Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all are killing me with this whole Matt "King of the" Cassel sucks thing. He's not on the Peyton/Brees/Rodgers level, but guys like that aren't available.

When in a good system with a decent team he's had good results. Patsies went 11-5 with him under center and the Cheaps went 10-6 with him under center a couple of years later.

In a ground and pound game manager role with a monster D, he should do well IMHO.

It's the old TBD addage, "a team wins because of it's QB" (unless it's someone we don't like).

Edited by reddogblitz

Y'all are killing me with this whole Matt "King of the" Cassel sucks thing. He's not on the Peyton/Brees/Rodgers level, but guys like that aren't available.

When in a good system with a decent team he's had good results. Patsies went 11-5 with him under center and the Cheaps went 10-6 with him under center a couple of years later.

In a ground and pound game manager role with a monster D, he should do well IMHO.

It's the old TBD addage, "a team wins because of it's QB" (unless it's someone we don't like).

Cassel is fine. He's just meh. The idea of starting not good enough for the Vikes or Chiefs is just meh and a little depressing.

Cassel is fine. He's just meh. The idea of starting not good enough for the Vikes or Chiefs is just meh and a little depressing.

I'd be a little shocked if Manuel couldn't beat out Cassell. I think both players are the same in terms of throwing ability. Cassell wins in the leadership department because like Orton, he can carry himself as the "boss" in the huddle. That's something Manuel seriously needs to work on (no more buddy buddy EJ as Spiller eluded to). However, Manuel is a QB who could extend plays and run for TDs close to the goal line.

I think that extending plays is a key element that Roman would like on passing plays because those situations are where big down the field plays can happen and it's something that can't be be game planned by a defense.

If they are tied then you've got to go with the unknown in Manuel. Cassell is a known backup only QB.

Love the optimism, but personally I think he really sucks. He's the sort of guy Manuel may actually be able to beat out if he just begins to get it together slightly (a huge if).

Has he not taken two teams to the playoffs?? He's capable, something we haven't had in YEARS!

I honestly think he's gotten worse. He seems slower.

Hem. Hem Lessac.

Then when he makes a play you can say "That's classic Hem Lassac"

Edited by stevewin

Untrue. Cassel was the backup for Ponder while he got his "development" year. He was, without question, better than Ponder. Also, Cassel was the original starter for 2014.

Cassel will start, we will run the ball 30+ times a game, and we'll get to the playoffs.

Question for those who have studied the FA QB list -- if cassell had been a FA this year, where would he have fallen in terms of rank?

TBH, I would say somewhere around Sanchez. Both had success when there weren't asked to do too much, and work a power run game. For reference, looking at what Sanchez did in Philly with the passing "mastermind" of Chip Kelly was being able to hold his own against mediocre teams, but crumpling like a house of cards against serious teams coming down the stretch in December. If EJ can't win out against Cassel, that is the level of competence you have to look forward to.People celebrating about Cassel should take notice.

TBH, I would say somewhere around Sanchez. Both had success when there weren't asked to do too much, and work a power run game. For reference, looking at what Sanchez did in Philly with the passing "mastermind" of Chip Kelly was being able to hold his own against mediocre teams, but crumpling like a house of cards against serious teams coming down the stretch in December. If EJ can't win out against Cassel, that is the level of competence you have to look forward to.People celebrating about Cassel should take notice.

Please point these people out. I haven't seen them. But Cassel brings that mentor/backup to EJ the Bills have needed since day one, and essentially replaces Orton on the roster. That's all I was looking for.