Global warming err Climate change HOAX

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/31/2023 at 9:27 AM, Precision said:

Glad it has been a good vehicle for you!  

I did not realize that Tesla would cancel service requests they deemed frivolous.  I'm not sure how I feel about this, but it is certainly different from my experience in servicing my vehicles.  I think the issue in the linked article was that Tesla indicated to owners that they had performed "remote diagnostics" on the vehicle when they had not.  I could see why Tesla would consider this frivolous but as an owner I would be upset at being misled regarding the diagnostics not being performed.

I don't think you understood the point I was trying to make regarding range.  At hot and cold temperatures your car will have less range due to the reduced energy storage of the batteries.  This is regardless of how or if you use the HVAC/stereo/wipers/lights/etc.  This loss of range is not fed back to the driver until late in the process of driving, not until the battery hits 50% of its stored energy.  As an example, your car at an outside temperature of 32F will indicate 315 miles of range at startup even though it is impossible for it to exceed 250 miles.  

image.thumb.png.e6bf2a767abb336d5595e5ee8ac638b2.png

Referencing the graph, temperatures in the single digits can drop range by 50%.  This is certainly an issue for some drivers and is potentially a safety issue depending on your location/distance between charging stations. 

Adjusting the "potential range" (which as you indicated is likely even less) based on the energy stored in the batteries (which correlates with outside temperature) is the responsible path that Tesla should have taken rather than just indicating the possible range under ideal circumstances.  This large variance in range without informing the driver would certainly initiate a recall in an ICE vehicle. 

Do other EVs do something different?

On 7/31/2023 at 10:51 AM, Orlando Tim said:

I have a friend who rents a Tesla out on Turo and he has found the demand for one has dropped drastically over the past two years, and his other vehicles are renting better. He is not sure why but in 2021 it was his best profit maker vehicle, and now it is not even average- he has a total of 8 vehicles between him and his in-laws.

It's largely because Elon bought Twitter.  I was working with an eye surgeon who would ask me about my Tesla (I've had it since 2017) and how he was thinking of getting one.  Last time I worked with him he asked me about it and said "I'd like to get one but I hate Elon Musk."  I laughed. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Do other EVs do something different?

It's largely because Elon bought Twitter.  I was working with an eye surgeon who would ask me about my Tesla (I've had it since 2017) and how he was thinking of getting one.  Last time I worked with him he asked me about it and said "I'd like to get one but I hate Elon Musk."  I laughed. 

Since I drive an Audi, below is a link from 6/22 that applies to all of their EV/e-tron models.  I could dig through other manufacturers for similar information but don't have time.

An ideal basis for planning: Range display in Audi electric cars gives a reliable picture

Consumption history, outside temperature, and other parameters make for a realistic calculation.  

Predictive, reliable, and dynamic: Audi e-tron models give drivers the choice between two different options to calculate the range, one with and one without the route planner as part of the Audi Multi Media Interface (Audi MMI). Without the technical support of the satnav and the route planner, the calculation of the remaining range rests on recent consumption values. The system also reflects driver-specific properties, such as an especially sporty or economical driving style. Isolated special factors, such as energy-intensive passing maneuvers, are reliably averaged out, ensuring a realistic calculation.

In addition to consumption data from the drive and onboard power systems, the car’s distribution point and electrical nervous system, remaining range calculation also factors in thermal management data (heating or AC) or the use of additional comfort features such as seat or steering wheel heating. Also considered are the selected driving mode, individual car configuration, load, and climactic conditions. In this way, the range display represents the most recent consumption data and projects them into the future, without additional data from the route planer.

The above sounds complicated but it is not.  There is a circuit in the vehicle that senses the current draw from the battery.  Audi is taking the starting charge (which they calculate from prior usage, last charge and outside temperature) and then factor in the rate of miles traveled versus current used.  They update the projected range "real time" as even with numerous variables a weighted average calculation of current used per mile is simple.

