Do the moves by the Bills in free agency make sense so far?

jahnyc

I do not understand all of our moves so far. I get it that it is still very early and a lot can happen before training camp and the start of the season, but I have to think that free agency did not go as expected by the front office.

I like the re-signing of Hughes, the extension for Williams and the signing of Felton, but not much else makes sense to me. McCoy is a significant upgrade, but he is not a north/south runner (i.e., ground and pound) and we gave up Kiko. Plus we extended McCoy for big money. Harvin seems like a luxury, will take up $6 million in cap space on a one-year deal and has had locker room issues in his past. We all know Incognito's history and he has been out of football for a couple of years. At QB, have we really upgraded? Clearly the front office intended to upgrade the o-line, but it has not happened, and it was horrible last year. At tight end, the pursuit of Clay made sense, but it does not seem like we will get him and we cut Chandler. Who will play at TE? We have not re-signed Spikes, but in Ryan's defensive scheme, do we need more linebackers with Kiko traded, Rivers cut and if Spikes does not return? Searcy signed with the Titans, will he be missed?

A splashy start to free agency, but is it a solid start?

Edited by jahnyc

Roman is the one that will have to make all of these pieces work together on offense so as long as he is signing off on these players then I guess we just have to see how he plans on using them. We won't know until the season starts

And don't worry about defense. Rex will take care of that

really...lets see

mccoy-harvin= playmakers!

felton=beast

clay will be awesome if we get him, if not we will get a very good te. chandler was overrated in my opinion

cassel=excellent mentor and qb game manager who will teach EJ the way. much improved over orton

worried about the defense-come on rex and staff will not let us fail

Roman is an evil scientist with masking plays and making qbs look good. Every week will be different, Not even

worried about oline..roman is a teacher in the way he has oline blocking and scheming. Plus we have PLAYMAKERS..

pick your poison

shady

Percy

Sammy

Mr Woods

Freddie

Clay or any other TE

and we dont have the Morons coaching this year//

What don't u understand? Our offense was awful we have the best defense in the league and the front offense is bringing in help for our offense.

Our defense didn't miss kiko, so the traded him for a dynamic rb, Rex had harvin in his locker room and wanted him here. Incognitos a mean nasty player, read in to some of his issues with martin, if it doesn't scream blown out of proportion I don't know what does, hazing younger players has got to be the most common thing in the history of football, what is the world coming to when a 300 plus pound NFL lineman cries of being hazed

I do not understand all of our moves so far. I get it that it is still very early and a lot can happen before training camp and the start of the season, but I have to think that free agency did not go as expected by the front office.

I like the re-signing of Hughes, the extension for Williams and the signing of Felton, but not much else makes sense to me. McCoy is a significant upgrade, but he is not a north/south runner (i.e., ground and pound) and we gave up Kiko. Plus we extended McCoy for big money. Harvin seems like a luxury, will take up $6 million in cap space on a one-year deal and has had locker room issues in his past. We all know Incognito's history and he has been out of the football for a couple of years. At QB, have we really upgraded? Clearly the front office intended to upgrade the o-line, but it has not happened, and it was horrible last year. At tight end, the pursuit of Clay made sense, but it does not seem like we will get him and we cut Chandler. Who will play at TE? We have not re-signed Spikes, but in Ryan's defensive scheme, do we need more linebackers with Kiko traded, Rivers cut and if Spikes does not return? Searcy signed with the Titans, will he be missed?

what is wrong with having luxury? I see that all the time...this player is a luxury....so what...used properly Harvin can be a very productive player.

I like the re-signing of Hughes, the extension for Williams and the signing of Felton, but not much else makes sense to me. McCoy is a significant upgrade, but he is not a north/south runner (i.e., ground and pound) and we gave up Kiko. Plus we extended McCoy for big money. Harvin seems like a luxury, will take up $6 million in cap space on a one-year deal and has had locker room issues in his past. We all know Incognito's history and he has been out of the football for a couple of years. At QB, have we really upgraded? Clearly the front office intended to upgrade the o-line, but it has not happened, and it was horrible last year. At tight end, the pursuit of Clay made sense, but it does not seem like we will get him and we cut Chandler. Who will play at TE? We have not re-signed Spikes, but in Ryan's defensive scheme, do we need more linebackers with Kiko traded, Rivers cut and if Spikes does not return? Searcy signed with the Titans, will he be missed?

