Do the moves by the Bills in free agency make sense so far?

jahnyc

I do not understand all of our moves so far. I get it that it is still very early and a lot can happen before training camp and the start of the season, but I have to think that free agency did not go as expected by the front office.

I like the re-signing of Hughes, the extension for Williams and the signing of Felton, but not much else makes sense to me. McCoy is a significant upgrade, but he is not a north/south runner (i.e., ground and pound) and we gave up Kiko. Plus we extended McCoy for big money. Harvin seems like a luxury, will take up $6 million in cap space on a one-year deal and has had locker room issues in his past. We all know Incognito's history and he has been out of football for a couple of years. At QB, have we really upgraded? Clearly the front office intended to upgrade the o-line, but it has not happened, and it was horrible last year. At tight end, the pursuit of Clay made sense, but it does not seem like we will get him and we cut Chandler. Who will play at TE? We have not re-signed Spikes, but in Ryan's defensive scheme, do we need more linebackers with Kiko traded, Rivers cut and if Spikes does not return? Searcy signed with the Titans, will he be missed?

A splashy start to free agency, but is it a solid start?

Edited by jahnyc

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roman is the one that will have to make all of these pieces work together on offense so as long as he is signing off on these players then I guess we just have to see how he plans on using them. We won't know until the season starts

And don't worry about defense. Rex will take care of that

really...lets see

mccoy-harvin= playmakers!

felton=beast

clay will be awesome if we get him, if not we will get a very good te. chandler was overrated in my opinion

cassel=excellent mentor and qb game manager who will teach EJ the way. much improved over orton

worried about the defense-come on rex and staff will not let us fail

Roman is an evil scientist with masking plays and making qbs look good. Every week will be different, Not even

worried about oline..roman is a teacher in the way he has oline blocking and scheming. Plus we have PLAYMAKERS..

pick your poison

shady

Percy

Sammy

Mr Woods

Freddie

Clay or any other TE

and we dont have the Morons coaching this year//

What don't u understand? Our offense was awful we have the best defense in the league and the front offense is bringing in help for our offense.

Our defense didn't miss kiko, so the traded him for a dynamic rb, Rex had harvin in his locker room and wanted him here. Incognitos a mean nasty player, read in to some of his issues with martin, if it doesn't scream blown out of proportion I don't know what does, hazing younger players has got to be the most common thing in the history of football, what is the world coming to when a 300 plus pound NFL lineman cries of being hazed

I do not understand all of our moves so far. I get it that it is still very early and a lot can happen before training camp and the start of the season, but I have to think that free agency did not go as expected by the front office.

I like the re-signing of Hughes, the extension for Williams and the signing of Felton, but not much else makes sense to me. McCoy is a significant upgrade, but he is not a north/south runner (i.e., ground and pound) and we gave up Kiko. Plus we extended McCoy for big money. Harvin seems like a luxury, will take up $6 million in cap space on a one-year deal and has had locker room issues in his past. We all know Incognito's history and he has been out of the football for a couple of years. At QB, have we really upgraded? Clearly the front office intended to upgrade the o-line, but it has not happened, and it was horrible last year. At tight end, the pursuit of Clay made sense, but it does not seem like we will get him and we cut Chandler. Who will play at TE? We have not re-signed Spikes, but in Ryan's defensive scheme, do we need more linebackers with Kiko traded, Rivers cut and if Spikes does not return? Searcy signed with the Titans, will he be missed?

what is wrong with having luxury? I see that all the time...this player is a luxury....so what...used properly Harvin can be a very productive player.

I like the re-signing of Hughes, the extension for Williams and the signing of Felton, but not much else makes sense to me. McCoy is a significant upgrade, but he is not a north/south runner (i.e., ground and pound) and we gave up Kiko. Plus we extended McCoy for big money. Harvin seems like a luxury, will take up $6 million in cap space on a one-year deal and has had locker room issues in his past. We all know Incognito's history and he has been out of the football for a couple of years. At QB, have we really upgraded? Clearly the front office intended to upgrade the o-line, but it has not happened, and it was horrible last year. At tight end, the pursuit of Clay made sense, but it does not seem like we will get him and we cut Chandler. Who will play at TE? We have not re-signed Spikes, but in Ryan's defensive scheme, do we need more linebackers with Kiko traded, Rivers cut and if Spikes does not return? Searcy signed with the Titans, will he be missed?

So throwing the highest $$ at the best available T doesn't count? Going after their top target G doesn't count? Please point to the can't miss QB who was to be had in FA that this team missed out on?

The Bills have been one of the top 5 most active teams in FA. They are closing the gap on NE. But it's also idiotic to think that they can get over the hump in a one week period in March.

Here is how I look at it.... With our WR talent you can't double any of them and you can't stack the box with defenders! So you've gotta play the Bills offense straight up! Noway you can play shady, Harvin and Watkins straight up! Even with a average QB!

Edited by marauderswr80

What don't u understand? Our offense was awful we have the best defense in the league and the front offense is bringing in help for our offense.

Our defense didn't miss kiko, so the traded him for a dynamic rb, Rex had harvin in his locker room and wanted him here. Incognitos a mean nasty player, read in to some of his issues with martin, if it doesn't scream blown out of proportion I don't know what does, hazing younger players has got to be the most common thing in the history of football, what is the world coming to when a 300 plus pound NFL lineman cries of being hazed

This. The few Dolphins players who spoke up said Incognito was a great player, and although rough around the edges, a great teammate.

I think the Bills had a solid gameplan for Free Agency. But things haven't quite worked out the way they wanted (Bulaga resigning, Miami making room for Clay). And now they aren't sure how to make the "halftime adjustments."

