Head Coach Candidate: Frank Reich

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their Oline was as bad as ours and no team can with a bad line, something whaley failed to recognize by letting it deteriorate and then stating that guards weren't important.

See ya Whaley, good riddance.

That's just BS. Rothlesberger, Rodgers and Luck have had some of the worst OLines in football at times and have done just fine.

They had a top 10 defense and top flight QB and put up mediocre at best numbers...when your closest comparison on offense is the Bills who set a franchise record for fewest rushing yards in a season, played 2 middling QBs in Manuel/Orton, and had as bad if not worse OLine there is no acceptable excuse for that type of offensive performance.

Frank Reich learned at the foot of the master, one Marvcus Levy. The head coach sets direction and gets the team ready. You let your assistants handle the X's and O's, but I'm sure Frank can hold his own there as well. At a minimum, he deserves an interview.

Why?Just because he's a former Bill? If Pegula starts bringing in former Bills like he did with Sabres with LaFontaine then he is just a fan like us. I would prefer Polian as President if need be and Whaley as GM. Starting over completely is wrong. Putting in a whole new FO staff sets this team back once again.

That's just BS. Rothlesberger, Rodgers and Luck have had some of the worst OLines in football at times and have done just fine.

They had a top 10 defense and top flight QB and put up mediocre at best numbers...when your closest comparison on offense is the Bills who set a franchise record for fewest rushing yards in a season, played 2 middling QBs in Manuel/Orton, and had as bad if not worse OLine there is no acceptable excuse for that type of offensive performance.

Thats exactly what I said.

I love Frank. I think hiring him as a HC would be a major mistake. I'd be fine with him as an OC, if that's the direction they want to go.

The admiration and affection people have for Frank as a person is the only reason they would like to see him as our next HC. He doesn't have the resume yet to be a HC and if it weren't for how much we all like him, nobody would be advocating for him as our next HC experiment.

Seriously. I want any poster to make a convincing argument about why Reich should even be considered for the job as Bills Head Coach. What job has he ever held. What strategy has he ever done. What system has he ever installed. What makes him qualified in any way whatsoever? He is a great guy? As a backup QB he engineered the best comeback as a player? He was known as a coach off the field to Jim Kelly?

Really.

He doesn't even run an offense. It is all Mike McCoy's. He's never been a coordinator in the real sense of the word, let alone a head coach. Why would anyone want to entrust our team to a guy with zero experience in one of the toughest jobs in the world, who has zero experience in the position and job below it?

I am not putting myself in the "hire Frank" camp at all but you yourself have begun to make an argument for him.

Our last Head Coach fancied himself far far too much as an offensive genius and more than any other single factor, that is what burned us IMO. He was stubborn in his support of Hackett which really could have been masking his true goal which was his personal control of the offense. If he had been willing to take a hands off approach and hire a real OC, like he did with DC; who knows what could have happened? One of his positive attributes seemed to be having the guys ready for Sundays. The weakness was that he immediately put half of them, the offense, in impossible positions once the ball was kicked off.

Whether Reich would succeed at HC or not, does not seem to me to depend on whether he is some sort of offensive genius. It seems to me it depends on whether he is willing to do what it takes to allow the team to succeed. Does he seem like someone who would force a philosophy on coordinators? Does he seem like someone who would listen? Does he seem like someone that would have others listen to him? Have we ever known him to have a positive impact on people? Quarterbacks? Has he displayed organizational skills? Have people said they would do ANYTHING for him? Do multiple Hall of Famers from the glory years look up to him in ways that are different than other players from that team?

Now, I think I just made an argument why Reich as a HC makes some sense. Do I think he would be the best choice? I have no idea because I'm not sure I know the answers to all of the above questions. Some of them I do, but not all. And there are more questions than that which must be asked about any HC candidate. I don't know whether he could organize a weekly program to get the best out of 53 guys on a Sunday. I don't know anything on how he would make game time decisions. I don't know if in fact he would try to control too much. Knowing what I know of him, I think there is a good possibility he could be a strong HC.