• Like (+1) 1

Green Policies and Government Incompetence Led to the Tragedy of the Maui Fire

by Clarice Feldman

As many as 1000 persons, many of them children, may have died as a result of the fire in Maui. The exact toll -- above the hundreds documented -- is difficult to assess right now as the bodies are charred beyond recognition and scientific equipment to test the remains are not readily available, but the tragedy -- naturally and without basis -- is being blamed on "climate change” in many of the media accounts. In fact, these people died as human sacrifices to green policies, legislative and corporate missteps, and administrative incompetence. The citizens of Hawaii, a solidly Democratic one-party state, are learning what those of similarly governed urban centers are learning: elect incompetents who forget their first duty is to protect their constituents and you will suffer.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2023/08/green_policies_and_government_incompetence_led_to_the_tragedy_of_the_maui_fire.html

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Hoax, nothing to see here.  Flooding coming to a desert near you

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/21/1195032403/hilary-california-flooding-storm-monday

Forty percent of the world's oceans are experiencing heat waves right now, according to federal researchers, in part due to a natural climate pattern called El Nino and human-caused climate change.

Part of the ocean that Hurricane Hilary formed over is around Baja California, Mexico, in the Pacific. Temperature anomalies there are part of what's been fueling this storm, says UCLA climate scientist Daniel Swain.

"The ocean temperatures off the coast of Baja California are much warmer than usual right now," Swain says. "As much as 3 to 6 Fahrenheit — that's a pretty significant increment of additional hurricane fuel."

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Eyeroll 1

Y'know, I was watching a bunch of ants eat a potato chip that dropped on the ground at a picnic over the weekend and it occured to me. Mother earth really knows how to clean up a mess, she knows what she's doing 

Hoax that 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/21/1195032403/hilary-california-flooding-storm-monday

Forty percent of the world's oceans are experiencing heat waves right now, according to federal researchers, in part due to a natural climate pattern called El Nino and human-caused climate change.

Part of the ocean that Hurricane Hilary formed over is around Baja California, Mexico, in the Pacific. Temperature anomalies there are part of what's been fueling this storm, says UCLA climate scientist Daniel Swain.

"The ocean temperatures off the coast of Baja California are much warmer than usual right now," Swain says. "As much as 3 to 6 Fahrenheit — that's a pretty significant increment of additional hurricane fuel."

It is interesting we have not had a category one hurricane come at us in my lifetime here in Riverside

Meanwhile, my daughter lives further upstate close to Oregon and they’re having a huge fire problem

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TSOL said:

In that very region they are getting lithium from Hydro drilling in the Salton Sea area.  creating deserts and micro swarms.

21 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Now what? Is it unusual for a tropical storm to come up the west coastline? Yes it is…..but it isn’t the first time. The last one was eighty years ago….long before global warming was even being discussed. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, TSOL said:

Y'know, I was watching a bunch of ants eat a potato chip that dropped on the ground at a picnic over the weekend and it occured to me. Mother earth really knows how to clean up a mess, she knows what she's doing 

Hoax that 

She does until we start ***** with her, which we have been doing for centuries

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

She does until we start ***** with her, which we have been doing for centuries

You miss my point but it's ok 

23 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

In that very region they are getting lithium from Hydro drilling in the Salton Sea area.  creating deserts and micro swarms.

It's just not sustainable on a mass scale

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Do you believe that Hurricanes are caused by  climate change?

8 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

The question should be do you believe human activity is primarily responsible for climate change? 

(Taking the quote from Joe's post): "The ocean temperatures off the coast of Baja California are much warmer than usual right now," Swain says. "As much as 3 to 6 Fahrenheit — that's a pretty significant increment of additional hurricane fuel." 

The part that's provable is hurricanes use warm ocean temperatures to gain strength.  Observations and measurements support that.

The problem is the other part of that assessment, warmer than usual, is made using ocean temperature readings of around 100 years or maybe a lot less.  How do you know what the average ocean temperature, or in the example, warmer than usual, has been over a more extended course of time, say 100,000 years or a 100 million years?  Is it higher, lower, the same?  Maybe relatively speaking current ocean temperatures are lower than that average, or maybe higher?  Nobody has any clue for certain what "normal" climate conditions have been over the course of geological time.  These climatologists might be right about things or they might just be pissing into the wind with their eyes closed.     

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

Know nothing about meteorology and little about climate science.  But ocean temps in the 90's can't be good in many ways.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It is interesting we have not had a category one hurricane come at us in my lifetime here in Riverside

Meanwhile, my daughter lives further upstate close to Oregon and they’re having a huge fire problem

I lived thru one big hurricane in Louisiana as a kid.  Pretty damn scary.  A tornado came thru here about 10 years ago and that was even more scary.  Very unusual for the mountains.  Sounded like a freight train going by.

15 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Know nothing about meteorology and little about climate science.  But ocean temps in the 90's can't be good in many ways.

