Urbik takes 1.5 million dollar pay cut to stay with Bills

Big Turk

I may in the minority here, but despite some of the lower rankings by PFF and others, I did not think that Urbik played THAT poorly last season. I know he was banged up in the preseason and somehow wound up in St. Doug's doghouse. It was only by a matter of attrition that he finally got on the field once Williams went down for the season and Richardson proved to be unready for prime time. From what I observed, Urbik was clearly the best of the 3.

I've always thought Urbik was solid if unspectacular...rarely notice him for a big pancake block or shoving a guy 4 yards downfield, but rarely notice him giving up bad pressures or getting beat badly in the run game...often a stalemate at the line with him..no surprise they did much better picking up stunts with him in there

Edited by matter2003

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if he would have done this if his buddy Marrone was still here.

it seemed like something they discussed last year, and i suspect might have gotten him in the dog house. i remember chatter that they were looking for a trade partner during camp. for a vet (and one they ultimately keep) thats often code for "we want him to take a pay cut"

How can someone be an average starter but solid backup? So he's good when he's not playing but once he has to play he becomes average?

Huh? This made no sense. What he's saying is that for a starting guard in this league, in his view he's average (I happen to believe slightly below) and for backup Guard, he's solid meaning slightly above average, relative to others. Not too difficult to understand.

Great move for the Bills. If he is your 3rd guard & 2nd center on that contract it is a win. You can upgrade from him as a starter but he certainly protects the interior line play from falling off a cliff in the event of an injury. You can move on from Chris Williams with a post June 1 designation (I think he was the one that we wanted post June 1). Trade a late round pick for a quality starter and let's go.

Great move for the Bills. If he is your 3rd guard & 2nd center on that contract it is a win. You can upgrade from him as a starter but he certainly protects the interior line play from falling off a cliff in the event of an injury. You can move on from Chris Williams with a post June 1 designation (I think he was the one that we wanted post June 1). Trade a late round pick for a quality starter and let's go.

Still rumors on twitter about Bills wanting Mathis... nothing substantiated yet though

Keep in mind that EVERY offensive linemen we had regressed last year.

If the Clay thing ends up dragging out and we end up going 2nd round with a OG then that is not the worst plan I can think of........there has been a lot of success with 2nd round OG's

Thanks to coaching I bet...Aaron Kromer has proven to be a great OL Coach and likely will have them performing much better...

Roman's O mixed with Whaley and the fact that Urbik sounds reasonable led to this.

Urbik realizes he is more of a back up and thus he is able to stay where he is and still make good money. He does not have to go in and fight for a job with another team. The Bills know what they have in him. Win win.

This also mean Williams is gone. And that the Bills are going to make a move either FA or early in draft for an interior OL.

Still rumors on twitter about Bills wanting Mathis... nothing substantiated yet though

Has there been any offer or interest in an interior lineman so far this fa season? The only thing I've heard of is the offer to Buluga at ROT. Almost seems like at this point they are not looking for a starter in the interior.

If I recall correctly Williams' main problem was pass protection but he was decent at run blocking. I guess they could still cut him, but why wouldn't they have done it already if he's not in their plans? And these questions aren't specifically to you, just thinking out loud here.