Could EJ have the "yips"?

YoloinOhio

Interesting thought YOLO

People often reference athletes that are very good, and say things like "if only they focused more they could be the best ever" (Manny Ramirez in baseball)

Not everyone can approach the game with a Peyton Manning level of attention to detail, and play well.

Some guys just have to let it rip like Bubba Watson.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thought YOLO

People often reference athletes that are very good, and say things like "if only they focused more they could be the best ever" (Manny Ramirez in baseball)

Not everyone can approach the game with a Peyton Manning level of attention to detail, and play well.

Some guys just have to let it rip like Bubba Watson.

he mentioned that he only took 5 days off from working on his game in the whole offseason. Maybe he should relax a little. You are right, the manning way doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

Every professional athlete will perform their best when they are confident and in the zone. They say that the game slows down and they are able to execute and perform at a high level.

Clearly EJ wasn't in that mental place and may never be. One thing I know for sure is that until he has confidence in his abilities and frees his mind he will never reach his full potential.

Is that the yips? Not sure, I think of Mackie Sasser or Steve Sax when I hear that term. Loads of golfers as well and guys who can't make free throws in the NBA.

I am pulling for EJ to take this benching as a opportunity to gain perspective and to be able to rebound when his number is called again.

Edited by agardin

But, it is shirely a mental issue and some times you can have it all in the tool box and never be able to get them out right.

I would agree that a large part of it is mental. In combination with this his physical reaction has been slow. He may have the physical tools but it is hard to say because his confidence has clearly been shaken. Bottom line is that his play degraded from barely adequate to bad.

I feel bad for EJ separately as a person, though I know he needs to step aside for the good of the team. Tonight, he tweeted about breast cancer awareness month and how proud he was if his mom, who as many know is a breast cancer survivor.

One of his followers replied and asked if he was getting a pink clipboard.

Lots of people relish the opportunity to be a dick, especially on the internet where no one can track them down.

If you've got a problem with EJ's play, that's cool, but I don't understand why anyone feels they've earned the right to make it personal just because they donate their ass to a couch on Sunday.

Lots of people relish the opportunity to be a dick, especially on the internet where no one can track them down.

If you've got a problem with EJ's play, that's cool, but I don't understand why anyone feels they've earned the right to make it personal just because they donate their ass to a couch on Sunday.

Keyboard Cowboys... no way the guy who tweeted back @ him would ask that to his face.

I doubt it, if the definition of yips is inability to do basic things. Knoblauch couldn't hit first base from 15 feet away. EJ can still hit the dump off. The bigger issue was with his reads and decision making.

I feel bad for EJ separately as a person, though I know he needs to step aside for the good of the team. Tonight, he tweeted about breast cancer awareness month and how proud he was if his mom, who as many know is a breast cancer survivor.

One of his followers replied and asked if he was getting a pink clipboard.

That's mean...... But pretty hilarious

The yips were exactly what I was thinking after last week. His confidence is gone right now.

I think the "yips" are when you've been there, done that and then the confidence in your swing goes away for an unexplained reason.

EJ has never attained that level of play to even get the yips. I think he was seeing ghosts. He was seeing things that aren't there in the pass rush and in the secondary. So he's got a mental issue and an accuracy issue that only time will tell if they can be corrected. At least he'll get the time now to step back and slow down instead of forcing him to "learn on the job" which in his case, would only make it worse.

I think Manuel should watch and learn the correct way to play QB the rest of this season and also work like crazy on his passing accuracy. I think he's got the fire in him, he just needs to understand that as the starting QB you bring the fire with you on the field. It's ok to play QB like they stole money from you.

EJ's problems are not due to a condition. Its due to his poor decision making process and his bad throwing mechanics. He needs to come to grips with this, subject himself to a lot of self inspection, criticism from everywhere, and come out of this demotion with a solid awareness of the problems along with an action plan and desire to correct them. This will certainly test his mental 'toughness' and as someone who has probably been a better athlete than most of the other kids growing up it might be the first time in his life that he's been told he's not good enough. He's probably going through the same feelings and emotions that somebody that gets laid off from a job experiences after many years of doing it well. A lot of people have been through that including me. You either mope around feeling sorry for yourself or pick yourself up and get motivated to move on. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger might apply here with EJ.

