byrd rated as biggest free agent flop on NFL.com

justnzane

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was anyone on TBD against letting Byrd go? I feel like there was pretty overwhelming support for the decision not to offer him big money. Given his position and the fact that he's vastly overrated, Byrd is worth about half of what he received from NO.

I definitely wanted management to re-sign him, but when I not at what the Saints offered. I did feel he earned being paid as one of the top safety's in the league though.

At what point do teams just stop dealing with Eugene Parker? The guy is never interested in a "win-win", he's only interested in getting his client (and himself) a deal that will be instantly regretted by the team who signed him.

A bad contract can be a career killer, and that's what may have happened here with Byrd. It won't matter how good he plays. He will have to play WAY better than he ever has to justify that contract. Byrd will wake up one day and realize that he had a pretty good thing in Buffalo. That extra $1.5 million per year may end up costing him a lot more than he thought he gained.

I was thrilled when I saw that Dez Bryant fired Parker. It will be great to watch what Jay-Z's agency can do for him. I bet he signs a fair deal (still a LOT) and then makes boatloads in endorsements.

The fans in Dallas probably feel the same way about Kyle Orton as we do about Byrd. Orton was on their team, then he wasn't, and another team scarfed him up and paid him big bucks but no compensation to the losing franchise. Orton worked the system as a good progressive would approve of, for once showing how labor can beat management in contract negotiations, then signing on where he wanted to work. Byrd worked the system by faking his plantar fascitus or whatever the invisible, undetectable, convenient injury is called. He didn't get injured during the games he stabbed his teammates in the back while not playing, and when he did play enough games for the season to count toward his benefits, he still made it clear to management that no offer was going to be good enough. Or Parker did. The threat of another plantar flareup was enough to keep the Bills from tagging him. Anyway, I would trade Byrd for Orton in a heartbeat, so as things balance out, we came out ahead.

Eugene Parker is a prick, straight up

Byrd was great his rookie year and really good yr 3 but the guy could definitely sniff out the ball. He became a complete asshat when his contract came up and his "injuries" were amateurish. Searcy is one of the top cover safeties right now and he just quietly goes about his business game in and game out. Oh BTW it's a contract year for him, do the Bills sign him?

The fans in Dallas probably feel the same way about Kyle Orton as we do about Byrd. Orton was on their team, then he wasn't, and another team scarfed him up and paid him big bucks but no compensation to the losing franchise. Orton worked the system as a good progressive would approve of, for once showing how labor can beat management in contract negotiations, then signing on where he wanted to work. Byrd worked the system by faking his plantar fascitus or whatever the invisible, undetectable, convenient injury is called. He didn't get injured during the games he stabbed his teammates in the back while not playing, and when he did play enough games for the season to count toward his benefits, he still made it clear to management that no offer was going to be good enough. Or Parker did. The threat of another plantar flareup was enough to keep the Bills from tagging him. Anyway, I would trade Byrd for Orton in a heartbeat, so as things balance out, we came out ahead.

> his plantar fascitus or whatever the invisible, undetectable, convenient injury is called

Personally, I think it was a case of bumblefoot. From Wikipedia:

Bumblefoot (ulcerative pododermatitis) is a bacterial infection and inflammatory reaction on the feet of birds and rodents.

> The threat of another plantar flareup was enough to keep the Bills from tagging him.

The Bills should have tagged him, and then immediately traded him to the Saints, or to whichever other team was most willing to part with draft picks. Any draft pick would have been better than no draft pick.

Of course, he could have refused to sign the offer, in which case he would have sat out the year. The Bills would have been no worse off in that scenario than they would have been had they let him fly the coop.

^^^^this

We did that the year before and he was fine at the end of the previous season. Then he got boo-boos on the bottom of his feet at the start of training camp (funny, but not during the summer off) wanted a TON more money and "held out"- just starting to play several games into the year. Reading between the lines, I thought it was clear that the injury was phony or minimal and he was (without saying for the record and lawsuit) that he would do the same thing again. Toxic.

Was anyone on TBD against letting Byrd go? I feel like there was pretty overwhelming support for the decision not to offer him big money. Given his position and the fact that he's vastly overrated, Byrd is worth about half of what he received from NO.

You're kidding right? There were dozens of people on this site railing against why we let Byrd go. I for one said that NO paid too much for him and you should have seen some of the responses I got. You'd have thought I committed a murder or something. Byrd is a good player, no doubt, but he wasn't worth what NO gave him. I said it then and I'll say it now. Even if he had performed up to expectations he wasn't worth the money we would have had to give him.

I wanted to tag and trade him. Still a little perplexed at how we got nothing for him.

Exactly. Like Lev, letting him go was the right move. But not tagging and trading him and not getting ANYTHING in return was the problem. With Lev, it was not going out and getting a viable replacement. It is not just about letting expensive FAs go, but the details.

Edited by simpleman

You're kidding right? There were dozens of people on this site railing against why we let Byrd go.

I am definitely not ashamed to say that I was one of those wanting to retain him BUT at a reasonable price. If memory serves me correctly, I had pegged his value at 6-7 MM per year all in. I think the fact that he got injured or that he did not have enough playing time in the D to get his bearings does not change the fact that he was a good safety and one that we could have kept intact. Levitre and Byrd are ones I wanted the Bills to keep despite the opinions regarding their post-Bills careers. Both players made the Bills better. Just not at the price they got in the open market.

Eugene Parker is a prick, straight up

I can flip that argument around and say that he is great for his clients. He hyped up and negotiated his way to a huge contract for Byrd. Well maybe not all his clients, but he certainly gets top dollar for his highly prized free agents.

