Do you think Hughes is worth a big new deal or move on

Sign Hughes to a deal  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign Hughes to a new Contract

Too much is... too much, but he's worth more here with big incentive money and a slightly lower base. He can actually earn more beacause of the surrounding talent. Like the rest (understandably), he'll go for the biggest sure thing.

Edited by Augie

I say move on, he played well above and beyond anyone thought when we got him. If he is really pushing FA or big money I will say FA and bring in some O-Line and a different player. I think he would flourish on a Rex defense... But it is all about the Benjamin's baby.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I think the Bills have a price they believe he is worth and are willing to pay - but will not over pay. I also think they have contingency plans in place (in terms of a replacement) if he decides to walk. I would like him back; however, I would not over pay. I have faith that the defense will be top 5 with, or without, him.

With the increase in the cap, "overpaying" numbers are going to change. If $10M was overpaying before, maybe it is $11 or $12M now. I am for signing Hughes so long as they sign another OL, which I think is a dire need.

Edited by norton20

In my opinion Hugh's is great right now, but hear me out.. He is undersized as a defensive end. This hasn't effected him yet but long term I don't think his body will hold up. We know he's not a true OLB from his Indy days. I don't think that a long term contract for him is a good idea for us. I love the guy since he came here but I think he's benefited a lot from his teammates too. I think we can find a cheaper option that could be successful too.(I'm now in the fetal position awaiting the hate).

This isn't an easy question in my opinion. Can you get similar production with less money? I think it is highly possible. Maybin could get 6 sacks playing on a line with Mario, Kyle, and Marcel. But it's not just about sacks.

Another thing to ponder, what you consider a high price for a player today, often turns out to be relatively inexpensive within 2 - 3 years. Such is the effect of the ever increasing salary cap.

If I have to pay more than 7 Million per year which all indicators point to it being way higher than that, I let him walk....Remember he was a nobody prior to playing alongside the 3 best DL in the League. You put him on an average D-line where he is the focal point of the offensive blocking schemes he'll disappear for 3 games at a time. He doesnt have the size and strength to disrupt on his own. As part of our system with 2-3 other guys drawing double teams on any given play and him being a speed demon, he fits in very well, and i'm sure he as a player understands this. If he wants success he stays with us, if he wants money, he leaves.

Edited by Stussy109

If I have to pay more than 7 Million per year which all indicators point to it being way higher than that, I let him walk....Remember he was a nobody prior to playing alongside the 3 best DL in the League.

Did he benefit from the players around him? Absolutely! And they benefited from his presence as well. The "nobody" was a two time All American and a first round draft choice. There's a chance that just maybe he wasn't prepared or used properly. Will he live up to what he's shown with our talent surrounding him? Probably not, but someone will pay. Then we have to replace him. Bringing him in may have been my favorite Whalley move so far.

The Bills will have a pass rush with or without Hughes. Everybody on the defense is likely to get at least a sack or a pick, if not both as far as the secondary goes. The Bills return to a single high safety negates having an A. Williams clone on the team. Searcy is good, but it took a lot of reps to get their. Young guys can step in and play sometimes. Nobody saw Bradham's season coming, and that had nothing to do with coaching. That was opportunity meets maturity and newfound commitment. Fans should be excited that there might be another really good young defender to emerge. Duke is feast or famine at safety right now, but if given a chance to start while being used completely differently than with Schwartz, then I would wager that by Thanksgiving, he'll be on the Jim Rome show talking about "how all the pieces are just coming together right now...". :beer:

I voted no because of the thread title. Big contract to me sounded like you meant overpay or let him walk. I'd like him back for the right price

agreed

I want him back too and I'm willing to overpay if that's what it takes.

He is a good player not a great player. Lets face it, his job became alot easier when he started playing with Mario, Dareus, & Kyle. He can be replaced.

if you don't have a pass rush you better have aaron rodgers, well we don't have aaron rodgers.

I think they will manage a pass rush.

Only one team has aaron Rodgers and by the way , we beat that team. With Hughes playing.. :flirt:

Stating the obvious: What we think has no bearing whatsoever on the outcome. Doug will do what is best for the Buffalo Bills. And Terry will cut the checks. And we will get much better.

However, it's fun to read all the speculation. I get nut deep into all of this pondering and pontification.

People need to understand that the "overpay" issue is in play solely because of the position. Teams need to allocate the cap across all the position groups -- you can overpay a player or two, but only if the other players in that "group" have reasonable (or cheap) contracts. That's why the Hughes decision is difficult; they're already paying Mario and Kyle big bucks and Dareus is next. They can afford to overpay Shady b cause everyone else at RB is relatively cheap. Same argument goes for Searcy at S, by the way.

Did he benefit from the players around him? Absolutely! And they benefited from his presence as well. The "nobody" was a two time All American and a first round draft choice. There's a chance that just maybe he wasn't prepared or used properly. Will he live up to what he's shown with our talent surrounding him? Probably not, but someone will pay. Then we have to replace him. Bringing him in may have been my favorite Whalley move so far.

What you did in college matters all the way up until draft day. After that it's what you do in the League that matters.

Yes i want Hughes back. No i do not think he is worth $12mil a season. Replace him with the next guy who will look as good playing with 3 pro bowlers and in Rex's system.

I feel like I've seen two main cut offs around the board- most seem good with anything up to 10m per, then there's 10-12m being a mixed bag, and 12 being the hardline for pretty much everyone

fair assessment of us i think.

I agree with alot of the people about his success being atributed to the scheme and the players around him. I'm really impressed with his production with his past couple years and his final year with the pats. However, with our front 4 (or front 3 now with rex) anyone in that position is likely to succeed. MD, MW, and KW will continue to draw the double teams. If anything, I thought Jerry was only average against the run. So will Spikes likely gone, I wouldn't mind finding someone who will be a little cheaper, play better run defense, despite not having as much of the pass rushing sex appeal.