Orton Being Underappreciated Again with Bills

The story of Kyle Orton's career is he is a pretty good player, however, for some reason, nobody wants him. This trend has continued in Buffalo with Bills fans. I live in Indiana which is where Purdue University is (Orton's alma mater). My two brothers and sister-in-law went to school there when Orton was the quarterback. Because of this, I have followed his career more closely than most. Firstly, I want to dismiss the idea that I am biased toward Orton for this reason. I actually despise Purdue. I went to Indiana University out of high school and Purdue is our rival.

Orton followed Drew Brees at Purdue and was a very good college QB. However, because he followed Brees he was underappreciated even at Purdue. Orton was drafted by the Bears in the early 4th round. He started 15 games as a rookie and won 10. Yes, I know, the Bears defense was great then. However, he was a rookie, came in and made good decisions as a game manager and did what was necessary to win games. They benched him 2 games before the playoffs began in favor of Rex Grossman who was coming off injury. The Bears lost their first game in the postseason with Grossman at the helm. Orton saw zero game action the next year placed on the third string behind Grossman and Griese.

In his third year with the Bears, with three games left, he was given the starting role again finally. He went 2-1 in the final three games.

In his 4th year with the Bears, he entered the season competing against Grossman for the starting role. He won the starting role. He went 8-7 as a starter, missing one game for injury. They missed the playoffs by one game.

After this year, he was expecting to come back to the starting role he left in Chicago. He was traded to Denver for Cutler.

In his first year with Denver (2009-2010), he went 8-8 with pretty good statistics. In his 2nd year, he started 13 games. Their record was not good, however his statistics were pretty good. He had an 87.5 passer rating for the year. The Broncos coach was fired midseaon and Tebowmania began when he had a poor game late in the season. The interim coach benched Orton in favor of Tebow for the final three games. In his third year, he started poorly and the chants for Tebow immediately reached a fever pitch. He went 1-4 as starter this year with a 75.4 rating. He ended up with 49 touchdowns, 28 interceptions and almost 5,000 yards in 2.5 season with the Broncos. He was cut by the Broncos.

The Chiefs claimed him off waivers. Two other teams tried to claim him but the Chiefs had the worst record. With three games to go in the season, Orton was named the starter. In hist 1st game, he beat the then undefeated Packers in weak 15 of the NFL season. He went 2-1 as a starter for the Chiefs. The Chiefs didn't resign him.

He has been backing up Tony Romo (a yearly pro bowler) in the previous two years. In the limited time he has had to come in for Romo he has performed. Dallas knew he had value and really wanted to keep him as backup to Romo. However, clearly he did not want to stay and back up Romo.

He is now in Buffalo. He has a QB rating of 89.2 despite playing a disproportionate number of highly ranked defenses. He has over 2,300 yards and a 2-1 TD-Interception ration. Sadly, the story of Orton's career continues in Buffalo. Orton performs pretty well but is not wanted. Is he a tier one franchise QB? Of course not. However, I think Buffalo (like everywhere else) is not appreciating Orton for what he is. Orton can win in Buffalo. Don't run him out of town.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over time and as the sample size increases, I think we will see that Orton is the type to win you one, lose you one, win you one, lose you one, and so on.

It's not good enough. Though I agree he need not be "run out of town".

He's not a viable solution as a starting QB however, particularly as this stage of his career.

Over time and as the sample size increases, I think we will see that Orton is the type to win you one, lose you one, win you one, lose you one, and so on.

It's not good enough. Though I agree he need not be "run out of town".

He's not a viable solution as a starting QB however, particularly as this stage of his career.

I agree that he is not the ultimate answer at quarterback. He is not a premiere QB. He is pretty good. After going through years of JP Losman and Trent Edwards, be careful what you wish for. This guy can move the ball and distribute to playmakers at least. He's only 31. Keep him around until we legitimately have a franchise guy.

How many Bills games have you watched this year or are you just looking up stats and basing ur opinion on what you read the next day instead of actually watching him play? Orton is a classic example of what you want from a backup QB, someone who can win you a game if needed but too inconsistent to be a starter.

If Orton can win in Buffalo then why isn't he? This team is good enough to be in the playoffs but won't be and a lot of that had to do with Orton and before him EJ.

The playing a lot of top defenses excuse is just weak, there are 32 teams in the league and odds are you are going to have to play more than a couple in the top half of defenses. This isn't college.

Edited by Max997

I agree that he is not the ultimate answer at quarterback. He is not a premiere QB. He is pretty good. After going through years of JP Losman and Trent Edwards, be careful what you wish for. This guy can move the ball and distribute to playmakers at least. He's only 31. Keep him around until we legitimately have a franchise guy.

Well said.