So throwing the highest $$ at the best available T doesn't count? Going after their top target G doesn't count? Please point to the can't miss QB who was to be had in FA that this team missed out on?

The Bills have been one of the top 5 most active teams in FA. They are closing the gap on NE. But it's also idiotic to think that they can get over the hump in a one week period in March.

Here is how I look at it.... With our WR talent you can't double any of them and you can't stack the box with defenders! So you've gotta play the Bills offense straight up! Noway you can play shady, Harvin and Watkins straight up! Even with a average QB!

Edited by marauderswr80

What don't u understand? Our offense was awful we have the best defense in the league and the front offense is bringing in help for our offense.

Our defense didn't miss kiko, so the traded him for a dynamic rb, Rex had harvin in his locker room and wanted him here. Incognitos a mean nasty player, read in to some of his issues with martin, if it doesn't scream blown out of proportion I don't know what does, hazing younger players has got to be the most common thing in the history of football, what is the world coming to when a 300 plus pound NFL lineman cries of being hazed

This. The few Dolphins players who spoke up said Incognito was a great player, and although rough around the edges, a great teammate.

I think the Bills had a solid gameplan for Free Agency. But things haven't quite worked out the way they wanted (Bulaga resigning, Miami making room for Clay). And now they aren't sure how to make the "halftime adjustments."

Anyone that knows anything about Greg Roman's offense knows this... You need a very strong offensive line. You need some very good tight ends.

We have neither. And as the days pass, people are going to start realizing how bad we screwed this up.

Doug Whaley apparently made efforts to address both spots. But his initial targets failed to pan out. Our Free Agent options are now dwindling into nothingness, along with our cap space. And anyone that thinks we can just "fill these holes" with the draft obviously isn't paying attention. This draft is extremely weak on both Tight Ends and Offensive Line.

So throwing the highest $$ at the best available T doesn't count? Going after their top target G doesn't count? Please point to the can't miss QB who was to be had in FA that this team missed out on?

The Bills have been one of the top 5 most active teams in FA. They are closing the gap on NE. But it's also idiotic to think that they can get over the hump in a one week period in March.

As our former coach used to say... "Don't confuse effort with results."

Even if Whaley made a huge effort to address these spots -- it's appearing like he failed miserably.

We aren't going to catch New England (and we may have been passed up by Miami and New York), without strong blocking. We've spent $25 million in Free Agency and our O-Line is still a mess.

I see where you're coming from but don't agree with your assessments across the board. McCoy trade made sense, the deal is definitely overpaying and he almost certainly won't live up to it but thats ok if it helps us in the short term and its front loaded. Would I rather have Murray and Kiko than just McCoy? maybe but the deal is done and it does make sense to me. Obviously Felton and Hughes make a ton of sense. Harvin wasn't needed but it doesn't hurt to have more weapons. We aren't going to rely on Harvin to be our big play guy. He's likely 3rd on the depth chart of game-breaker type guys behind McCOy and Watkins which is a different situation than he has been in before. QB, there was nothing out there and i think the Locker retirement surprised them, taking a QB off the market. Obviously StL was willing to deal Bradford but we didn't have many assets to give back to them without a viable replacement QB or a first rounder so that was never a real option. Cassel is as bad/good as anyone available. The one thing I don't agree with is that they haven't really addressed O-line yet which seemed like such a priority

I thought we needed an end zone threat (a big WR and/or TE). If we had that, then Harvin as a luxury pick-up would be fine.

Watkins is not an end zone threat? Both he and Woods scored TDs last year.

I think the Bills had a solid gameplan for Free Agency. But things haven't quite worked out the way they wanted (Bulaga resigning, Miami making room for Clay). And now they aren't sure how to make the "halftime adjustments."

Anyone that knows anything about Greg Roman's offense knows this... You need a very strong offensive line. You need some very good tight ends.