I lived thru one big hurricane in Louisiana as a kid.  Pretty damn scary.  A tornado came thru here about 10 years ago and that was even more scary.  Very unusual for the mountains.  Sounded like a freight train going by.

Top 5 worst hurricanes to hit Virginia

1. Hurricane Isabel (2003)

2. Hurricane Camille (1969) Camille is known as the deadliest natural disaster in state history. (Nelson County Museum of History) Camille is known as the deadliest natural disaster in state history. ...

3. Hurricane Agnes (1972) Agnes is known for producing the worst river flooding the River City has ever seen. (Library of Virginia) ...

4. Hurricane Gaston (2004) ...

5. Hurricane Hazel (1954) ..

Take precautions, certainly,

but ignore the doomsayers.

Hurricane Season Means A Surge In Category 5 Climate Lies

Issues & Insights, by The Editorial Board

We’re about half way through the 2023 hurricane season, predicted by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecasters to be a near-normal year, and it’s been rather quiet. But with a few storms brewing this week in the Atlantic, we expect to hear the usual shrieking from politicians, activists and the media, blaming the weather on man-caused climate change. Our suggestion is to pay no attention to the eco-screamers’ lamentations. On Sunday, the National Hurricane Center issued advisories for a hurricane and a tropical storm in the Atlantic Ocean, and an advisory for a tropical storm in the Eastern Pacific.

https://issuesinsights.com/2023/08/29/hurricane-season-means-a-surge-in-category-5-climate-lies/

• Like (+1) 1

THE “SCIENCE” IS SETTLED, AND IT WAS SETTLED BEFORE THE ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN: 

Climate scientist: Yes, I cooked my Nature article on global warming — and here’s why. 

“Feeding the narrative? Check. 

Editorial bias? Check. 

Top-down political influence on science? Double check. 

Bloated Academia competing too hard for too few dollars and openings? Check, at least to a degree.

Ironically, that makes the Academia-Media nexus the least interesting part of Brown’s essay, but it’s still plenty interesting — and important, too.”

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2023/09/05/climate-scientist-yes-i-cooked-my-nature-article-on-global-warming-and-heres-why-n575844#google_vignette

Then people wonder why the public doesn’t trust the institutions whose members brag about manipulating things.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 12:30 PM, B-Man said:

THE “SCIENCE” IS SETTLED, AND IT WAS SETTLED BEFORE THE ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN: 

Climate scientist: Yes, I cooked my Nature article on global warming — and here’s why. 

“Feeding the narrative? Check. 

Editorial bias? Check. 

Top-down political influence on science? Double check. 

Bloated Academia competing too hard for too few dollars and openings? Check, at least to a degree.

Ironically, that makes the Academia-Media nexus the least interesting part of Brown’s essay, but it’s still plenty interesting — and important, too.”

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2023/09/05/climate-scientist-yes-i-cooked-my-nature-article-on-global-warming-and-heres-why-n575844#google_vignette

Then people wonder why the public doesn’t trust the institutions whose members brag about manipulating things.

Sour grapes.  He's out of Academia and he say the paper was accurate.  What's he complaining about x perhaps a much less prestigious job at a "nonprofit" - far right perhaps?  From your cited article:

Brown still stands behind that paper, although he has since left his job in Academia for a non-profit where he can speak and act more freely. In the narrow confines of his paper, limited to only climate change, he writes that his paper remains accurate and useful. But because the media and Academia establishments are now limiting all discussion of practically any natural phenomena to “climate change,” much of the causes of wildfires remains undiscussed — and so, therefore, do any practical policies that would mitigate them.  

Not undisclosed. discussed plenty...

where he works now, breakthrough.org's in their "about" page:

Humanity has made extraordinary progress over the past several centuries. While modernization has had both positive and negative impacts, and the benefits of development have not been equally distributed nor enjoyed by everyone, on the whole human beings live longer, freer, healthier, more prosperous, and more secure lives than our ancestors did.

"There is no guarantee that these trends will continue. But by embracing technology and accelerating modernization for all people, we believe humanity and nature can both thrive for centuries to come."   How very reassuring... How's that for supporting corporate America?

