Jerry Hughes signs 5-year deal with Bills

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:w00t:

Yes to all of the above. That said, Levitre hasn't exactly earned the preposterous money that lured him away from OBD.

the issue wasn't letting him walk for that money, it was that we couldn't adequately replace him. The FA decision in a vacuum was the right one.

Levitre played well in Buffalo. Not sure if it was a difference in schemes or because of injuries that he has not performed well for the Titans.

McCoy should be an upgrade, but at what price? His cap hit is approximately $10 million, and we traded Kiko (a former second round pick) and are not re-signing Spiller (a former first round pick). Does not seem like good overall value to me, which seems to happen a lot with the Bills.

Letting quality free agents depart can be the right decision, as long as you have quality replacements for those players. This has been the problem for the Bills.

Levitre played well in Buffalo. Not sure if it was a difference in schemes or because of injuries that he has not performed well for the Titans.

McCoy should be an upgrade, but at what price? His cap hit is approximately $10 million, and we traded Kiko (a former second round pick) and are not re-signing Spiller (a former first round pick). Does not seem like good overall value to me, which seems to happen a lot with the Bills.

Letting quality free agents depart can be the right decision, as long as you have quality replacements for those players. This has been the problem for the Bills.

So McCoy should be an upgrade, but not re-signing Spiller is a problem? McCoy replaces Spiller. If you're worried about the cap hit, don't worry too much. The hit goes down next year, and they can always restructure to spread it out better (which they almost certainly will). I don't see the problem here.

It really sounds like it comes down to trading away Kiko for you. Yet free agency hasn't even started yet, so we don't yet know what will replace his absence, or even, as others have suggested, if we don't particularly need another OLB. Either way, it seems a lot more prudent to be patient and see how this plays out.

The team let Byrd walk last year and the defense was fine and this year not having his contract on the books is a good thing. Levitre got a ludicrous deal from the Titans and the team couldn't match or come close to that offer. The team didn't replace Levitre properly but not tying up that kind of resources to a guard of his caliber (Good but not top 3-4 at his position) was a smart move.

So letting Spiller who was ineffective most of the time walk is a good thing. The Kiko trade might not work out but at least the offense got much more dynamic with McCoy and Kiko might have asked out of Buffalo anyway.

There is a lot of value in knowing who to let walk and who to bring in. Hopefully the team makes the right call on just how much Hughes is worth.

I did not think that the Bills should pay Spiller the $4.5 million that was supposedly offered, but I also do not think that McCoy is worth more than $10 million per year. Running backs are not as valued, have short careers and this seems to be a strong draft for running backs. I get it that the Bills likely will restructure McCoy's deal, but I assume it will still have significant short and long term cap ramifications, particularly if base salaries are converted to bonuses. Clearly, the Bills defense played well last year without Kiko, but if they lose Hughes and Spikes, will the defense be as strong this year? I must admit, I also was looking forward to seeing how Kiko would perform in Ryan's defense, but it appears that Ryan did not think he was a fit.

Edited by jahnyc

I did not think that the Bills should pay Spiller the $4.5 million that was supposedly offered, but I also do not think that McCoy is worth more than $10 million per year. Running backs are not as valued, have short careers and this seems to be a strong draft for running backs. I get it that the Bills likely will restructure McCoy's deal, but I assume it will still have significant short and long term cap ramifications, particularly if base salaries are converted to bonuses. Clearly, the Bills defense played well last year without Kiko, but if they lose Hughes and Spikes, will the defense be as strong this year? I must admit, I also was looking forward to seeing how Kiko would perform in Ryan's defense, but it appears that Ryan did not think he was a fit.

RB is important to this team, more so than to the average NFL team I think. It's ok to have more $ tied in that position than most teams.

Sal Capaccio @SalSports 14s15 seconds ago

This reported new deal for McCoy COULD BE the precursor to getting Hughes locked up before Tuesday. Frees up some $. Let's hope and see.

We still have cap room and this shouldn't prevent us from signing him right now...Although yes it does help for others pieces we want to add...

We still have cap room and this shouldn't prevent us from signing him right now...Although yes it does help for others pieces we want to add...

The Bills will still need to add a TE (or two), an O-lineman (either Guard or Tackle), and may add another LB. While I hope Hughes gets resigned, the Bills shouldn't over pay him with the needs they have, plus Dareus' contract coming up next year.

The Bills will still need to add a TE (or two), an O-lineman (either Guard or Tackle), and may add another LB. While I hope Hughes gets resigned, the Bills shouldn't over pay him with the needs they have, plus Dareus' contract coming up next year.

Plenty of cap space to sign anyone they want.....vets will be released this year and next to free up more. Cap goes up again next year......I promise last time I bring this up!!...........(maybe)

I agree with all of that. Just saying restructuring McCoy as soon as Tuesday shouldn't stop us from re-upping Hughes before then...We have some room to breathe to sign him now, others on Tuesday and will have more once we restructure Shady...

Jerry wants to get paid. People will automatically blame the Bills. But the Bills just simply cannot afford to sign him to what he wants.

IMO, Jerry is going to go down as one of those bad FA signings that does not live up to the contract if he gets the 10+MM a year. He will no longer had Mario and Dareus to take pressure off of him.

Good luck to him though.

Agreed.....

Plenty of cap space to sign anyone they want.....vets will be released this year and next to free up more. Cap goes up again next year......I promise last time I bring this up!!...........(maybe)

But what about the cap space? We have people to sign next year and Whaley is totally unaware that there is a salary cap.

But what about the cap space? We have people to sign next year and Whaley is totally unaware that there is a salary cap.

maybe it would be a good idea to finally have a discussion on this.

i really have no idea if i want the bills to resign hughes or not. keep flip-flopping. toughest FA call we've had in a while.

The media reports are flip-flopping. Nothing from the Bills directly.

i really have no idea if i want the bills to resign hughes or not. keep flip-flopping. toughest FA call we've had in a while.

I think the complete opposite and that it is pretty simple.

The Bills very much want to re-sign Hughes.

Hughes very much wants to re-sign with the Bills.

The Bills have a ceiling they will pay for him, let's say 10-11m.

Hughes and his agent hear/know they can get 12-13 in FA.

The Bills keep inching up. Hughes and Agent keep hoping they will get to that 12-13 range.

The only thing stopping a deal is the Bills don't know what Hughes' magic number is for staying and Hughes and Agent don't know the Bills absolute ceiling.

If it's close, they will sign. If it's not, they will field offers in FA and tell the Bills to match it or come close and then he'll re-sign. The risk is that the Bills will go after someone else in the meantime.

If I'm jerry or any other player, it doesn't matter if I make 9 mill a year or 12. Only number that really matters is guaranteed money. Signing the a huge yearly salary means nothing.

I'm guessing that is the sticking point in negotiations.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between guaranteed money and yearly. Serious question. Also does one effect the cap and not the other?

If I'm jerry or any other player, it doesn't matter if I make 9 mill a year or 12. Only number that really matters is guaranteed money. Signing the a huge yearly salary means nothing.

This did not favor us under Ralph. This is less an issue now- assuming we want to play the game

It really depends on who we are bidding against... we have room, but not the most room. We're willing to pay, but not too much, whereas someone like the Jags can pay basically anything. Keeping my fingers crossed!