We have neither. And as the days pass, people are going to start realizing how bad we screwed this up.

Doug Whaley apparently made efforts to address both spots. But his initial targets failed to pan out. Our Free Agent options are now dwindling into nothingness, along with our cap space. And anyone that thinks we can just "fill these holes" with the draft obviously isn't paying attention. This draft is extremely weak on both Tight Ends and Offensive Line.

Even if Whaley made a huge effort to address these spots -- it's appearing like he failed miserably.

We aren't going to catch New England (and we may have been passed up by Miami and New York), without strong blocking. We've spent $25 million in Free Agency and our O-Line is still a mess.

Every team needs a strong offensive line and every coach wants one.

One, our former coach is an idiot.

Two, I'm tired of people applying that quote to every case, because it's not comparable to every situation. It's a good motivator when you can control the outcome through your effort. It's a totally useless quote when you have at best 50% chance of controlling the outcome. But I'm sure you know that.

We are not talking about executing a FA plan in a vacuum on Fantasy Island where there's an unlimited supply of talent and Bills are the only bidders, and players are tripping over the opportunity to move their families to Orchard Park

There were only two marquee Gs in this FA, and Bills made a big effort to bring one of them in. If Richie didn't sit out last year, he'd be in the Top 5 available Gs this year. You have to ask why the former OC felt that Iupati didn't even warrant a look.

After Boling, the field is thin, so you would feel more comfortable at getting the G equivalent of Lee Smith? Chris Williams is still better than some of the stiffs that are available. So while FA perid hasn't panned out as they had hoped, it's not as if the tea didn't take steps to actively address the weak points from last year. Exchanging Pears for Richie is a huge improvement on its own.

If they're unable to swing the trade for Mathis, there will be a lot of available older Gs who can still play a season or two. In the past, Bills would never pay a vet contract like that, preferring to go with UDFA scrubs. I don't think that's the case in Pegulaville anymore.

That's why all this crying that the team hasn't addressed need positions in the first week of free agency is ludakris.

Watkins is not an end zone threat? Both he and Woods scored TDs last year.

Every team needs a strong offensive line and every coach wants one.

Lol. Quite right.

But as far as red zone threats go, we could certainly use that bigger body. Hopefully we get one more TE (thinking Gresham) with some size. I'd like to see us get to the point where teams know we'll run it and we still move the ball. Perhaps getting Mathis in a trade will be the last piece we need.

I think everything so far makes sense. As stated above, they had a plan, but of course not everything could go exactly the way they wanted.

When a talent like Percy Harvin becomes available - you go and get him. That wasn't part of the plan, but it's taking advantage of an opportunity.

The only things we still need are TE and OL help. I think we get Gresham and maybe look at another guy in the draft. I think we try a trade for Mathis and if that doesn't work, we look at Blalock or the draft. There is still plenty of time. And for what it's worth, Urbik was doing fine at G before Marrone came around, and I still wonder if his regression isn't St. Doug's fault.

Edited by Big C

McCoy is a massive upgrade over Spiller. Kio is overrated and didn't even play last year. The FB is a beast. Harvin is,not my favorite signing but he adds a scary element to the offense. Need abother guard another TE re-sign Spikes and draft OL, safety, and a QB flier.

Lol. Quite right.

But as far as red zone threats go, we could certainly use that bigger body.

the "need" for a big WR is always due to the inaccuracy of the QB. Big WR = larger margin of error. Its not about jump-balls.

If a guy can get open, he can get open. If the QB can get him the ball, . . . Touchdown. If the QB cant get him the ball, "we need a big huge red-zone target" = "our QB sucks in the red zone."

Edited by maddenboy

I like the re-signing of Hughes, the extension for Williams and the signing of Felton, but not much else makes sense to me. McCoy is a significant upgrade, but he is not a north/south runner (i.e., ground and pound) and we gave up Kiko. Plus we extended McCoy for big money. Harvin seems like a luxury, will take up $6 million in cap space on a one-year deal and has had locker room issues in his past. We all know Incognito's history and he has been out of football for a couple of years. At QB, have we really upgraded? Clearly the front office intended to upgrade the o-line, but it has not happened, and it was horrible last year. At tight end, the pursuit of Clay made sense, but it does not seem like we will get him and we cut Chandler. Who will play at TE? We have not re-signed Spikes, but in Ryan's defensive scheme, do we need more linebackers with Kiko traded, Rivers cut and if Spikes does not return? Searcy signed with the Titans, will he be missed?

Here's what I don't understand. In one breath you say McCoy a "significant upgrade" -- which he most certainly is -- then in the next breath you claim he's not a north south runner (which he actually is very good at). You say the offensive line was horrible last year (and it was) but you give no credit to signing RI (who is a massive upgrade over Pears playing out of position even after being out of football for one season... or Pears playing any position). You're also already throwing in the towel over Clay (which might turn out to be entirely accurate but right now is impossible to determine). With that outlook, it's easy to turn what's been a very positive start to the new league year as a negative or even a mystery. In other words, it's easy to see the off season so far as being bad if you couch every positive with the absolute worst case scenario.

Harvin and RI have question marks regarding their character -- not their talent -- and we now have the ultimate player's coach running the show. Even if you disagree with the Ryan hire (perfectly reasonable) his record as a player's coach and getting players to buy into him is real and documented. That kind of coach tends to work out in terms of managing head cases, especially head cases who are both on their last strike in the league. So yes, it's possible Harvin and RI are horrific locker room cancers that destroy the team -- that's certainly possible, even if it's unlikely. I fully admit that.

But isn't it more likely that those two guys, who are both playing for their reputation and futures in the league, are instead upgrades at positions of extreme need for this club? Harvin isn't a luxury, he fills a dramatic need at the slot and special teams for this team. In Roman's scheme he will be moved around all over the field, he'll run the ball and catch the ball as well as be the leading return man. That's a lot of value and playmaking for a guy who no one argues isn't extremely talented. The one year, incentive based deal, will only help keep Harvin in line. The same thinking can be applied to RI. Sure, he's been out of the league a year but the team did their due diligence on the man, I have no doubts. If he's really not in football shape he won't make it through camp and won't be on the team. THAT would be a disaster, especially if they don't add more pieces to the OL. But I also think that both of those notions (not adding more pieces and RI being unable to play the game anymore) are very remote.

If you want to feel better, look at the roster this team had during the last game of the season, including coaching staff and then look at the roster now. To any objective observer it's clear the team has gotten tremendously better in the ensuing two months and change. We've gotten better on the coaching level (even if you don't like Ryan, he's a better coach than St. Doug, and Roman has more experience calling plays successfully than Doug or Hackett had combined), we've added and extended a top 3 RB (elite talent) at the expense of a LB who was on IR the entire 2014 season, we've added a proven talent at guard (our weakest position), brought in two new QBs (you can debate whether they're the guys -- they aren't -- but Meh trumps the walking mangina known as Orton by virtue of his testosterone count), dramatically improved our slot / return teams by adding Harvin, secured our own top UFA by keeping Hughes and the defense largely in tact.

I would argue if these moves don't make sense to you, you're either looking at the situation with too much of the old negative Bills' slant (we still suck because we've always sucked/ still don't have a QB) or you haven't looked closely enough at what they're building. The job isn't done, as you pointed out, but it's certainly taken a giant leap forward the past two weeks.

GO BILLS! :beer:

