Joe Rose: Charles Clay is a real mismatch

ASU coach Todd Graham was Clay's coach at Tulsa and also has spoken highly of him. I can't remember the specific things he said, but it was more or less holding Clay up as an example for what he wanted from his TEs. Rose mentioned in this interview using Clay out of the backfield, and I did notice in his college stats that Tulsa handed the ball off to him a lot.

pretty average TE higlights. But I got 2 things from the video.

1) It sickens me to actually root for a dolphins player to actually do anything good. I had to stop watching around 2 minutes in.

2) If you watch all the passing routes (instead of just Clay) and Defense at every snap, you will see that Tannehill looks like he understands NFL Quarterbacking. He seems to make quick reads, AND, once he decides, the ball placement is really sweet.

Just sayin. :sick:

Did anybody actually listen to that. Joe Rose knew what he was talking about and made some very interesting points.

1. The Dolphins have too many holes on their roster to cripple their cap with the Clay deal.

2. If they lost Clay they would lose 4 of the top 5 receivers on the team from last year. That might motivate them to keep him.

He really built Clay up. Then he showed some genuine excitement for the Bills. It got me excited. Then he told John Murphy "You guys must be excited!", then John Murphy replied in the most whiny, bored, jaded voice ever, "we are". Man, Bills fans are the biggest debbie downers.

Did anybody actually listen to that. Joe Rose knew what he was talking about and made some very interesting points.

1. The Dolphins have too many holes on their roster to cripple their cap with the Clay deal.

2. If they lost Clay they would lose 4 of the top 5 receivers on the team from last year. That might motivate them to keep him.

He really built Clay up. Then he showed some genuine excitement for the Bills. It got me excited. Then he told John Murphy "You guys must be excited!", then John Murphy replied in the most whiny, bored, jaded voice ever, "we are". Man, Bills fans are the biggest debbie downers.

4 SuperBowl losses in a row...15 straight years not making playoffs.......yes, we're excited for the coming year but....we have those 2 little things on our minds

1) It sickens me to actually root for a dolphins player to actually do anything good. I had to stop watching around 2 minutes in.

2) If you watch all the passing routes (instead of just Clay) and Defense at every snap, you will see that Tannehill looks like he understands NFL Quarterbacking. He seems to make quick reads, AND, once he decides, the ball placement is really sweet.

I don't think we're watching the same video then. First, the highlight reel there shows a tight end who requires gang tackling to stop, can catch balls thrown behind him but still maintains enough momentum to get great yards after catch. You may want to go back and watch the rest, especially when he takes over the Steelers game (https://youtu.be/bEGuitm67Dc?t=3m56s).

4 SuperBowl losses in a row...15 straight years not making playoffs.......yes, we're excited for the coming year but....we have those 2 little things on our minds

And till we win, we all will be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I don't think we're watching the same video then. First, the highlight reel there shows a tight end who requires gang tackling to stop, can catch balls thrown behind him but still maintains enough momentum to get great yards after catch. You may want to go back and watch the rest, especially when he takes over the Steelers game (

).

Agreed....and Clay's got great hands...the ball just disappears when it gets near him and he's immediately up field. Also some of the highlights show the versatility of his game as well

Love how he always gets at least 2-3 yards extra by 'simply' falling forward. Wish those highlight reels would come with downlight reel too; sometimes you learn more about a player from watching their errors and mistakes then their successes.

I also noticed that QB did not throw a single incompletion, was never hurried, never scrambled, wasn't sacked in that entire video. AND he did that against not just one, but a dozen teams or so, I lost count it was so exciting. He was fantastic! Boy, I wish I had him in Madden. I'd rule man. I would rule!

Just sayin'.

I listen to Joe every morning on my way into work. He's an ex TE and knows the Fins and the game. He doesn't bash other teams unlike the the other talking heads and he has good guests weigh in as well.

Same here...he's my favorite sports radio personality. I especially love his extensive college football coverage and discussion. He's obviously pro-Dolphins, but I agree with you he's fair and objective on balance. Seems like a good guy that would be fun to drink some beers with.

then John Murphy replied in the most whiny, bored, jaded voice ever, "we are". Man, Bills fans are the biggest debbie downers.

Frankly, I've always liked John because he wasn't an over-the-top homer for the Bills. Unlike the 'GR crowd, he keeps things in perspective, balancing the good and bad.

Now that the Jills are kaput, I suppose some may want a cheerleader. But we have enough of that in other places without turning the play-by-play guy into Myron Cope...

Same here...he's my favorite sports radio personality. I especially love his extensive college football coverage and discussion. He's obviously pro-Dolphins, but I agree with you he's fair and objective on balance. Seems like a good guy that would be fun to drink some beers with.

I played in a golf tourny with Joe at Grand Oaks (Caddyshack SIte) and he's the same guy as on the radio. Nice guy, self deprecating and loves to talk. And drink Corona...

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

In a compilation of completed passes, the Quarterback looks good? :rolleyes:

Looks better than any tight end I have seen on our team in a while...Got me a little excited...we should be a mismatch nightmare for teams...please god...

It's the right way to go if you don't have a QB that can simply take things over on his own in the passing game.

The TD's against the Chargers and Steelers are crazy! I also like the one where the announcer says "it's a footrace." Made me laugh thinking about that term being used with a Chandler catch.

I remember Kelso saying on the radio during one of the games that watching Chandler's YAC was like watching someone pour a glass of water.

Frankly, I've always liked John because he wasn't an over-the-top homer for the Bills. Unlike the 'GR crowd, he keeps things in perspective, balancing the good and bad.

Now that the Jills are kaput, I suppose some may want a cheerleader. But we have enough of that in other places without turning the play-by-play guy into Myron Cope...

Perspective goes both ways. Perspective doesn't just mean the pessimistic point of view. When a large percentage of Bills fans are playing the "wait and see" game with their heads between their legs, it's refreshing to hear someone outside of our community who sees a different point of view. Nobody EVER became successful without a healthy dose of optimism and expectation of success. There is clearly a new energy at OBD.

Also, I don't know of any cheerleaders in Buffalo media other than Chris Brown who is pretty much a shill. So I'd argue, John Murphy needs perspective more than Joe Rose does.

Edited by musichunch

I am kinda wondering what your definition is of above average TE highlights......

I don't know about average. Clay is a mismatch for sure. Once he gets that ball in his hands, love the way he gets north and south with a head of steam. I think this guy is going to be huge for us, if we have a QB that know how to place it for him. Throw it where he can catch it at the high point in the seam and let the big boy run.

Love how he always gets at least 2-3 yards extra by 'simply' falling forward. Wish those highlight reels would come with downlight reel too; sometimes you learn more about a player from watching their errors and mistakes then their successes.

Just like Chandler , No?

I listen to Joe every morning on my way into work. He's an ex TE and knows the Fins and the game. He doesn't bash other teams unlike the the other talking heads and he has good guests weigh in as well.

Joe is very good. I miss him on NBC6 here in Miami.

I agree. Joe does seem like a great guy to have a couple of beers with. He is very good on the radio and was very good when he was the lead sports guy on NBC6.

I also like his college football coverage - especially being a Hurricane fan.

What you have watched for the last 20+ years has been average TE play if you are a Bills fan.

That was dynamic receiving ability and play making after the catch!

Jeez, give me a break. Go root for the Dolphins.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Ha

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/charles-clay?id=2495139

WEAKNESSES Lacks proper blocking technique and struggles to sustain blocks. Misses assignments at times in pass protection. Runs a bit high and does not always fight for extra yards to finish runs. Does not have reliable hands and lets the ball get inside his body too often. Needs to sharpen his route running.