Schwartz may remain DC...

YoloinOhio

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a lot of conflicting reports being thrown around. We may have to wait for an announcement from the team, Ryan, or Schwartz to know for sure. Roman is being favored as the OC although nothing has been signed.

Even if he were to stay, makes no sense to change defensive alignment again. Just keep the defense intact. Why would Schwartz want to stay if the type of defense is being dictated to him. This is the biggest thing that bums me about a Rex hire, him changing the defense. Can't help but think about shades of Greg Williams coming in

:wallbash: .... :beer::censored: ... :wallbash: ... :thumbdown:... :doh:

wow, dismantled the #4 defense already.... switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 now? I don't get this hire at all.

And what were your thoughts when we lost Pettine and went to Schwartz?

Lets all keep in mind that the Bills had the highest payroll on the defensive side of the ball in the NFL. One could argue that given that #4 not so incredibly impressive. Remind us please how many times we forced the Patriots to punt when we played them in Orchard Park giving up 37 points? In December Rex held that same Brady to 17 points in a narrow 17-16 loss

Yep same old Bills, just new owners....3-4,4-3,3-4,4-3,3-4,4-3,etc etc players never in the same system two years in a row....and instincts do not have a chance to develope....have to think every time....D headed back to medocirty if Ray forces whoever to to 3-4. Honestly, I wish I had not committed to 15 season tickets......and, marketing mistake...ryan reviled by many Bills fans....Pegula's save the franchise, but seem not to get it.

In relation to Schwartz, Rex just want to Win, I cant see a switch to 3-4 happening immediately(If we do, B Spikes will be resigned immediately), wasn't Rex a big proponent of the 4-6 defense? We have the Talent to run that. With our D being as dominant as they were, I cant see them forcing a D change

Yep same old Bills, just new owners....3-4,4-3,3-4,4-3,3-4,4-3,etc etc players never in the same system two years in a row....and instincts do not have a chance to develope....have to think every time....D headed back to medocirty if Ray forces whoever to to 3-4. Honestly, I wish I had not committed to 15 season tickets......and, marketing mistake...ryan reviled by many Bills fans....Pegula's save the franchise, but seem not to get it.

Same old Bills? We go out and spend huge money on one of the most in demand coaches in the league and are planning on paying top dollar for highly respected coordinators. Sounds like a whole new Bills to me! I love it so far.

It says joining staff.... not be DC.

and FYI:

The #Bills have "every intention" of keeping DC Jim Schwartz, just told by high-ranking team source.

Vic Carucci @viccarucci 2h2 hours ago

Told despite different def philosophy, Ryan would be OK w keeping Schwartz as DC bc he "wants to win." Who's running D "doesn't matter."

Edited by Wayne Cubed

If Rex is smart, he keeps Schwartz and let him run the D and just provides help when Schwartz wants it. His failing in NY was that he spent too much time as the defensive coordinator and not enough time as the Head Coach. If we bring in a strong coordinator like Roman/Trestman than I like the hire. Rex is a player's coach and with strong coordinators on both sides of the ball with his focus on being the head coach than I think this could be a good hire.

If the D performs in the top 5 again than you can bet Schwartz gets looks at coaching vacancies next year and then Ryan can bring in Thurman.

Edited by jeremy2020

From the Buffalo News a team source says they will keep Schwartz, and look to hire Greg Roman as OC. OK feeling better as Roman has built a power run game in SF

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/11/reports-bills-hire-rex-ryan-next-coach/

"Additionally, a high-ranking Bills source told the News that the team has "every intention of keeping" defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. Multiple media outlets have reported that Ryan intended to hire Dennis Thurman, his defensive coordinator with the Jets, to replace Schwartz. That would seemingly make more sense considering that Ryan, a former DC, runs a 3-4 base scheme and Schwartz, in his first year with the Bills last season, guided one of the best defenses in the NFL using a 4-3 base."

It says joining staff.... not be DC.

and FYI:

The #Bills have "every intention" of keeping DC Jim Schwartz, just told by high-ranking team source.

Vic Carucci @viccarucci 2h2 hours ago

Told despite different def philosophy, Ryan would be OK w keeping Schwartz as DC bc he "wants to win." Who's running D "doesn't matter."

giphy.gif

Lets all keep in mind that the Bills had the highest payroll on the defensive side of the ball in the NFL. One could argue that given that #4 not so incredibly impressive. Remind us please how many times we forced the Patriots to punt when we played them in Orchard Park giving up 37 points? In December Rex held that same Brady to 17 points in a narrow 17-16 loss

Please don't talk up Rex Ryan as someone who owns the Patriots, as he is 1-7 the last four years against Belichick. Then 3-9 against New England since he has been the HC of the Jets.

Please don't talk up Rex Ryan as someone who owns the Patriots, as he is 1-7 the last four years against Belichick. Then 3-9 against New England since he has been the HC of the Jets.

