Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

just googled it, Cassel has 8 career 4th quarter comebacks. Manuel has 7 career wins. Counting his mop up appearance against the Jets last year as a win for him.

What? How is that meaningful? Cassel has played like 10 years. Since a good year in KC, he has sucked. 30 tds, 34 ints. EJ has 3 game winning drives in 14 starts, almost half as Half as many as Cassel has had in his own career.

Like I said, I'm fine with him as a backup. But it would suck big time to have him start. There is no upside.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? How is that meaningful? Cassel has played like 10 years. Since a good year in KC, he has sucked. 30 tds, 34 ints. EJ has 3 game winning drives in 14 starts, almost half as Half as many as Cassel has had in his own career.

Like I said, I'm fine with him as a backup. But it would suck big time to have him start. There is no upside.

Zero upside

Okay. Here's what I found.

15 games, EJ - 236/437 58.5% completion, 2810 yards, 6.43 YPA, 16 TD's, 12 picks, 4 fumbles, 31.05 QBR, (just averaged both years QBR's, couldn't find it cumulative) 78.5 career passer rating

13 games, King of the Castle - 194/325 59.6% completion, 2232 yards, 6.87 YPA, 14 TD's, 13 picks, 3 fumbles, 38.8 QBR, 80.1 career passer rating

So besides 1 more pick and two less TD"s in 2 less games, where does EJ have better numbers? Enlighten me

That career qb rating is crap. Again, I don't care about 4 years ago. Last year, he had a 65 qb rating. That's what is important.

It's funny how people acted like Orton regressed last year. He didn't regress, he was simply Kyle Orton. It's the same thing with Cassel. He is what he is and it's not good enough for a playoff team (or really any NFL team to start).

This franchise loves trying with washout Qbs and hoping it will be different. It won't.

That career qb rating is crap. Again, I don't care about 4 years ago. Last year, he had a 65 qb rating. That's what is important.

It's funny how people acted like Orton regressed last year. He didn't regress, he was simply Kyle Orton. It's the same thing with Cassel. He is what he is and it's not good enough for a playoff team (or really any NFL team to start).

This franchise loves trying with washout Qbs and hoping it will be different. It won't.

I see you didn't tackle QBR, yet you waved that around all the time in other conversations. I'm surprised.

it's always a little different, though. case in point: only one of our washout qb's was decapitated by a floor mat during training camp. the rest of our washout qb's have effortlessly navigated those floor mats without incident. in that way, each washout brings us something new and unique. they're like snowflakes.

A guy younger than him with better numbers. But 2 years makes a career. See Jerry Hughes.

Great response. The 10th year qb had a 9 point better qbr than the 2nd year one. I feel much better about Cassel now.

1) claiming a 28 qbr as a win for Cassel is sad

2) EJ has a better td to int ratio the last 2 years than Cassel

3) Cassel has been garbage in the 4 years since his last good season. It's been a downward spiral.

it's always a little different, though. case in point: only one of our washout qb's was decapitated by a floor mat during training camp. the rest of our washout qb's have effortlessly navigated those floor mats without incident. in that way, each washout brings us something new and unique. they're like snowflakes.

:)

Cassel is a step down from Orton IMO. Both were career middle of the road QBs. The Bills are clearly still searching for their answer at QB. They probably aren't going to find him this year barring a surprising trade. I don't think that EJ, Cassel, a rookie or FA is the long term solution.

1) claiming a 28 qbr as a win for Cassel is sad

2) EJ has a better td to int ratio the last 2 years than Cassel

3) Cassel has been garbage in the 4 years since his last good season. It's been a downward spiral.

He claims that of Meh Cassel's QBR of 17 - rating of 39.1 in a 30-7 LOSS v NE a win

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8644/matt-cassel

What's the argument about? I'll only be pissed if there isn't a legit QB competition in camp. If there is then let the best man win. I want EJ to succeed but he doesn't need to be handled the job, he needs to earn it. That being said if the competition is very close I'd give the nod to EJ as he's the one with some upside.

What's the argument about? I'll only be pissed if there isn't a legit QB competition in camp. If there is then let the best man win. I want EJ to succeed but he doesn't need to be handled the job, he needs to earn it. That being said if the competition is very close I'd give the nod to EJ as he's the one with some upside.

I agree. I'm an EJ supporter but I won't be mad if he loses in the QB competition. Unlike Orton, I think that Cassell is going to help in Manuel's development. If Manuel proves he's not ready to take over the team then that doesn't necessarily mean for the entire season. Maybe eight games in, Cassell is not playing well and Manuel starts looking like he's ready to roll in Roman's system. Manuel is still a project and Cassell is a known backup QB who's capable of starting now and then. Let the best QB win and then let the season play out.

Edited by 1billsfan