Bills FA moves make sense so far. The goal was to keep their own FA 's except Searcy , who they determined was replaceable by younger players already on the roster and would not be offered a new deal. Teams do this, you simply cannot keep them all. This has to be viewed as a success. The other objective is to improve a moribund offensive unit lacking in playmakers. The McCoy trade ( that pretty much materialized and was not initiated by the Bills) improves a major weakness last year with a top 5 player at the RB position. While the wisdom of the trade can be debated; one might think the Bills could have pursued Murray and kept Alonso, there was no guarantee Murray would sign here. The cap issues are just how the league works. Murray was given about the same deal by the Eagles. There is not getting around the fact that elite talent is going to get paid in the NFL. The Bills have made several very strong attempts to improve the Offensive line with players they targeted. Many top players have re-signed with their original teams this FA period. There is nothing you can do about this, players have decided to stay with winning organizations that have established QBs and don't face Brady 2x a year. Harvin makes complete sense as he is a top talent ( with baggage , hence the one year deal) and gives you another threat where there was none. Good move. Miami seems to be going to the wall to keep Clay, even after signing Cameron. The tranny tag gives them the upper hand, not much we can do about that. I'm sure the Bills have other OL targets, but are looking for round pegs for round holes. It's not an upgrade if a guy is weak at what you need him todo blocking wise. Chandler was a salary cap move ( probably because T Pegs nixed any talk of cutting Jackson) and was probablynot considered a fit for GRs offense. KW extension was a cap related deal as well. There is a different way of doing business $$ wise with the Pegulas at the helm. This makes some nervous, but it's just the way the league works and gives us more flexibility to compete for talent. I still think we need to add a TE and OL for the FA period to be a successful one, but it makes sense to me so far.

Bills FA moves make sense so far. The goal was to keep their own FA 's except Searcy , who they determined was replaceable by younger players already on the roster and would not be offered a new deal. Teams do this, you simply cannot keep them all. This has to be viewed as a success. The other objective is to improve a moribund offensive unit lacking in playmakers. The McCoy trade ( that pretty much materialized and was not initiated by the Bills) improves a major weakness last year with a top 5 player at the RB position. While the wisdom of the trade can be debated; one might think the Bills could have pursued Murray and kept Alonso, there was no guarantee Murray would sign here. The cap issues are just how the league works. Murray was given about the same deal by the Eagles. There is not getting around the fact that elite talent is going to get paid in the NFL. The Bills have made several very strong attempts to improve the Offensive line with players they targeted. Many top players have re-signed with their original teams this FA period. There is nothing you can do about this, players have decided to stay with winning organizations that have established QBs and don't face Brady 2x a year. Harvin makes complete sense as he is a top talent ( with baggage , hence the one year deal) and gives you another threat where there was none. Good move. Miami seems to be going to the wall to keep Clay, even after signing Cameron. The tranny tag gives them the upper hand, not much we can do about that. I'm sure the Bills have other OL targets, but are looking for round pegs for round holes. It's not an upgrade if a guy is weak at what you need him todo blocking wise. Chandler was a salary cap move ( probably because T Pegs nixed any talk of cutting Jackson) and was probablynot considered a fit for GRs offense. KW extension was a cap related deal as well. There is a different way of doing business $$ wise with the Pegulas at the helm. This makes some nervous, but it's just the way the league works and gives us more flexibility to compete for talent. I still think we need to add a TE and OL for the FA period to be a successful one, but it makes sense to me so far.

:beer:

I see more splash than substance. I would have preferred they keep Kiko and Spiller, spend the cap room on the o-line and a first rate tight end, and locking in the defensive stars like Dareus, keeping Searcy. I'm okay with both QB acquisitions. The Harvin move is more flash even though he has not performed well recently and has been a problem child on other teams.

The Bills, with the exception of running back, were lucky on injuries last season. A few key injuries--such as at linebacker--and this defense is not going to look so strong.

It seems like an off season of pursuing headlines that do not necessarily translate into a better team on the field.

So they start out free agency needing a tight end and OL help, and they end up letting their best tight end go with no replacement and still no help on the O line. Got it.

I see more splash than substance. I would have preferred they keep Kiko and Spiller, spend the cap room on the o-line and a first rate tight end, and locking in the defensive stars like Dareus, keeping Searcy. I'm okay with both QB acquisitions. The Harvin move is more flash even though he has not performed well recently and has been a problem child on other teams.

The Bills, with the exception of running back, were lucky on injuries last season. A few key injuries--such as at linebacker--and this defense is not going to look so strong.

It seems like an off season of pursuing headlines that do not necessarily translate into a better team on the field.

So they start out free agency needing a tight end and OL help, and they end up letting their best tight end go with no replacement and still no help on the O line. Got it.