Edit: Does the fact that the OP of this thread is obsessed with Talleywhacker is the one advocating Reich worry me? You betcha.

Edited by 4merper4mer

It hasn't been easy in the past to hire a top coach who want's to be here . Maybe with a new owner and good D that will change.

If Orton had stayed as a ok backup it would be easier to hire a good HC

I don't see enough credentials for him to be the HC of this team at current time. I don't think he is what the team needs right now, but if Polian is involved in the interviewing and hiring process, we know the kind of coaches he likes, would Reich fit the profile?

It hasn't been easy in the past to hire a top coach who want's to be here . Maybe with a new owner and good D that will change.

If Orton had stayed as a ok backup it would be easier to hire a good HC

0.0% of coaches have ever or will ever base a decision on whether they would have Kyle Orton. Dime a dozen has never applied to anything better than it does to Orton.

I am not putting myself in the "hire Frank" camp at all but you yourself have begun to make an argument for him.

Our last Head Coach fancied himself far far too much as an offensive genius and more than any other single factor, that is what burned us IMO. He was stubborn in his support of Hackett which really could have been masking his true goal which was his personal control of the offense. If he had been willing to take a hands off approach and hire a real OC, like he did with DC; who knows what could have happened? One of his positive attributes seemed to be having the guys ready for Sundays. The weakness was that he immediately put half of them, the offense, in impossible positions once the ball was kicked off.

Whether Reich would succeed at HC or not, does not seem to me to depend on whether he is some sort of offensive genius. It seems to me it depends on whether he is willing to do what it takes to allow the team to succeed. Does he seem like someone who would force a philosophy on coordinators? Does he seem like someone who would listen? Does he seem like someone that would have others listen to him? Have we ever known him to have a positive impact on people? Quarterbacks? Has he displayed organizational skills? Have people said they would do ANYTHING for him? Do multiple Hall of Famers from the glory years look up to him in ways that are different than other players from that team?

Now, I think I just made an argument why Reich as a HC makes some sense. Do I think he would be the best choice? I have no idea because I'm not sure I know the answers to all of the above questions. Some of them I do, but not all. And there are more questions than that which must be asked about any HC candidate. I don't know whether he could organize a weekly program to get the best out of 53 guys on a Sunday. I don't know anything on how he would make game time decisions. I don't know if in fact he would try to control too much. Knowing what I know of him, I think there is a good possibility he could be a strong HC.

Edit: Does the fact that the OP of this thread is obsessed with Talleywhacker is the one advocating Reich worry me? You betcha.

+1

It's a good argument and I agree maybe he is the type of coach who wouldn't force his philosophy. Hard to tell though. My only problem is if he wasn't a former Bills player, would anyone be talking about him? He hasn't been linked to any other teams for a HC position only Buffalo because he used to play here.

It's a lot like the Levy at GM experiment in my mind. He was a good player but I haven't seen anything to prove or show that he would be a competent OC let alone HC.

Sorry, but you didn't. Frank is beloved for the comeback but he has only 7 years of coaching experience in the NFL, no matter how good a man or organizer he is, players would not feel secure if he is hired to lead them.

No offense to Frank, but has he been a head coach at any level of significance? I don't think he should get his training wheels off here just because he was a good guy. I'd prefer we hire someone with NFL experience as a head coach, and also a guy who has a bit of fire in him. Frank reminds me of a cerebral Mark Trestman type and I'm not sure he'd be able to handle the media and the locker room with his low key demeanor.

"

Edited by southtampacane

Credentials aren't critical, IMO. How would reich be any different than mike tomlin from an experience standpoint?

Up to his Pittsburgh hiring, he had 12 year of coaching experience, 7 years in the NFL and 5 at the College level. Some might say it's not much of difference, but that is 5 more years than Reich.