Some of his issues are certainly correctable and with an solid support system he can improve. While there's very few examples of a young pro being pulled at this point in his career coming back and playing at a high level it shouldn't be viewed as impossible. I support Marrone's decision but I'm pulling for Manuel to face his problems, fight to improve, and come back better at some point. But I think the fault can be found by EJ taking a good look in the mirror.

This may be a good thing for him. He doesn't have all the pressure obsessing about the game being the backup. If something happens and he is thrust into action he may do it with a clear mind and start performing which may snap him out of this funk.

I think the "yips" are when you've been there, done that and then the confidence in your swing goes away for an unexplained reason.

EJ has never attained that level of play to even get the yips. I think he was seeing ghosts. He was seeing things that aren't there in the pass rush and in the secondary. So he's got a mental issue and an accuracy issue that only time will tell if they can be corrected. At least he'll get the time now to step back and slow down instead of forcing him to "learn on the job" which in his case, would only make it worse.

I think Manuel should watch and learn the correct way to play QB the rest of this season and also work like crazy on his passing accuracy. I think he's got the fire in him, he just needs to understand that as the starting QB you bring the fire with you on the field. It's ok to play QB like they stole money from you.

While he was not a pro bowler last year, he certainly was not at this point with his play. He played well through the first 4 1/2 games until he got hurt, and when he came back he had a great game against the Jets and a decent game against the Jags. Most importantly he wasn't afraid to throw and he had chemistry with his WRs, mainly Woods. So that was what made me think something happened for him to look so broken.

It's exactly what he has. It's a combination of happy feet and over-thinking. He is in a state of physical and mental confusion. I think that is the "yips."

EJ may have accuracy issues...but I think they are made worse by over-thinking....it is almost as if, while in the motion of throwing, the thought enters his mind "I don't want this to get picked off", so he makes sure it won't. Like he is throwing not to get picked off, instead of to complete a pass...

When news broke of EJ's benching I said Yip-ee.

...LOL..funny...The thing is that all the problems that "experts" said he had in college are coming to fruition. EJ hasn't overcome them to this point in his development. Maybe he never will.

While he was not a pro bowler last year, he certainly was not at this point with his play. He played well through the first 4 1/2 games until he got hurt, and when he came back he had a great game against the Jets and a decent game against the Jags. Most importantly he wasn't afraid to throw and he had chemistry with his WRs, mainly Woods. So that was what made me think something happened for him to look so broken.

He's shown flashes, but not the consistency. The thing that's broken his progress is that he looks to be mentally seeing things that aren't there and that completely blew up the rest of his game. I was supportive of Manuel starting until this last game when it was clear he was not the same steady yet still raw player. Manuel clearly needs to get his mind and accuracy issues straightened out. Having said that, I still think he's got it in him to become a top 10 QB in this league. It will be interesting to see what becomes of Manuel from here on out.

Jesus, the guy posts a t-shirt promoting cancer research and the comments on twitter are just ridiculous. Some people have a serious problem.

5b31e78e67d84b97424a6a2029cfc7dc_normal.jpegEJ Manuel @EJManuel3Follow

Check out the #OneTeamForTheCure shirt benefitting @LombardiCancer! Get yours now http://bit.ly/OneTeam4Cure RT!

Bills Expert@BillsExpert 23m23 minutes ago

@EJManuel3 Instead of Manuel on the back of the shirt, can I buy one that says bust?

Choppindatass@Choppindatass 25m25 minutes ago

@EJManuel3 @LombardiCancer I bet you'll sell a lot more if they didn't say Manuel on the back

Hey it's funny that something bad happened at your job and your mom almost died derrr har har.

Why take oneself so seriously. Joke is about being benched, not cancer. Believe me I have a lot of personal impact from cancer but still got a chuckle.

Lighten up. He's set for life and learned he may not have what it takes to be a pro qb... For a sport!

He was relieved of responsibility without a pay cut for lack of results. But will surely have a chance at some point for redemption.

Why's everyone so dam sensitive??

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I would agree that a large part of it is mental. In combination with this his physical reaction has been slow. He may have the physical tools but it is hard to say because his confidence has clearly been shaken. Bottom line is that his play degraded from barely adequate to bad.