People on here have delusional expectations of our QBs. Orton is a competent QB. Yeah, he will make mistakes, but not as many as Fitz did, and he throws the ball down field and with a lot of accuracy.

How many Bills games have you watched this year or are you just looking up stats and basing ur opinion on what you read the next day instead of actually watching him play.

If Orton can win in Buffalo then why isn't he? This team is good enough to be in the playoffs but won't be and a lot of that had to do with Orton and before him EJ.

The playing a lot of top defenses excuse is just weak, there are 32 teams in the league and odds are you are going to have to play more than a couple in the top half of defenses. This isn't college.

Firstly, to answer your question, I have watched every game and every play of the year. Secondly, he is winning in Buffalo. He's 5-4. Name the last Bills QB who had a record over .500.

Thirdly, he heas faced far more than his share of top defenses. No this is not a weak excuse. These are the defenses he's faced and their corresponding defensive rank.

#2 - Lions

#4 - Broncos

#6 - Miami

#7 - New York

#8 - Kansas City

#12 - Minnesota

#13 - New England

#20 - Cleveland

That is freaking brutal.

I think that takes care of all your points.

The big problem is what you wrote in your signature about Fred Jackson: He is the epitome of a true Bill; giving his all every game through losing years.

What should truly epitomize our football team is that we have great winners, not great losers. If Kyle Orton was anything more than a warm body, he needed to win the KC and Miami games (especially KC, which was in his grasp with one decent throw to an open receiver in the end zone.)

In fact, Orton came just as close to beating KC this year as Tuel did last year. Chew on that for a while (while considering that last year's KC game was a nice-to-have while this year's was a must-have)

You get the QB some protection schemes that work against these great defences . I don't get the fuss is about Offence Linemen Offence Lineman That's what ya need. Woods was pushed into backfield several times I don't get it. Rodgers an most these guys you talk about that are good. They are!! Because the line blocks and keep players away!!! Put AR, TB, PM, Drew Bree's behind that line we have Would get ugly for them fast. Our First 3 picks Should be LG RG RT or Tight End Draft all Offence. My biggest fear Ortin gets hurt ej comes in cold gets hurt shm They need protection at least 4 secs.

Kyle takes pretty good care of the ball, I gotta give him that, the four INTs in the last two games notwithstanding.

But we need better play out of him. Period. He leaves too many plays on the field.

Take away the two Jest games and he's pedestrian, at best. Any statistical analysis supports this (it's eye popping), but you don't need them when you watch the games and review the All 22.

GO BILLS!!!

Here's what I'll say: a) Orton is not a longterm answer. b) Orton is as good of a backup QB as you could possibly hope for. c) Orton is a top 32 QB in the world so a guy like him is going to keep getting his shots- he'll always be better than what some teams have but he'll never really be seen as a longterm solution. d) I think one thing that Bills fans are kind of naïve about is that they'll look at Orton's stats and say "yeah, well, but..." but then they'll take another QB with nearly identical stats and blindly talk about how they're obviously a better QB even though they don't watch that other QB play every game, when that other QB frustrates their fanbase just as much as a guy like Orton frustrates us. The truth of the matter is that Orton is what his stats say he is and so is every other QB.

Orton>Fitz>everyone else we can get. Fixed.

Thank you.

Fitz had moxie. Swagger. Pride. He put it all on the line. If we had kept him here we would have won a game or maybe two more this year.

I am not a Fitz hater. The man did put it on the line. However, he threw a lot of picks too. He also had a weaker arm and had to do the longest wind up in the NFL to make up for it. His size hurt him as well. Orton has nearly prototypical size at 6' 4" 230. I'll take Orton.

The story of Kyle Orton's career is he is a pretty good player, however, for some reason, nobody wants him. This trend has continued in Buffalo with Bills fans. I live in Indiana which is where Purdue University is (Orton's alma mater). My two brothers and sister-in-law went to school there when Orton was the quarterback. Because of this, I have followed his career more closely than most. Firstly, I want to dismiss the idea that I am biased toward Orton for this reason. I actually despise Purdue. I went to Indiana University out of high school and Purdue is our rival.

Orton followed Drew Brees at Purdue and was a very good college QB. However, because he followed Brees he was underappreciated even at Purdue. Orton was drafted by the Bears in the early 4th round. He started 15 games as a rookie and won 10. Yes, I know, the Bears defense was great then. However, he was a rookie, came in and made good decisions as a game manager and did what was necessary to win games. They benched him 2 games before the playoffs began in favor of Rex Grossman who was coming off injury. The Bears lost their first game in the postseason with Grossman at the helm. Orton saw zero game action the next year placed on the third string behind Grossman and Griese.

In his third year with the Bears, with three games left, he was given the starting role again finally. He went 2-1 in the final three games.