He must be deeply disappointed in his current career path with this CV:

https://patricktbrown.org/about/

and this about the article discussed in B man's rag citation:

https://patricktbrown.org/2023/09/12/correcting-the-record-regarding-my-essay-in-the-free-press/

"Much of the public criticism revolves around highly misleading (and in some cases patently false) claims about the research approach that I took in designing the study and what then transpired during the peer review process. One outlet falsely stated that I manipulated data"

do some research before you post @B-Man.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Sour grapes.  He's out of Academia and he say the paper was accurate.  What's he complaining about x perhaps a much less prestigious job at a "nonprofit" - far right perhaps?  From your cited article:

Brown still stands behind that paper, although he has since left his job in Academia for a non-profit where he can speak and act more freely. In the narrow confines of his paper, limited to only climate change, he writes that his paper remains accurate and useful. But because the media and Academia establishments are now limiting all discussion of practically any natural phenomena to “climate change,” much of the causes of wildfires remains undiscussed — and so, therefore, do any practical policies that would mitigate them.  

Not undisclosed. discussed plenty...

where he works now, breakthrough.org's in their "about" page:

Humanity has made extraordinary progress over the past several centuries. While modernization has had both positive and negative impacts, and the benefits of development have not been equally distributed nor enjoyed by everyone, on the whole human beings live longer, freer, healthier, more prosperous, and more secure lives than our ancestors did.

"There is no guarantee that these trends will continue. But by embracing technology and accelerating modernization for all people, we believe humanity and nature can both thrive for centuries to come."   How very reassuring... How's that for supporting corporate America?

He must be deeply disappointed in his current career path with this CV:

https://patricktbrown.org/about/

and this about the article discussed in B man's rag citation:

https://patricktbrown.org/2023/09/12/correcting-the-record-regarding-my-essay-in-the-free-press/

"Much of the public criticism revolves around highly misleading (and in some cases patently false) claims about the research approach that I took in designing the study and what then transpired during the peer review process. One outlet falsely stated that I manipulated data"

do some research before you post @B-Man.

The problem with making decisions based on climate models is the limited duration of the data sets.  The  Earth has been going through cycles of warming and cooling for hundreds of millions of years and we're making big policy decisions based on a partial set of data observations of maybe 150 years.  Along with this past models have been terrible at predicting the future.  You have zero accurate temperature readings from previous time.  Only subjective understanding of warmer or colder.  Pronouncements that we have 12 years until the end of humanity embellish the urgency. 

Yesterday, climate activists were demonstrating at the UN demanding an end to the use of oil.  What's comical is they were mostly dressed in windbreakers and rain gear composed of materials derived from petrochemicals.  I don't think these people have an comprehension of what the world they're demanding would look like and the implications of switching to more expensive, less efficient, and less reliable sources of electricity generation and the elimination of certain materials which I assume will be replaced by something to be identified. 

5 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The problem with making decisions based on climate models is the limited duration of the data sets.  The  Earth has been going through cycles of warming and cooling for hundreds of millions of years and we're making big policy decisions based on a partial set of data observations of maybe 150 years.  Along with this past models have been terrible at predicting the future.  You have zero accurate temperature readings from previous time.  Only subjective understanding of warmer or colder.  Pronouncements that we have 12 years until the end of humanity embellish the urgency

We have documentation of severe weather events for centuries.  There's even one in the Old Testament about a symbolic flood while Noah was like 300 years old.....  I'm not informed enough to say definitively that the prevalence and severity of the current events surpass those of other centuries but I suspect they do.  btw, Pompeii is one of the most amazing places in that regard. That disaster was Not of human origin however

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

We have documentation of severe weather events for centuries.  There's even one in the Old Testament about a symbolic flood while Noah was like 300 years old.....  I'm not informed enough to say definitively that the prevalence and severity of the current events surpass those of other centuries but I suspect they do.  btw, Pompeii is one of the most amazing places in that regard. That disaster was Not of human origin however

You like to argue a point and then state you don't know enough to actually argue from an intelligent standpoint, which is basically just saying you should not argue the situation at all.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

You like to argue a point and then state you don't know enough to actually argue from an intelligent standpoint, which is basically just saying you should not argue the situation at all.

Pompeii is very cool.  The Ark is fiction.  Noah didn't live 950 years.  Earth is older than 10,000 years.   Evolution really happens. These are things I'm confident in.

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Hoax? Tell that to the insurance companies 

Exactly.

And if socialists like DeSantis weren't afraid to just let the market work, it would cost even more to insure property in coastal Florida.

Hey, Ronnie, shouldn't we also eliminate that government-run socialist National Flood Insurance Program?

• Like (+1) 2