Peter King spoke to this earlier this week:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/30/buffalo-bills-benching-ej-manuel/

I think EJ has always been someone who did specifically what was asked of him, which worked in college. At the pro level there's a need to adapt and be creative, which he's not accustomed to being on the field.

Why take oneself so seriously. Joke is about being benched, not cancer. Believe me I have a lot of personal impact from cancer but still got a chuckle.

Lighten up. He's set for life and learned he may not have what it takes to be a pro qb...

Why's everyone so dam sensitive??

Sensitive? No. Why is anyone equally sensitive to the idea that it's a stupid joke?

And the sensitivity, if there is any, is about trying to cut down a guy who is doing something positive at every f---ing turn.

It's stupid and the mark of an insecure person.

Sensitive? No. Why is anyone equally sensitive to the idea that it's a stupid joke?

And the sensitivity, if there is any, is about trying to cut down a guy who is doing something positive at every f---ing turn.

It's stupid and the mark of an insecure person.

So the Twitter clip board commenter was insecure? Or chuckling at it inducates insecurity?

Just want to understand the way in which Twitter and pro football unveils the inner workings of the phyche.

so that opens him up for cheap shots? Why?

Oh, I didn't mean that at all. Poor wording. he was a huge reach at 16. If anyone deserves cheap shots

It is OBD and the usual cast of characters there. Ej had zero to do with his draft slot, even though he clearly is not a first round talent.

I have never seen a single game aside from a couple of drives that showed that this kid has it. or the light has gone on. Not his fault the FO based their choice on a over used cliche. protoypical QB, who can scramble, etc.

Whoever sent the pink clipboard "joke" isn't funny IMO

Edited by Best Player Available

So the Twitter clip board commenter was insecure? Or chuckling at it inducates insecurity?

Just want to understand the way in which Twitter and pro football unveils the inner workings of the phyche.

The Twitter commenter strikes me as a classic internet cowboy, and I don't think this kind of person needs to be encouraged.

People use the medium far too frequently to make cheap shots and I think it makes us less human.

I'm not saying I never engage in the same, but I try to keep perspective.

EDIT: Or think about it this way -

You've come close to losing a person very close to you to cancer. You're having a rough week at work but you want to do something positive in light of that experience. You share this with the public. They come back at you with jokes about how you suck at your job.

Is that cool?

Agreed.

I think it's quite possible Manuel does have the yips. If or when he overcomes those yips, he'll likely return to what he'd been in college, or as an NFL rookie. Which is to say, he'll play at a somewhat decent level by backup NFL QB standards.

The Twitter commenter strikes me as a classic internet cowboy, and I don't think this kind of person needs to be encouraged.

People use the medium far too frequently to make cheap shots and I think it makes us less human.

Fair. So you're point is it's not funny because he took a direct cheap shot directly written to him while he was addressing a deeply emotional and personal issue.. If the comment were made on this board about him it, not to him it would have not been as objectionable. Yes?

EJ's confidence issues (aka "yips") come along with realizng he's doing all he can and it's not good enough yet. to me it sounds consistent with a guy being thrown in before he was ready. whoever said he has "slow eyes" nailed it. he's just doesn't see enough or react fast enough to play the position well right now.

i didn't want to accept it when the draft-day consensus was that he was a reach, but that clearly turned out to be the case. he's not good enough yet and he knows it, which is why he's regressing. hopefully he can learn and grow from it. that's not out of the realm of possibility.

the blame falls on the "braintrust" for assuming they could just pluck the next wilson/kaepernick out of the draft and plug him right in.

I hope your wife doesn't check this site. But I have a kid I could donate, if you need some ammo.

Dont worry she says she is always the last to know .

This is going to be q big for surprise her !

Thanks for the offer Augie !

Go Bills !

EDIT: Or think about it this way -

You've come close to losing a person very close to you to cancer. You're having a rough week at work but you want to do something positive in light of that experience. You share this with the public. They come back at you with jokes about how you suck at your job.

Is that cool?

I thought the tweet was juvenille.

I also found no humor in it.

Thats just me .

As far as EJ is considered. I hope he has the fortitude to take the challenge he has been given and learn from Orton. ( An experienced QB )

Consider it an opportunity.

Hell! , he might be relieved he can relax a little .

I hope so .

Kid probably hasnt slept in 4 weeks or so