Exactly. Like Lev, letting him go was the right move. But not tagging and trading him and not getting ANYTHING in return was the problem. With Lev, it was not going out and getting a viable replacement. It is not just about letting expensive FAs go, but the details.

Why would you give anything for a player in the last year of his deal who has been notorious in contract negotiations?

Byrd could have been traded for a draft pick while under contract when he would not extend. Hope the FO doesn't make a costly mistake like this again.

No one would trade for a player that is ready to walk. The Bills tried. Other teams in the same boat try. Rarely does anyone bite because a team would be stupid to trade for a player they can't sign. And if they can sign him, why trade for him? Just wait till he's a free man.

No one would trade for a player that is ready to walk. The Bills tried. Other teams in the same boat try. Rarely does anyone bite because a team would be stupid to trade for a player they can't sign. And if they can sign him, why trade for him? Just wait till he's a free man.

And then we're stuck paying him earl Thomas money for another year, when there's no way he's as good, and he has an injury history

Why would you give anything for a player in the last year of his deal who has been notorious in contract negotiations?

If you are in a win now mode and looking for a hired gun who you believe can put you over the top and get you a win that year, you do. And Byrd had that potential for the right team. If a team is in the win now mode, rather than the building for the future mode, he would have been a great choice.

So you don't think teams who believe they are just a player or two from winning and are in the "Win Now" mode would never want a one season hired gun? A team like a Denver with a Manning who won't be there very much longer, would not spend on a hired gun before their "win it all window" is passed?Do you really think that the first year or two after Manning retires that Denver will still be at the top challenging for the Super Bowl and an expensive FA contract will still make sense for them, for example? And do you think that when Denver signed Manning, they were thinking he would be there 4 or 5 years later. He was signed to immediately "win now", not to build for the future.

Edited by simpleman

So you don't think teams who believe they are just a player or two from winning and are in the "Win Now" mode would never want a one season hired gun? A team like a Denver with a Manning who won't be there very much longer, would not spend on a hired gun before their "win it all window" is passed?

That happens in hockey. Not so much in the NFL.

So you don't think teams who believe they are just a player or two from winning and are in the "Win Now" mode would never want a one season hired gun? A team like a Denver with a Manning who won't be there very much longer, would not spend on a hired gun before their "win it all window" is passed?

Clearly not. Or else he would have been traded, right?

And if they can pay enough to sign him, why trade for Byrd?? Just wait out his deal, obviously.

i know trades arent terribly common in the nfl, but at that point you could argue why trade for just about anyone. without looking id venture a good number of trades happen with guys that would otherwise be on their way out the door. by trading you get to make sure that you get him, unless you think you are the only team in the league that has interest and can afford him.

Clearly not. Or else he would have been traded, right?

in theory, sure. but we really dont know. i recall rumors that we had received offers of mid/late rounders leading into 2013 but it sounds like we decided to "let him fly and hope he returned to us." not trying to hammer anyone on this, just saying that its hard to speak with any certainty on what happened.

Well lets be fair here, he got hurt.

I wanted to keep him, but not at the price it was going to take. You don't pay safeties that kind of money unless they are in the league of a Troy, Lott, Reed, etc and Byrd isn't that guy. Its like when we didn't resign an offensive guard to a ridiculous contract just because he could get that money from Tenn.

I still think NO paid way too much, but I do think its a little unfair to label it a complete bust given he got hurt which can happen to anyone...although Byrd does seem to be dinged up a lot.

I was ok with Byrd leaving because I really like Aaron Williams. He's several years younger, more physically gifted, and was signed for much, much less.

I still maintain that had we kept Byrd, he and Williams would have been the best safety tandem in the league.

Without looking it up, I am pretty sure Byrd is the younger player. We drafted AW a year or two before Byrd...but I admittedly didn't look it up and could be wrong.

But he isnt making it from the bills.....that is the point..AND the Saints had to cut a lot of players to make room for that salary

i cant say enough times that i think its a little overstated how much they cut.

Will smith was a good portion of it and he isnt even in the league anymore.

then it was 2 safeties that were replaced by vaccaro last year and byrd this year.

their 3rd WR who is 31 years old....but they drafted a #1 wr that would have shifted moore even further back

and sproles who in a way was losing his job to cooks/khiry robinson in the pass/run games.

ill take an argument that they might have passed on other opportunities but i dont know that any of those guys were on the saints 2014 roster even without byrd. you probably see them add a mid tier vet safety and maybe another roleplayer in the defense if the signing had fallen apart.

Edited by NoSaint

He's been hurt since he got there and is out for the season. It's not like he sucks all of a sudden. That being said, he got way too much money to remain a Bill.

You're incorrect. He went there, sucked, a lot...to the point that talk of him sitting was heating up then got hurt.

You're incorrect. He went there, sucked, a lot...to the point that talk of him sitting was heating up then got hurt.

there was no heating up to talk of benching him. the whole defense was a mess early - rob ryan changed some philosophical stuff the last couple of weeks and it has come together much better.

Edited by NoSaint

there was no heating up to talk of benching him. the whole defense was a mess early - rob ryan changed some philosophical stuff the last couple of weeks and it has come together much better.

I'm sorry you were unaware of the talk in New Orleans.

I'm sorry you were unaware of the talk in New Orleans.

i have saints season tickets. if you think the talk of benching him was heating up, you must think buffalo is tropical.

he played 4 games and had the defenses only turnover over a stretch that lasted about 10 games dating back to 2013. people might not have been happy about the value, but benching byrd for rafael bush wasnt some commonplace chatter either.

Edited by NoSaint