Anyone that knows anything about Greg Roman's offense knows this... You need a very strong offensive line. You need some very good tight ends.

We have neither. And as the days pass, people are going to start realizing how bad we screwed this up.

Doug Whaley apparently made efforts to address both spots. But his initial targets failed to pan out. Our Free Agent options are now dwindling into nothingness, along with our cap space. And anyone that thinks we can just "fill these holes" with the draft obviously isn't paying attention. This draft is extremely weak on both Tight Ends and Offensive Line.

So throwing the highest $$ at the best available T doesn't count? Going after their top target G doesn't count? Please point to the can't miss QB who was to be had in FA that this team missed out on?

The Bills have been one of the top 5 most active teams in FA. They are closing the gap on NE. But it's also idiotic to think that they can get over the hump in a one week period in March.

As our former coach used to say... "Don't confuse effort with results."

Even if Whaley made a huge effort to address these spots -- it's appearing like he failed miserably.

We aren't going to catch New England (and we may have been passed up by Miami and New York), without strong blocking. We've spent $25 million in Free Agency and our O-Line is still a mess.

I see where you're coming from but don't agree with your assessments across the board. McCoy trade made sense, the deal is definitely overpaying and he almost certainly won't live up to it but thats ok if it helps us in the short term and its front loaded. Would I rather have Murray and Kiko than just McCoy? maybe but the deal is done and it does make sense to me. Obviously Felton and Hughes make a ton of sense. Harvin wasn't needed but it doesn't hurt to have more weapons. We aren't going to rely on Harvin to be our big play guy. He's likely 3rd on the depth chart of game-breaker type guys behind McCOy and Watkins which is a different situation than he has been in before. QB, there was nothing out there and i think the Locker retirement surprised them, taking a QB off the market. Obviously StL was willing to deal Bradford but we didn't have many assets to give back to them without a viable replacement QB or a first rounder so that was never a real option. Cassel is as bad/good as anyone available. The one thing I don't agree with is that they haven't really addressed O-line yet which seemed like such a priority

I thought we needed an end zone threat (a big WR and/or TE). If we had that, then Harvin as a luxury pick-up would be fine.

Watkins is not an end zone threat? Both he and Woods scored TDs last year.

I think the Bills had a solid gameplan for Free Agency. But things haven't quite worked out the way they wanted (Bulaga resigning, Miami making room for Clay). And now they aren't sure how to make the "halftime adjustments."

Anyone that knows anything about Greg Roman's offense knows this... You need a very strong offensive line. You need some very good tight ends.

We have neither. And as the days pass, people are going to start realizing how bad we screwed this up.

Doug Whaley apparently made efforts to address both spots. But his initial targets failed to pan out. Our Free Agent options are now dwindling into nothingness, along with our cap space. And anyone that thinks we can just "fill these holes" with the draft obviously isn't paying attention. This draft is extremely weak on both Tight Ends and Offensive Line.

Even if Whaley made a huge effort to address these spots -- it's appearing like he failed miserably.

We aren't going to catch New England (and we may have been passed up by Miami and New York), without strong blocking. We've spent $25 million in Free Agency and our O-Line is still a mess.

Every team needs a strong offensive line and every coach wants one.

One, our former coach is an idiot.

Two, I'm tired of people applying that quote to every case, because it's not comparable to every situation. It's a good motivator when you can control the outcome through your effort. It's a totally useless quote when you have at best 50% chance of controlling the outcome. But I'm sure you know that.

We are not talking about executing a FA plan in a vacuum on Fantasy Island where there's an unlimited supply of talent and Bills are the only bidders, and players are tripping over the opportunity to move their families to Orchard Park

There were only two marquee Gs in this FA, and Bills made a big effort to bring one of them in. If Richie didn't sit out last year, he'd be in the Top 5 available Gs this year. You have to ask why the former OC felt that Iupati didn't even warrant a look.

After Boling, the field is thin, so you would feel more comfortable at getting the G equivalent of Lee Smith? Chris Williams is still better than some of the stiffs that are available. So while FA perid hasn't panned out as they had hoped, it's not as if the tea didn't take steps to actively address the weak points from last year. Exchanging Pears for Richie is a huge improvement on its own.

If they're unable to swing the trade for Mathis, there will be a lot of available older Gs who can still play a season or two. In the past, Bills would never pay a vet contract like that, preferring to go with UDFA scrubs. I don't think that's the case in Pegulaville anymore.

That's why all this crying that the team hasn't addressed need positions in the first week of free agency is ludakris.

Watkins is not an end zone threat? Both he and Woods scored TDs last year.

Every team needs a strong offensive line and every coach wants one.

Lol. Quite right.

But as far as red zone threats go, we could certainly use that bigger body. Hopefully we get one more TE (thinking Gresham) with some size. I'd like to see us get to the point where teams know we'll run it and we still move the ball. Perhaps getting Mathis in a trade will be the last piece we need.

I think everything so far makes sense. As stated above, they had a plan, but of course not everything could go exactly the way they wanted.

When a talent like Percy Harvin becomes available - you go and get him. That wasn't part of the plan, but it's taking advantage of an opportunity.

The only things we still need are TE and OL help. I think we get Gresham and maybe look at another guy in the draft. I think we try a trade for Mathis and if that doesn't work, we look at Blalock or the draft. There is still plenty of time. And for what it's worth, Urbik was doing fine at G before Marrone came around, and I still wonder if his regression isn't St. Doug's fault.

Edited by Big C