That is with any team!!

and why would you have preferred Kiko and Spiller...both were hurt and Spiller has had 1 good year in his career. Also who is the 1st rate TE you would have signed in FA? The Bills attempted to sign a couple of O-Linemen but it didn't happen.

I don't think so. They had the #2 rushing game in the league 2 years ago. All they needed was a capable QB and some offensive linemen, and they were playoff bound.

Letting players like Brandon Marshall and Ben Grubbs slip through their fingers for 5th round draft picks? That is an epic fail, especially Grubbs since he restructured his contract.

I like Harvin, but they need size, not more speed. I like Incognito, but at this point is he any better than Urbik or Williams? I like Cassel, as a backup. I like Shady, a lot, but not at his contract. I like Tyrod Taylor, if we didn't already have two second string QB's. I just don't understand what they are trying to do...and yes, I know, it's March 14th. But to me, it just seems like more of the same...signing playmakers, who are household names, to sell tickets and build hype.

One signing I do love, is the signing of Jerome Felton...I don't care what anyone says, you need a capable FB in the NFL, look at the best teams, they all have one. And I also feel like their pursuit of Charles Clay is a joke. If he was honestly ranked higher than Julius Thomas on their "wish-list," I think we might have some issues. And I see no way they land him nw, shouldn't have let him leave without an offer sheet, that was stupid.

As far as I'm concerned, the draft needs to be QB, TE, OG, OG, OG...there is absolutely nothing else they need, besides some depth. (I AM thoroughly entertained though, I love the national exposure...just hope it works out for the best in the end.)

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale

I don't think so. They had the #2 rushing game in the league 2 years ago. All they needed was a capable QB and some offensive linemen, and they were playoff bound.

Letting players like Brandon Marshall and Ben Grubbs slip through their fingers for 5th round draft picks? That is an epic fail, especially Grubbs since he restructured his contract.

I like Harvin, but they need size, not more speed. I like Incognito, but at this point is he any better than Urbik or Williams? I like Cassel, as a backup. I like Shady, a lot, but not at his contract. I like Tyrod Taylor, if we didn't already have two second string QB's. I just don't understand what they are trying to do...and yes, I know, it's March 14th. But to me, it just seems like more of the same...signing playmakers, who are household names, to sell tickets and build hype.

One signing I do love, is the signing of Jerome Felton...I don't care what anyone says, you need a capable FB in the NFL, look at the best teams, they all have one. And I also feel like their pursuit of Charles Clay is a joke. If he was honestly ranked higher than Julius Thomas on their "wish-list," I think we might have some issues. And I see no way they land him nw, shouldn't have let him leave without an offer sheet, that was stupid.

As far as I'm concerned, the draft needs to be QB, TE, OG, OG, OG...there is absolutely nothing else they need, besides some depth. (I AM thoroughly entertained though, I love the national exposure...just hope it works out for the best in the end.)

I agree with it all . I think we need a guard more than a Te.. Gray and Gragg are good enough right now. Their will be a Te. cut before the season,that we can pick-up.

What's wrong with McCoys contract? It should have no effect on you and obviously the Bills have plenty of cap space to cover it.

What's wrong with McCoys contract? It should have no effect on you and obviously the Bills have plenty of cap space to cover it.

He has a way-back machine that says 2 years ago the Bills were one of the top rushing teams in the league so there's no need for McCoy. So by virtue of that, any money for McCoy is too much.

i like the McCoy trade, I don't think Kiko will live up to the media hype that he is getting. Kiko is coming off of another ACL surgery and cooled down greatly after the first 6 games of his rookie year. Also, McCoy is a premium back that is entering his prime. Harvin signing is pretty good but hopefully we will add a guard and TE via trade or draft. I do not understand all the pessimism some are showing on this board. There is still a lot of time to address our needs and Doug knows what he is doing. JMO

I agree with it all . I think we need a guard more than a Te.. Gray and Gragg are good enough right now. Their will be a Te. cut before the season,that we can pick-up.

No way are Gragg and Gray "good enough" to be our TE's from now until one gets cut "before the season." Lol. They desperately need to bring in another TE, Roman's offense needs it.