Head Coach Candidate: Frank Reich

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a real possibility as Bill Polian loves him Some Reich.

"If Polian will be part of the future, some expect the Bills to pursue Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich. “Bill loves him,” a source with knowledge of the Polian-Reich relationship told PFT."

http://profootballta...-for-the-bills/

Then again, the Pegula's just might someone with a tad more experience...

"During a midseason appearance on PFT Live, Tim Graham of the Buffalo Newssuggested that the Pegulas would pursue Bill Cowher, if/when a coaching vacancy arises. The former Steelers coach, who led the team to a Super Bowl win nine years ago, has from time to time mused about a return. Now eight years removed from the sidelines, his name rarely comes up as a viable candidate for vacant jobs."

What if Polian comes, gets Cower as HC (likely he would only stay a few years perhaps at any rate), and lures Reich to come to Buffalo from San Diego as OC?

I really doubt Reich is ready to be a HC...I mean...I love Frank Reich...But this team is ready to win now, and I'm uncertain he's ready to win yet... B-)

I'd love to lure him as an OC though. Schwartz or Cower as HC.

I like Frank Reich as much as anyone, but what exactly are his credentials for being a head coach in the NFL, at this time?

If he was not a beloved Bill from our most prolific era, would anyone even be considering him as coach at this time?

Their Oline was as bad as ours and no team can with a bad line, something whaley failed to recognize by letting it deteriorate and then stating that guards weren't important.

See ya Whaley, good riddance.

He didn't say they weren't important. He signed one in FA, drafted another one and signed other's as well. The line isn't good, but it's not for lack of bringing in players to attempt to make a line. Also Glenn and Wood regressed. Urbik and Pears were what they are, although they have played better. Just like Spiller regressed. And Goodwin. And Mike Williams couldn't get on the field because..? Just like EJ as a rookie ran around, etc., then last year played scared. Sounds like a healthy dose of coaching mis-management to me. Which is why I'm glad Marrone lost his power struggle.

Edited by purple haze

He at least had SOME HC experience at any level. Reich is as green and unqualified as they come. If Marrone wasnt worth throwing a little more money at, but they go and bring in Reich, I'll be unimpressed and pretty skeptical of this new regime.

I understand what you're saying and there's certainly an argument for wanting experience, but every coach has to start with little experience even as a head coach and there's many examples. To say Reich is unqualified isn't IMO accurate. When you've played and been around the league in a coaching capacity your qualified.

So to me a discussion can be had about experience vs someone getting an opportunity, but there's as many examples of experienced guys not working out as new one's not working out.

I understand what you're saying and there's certainly an argument for wanting experience, but every coach has to start with little experience even as a head coach and there's many examples. To say Reich is unqualified isn't IMO accurate. When you've played and been around the league in a coaching capacity your qualified.

So to me a discussion can be had about experience vs someone getting an opportunity, but there's as many examples of experienced guys not working out as new one's not working out.

Sure, Frank might be a GREAT HC. Do you want to roll the dice on that now?

Seriously. I want any poster to make a convincing argument about why Reich should even be considered for the job as Bills Head Coach. What job has he ever held. What strategy has he ever done. What system has he ever installed. What makes him qualified in any way whatsoever? He is a great guy? As a backup QB he engineered the best comeback as a player? He was known as a coach off the field to Jim Kelly?

Really.

He doesn't even run an offense. It is all Mike McCoy's. He's never been a coordinator in the real sense of the word, let alone a head coach. Why would anyone want to entrust our team to a guy with zero experience in one of the toughest jobs in the world, who has zero experience in the position and job below it?

Frank Reich learned at the foot of the master, one Marvcus Levy. The head coach sets direction and gets the team ready. You let your assistants handle the X's and O's, but I'm sure Frank can hold his own there as well. At a minimum, he deserves an interview.

What makes you think he can do that? What has he ever done that makes you believe that? He has never been in charge of anything.

Not to mention that Marv letting people do their jobs and not stepping in and demanding more is what cost the Bills all four Super Bowls.

I'm very leery of Frank Reich. He has too much of a Jauron vibe; just not animated enough, although Jauron enjoyed more success as both a coordinator and HC in the league prior to coming to Buffalo. And I echo Kelly the Dog's thoughts on his role as DC in San Diego as I question just how much input he's had in that offense.

GO BILLS!!!

Sure, Frank might be a GREAT HC. Do you want to roll the dice on that now?

Not necessarily but I think it's just as much of a roll of the dice as an experienced head coach. Obviously if it was someone like Gruden or Cowher that certainly changes because I guess we'd categorize them as experienced with huge success. But to just say I'd rather have someone that was a head coach in general over someone like Reich my answer would be not necessarily and it's still a roll of the dice.

Not necessarily but I think it's just as much of a roll of the dice as an experienced head coach. Obviously if it was someone like Gruden or Cowher that certainly changes because I guess we'd categorize them as experienced with huge success. But to just say I'd rather have someone that was a head coach in general over someone like Reich my answer would be not necessarily and it's still a roll of the dice.

But he's never really even been a coordinator. If he didnt have a huge part of the comeback, people would be saying this is by far, the stupidest idea EVER, or all the stupid ideas.