Could EJ have the "yips"?

YoloinOhio

I remember reading at the beginning of the CFB season where Wisconsin's starting QB, Joel Stave, was benched in favor of a guy who was converting from safety! It was an odd move considering Stave was actually pretty good. He ended up having to play in their first game against LSU and his passes were all over the place. He looked totally different. They pulled him and said he had an injured shoulder. Then the coach said later that week that he was not injured, he actually had the "yips." I looked it up and it is a real thing that actually mentally affects how a QB know how to throw simple passes.

I know many will say no, he just sucks. Well, maybe. But he just wasn't close to this bad last year. He pulled the trigger. He saw open WRs and made throws. He wasn't getting guys killed. He had a game where he was 20-28. Woods was his favorite WR and now he can't connect with him to save his life. Does anyone know anything about this condition and is it plausible from what we have seen?

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/qb-controversy-stave-not-hurt-after-all-has-yips-090214

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's exactly what he has. It's a combination of happy feet and over-thinking. He is in a state of physical and mental confusion. I think that is the "yips."

in the article on Stave it referenced that he was a perfectionist to the point of overthinking and being unable to just naturally play the way he had his whole life. I remember Marrone saying something about EJ being too much of a perfectionist with his throwing while they were at TC (of course this was roundly ridiculed on here, understandably).

No, he just sucks.

But, it is shirely a mental issue and some times you can have it all in the tool box and never be able to get them out right.

if he could even get back to where he was last year before the Tampa game, I think he could be a decent backup or maybe even a starter again. For reference, Stave said he is recovering :

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=108319&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dstave%2Byips%26a%3Dresults%26MID%3D2500%22%7D

I remember reading at the beginning of the CFB season where Wisconsin's starting QB, Joel Stave, was benched in favor of a guy who was converting from safety! It was an odd move considering Stave was actually pretty good. He ended up having to play in their first game against LSU and his passes were all over the place. He looked totally different. They pulled him and said he had an injured shoulder. Then the coach said later that week that he was not injured, he actually had the "yips." I looked it up and it is a real thing that actually mentally affects how a QB know how to throw simple passes.

I know many will say no, he just sucks. Well, maybe. But he just wasn't close to this bad last year. He pulled the trigger. He saw open WRs and made throws. He wasn't getting guys killed. He had a game where he was 20-28. Woods was his favorite WR and now he can't connect with him to save his life. Does anyone know anything about this condition and is it plausible from what we have seen?

http://www.foxsports...has-yips-090214

I'd say the new QB coach is the carrier, hopefully Orton has only suffered minimal "coaching".

EJ has too many coaches telling him 50 different things. You can see him thinking too much instead of just feeling the game. I mean the guy was a winner in college. You can't suck that much and play at Florida State. Yips might be the right word.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

http://www.foxsports...has-yips-090214

I'll lean towards the defensive coordinators figuring his weaknesses out and this is the end result. It is not going to get better for EJ, IMHO his days are numbered in the NFL.

EJ has too many coaches telling him 50 different things. You can see him thinking too much instead of just feeling the game. I mean the guy was a winner in college. You can't suck that much and play at Florida State. Yips might be the right word.

Other guys were winners in college and sucked.

Interesting idea.

Peter King just wrote that EJ is a perfectionist and that Whaley has had to tell him to "just play football."

There have been reports, too, of EJ hiring a mental coach. The yips are a mental problem. It fits.

Yolo, you might be onto something.

I'd say the new QB coach is the carrier, hopefully Orton has only suffered minimal "coaching".

I hope so too! After watching the video on BB.com, it looks like Orton won't listen to much if he doesn't like what he hears.

Good for him :thumbsup:

It's exactly what he has. It's a combination of happy feet and over-thinking. He is in a state of physical and mental confusion. I think that is the "yips."

Yep not to mention he was getting killed on immediate pass rushers in his face the last two weeks. How do you kill a young qb's confidence get him hit _16_ times in additon to two sacks on roughly 46 drop backs against the best defensive line man in the league.

Not excusing his poor play by any means. But the last two weeks would give most young qb's the yips.

I had the yips putting in golf. Had to change my grip. My friend thought it was hysterical. Completely inexplicable. He's a pretty good golfer. Then he got it. Wasn't funny any more. Then I got it in my service toss in tennis. I used to play in a league with a guy who had the same thing and we all made fun of him. He quit the game. Beware people, I think it's contagious!!! Ebola- like indeed!

Slightly more seriously, this is a real possibility.Yes, being abused by giants can add to the problem. He can't just throw the ball. Maybe Orton has the secret and he should share it with EJ, a bottle of Jack might loosen him up. Don't think so much, just THROW!

I don't know if it's the yips, but something definitely happened during the SD game. The first couple games of the season he had much more confidence, threw the ball multiple times to a spot, and put a little zip on the ball sometimes. SD and Houston? Happy feet, airing it out, not throwing it until the WR shows as open, not trusting his receivers, everything.

Hopefully the kid gets his mind back, not just for our sake, but for his. He seems like a good guy who tries real hard to do the right thing, thats the sort of guy you hope finds success.