, and after EJ looks rough in the Bucs preseason game, suddenly Orton appears on the roster---and your explanation is that he was brought in that late to somehow be a "veteran presence" and a "mentor" just as the season is about to start?

Yeah, that makes no sense at all. The reason they were fighting is almost certainly as it was reported--they disagreed over Orton.

Listening to DeBerg on the John Murphy show now. Sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about. Or maybe he's nervous I don't know. He's all over the place though. Anyone else listening?

fyi - sounds like a good show tonight. Ej manuel, Aaron Kromer, bill Polian