Head Coach Candidate: Frank Reich

Has done a good job where ever he has been and is suppossedly mensa so having brains come to the organization would be something new.

"I liken it to a boxing match," Reich said. "Every game is a prize fight. And over a 15-round fight, you mix the tempo. There's sometimes you go in and there's a flurry, you're aggressive and you've got somebody on the ropes. You keep your poise and go for the kill.

So I think that's very, very important -- to be able to mix the tempo. But even when you're slowing it down, there still has to be crispness to the execution, and to the play."

"Frank being in a similar-style offense both as a player and as a coach really just makes for a smooth process -- easy to make adjustments and change things on the run as we see them. He really thinks and calls plays like a quarterback. And I know I'm real comfortable with that."

The Chargers finished tops in in the NFL last season in third-down conversions (49 percent), No. 5 total yards (393.3 per game), No. 10 in giveaways (21) and No. 12 in scoring (24.8 points per game).

Reich says he's won't try and reinvent the wheel for the upcoming season. The Chargers' focus will be accentuating the playmakers on the field, figuring out innovative ways to take advantage of the offense's core strengths.

"I'm not trying to make it my offense," Reich said. "I look at it as this is our offense. And what Mike really stresses as a head coach, and him being a very successful, longtime offensive coach, is figuring out what your players do best, and that's our offense. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/5236/new-oc-reich-sets-tempo-for-bolts-offense

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a real possibility as Bill Polian loves him Some Reich.

"If Polian will be part of the future, some expect the Bills to pursue Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich. “Bill loves him,” a source with knowledge of the Polian-Reich relationship told PFT."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/31/whats-next-for-the-bills/

Then again, the Pegula's just might someone with a tad more experience...

"During a midseason appearance on PFT Live, Tim Graham of the Buffalo Newssuggested that the Pegulas would pursue Bill Cowher, if/when a coaching vacancy arises. The former Steelers coach, who led the team to a Super Bowl win nine years ago, has from time to time mused about a return. Now eight years removed from the sidelines, his name rarely comes up as a viable candidate for vacant jobs."

This is a real possibility as Bill Polian loves him Some Reich.

"If Polian will be part of the future, some expect the Bills to pursue Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich. “Bill loves him,” a source with knowledge of the Polian-Reich relationship told PFT."

http://profootballta...-for-the-bills/

Then again, the Pegula's just might someone with a tad more experience...

"During a midseason appearance on PFT Live, Tim Graham of the Buffalo Newssuggested that the Pegulas would pursue Bill Cowher, if/when a coaching vacancy arises. The former Steelers coach, who led the team to a Super Bowl win nine years ago, has from time to time mused about a return. Now eight years removed from the sidelines, his name rarely comes up as a viable candidate for vacant jobs."

Cowher is old news, Pegula needs to get off nostalgia lane and get someone new and innovative.

Serious question...why all the Reich desire? Is it just because he was a former Bill?

1 He has virtually no relevant experience to be a HC...

2 He was an OC one year and his offense wasn't very good

3 This team needs a proven leader, something Reich has yet to do

Nothing against him, but I don't get it. He could be great, but he's proven nothing...I don't want to hire a coach on a "hunch" he might be good at it because people like him. I want to hire a coach who has proven he can lead a team, make a significant impact, and command respect. Maybe as an OC, but please no as HC. Like I said, doesn't mean he will be a bad HC, but I don't want to roll the dice with a team that is this close to being playoff relevant again.

Serious question...why all the Reich desire? Is it just because he was a former Bill?

1 He has virtually no relevant experience to be a HC...

2 He was an OC one year and his offense wasn't very good

3 This team needs a proven leader, something Reich has yet to do

Nothing against him, but I don't get it. He could be great, but he's proven nothing...I don't want to hire a coach on a "hunch" he might be good at it because people like him. I want to hire a coach who has proven he can lead a team, make a significant impact, and command respect. Maybe as an OC, but please no as HC. Like I said, doesn't mean he will be a bad HC, but I don't want to roll the dice with a team that is this close to being playoff relevant again.

because Marrone was proven?

He at least had SOME HC experience at any level. Reich is as green and unqualified as they come. If Marrone wasnt worth throwing a little more money at, but they go and bring in Reich, I'll be unimpressed and pretty skeptical of this new regime.

The Chargers averaged 0.4 points and 23 more yards per game than the Bills with Phillip Rivers as their QB. If that is a good job, then I don't know what you'd call a bad job. Especially considering that was a 3.4 point and 52 point drop off from the previous season.

Marrone was a head coach for a few years. Reich is running Mike McCoy's offense. He wouldn't be ready to be a head coach if it were his own offense he's running but he's not. McCoy is the youngest coach in the league. He was hired in his 30s because he was a brilliant offensive mind. Reich runs McCoy's offense. He's not the architect of that offense, he has no experience running a team in any way.

What if Frank Wycheck was running the Chargers offense and had the exact same experience. Should we hire him?

Marrone was a head coach for a few years. Reich is running Mike McCoy's offense. He wouldn't be ready to be a head coach if it were his own offense he's running but he's not. McCoy is the youngest coach in the league. He was hired in his 30s because he was a brilliant offensive mind. Reich runs McCoy's offense. He's not the architect of that offense, he has no experience running a team in any way.

What if Frank Wycheck was running the Chargers offense and had the exact same experience. Should we hire him?

yeah Frank is clueless and has no idea how a team is run even though he played for best Bills teams ever and saw how Marv and Polian did things and continued to work in successful organizations.

Frank is a great football coach and an even better human being who reminds me of a white version of Tony Dungy. I think he would be great for our team. My only concern would be in keeping Schwartz as a DC if he's passed over and how that chemistry would work. I love Schwartz as a DC but not as HC.

No thanks. Not ready, choked away a playoff chance down the stretch with a far better QB than he'd have here. Sick of relying on the glorious past.... Let's move forward.

yes that was him on the field not making plays

Frank is a great football coach and an even better human being who reminds me of a white version of Tony Dungy. I think he would be great for our team. My only concern would be in keeping Schwartz as a DC if he's passed over and how that chemistry would work. I love Schwartz as a DC but not as HC.

Schwartz has done well but someone from the defensive staff could run this D with the talent we have.

yeah Frank is clueless and has no idea how a team is run even though he played for best Bills teams ever and saw how Marv and Polian did things and continued to work in successful organizations.

He also saw how they lost. Why not hire Emmitt Smith then? What you just said applies to 1000 players. Watching how things are done right makes you a good choice for Head Coach?