Head Coach Candidate: Frank Reich

The defensive was loaded with talented playmakers across the board and played a react instead of attack defense, which was ridiculous. IMO and many, many others, Corey was the sole reason we lost four. He should have been gone years before but Marv was too loyal to him. A decent DC on that team with Bruce and Bennett and Talley and Hansen all of the other guys who have dominated.

totally agree. Jeff Wright too small as NT in a 3-4 as well.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree that Reich may not be ready, I think there's something noteworthy that some folks are missing:

Being a HC isn't necessarily about having an Xs and Os mastery or excelling in any one area. Perhaps te most significant trait is being able to lead--and to pick the right staff.

When I look at Reich's strengths, I consider them to be communication, intelligence, and other intangibles that lend themselves to building a team.

IF he can surround himself with great assistants--and he's be halfway by keeping the defensive coaches--I think he can do the job.

If Reich is really only going to use the Marv Levy model of coaching, and is able to keep Schwartz and bring in a top notch OC and then let those two guys run their teams while he is a motivator and strategist and leader, then I am all for it. But it would have to be a really highly regarded OC and then let him do his job.

If Reich is really only going to use the Marv Levy model of coaching, and is able to keep Schwartz and bring in a top notch OC and then let those two guys run their teams while he is a motivator and strategist and leader, then I am all for it. But it would have to be a really highly regarded OC and then let him do his job.

That's one of the reasons I like the idea of Reich--I have no doubt he'd be willing to be hands-off as far as the Xs and Os are concerned.

Now as to WHO he would bring in as OC, I'm not sure. I could see a guy like AVP or Metzelaars, but that doesn't really excite me. Maybe he'd go the former HC route and try to grab a guy like Trestman, or pilfer someone like Dirk Koetter or Mark Roman who likely won't be back in his post.

Either way, the larger concern is who is going to play QB--there's only so much a staff can do to cover a deficiency there, as you well know.

That's one of the reasons I like the idea of Reich--I have no doubt he'd be willing to be hands-off as far as the Xs and Os are concerned.

Now as to WHO he would bring in as OC, I'm not sure. I could see a guy like AVP or Metzelaars, but that doesn't really excite me. Maybe he'd go the former HC route and try to grab a guy like Trestman, or pilfer someone like Dirk Koetter or Mark Roman who likely won't be back in his post.

Either way, the larger concern is who is going to play QB--there's only so much a staff can do to cover a deficiency there, as you well know.

Not an AVP or Metz. That would drive me nuts. I also think it would drive Schwartz nuts. It needs to be a top flight experienced guy and the goal is to be in the playoffs immediately. No learning on the job for an OC and a HC.

Not an AVP or Metz. That would drive me nuts. I also think it would drive Schwartz nuts. It needs to be a top flight experienced guy and the goal is to be in the playoffs immediately. No learning on the job for an OC and a HC.

Agreed. If Schwartz gets the gig, they have to bring in an experienced OC.

Ken Whisenhunt was the Chargers OC in 2013. He (perhaps) rode the coattails of Philip River's success, much like Frank Reich may be enjoying now.

Whisenhunt, who has much more experience than Frank Reich, left to be head coach of the Tennessee Titans in 2014. They finished 2 and 14.

Ken Whisenhunt was the Chargers OC in 2013. He (perhaps) rode the coattails of Philip River's success, much like Frank Reich may be enjoying now.

Whisenhunt, who has much more experience than Frank Reich, left to be head coach of the Tennessee Titans in 2014. They finished 2 and 14.

Whisenhunt would be a good counterexample when someone cites Belichick as a retread that made it big.

Whisenhunt was seconds away from being a Super Bowl champ as head coach in AZ. He's earned some praise.

Just saying that Belichick is cited as the example of retreads doing much better the 2nd time around. It doesn't have to happen that way. St. Doug could have gone to the super bowl with that Cardinals team. Warner was an all time great and that defense wasn't bad either.

Whisenhunt would be a good counterexample when someone cites Belichick as a retread that made it big.

Point being that being a successful OC for the Chargers and Phill Rivers doesn't carry much weight as an indicator for future success elsewhere.

And get Sam Bradford or Nick Foles as QB.

i wasn't disagreeing. I think most of us are on the same boat. The situation is just murky.

But if Polian did come in and hire Reich I would be on board, and why shouldn't I be? As GM he's had a combined 6 superbowl appearances and had the Panthers in the championship game in only their second year of existence. He is widely respected around the league and on his way to the HOF. If he thinks Reich is the guy who am I to argue?

My concern with Reich is whether his brand of toughness will translate as an NFL HC, where success usually depends on the players mirroring the HC's personality.

I always perceived him as man-of-God tough. That works great for self motivation. I'm not sure that can work anymore in the hedonist environment of the NFL.

Guys like Belichick, Carrol, Harbaugh....you get the impression these guys are unencumbered by perceived moral boundaries, and that matches up better with the personnel in the NFL.

Maybe I am wrong. I really don't know what Frank does as a coach and maybe he won't try to impose his spirituality on a team full of rolling eyes, but it would be a concern if he did.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

I agree.

I have no idea why this just occurred to me, but what about a guy like Jeff Tedford for OC? He never really got a chance in TB, and he's got plenty of experience calling plays and designing offensive game plans.

Just shooting from the hip here. Other names that popped into my head, aside from the guys I already mentioned:

Tony Sparano

Mike Sherman

Polian was head of pro personnel for the Bills when Reich was drafted in 1985. He didn't draft him, but presumably he had a say. In the expansion draft of 1995, Polian as GM of Carolina selected Reich from the Bills. Reich's first coaching job was an offensive assistant/qb coach for Indy in 2008, when Polian was running the show. He was promoted to QB coach when Dungy left in 2009.

Frank Reich will in all likelihood be the next coach of the Bills.

My concern with Reich is whether his brand of toughness will translate as an NFL HC, where success usually depends on the players mirroring the HC's personality.

I always perceived him as man-of-God tough. That works great for self motivation. I'm not sure that can work anymore in the hedonist environment of the NFL.

Guys like Belichick, Carrol, Harbaugh....you get the impression these guys are unencumbered by perceived moral boundaries, and that matches up better with the personnel in the NFL.

Maybe I am wrong. I really don't know what Frank does as a coach and maybe he won't try to impose his spirituality on a team full of rolling eyes, but it would be a concern if he did.

That's a noteworthy point.

I never got the sense that Frankie was a super-outspoken Christian (he and Beebe went to my church for a spell back in the 90s), so I personally am not terribly concerned. Of course, that was a cursory observation from 20+ years ago, so that's how much value anyone could place on it.

The closest I can think of to a current NFL coach that has the "quiet man of faith" aura about him is Caldwell in Detroit. He's had some success, but as far as how that relates to Reich is wide open for interpretation.