In his 4th year with the Bears, he entered the season competing against Grossman for the starting role. He won the starting role. He went 8-7 as a starter, missing one game for injury. They missed the playoffs by one game.

After this year, he was expecting to come back to the starting role he left in Chicago. He was traded to Denver for Cutler.

In his first year with Denver (2009-2010), he went 8-8 with pretty good statistics. In his 2nd year, he started 13 games. Their record was not good, however his statistics were pretty good. He had an 87.5 passer rating for the year. The Broncos coach was fired midseaon and Tebowmania began when he had a poor game late in the season. The interim coach benched Orton in favor of Tebow for the final three games. In his third year, he started poorly and the chants for Tebow immediately reached a fever pitch. He went 1-4 as starter this year with a 75.4 rating. He ended up with 49 touchdowns, 28 interceptions and almost 5,000 yards in 2.5 season with the Broncos. He was cut by the Broncos.

The Chiefs claimed him off waivers. Two other teams tried to claim him but the Chiefs had the worst record. With three games to go in the season, Orton was named the starter. In hist 1st game, he beat the then undefeated Packers in weak 15 of the NFL season. He went 2-1 as a starter for the Chiefs. The Chiefs didn't resign him.

He has been backing up Tony Romo (a yearly pro bowler) in the previous two years. In the limited time he has had to come in for Romo he has performed. Dallas knew he had value and really wanted to keep him as backup to Romo. However, clearly he did not want to stay and back up Romo.

He is now in Buffalo. He has a QB rating of 89.2 despite playing a disproportionate number of highly ranked defenses. He has over 2,300 yards and a 2-1 TD-Interception ration. Sadly, the story of Orton's career continues in Buffalo. Orton performs pretty well but is not wanted. Is he a tier one franchise QB? Of course not. However, I think Buffalo (like everywhere else) is not appreciating Orton for what he is. Orton can win in Buffalo. Don't run him out of town.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

he just needs more time with this offense and players and friggin running game.

Kyle takes pretty good care of the ball, I gotta give him that, the four INTs in the last two games notwithstanding.

But we need better play out of him. Period. He leaves too many plays on the field.

Take away the two Jest games and he's pedestrian, at best. Any statistical analysis supports this (it's eye popping), but you don't need them when you watch the games and review the All 22.

GO BILLS!!!

LOL... As McEnroe would say "You can't be serious". He served up one of the worst pick-six throws of the entire NFL season against Detroit. The red-zone INT against Denver was a terrible read and a throw with no chance to be completed except to a Denver DB. Take away the Jets games and he is awful.

LOL... As McEnroe would say "You can't be serious". He served up one of the worst pick-six throws of the entire NFL season against Detroit. The red-zone INT against Denver was a terrible read and a throw with no chance to be completed except to a Denver DB. Take away the Jets games and he is awful.

2:1 TD/INT ratio and a low % of INTs overall. That's not a bad job of ball security. I never maintained he didn't have INTs. And I already made the point about the Jest stats skewing his overall.

GO BILLS!!!

When he slid short of 1st down on 4th and 1(and gave up) I would have benched him immediately and then cut him next day.

The play at QB is where this team is currently bottlenecked. It's the team's biggest limitation. All QBs regardless of scheme revert to the mean once one is established. After about 40 starts, you will tend to know what you have. It is almost impossible to wait that long in todays NFL if your QB struggles or is injured for any length of time. Whaley has his work cut out for him heading into the offseason.

Edited by RealityCheck

Actually the universe is in synch.. Orton is the Buffalo QB because like Buffalo he is a mediocre commodity that plinks and padunks it's way through season after season...He IS Buffalo and Buffalo is HIM praise the lord and pass the chew!

Wide Right and Butt slide to 4th down!!!!

I frankly do not see a better option for this next year......

We REALLY need to get our OL fixed from OG to OG and get a legit TE for him to throw to

You're right. With a legit OL he might only slide a foot short of the first down.

I'd rather have Fitzy back at this point. From a distance I would have agreed with you over the course of Orton's career, but having seen him up close this season, there are simply too many flaws in his game to mask, and not enough desire to overcome it.

If the running game were clicking better - and not habitually abandoned by the OC as it was last week - Orton *could have* proven a capable enough game manager. They're asking him to throw 40+ passes and that is lunacy.

Liked Fitz, but when the game was on the line, he'd turn it over one way or another. Is what it is.

At the time it was the only chance we had. We didn't have WR's worth a darn. SJ13 and Chandler were good but not good enough. We couldn't keep going for home runs on the ground because our RB's could only do so much. Spiller was only good to run and Jackson had to be in there to block.

We put too much on Fitz.

I have never said this before.."Worst post ever".