Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

I may be one of the few, but I would rather have Kiko and re-sign CJ (at presumably a much lower cap hit than Shady).

I suspect that the Eagles will be the ones that will have both Kiko and CJ now.

I keep on reading how Kiko is redundant given that we had a top defense last year. Did I miss something - have we re-signed Jerry Hughes? Rhetorical question. Even if we sign Hughes, we will be spending a huge amount of money on both Hughes and McCoy as opposed to Kiko and CJ.

Oh well.

Go Bills!

Oh well, indeed! Hoping for the best, but I'm afraid we got robbed long term. I've been a Whaley supporter, but now I'm not so sure. I don't want Rex anywhere near personnel.... or, really, anything else. He's a snake oil salesman in my current foul mood! The D with Schwartz last year was solid all around. It would be better with Kiko. CJ used properly is plenty dangerous, certainly cheaper and younger.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His numbers went down because he had nearly a yard lower yards per carry average and 5-yard lower yards per reception average. Plus he fumbled far more last season than in the previous one. Quite simply, he was better in 2013 than he was in 2014, and it's not really debateable: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoLe01.htm .

The way he was used was the biggest reason for that difference. I don't know what was going on behind the scenes but there were certainly rumors of a rift between him and Kelly. Chip Kelly would routinely pull Shady from the redzone. Why would an offensive genius (and he's great) like Kelly ever pull one of the best red zone threats as consistently as he did? It was maddening. The only thing that makes less sense was Marrone's refusal to dress Mike Williams.

His numbers were down, no debate about that. But if you watched the Eagles' season, you'd come away with two certainties: 1) Shady was misused -- for whatever reason, he was not used properly in 14 and 2) Mark Sanchez is not the answer at QB for the Bills. B-)

Edited by GreggyT

I don't get this either. Do they see Preston Brown being able to fill Kiko's role? I thought this draft was pretty heavy on RBs. This I don't like.

the team is aware of all the RBs In The draft. They wanted one who is already proven, apparently.

Wow! We should mark this post. JTSP just found his new toll bone. Maybe he'll stop with the Sammy trolling and focus on Shady. Seriously, you're the worst.

Absolutely true. Nigel has only had one year and Kiko was great while playing out of position. Don't take my support of the trade as bashing Kiko. I think he's good, and loved watching him play. I just think Nigel outplayed him this year and has only scratched the surface of what he can do. If it came down to paying a second contract to either Kiko or Nigel, I'd want Nigel.

But now I can get Nigel and I get Shady?! I'm dancing in the streets now.

I can respect your opinion. as a fellow fan.

But the upside on Kiko could exceed Kuechly.

IF HE IS HEALTHY. thats the statement i will hang my hat on.

those knees.

Oh well, indeed! Hoping for the best, but I'm afraid we got robbed long term. I've been a Whaley supporter, but now I'm not so sure. I don't want Rex anywhere near personnel.... or, really, anything else. He's a snake oil salesman in my current foul mood! The D with Schwartz last year was solid all around. It would be better with Kiko. CJ used properly is plenty dangerous, certainly cheaper and younger.

You forgot that he actually wanted to be here too.

Not a full year anymore. Christ, scott chandler was fully healthy 7+ months after tearing his. By all accounts, alonso's tear was clean. I'd be much more concerned about cartilage damage than an acl these days.

Yeah, and Chandler wasn't very mobile the year he came back, took a full year to get better(still not very mobile)

As another poster said, we had better improve that line (i.e., the left guard position). I do not care who the back is, we better start opening some holes if we plan on running the ball.

Shady had 4.1 yards per carry last year - behind a line that I dare say was better than the Bills line last year. Did he have an off year? Is he in decline? I really hope that is not the case. If Shady is in decline, this turn of events will not be good for the Bills.

Go Bills!

How did he do in 2014? Oh he declined? At about the time RB's (especially undersized RB's) typically decline? Hmm

I can't keep reading this and not offer a rebuttal.

Mccoy had a turf toe injury at the beginning of last year. The Eagles then had their entire offensive line decimated by injury. All that and Mccoy still finished 3rd in rushing and that was a down year for him!

Kiko might be great Mccoy is great.

how do you know any of them would be this good? We have had cheap RBs for ... Ever. Wanna maybe try something new.

shady will end up costing us 9-10 mil. A rookie RB + our current depth would be quite good. Roman and Ajayi would've been a good match

those knees.

Realistically, probably not. LK is bigger, faster, stronger and more explosive.... And every bit as instinctive if not more. And healthy.

This trade shows who is in charge in Buffalo, and it ain't Whaley. This is ALL Rex Ryan. Whaley is not trading his best draft pick (based on draft slot) for a RB.

No doubt. Rex is golden, while Whaley has only bought himself another year for now.

those knees.

Kuechley is worlds better than Kiko. Coming off the injury I'm not prepared to say Kiko is even better than Brown or Bradham.

those knees.

Oh, absolutely. I fully concede the Bills could end up looking like a donkey in this trade three years from now. Kiko could be really, really, outstanding and Shady might hit the wall sooner than I think. I'm not prescient, just optimistic about this one. :beer:

Can't they renegotiate LeSean's deal? Maybe this is why it's taking a week.....to put the final deal to paper and not have a huge cap hit.

No surprise that Kelly wants Kiko. He probably thinks he created him.

