Minority coaching interview

The league rule is a team must interview 1 minority coach so who will it be? And is that coach a bonifide possibility? I cannot think of many minority coaches out there right now. Most are already locked up in their current positions.

Edited by billsfan_34

Probably bad place to put this...but i really like Hue Jackson. I think his players responded well to him in Oakland, Cinci offense seems to be playing well, he is young and aggressive...and i think being a previous head coach maybe Schwartz would be okay with staying

I believe the rule has worked as intended BTW, and i still like the rule.

Probably bad place to put this...but i really like Hue Jackson. I think his players responded well to him in Oakland, Cinci offense seems to be playing well, he is young and aggressive...and i think being a previous head coach maybe Schwartz would be okay with staying

Another good interview as well. And Cinci has a nice program he could bring his offense along with the leadership learned from Lewis. I like the idea of having a coach on his second stint. The good ones learn from their mistakes such as Pete Carrol.

The rule is the NFL's version of affirmative action. I don't care about the HC race.....I care if he can coach football. OK, comply with the rule.....but the minority guys don't like coming out to Buffalo just so the Bills can get their ticket punched. I don't know a better way to insure minorities are considered, but fear that technical compliance doesn't make a candidate legit. Frankly, I would take a Martian if he gets us to the SuperBowl again.

Do people really think NFL franchises are going to refuse to consider minority coaching candidates unless they're expressly required to interview at least one? It's a stupid rule.

Maybe you should look at the history of black coaches in the NFL. The ratio of black assistant coaches to head coaches was way off prior to this rule being implemented, that is, the % of assistant coaches that were black was way higher than the % of head coaches that are black. It screamed of something going on...most likely subconsciously. Since the rule has been in affect, the gap has narrowed significantly.

Affirmative action policies come with a hiring requirement, there is no such requirement here, it just ensures a fair shot.

Hugh Jackson would be a great choice outside the organization to look at.

Edited by Mark80

Maybe you should look at the history of black coaches in the NFL. The ratio of black assistant coaches to head coaches was way off prior to this rule being implemented, that is, the % of assistant coaches that were black was way higher than the % of head coaches that are black. It screamed of something going on...most likely subconsciously. Since the rule has been in affect, the gap has narrowed significantly.

Affirmative action policies come with a hiring requirement, there is no such requirement here, it just ensures a fair shot.

Hugh Jackson would be a great choice outside the organization to look at.

+1

I thought it was a stupid rule when it was first enacted for the reasons cited above...but it was soon clear it worked. One of the problems was not so much overt racism as an ol' boys network. What happened is that front offices would decide on a coach...usually a big name...but be forced to bring someone in for a token interview to comply with the rule...and often they were impressed. Even though they would go ahead and hire who they had predetermined they would hire, they would spread the word that this guy they had in was really impressive...and very soon there were a lot more minority hires.

Another good interview as well. And Cinci has a nice program he could bring his offense along with the leadership learned from Lewis. I like the idea of having a coach on his second stint. The good ones learn from their mistakes such as Pete Carrol.

It was Carrolls third stint. Fourth if you count the professional team at USC.

As far as the minority coaches go, the Bills should interview Henderson or Pepper Johnson after a phone call to Schwartz, although that's probably unnecessary. Schwartz would understand. The Rooney Rule is a farce for the most part, but it does allow these guys to go through the process and get their ducks in a row and give them some good experience for later when they may be taken more seriously. We should afford our guys that experience rather than some outsider who has no chance. If they look at Bowles it's somewhat of a slap to Schwartz.

I think the two outstanding minority candidates at the moment are Todd Bowles and Hue Jackson. Frankly both would be on my shortlist but I think as has been said above if you appoint Bowles then the chances of Schwartz wanting to stay appear, on paper at least, slim.

I'd interview Jackson, and I'd consider him a real candidate. No need to go through a charade with Pepper when there's a bona fide candidate who satisfies the rule.

A guy like Jackson would be a total slap in the face to Schwartz. He would hate it to no end. I'm sure Pegula will make it worth his while to stay, but we are in somewhat of a bind with regards to Schwartz. You really can't hire a guy like Jackson. You have to hire a first time hotshot offensive guy candidate or big time college guy or huge name like Cowher. Otherwise, you might as well hire Schwartz.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

A guy like Jackson would be a total slap in the face to Schwartz. He would hate it to no end. I'm sure Pegula will make it worth his while to stay, but we are in somewhat of a bind with regards to Schwartz. You really can't hire a guy like Jackson. You have to hire a first time hotshot offensive guy candidate or big time college guy or huge name like Cowher. Otherwise, you might as well hire Schwartz.

why do you think this Kelly?

why do you think this Kelly?

Because Schwartz, rightfully, believes he should be a strong candidate for the job. He did a great job last year. He's been a head coach before. Most guys like him get one more chance down the road. This year is probably not the year he gets the looks because he's only one year removed from Detroit. But he's a viable candidate. You can convince him to stay and to go along with the idea that you head a strong defense, we are going to sign a hotshot offensive guy like Gase or Bevell who will come in and run the offense and you run the defense. Or a manager type like Reich who would hire an OC. You can sell a big college name as a coup, or a guy like Cowher. You can't sell him on a retread like Jackson who is just like him. He would consider that a slap in his face. I understand Jackson didn't get three years or so, but he still had control over s team and he was not asked back.