Last 2 losses this year by a total of 3 points but thats the same us us giving up 37. EVERYONE realizes Brady hates to play against Rex Ryan and his schemes - against Schwartz this year he did not punt once.

This would be a tremendous move. A lot of ego and pride in the coaches office. If it is Trestman, then three guys with HC experience. If anyone can run the ship its the guy with the highest ego.

The interesting point of note is that Ryan has shown success and the capability for continued success as his coordinators leave to other teams.

If you are Schwartz do you stay here with this team and players another year, with Rex, or do you take the Giants job or another DC if it is offered to you and do it on your own?

Tough choice. I think the smart thing to do is stay with the Bills, as long as after your conversation with Rex you are convinced he will let you run your defense.

Schwartz "may" remain? IMO, he must remain and his system shouldn't be anything more than tweaked. There's not a ton of situations where a team sports a top-5 defense while the offense is in the bottom 33% in the NFL. The Bills already had what they needed on defense. If Schwartz does not stay, we're looking at more of the same as we've had. Rebuilding.

Schwartz "may" remain? IMO, he must remain and his system shouldn't be anything more than tweaked. There's not a ton of situations where a team sports a top-5 defense while the offense is in the bottom 33% in the NFL. The Bills already had what they needed on defense. If Schwartz does not stay, we're looking at more of the same as we've had. Rebuilding.

Rex would make the defense #1!

Why do people keep acting like Schwartz built this D? They were very good the year before under Perttine running Rex's D. So good that it landed Pertine a HC job. Schwartz improved the D to be sure but with the talent on board any good DC is going to have a dominant D. The D wouldn't take a step back if Schwartz left.

Id actually say that if they lose Hughes they'd be better off under Rex as Rex is better at using scheme to generated preasure as opposed to Schwartz who simply lets the 4 guys up front do their jobs.

Why do people keep acting like Schwartz built this D? They were very good the year before under Perttine running Rex's D. So good that it landed Pertine a HC job. Schwartz improved the D to be sure but with the talent on board any good DC is going to have a dominant D. The D wouldn't take a step back if Schwartz left.

Id actually say that if they lose Hughes they'd be better off under Rex as Rex is better at using scheme to generated preasure as opposed to Schwartz who simply lets the 4 guys up front do their jobs.

There was a substantial difference in this year's defense. Schwartz did not blitz or gamble. The run defense was substantially better because of it. Last year's defense, Pettine's, was bad against the run because they blitzed so much and when other teams broke through they went for huge chunks of yards and breakaway TDs.

Granted, Spikes helped a lot, as did Bradham, as did Graham as the third CB. But Bills players made it a point to say they were much more detailed and much more designed to stop the run. We don't even need Rex's pressure this year. I wouldn't doubt if he let Schwartz run the defense and just helped with game plans and specific situations and a great mind.

I think i twill be tough for Rex to keep Schwartz (and the rest of our staff) with the considerations for the coaches that have been in NY. I would guess Rex would rather bring the folks he has and keep that coaching group established instead of letting them get jobs around the league. We'll see, Schwartz has been able to get good results from this group, but I think from a long term standpoint Rex goes with his guys.

If there had been a first time head coach who didn't have those coaches I think it would have been a better fit for Schwartz. We'll see.

#2 after Seattle in the much more analytical footballoutsiders ranking ...

So Schwartz inherited Ryan's defense from Pettine and made them better. I wonder if Rex may be impressed by that and work good with Schwartz to make this defense even better. At the very least I could imagine Rex picking Schwartz's brain and find out the things Schwartz did different. Hopefully Rex can think the defense is in great hands and focus more time elsewhere and leave the defense alone.

Football Outsiders team D rankings for the Jets over Ryan's tenure:

2009 - 1

2010 - 5

2011 - 2

2012 - 9

2013 - 12

2014 - 21

Baltimore FO rankings with Rex as DC

2005 - 6

2006 - 1

2007 - 5

2008 - 2

Anyone see a pattern? The decline with Jets started with the arrival of Idzik. Interestingly, the Bills D was run by a Ryan protege in 2013 and finished #4 (they were #2 this season).

Again, great hire.

#2 after Seattle in the much more analytical footballoutsiders ranking ...

I think if you put the Seattle offense with the Bills defense and the Bills offense with the Seattle defense, the Bills are far and away the best defense in the NFL, and a substantially bigger margin than Seattle is now over the Bills. Makes a huge difference.

I think if you put the Seattle offense with the Bills defense and the Bills offense with the Seattle defense, the Bills are far and away the best defense in the NFL, and a substantially bigger margin than Seattle is now over the Bills. Makes a huge difference.

They're both good. I don't want to take anything away from Seattle. As much as I love the Bills D, I can't get to the point of saying they're better than Seattle's.