Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not one to judge a player based on a few bad performances through a career. But my gosh this QB over the course of his entire career has shown poor decision making as exemplified in these videos that show he hasn't learned from past mistakes.

The sacks aren't just a result of offensive line issues. There are some receivers open and the chance to throw it away if he doesn't see it. Look the point of this isn't to take a look at a few bad plays and label Cassel as a bad QB, but rather to show that the decision making by Cassel did not improve dramatically over the course of his career. Say whatever you will about Orton (I personally was no fan) but it was absolutely rare that he would make such bad decisions unless there was an immediate line break from a blitz.

All in all, I think the Bills made the best choice they could but those that are thinking that Cassel will do something impressive should rather be hoping that: 1. EJ is the starter, 2. Cassel can provide veteran guidance to EJ in terms of being a leader, and 3. finally for one WHOLE year, the Bills can see what they have in EJ and put to rest whether they made the right decision or not in drafting him in the first round.

Edited by Vinaccia

I am not one to judge a player based on a few bad performances through a career. But my gosh this QB over the course of his entire career has shown poor decision making as exemplified in these videos that show he hasn't learned from past mistakes.

The sacks aren't just a result of offensive line issues. There are some receivers open and the chance to throw it away if he doesn't see it. Look the point of this isn't to take a look at a few bad plays and label Cassel as a bad QB, but rather to show that the decision making by Cassel did not improve dramatically over the course of his career. Say whatever you will about Orton (I personally was no fan) but it was absolutely rare that he would make such bad decisions unless there was an immediate line break from a blitz.

All in all, I think the Bills made the best choice they could but those that are thinking that Cassel will do something impressive should rather be hoping that: 1. EJ is the starter, 2. Cassel can provide veteran guidance to EJ in terms of being a leader, and 3. finally for one WHOLE year, the Bills can see what they have in EJ and put to rest whether they made the right decision or not in drafting him in the first round.

OMG! Please contact the front office and tell them that they should void the trade!

JHFC! You show four clips - one's against The Bills, one agains Detroit, and two against the Pats*. Four !@#$ing great Ds.

Get !@#$ing real.

Hopefully EJ earns the nod.

From your lips to Gosh's ears.

Edited by Nanker

OMG! Please contact the front office and tell them that they should void the trade!

JHFC! You show four clips - one's against The Bills, one agains Detroit, and two against the Pats*. Four !@#$ing great Ds.

Get !@#$ing real.

From your lips to Gosh's ears.

Never suggested that the Bills didn't do their due diligence in choosing the best available. Instead I stated the opposite. Furthermore the small sample size was noted as just examples of non-improvement and the continuation of bad habits over a period of years.

I don't agree about your opinion on ortons decision making. I saw more than a handful of times receivers open and Orton missing them. Combine that with his poor accuracy and he was a below average qb. Why do you think Sammy and the coaches said Watkins should have out up better numbers?

I don't mean to say cassel is a better qb, but it's worth a try I guess and I'm certainly happy Orton retired.

I don't agree about your opinion on ortons decision making. I saw more than a handful of times receivers open and Orton missing them. Combine that with his poor accuracy and he was a below average qb. Why do you think Sammy and the coaches said Watkins should have out up better numbers?

I don't mean to say cassel is a better qb, but it's worth a try I guess and I'm certainly happy Orton retired.

I am with you 100% on Orton retiring and the fact that Orton had poor accuracy and was a below average quarterback. However by decision making, I mean not leaving himself out there to turn the ball over with a sack while running around. Although Orton was not a good quarterback, if he saw someone blitzing through the line more times than not he used to protect the ball and get ready for the sack or simply throw it away. Although admirable, Cassel often doesn't do that and tries to keep the play alive and although a valiant effort, he doesn't have the talent to get the ball to the receiver nor the athleticism to escape the tackle and make the play.

I suppose it is a good sign. But I am wondering that the draft forecasters are predicting that Marcus Mariota may fall to a far as number 10, St Louis is at # 10 and Minnesota is at # 11 could we ditch Alonso trade and keep Alonso for a trade with St. Louis. My thought is that in the draft if St. Louis picks up Mariota we could trade Alonso during the draft for Sam Bradford. If St. Louis does not pick up Mariota then we could also use Alonso for a trade with St. Louis and try to move up in the draft to their tenth spot during the draft and pick up Mariota. We would get value for value as taking Sam Bradford in my scenario is much better than trading Alonso for Lesean McCoy. Running backs are a dime a dozen and if our scouts are doing their jobs they can find an adequate RB in the draft or as a unsigned free agent after the draft.

I suppose it is a good sign. But I am wondering that the draft forecasters are predicting that Marcus Mariota may fall to a far as number 10, St Louis is at # 10 and Minnesota is at # 11 could we ditch Alonso trade and keep Alonso for a trade with St. Louis. My thought is that in the draft if St. Louis picks up Mariota we could trade Alonso during the draft for Sam Bradford. If St. Louis does not pick up Mariota then we could also use Alonso for a trade with St. Louis and try to move up in the draft to their tenth spot during the draft and pick up Mariota. We would get value for value as taking Sam Bradford in my scenario is much better than trading Alonso for Lesean McCoy. Running backs are a dime a dozen and if our scouts are doing their jobs they can find an adequate RB in the draft or as a unsigned free agent after the draft.

So, the Bills should "ditch" the Alonso trade now or wait until the draft? Should the ditching be done before Shady signs his new contract?

I am with you 100% on Orton retiring and the fact that Orton had poor accuracy and was a below average quarterback. However by decision making, I mean not leaving himself out there to turn the ball over with a sack while running around. Although Orton was not a good quarterback, if he saw someone blitzing through the line more times than not he used to protect the ball and get ready for the sack or simply throw it away. Although admirable, Cassel often doesn't do that and tries to keep the play alive and although a valiant effort, he doesn't have the talent to get the ball to the receiver nor the athleticism to escape the tackle and make the play.

Ahh, valid point.

Hopefully EJ outplays him and we don't have to worry about seeing Cassel on the field. Between EJ learning how to be more of a leader through Orton and hopefully not being as passive with his throws, maybe we see a new man back there.

Complete audio: Greg Cosell: Cassel "is a very solid NFL QB" http://ow.ly/2VLsDv ......WARNING!!! EJ fanbois will not like the audio

This means nothing. He has thrown 30 tds and 34 ints his last 4 years & has a losing record for career. That is the opposite of solid.

And I love the term fanboi. Don't give up on a young Qb after 2 years = fanboi. Great logic.

Complete audio: Greg Cosell: Cassel "is a very solid NFL QB" http://ow.ly/2VLsDv ......WARNING!!! EJ fanbois will not like the audio

Define very solid NFL QB

Fitz could be described as very solid NFL QB, so too could Alex Smith and a Russel Wilson

some 2014 stats to compare

EJ Manuel Comp % 58.0, YPG 167.6

Meh Cassel Comp % 57.7, YPG 141.7

I am not trashing Meh, l am just saying if the 2 are = let the younger guy play!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever