Urbik takes 1.5 million dollar pay cut to stay with Bills

Big Turk

Urbik went from making 2.65 million next year in base salary to 1.2 million...agreed to 1.2 million salary for next year as well...no word on if $300,000 roster bonus he was set to get if on the roster after the 5th league day is being paid yet..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/17/kraig-urbik-takes-pay-cut-with-bills/

More free cap savings for the Bills...easiest way of all...no restructure, just a straight pay cut.

Edited by matter2003

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice move, he's not making much above league minimum now and will likely be better than any street FA we bring in.

C- Wood

G - Incognito, Urbik, Richardson - Williams?

T - Glenn, Henderson, Kouandjio

Depending on what we do with Williams, we have room for one or two more guys. It would be nice to pick up a cap casualty who can start to upgrade a guard or tackle spot, then get someone in round 2-3 to get another body in to compete.

Actually smart for both sides. He provides depth at OG and center. DW continues to impress.

Yep, just another simple but very smart move by our shrewd FO that the "fans" will quickly forget about next time they want to complain.

Nice move, he's not making much above league minimum now and will likely be better than any street FA we bring in.

C- Wood

G - Incognito, Urbik, Richardson - Williams?

T - Glenn, Henderson, Kouandjio

Depending on what we do with Williams, we have room for one or two more guys. It would be nice to pick up a cap casualty who can start to upgrade a guard or tackle spot, then get someone in round 2-3 to get another body in to compete.

I know most of them are camp fodder and wont have careers, but for what its worth, the Bills currently have 8 Guards on the roster. I didnt realize that until just a couple days ago when someone pointed it out.

I think that's very smart! Urbik is an average starter and a very solid backup.

There was a lot of speculation that we would cut both him and Chris Williams to free up space to get a better Guard. But I like Urbik taking a substantial pay cut and staying instead of losing him and gaining another 1.2 mil.

Chris Williams on the other hand....

There was a lot of speculation that we would cut both him and Chris Williams to free up space to get a better Guard. But I like Urbik taking a substantial pay cut and staying instead of losing him and gaining another 1.2 mil.

Kind of nitpicky, but we actually gained $1.45 million...he reduced his salaries of 2.65 million this year and 2.975 million next year to $1.2 million each of those years...never know where that 250K might come in handy ;-)

Edited by matter2003

How can someone be an average starter but solid backup? So he's good when he's not playing but once he has to play he becomes average?

Yep, just another simple but very smart move by our shrewd FO that the "fans" will quickly forget about next time they want to complain.

I know most of them are camp fodder and wont have careers, but for what its worth, the Bills currently have 8 Guards on the roster. I didnt realize that until just a couple days ago when someone pointed it out.

Nice move ... at the very least he is a solid backup at G and C. It's also quite possible with the new coaching staff and fresh eyes.. he wins one of the starting G positions in training camp . Hopefully they sign / draft a plug and play starter at guard between now and then..in which case Urbik is the swing guard/C and maybe we can release Williams to save some money

How can someone be an average starter but solid backup? So he's good when he's not playing but once he has to play he becomes average?

Easily, if he was a good player he would be starting...some backups are trainwrecks when they get in there...a backups main job is to do well enough that the team isn't hamstrung when he is in there by having to give extra help to him...Urbik does that well enough...

Edited by matter2003

Kind of nitpicky, but we actually gained $1.45 million...he reduced his salaries of 2.65 million this year and 2.975 million next year to $1.2 million each of those years...never know where that 250K might come in handy ;-)

I was saying I preferred keeping him at 1.2 rather than cutting him and getting back said 1.2 on top of what we have already saved :)

Because most backup Guards are below average starters. It's the same way Kyle Orton was considered a top tier backup QB - but an average at best starter.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I may in the minority here, but despite some of the lower rankings by PFF and others, I did not think that Urbik played THAT poorly last season. I know he was banged up in the preseason and somehow wound up in St. Doug's doghouse. It was only by a matter of attrition that he finally got on the field once Williams went down for the season and Richardson proved to be unready for prime time. From what I observed, Urbik was clearly the best of the 3.

Wow... its surprising for a player to straight up take a cut.

Team probably told him they were not going to pay his roster bonus. His choices were down to taking the pay cut or looking for another job. If he didn't think he was going to make more elsewhere his decision was easy.