Kiko made a lot of tackles. But I remember at least 2 huge TD runs that went through his gap when he over pursued. Plus as has been pointed out numerous times here, our defense was solid without him. Maybe Kiko wanted out because he wasn't sure where he would fit in here.

I doubt this was a single move. I think this is one in a series of calculated moves to improve this football team. It's exciting to me. Our offense sucked last year. It just got a whole lot better.

How is spending a sh=tton of money a calculated move to improve the team ?

ooh we can not resign Hughes too? keeps getting more fun.

Once they bring Cutler in for big money i am throwing something. maybe throwing up, even.

This trade shows who is in charge in Buffalo, and it ain't Whaley. This is ALL Rex Ryan. Whaley is not trading his best draft pick (based on draft slot) for a RB.

Wrong!!!! Whaley comes from Pitt.. They have never payed big $ to LBs. And they run the ball. This was definitely Whaley. Can't believe peeps don't like this trade. We got (arguably) the best RB In the leauge, and a middle of the road G for a 11m dollar cap hit.Kiko has always seemed like a psycho to me.he is a knee injured waiting to happen. He wasn't DROY, he was in the running. We were a great Defence without him. With a true super star at RB We could be a real contender. If we could get a G and Jordan Cameron next, the O would be legit.

I can't keep reading this and not offer a rebuttal.

Mccoy had a turf toe injury at the beginning of last year. The Eagles then had their entire offensive line decimated by injury. All that and Mccoy still finished 3rd in rushing and that was a down year for him!

Kiko might be great Mccoy is great.

Well said.

As another poster said, we had better improve that line (i.e., the left guard position). I do not care who the back is, we better start opening some holes if we plan on running the ball.

Shady had 4.1 yards per carry last year - behind a line that I dare say was better than the Bills line last year. Did he have an off year? Is he in decline? I really hope that is not the case. If Shady is in decline, this turn of events will not be good for the Bills.

Go Bills!

No their line was not better than the Bills last year. Only Jason Peters started all 16 games last year of their original starting O line. The year before all 17 games were started by the same group.

Once they bring Cutler in for big money i am throwing something. maybe throwing up, even.

Why can't we sign hughes? This might even be part of signing hughes as we can only play so many bodies in our front 7 (or 6 as nickel is most teams true base)

Wrong!!!! Whaley comes from Pitt.. They have never payed big $ to LBs. And they run the ball. This was definitely Whaley. Can't believe peeps don't like this trade. We got (arguably) the best RB In the leauge, and a middle of the road G for a 11m dollar cap hit.Kiko has always seemed like a psycho to me.he is a knee injured waiting to happen. He wasn't DROY, he was in the running. We were a great Defence without him. With a true super star at RB We could be a real contender. If we could get a G and Jordan Cameron next, the O would be legit.

... But Pittsburgh kept their good lbs through their rookie contracts. Those first-contract LBs were the oil that lubricated the whole pitt defensive system. This is all Rex.

Edited by dave mcbride

Because Brown and Dixon cost more than the amount of yards they have ran for over their 8 years combined and FJ is getting up there. We got a solid RB. Just need some help on the oline now.

So basically two camps on this:

Camp A- Kiko is the greatest thing since sliced bread, McCoy is washed up, you can find HOF RBs in the 7th round

Camp B- We are deep at linebacker, will likely sign David Harris and McCoy should still be a top 5 back.

shady will end up costing us 9-10 mil. A rookie RB + our current depth would be quite good. Roman and Ajayi would've been a good match

you get what a you pay for. We have no idea what Ajayi will do in the pros. This ain't Boise state, ya'll. ;) Edited by YoloinOhio

Kuechley is worlds better than Kiko. Coming off the injury I'm not prepared to say Kiko is even better than Brown or Bradham.

thats foolish from a Fans perspective. how soon we forget the kids amazing instinct and speed to the ball

So basically two camps on this:

Camp A- Kiko is the greatest thing since sliced bread, McCoy is washed up, you can find HOF RBs in the 7th round

Camp B- We are deep at linebacker, will likely sign David Harris and McCoy should still be a top 5 back.

No, that's inaccurate. Exaggerating for effect just brings down the level of debate.v

So I read the first page and the reaction was hating on the move. Has it gotten any better by page 27? I personally like it - we need to focus resources on the offensive side and can afford no Kiko - see last year as evidence of that. The aspect I don't like is the Eagles can pick up CJ if they want now at no additional personnel compensation, so they get Kiko and downgrade with CJ as shady replacement if they choose. But I'll take the McCoy upgrade over CJ with the Roman led offense.

Realistically, probably not. LK is bigger, faster, stronger and more explosive.... And every bit as instinctive if not more. And healthy.

different positions. and Luke and he were compareble in their respective rookie years

How did he do in 2014? Oh he declined? At about the time RB's (especially undersized RB's) typically decline? Hmm

How did Kiko do in 2014?

So far, we've paid Kiko for two years of work and he's given us one. That's not good ROI.

I like Kiko but we have a paucity of talent on offense and an excess of talent on defense.

And if we can't establish a running attack in 2015, we're screwed.

first two pages of anger is surprising... I expected some but not majority angry. I like it!!! This offense is going to have players everywhere, some QB has to just learn to hand the ball off and throw bubble screens to Sammy!