Because Schwartz, rightfully, believes he should be a strong candidate for the job. He did a great job last year. He's been a head coach before. Most guys like him get one more chance down the road. This year is probably not the year he gets the looks because he's only one year removed from Detroit. But he's a viable candidate. You can convince him to stay and to go along with the idea that you head a strong defense, we are going to sign a hotshot offensive guy like Gase or Bevell who will come in and run the offense and you run the defense. Or a manager type like Reich who would hire an OC. You can sell a big college name as a coup, or a guy like Cowher. You can't sell him on a retread like Jackson who is just like him. He would consider that a slap in his face. I understand Jackson didn't get three years or so, but he still had control over s team and he was not asked back.

in essence, its hard even for you or i to be passed up for a promotion we feel we are more qualified for than our future boss.

And, I could be doing the same with Jackson that others around the league are doing to Marrone...in essence "if he could win in Oakland" think what he could do here?

I just don't see him as a retread.

And BTW, i also have no objection to Shwartz getting the job..would prefer him over Reich

You can't sell him on a retread like Jackson who is just like him. He would consider that a slap in his face. I understand Jackson didn't get three years or so, but he still had control over s team and he was not asked back.

I could see that argument with a defensive candidate like Bowles, but Jackson's an offensive guy. Frankly, I imagine Schwartz would be less offended by him than by a relative neophyte like Reich or Gase (though I imagine Schwartz will in actuality resent them hiring anyone other than Cowher or Jim Schwartz).

And, I could be doing the same with Jackson that others around the league are doing to Marrone...in essence "if he could win in Oakland" think what he could do here?

And BTW, i also have no objection to Shwartz getting the job..would prefer him over Reich

It really has nothing to do with how good he is though. I thought he did a pretty good job. I wouldn't even mind him as OC if Reich were to get the job. Retread has a bad connotation obviously. I was simply talking about from Schwartz's point of view, he had one chance and looking for a second, and Jackson had one chance and looking for a second. And with that unknown and Schwartz already here, he should get that job not Jackson

It was Carrolls third stint. Fourth if you count the professional team at USC.

As far as the minority coaches go, the Bills should interview Henderson or Pepper Johnson after a phone call to Schwartz, although that's probably unnecessary. Schwartz would understand. The Rooney Rule is a farce for the most part, but it does allow these guys to go through the process and get their ducks in a row and give them some good experience for later when they may be taken more seriously. We should afford our guys that experience rather than some outsider who has no chance. If they look at Bowles it's somewhat of a slap to Schwartz.

My bad, I thought the Jets was his first NFL gig

I think Schwartz will be upset no matter what happens. In my opinion, if the Bills had another good Defensive year and Schwartz kept a low profile, he will be gone after 2015 anyway. I think he'd really be pissed if the Bills make a charade out of the Rooney Rule to interview one of Schwartz' assistants. Hue Jackson got a raw deal in Oakland from what I remember and I don't see him as a re-tread either. He didn't get shown the door because he was unsuccessful. And all that being said, I also wouldn't think shifting Schwartz over to HC is a bad idea, depending on who the Bills bring in as OC.

I could see that argument with a defensive candidate like Bowles, but Jackson's an offensive guy. Frankly, I imagine Schwartz would be less offended by him than by a relative neophyte like Reich or Gase (though I imagine Schwartz will in actuality resent them hiring anyone other than Cowher or Jim Schwartz).

He understands the hotshot sexy choices. Teams pick them way more than second chance guys like him. He's smart and he's been around this for 20 years. He would understand the Bills picking Gase. He looks at Jackson as a guy like him.

My bad, I thought the Jets was his first NFL gig

I think he only had three years total between the Pats and Jets but it could have been four.

Somewhere I read that Hue Jackson comes on like Pete Carroll when you first meet him with all sorts of confidence and positive energy. But, according to the article, the pretense wears thin after a while and you see Jackson for what he really is: a fraud & pretender.

I'm smart enough not to believe everything I read yet this negative description of Jackson sticks with me even though I've read more positive takes since.

Hue did go 8-8 with a weak Raiders squad in 2011. They haven't won more than 4 games in a season since he left.

I think Schwartz will be upset no matter what happens. In my opinion, if the Bills had another good Defensive year and Schwartz kept a low profile, he will be gone after 2015 anyway. I think he'd really be pissed if the Bills make a charade out of the Rooney Rule to interview one of Schwartz' assistants. Hue Jackson got a raw deal in Oakland from what I remember and I don't see him as a re-tread either. He didn't get shown the door because he was unsuccessful. And all that being said, I also wouldn't think shifting Schwartz over to HC is a bad idea, depending on who the Bills bring in as OC.

He would understand the idea of his assistants getting an interview was to help them, not to leapfrog him. They would appreciate it. He would be totally on board with it.

Didn't we interview him when he left Oakland?

what qualifies as a "minority interview" ?? does the rooney rule apply only to african-americans? what about native americans? and of course gay americans..did the NFL ever explain or expand on the rule or define "minority?.. what about women?

Edited by dwight in philly