ESPN suspended Bill Simmons

C.Biscuit97

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

`Simmons drops F bombs and taunts his employers. He got what he asked for. Is Goodell a liar? I think he lies just as much as the next guy. 2 game suspension or Rice had everyone in an outrage, I get it but it exploded when folks saw the video. Just shows how humans are. We act viscerally when we see something that is an assault to our beliefs. The reaction is more than what the written word brings forth. Rice was a dirt bag, IMO, when the story first came out. Goodell serves not the fans or the players. He works for the owners. They should have addressed this issue long ago. ESPN will keep going with not a ripple in their ratings.

Edited by Nitro

Answers:

1. Money

2. Money

3. Money

Goodell is the "CEO" of a business than just commanded 1.4 Billion dollars for one of its LEAST valuable franchises. I'm sure he doesn't make this stuff up, but I have no idea on the real answers. Neither do you, Simmons or any of the thousands of others who are sure he should be dumped. I can't even feign outrage.

When did Goodell become responsible for solving all the social ills in our country?

His job is to sell football to the public not end drug abuse, child abuse, spousal abuse, and create a perpetual motion machine.

He lied to everyone guess what there ain't **** you can do it about. The game will be on in a couple hours, don't miss the opening kickoff.

Edited by Why So Serious?

When did Goodell become responsible for solving all the social ills in our country?

His job is to sell football to the public not end drug abuse, child abuse, spousal abuse, and create a perpetual motion machine.

He lied to everyone guess what there ain't **** you can do it about. The game will be on in a couple hours, don't miss the opening kickoff.

Ask your boss if you did what Ray Rice did and the company found out what would happen. I asked the VP of my company and he said anyone who did that would be fired, including himself. Hell, the guy sliding down the railing at the Bills game and fell, got fired. If you reflect on the company bad enough they will fire you.

Ask your boss if you did what Ray Rice did and the company found out what would happen. I asked the VP of my company and he said anyone who did that would be fired, including himself. Hell, the guy sliding down the railing at the Bills game and fell, got fired. If you reflect on the company bad enough they will fire you.

Goodell didn't do what Ray Rice did.

"I mailed it anonymously .... I knew there was a possibility Mr. Miller may not get the video, but I hoped it would land in the right hands."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11589797/official-says-ray-rice-video-was-sent-nfl-security-chief-jeffrey-miller

Miller, in London preparing for the Oakland Raiders-Miami Dolphins game Sunday, issued a statement to the AP on Thursday night through an NFL spokesman.

"I unequivocally deny that I received at any time a copy of the video, and I had not watched it until it was made public on September 8," he said.

The dude asked for it taunting his employer. If I taunted my Area VP, you can bet I would get suspended, or terminated. He's an idiot for trying to boost his ratings.

As far as Goodell, I like what one of the previous posts (why so serious) mentioned that it is not Goodell's job to cure all of the social ills of the world. I do like the idea of much more stern punishment for these players who get in this much trouble with the law. Again, if I as a regional manager was accused of child abuse, sexual assault, domestic abuse, and so on would be terminated from my employment.

Like it or not, corporate America does not want to manage the risk that I could do something wrong in the workplace. This is common sense. I'm glad they have raised the threshold for substance abuse, as that is a law enforcement issue. PED's are different as they help the person's play. I could care less if the guy is not driving if someone is doing bong hits.

@Ourand_SBJ

NFL says Goodell did not listen to or read a transcript of Simmons' podcast; and did not complain about it to ESPN. http://www.sportsbus...s.aspx …

i would tend to believe this.

I love Simmons, and think had he just not dared ESPN to suspend him, they would not have. For any network that airs First Take to fall back on "journalistic standards" for the suspension is just BS. Really . cause he said"is a liar" instead of "probably a liar" you suspend him for 3 weeks? I ain't buying it.

Sarcasm?

I'm pretty sure his premise is that ESPN is showing that they will suspend a person for 3 weeks for more trivial things like what Simmons is being suspended for and Goodell only suspended Rice for 2 games origionally. He's likely pointing out ESPN is trying to make a point and drive in the knife.

Maybe that's his premise, but I didn't get the feeling he was being sarcastic either.

Goodell didn't do what Ray Rice did.

Ask your VP what would happen to the VP if he fired an employee for beating their wife. Then when everyone asked him about the employee beating their wife, the VP said he didn't have knowledge about the employee beating his wife and the employee left for family reasons. (Even though the VP did have knowledge about the employee beating their wife)

The Answer: Nothing would happen to the VP.

Edited by Why So Serious?

For 3 weeks! A week longer than Goodell originally suspended Rice for hitting a woman. http://www.nytimes.c...dell-.html?_r=0

This whole thing is such a joke. Goodell is a joke and so awful at his job. He gets $44 million/ year for a job a money could do. The fact that he is keeping his job makes me feel dirty watching the NFL. The dude is about as slimy as they come.

If you can't undertand why Goodell hasn't been lost his job or been suspended (hint: it's because the owners think he's really good at his job), then you really probably shouldn't continue commenting. Your posts listed below are a prime example as to why....

ESPN is really going after the NFL on this. I really cannot believe how vicious the NFL is behaving in attacking the Commish and league for this. I get its bad but I cannot believe there isn't an ulterior motive here. Even on this story. They knew it'd garner attention that he got 3 weeks while Goodell only gave 2 weeks.

ESPN must be unhappy with the NFL - especially since the NFLN is killing them in coverage. ABC lost the NFL, too.

I'm betting it is a money issue and ESPN won't carry the NFL much longer. I mean, if ESPN does have such an issue with it to begin with, shouldn't they protest and not air the NFL?

The NFL is a massive revenue source for ESPN. It is the king of broadcasrt ad dollars. ESPN would never give up profits. Why would you even suggeest they would?

It's not the first thing he's gotten wrong.

- He was trying to add games when there was plenty of evidence out about concussions.

- He let the season start with replacement refs, who cost a team a game.

- He destroyed the tapes from Spygate. Why?

- EX players don't have a lot of nice things to say about him.

This isn't the first thing he missed up. Yet, when players and coaches miss up, they lost their jobs. He's not even getting suspended. He a joke and it's a joke what he makes.

How is it that you still believe Goodell makes decisions like the length of the season, paying compensation to injured players, paying the real refs better to avoid replacement refs?

I mean, for real---you think Goodell came up with those policies and decisions? Those are all decisions that Ralph and the other 32 owners came up with. They get to hide behind Goodell when the stool flies--hence his 40 million price tag.

Why destroy the Spygate tapes?

Why try to add games given the concussion research?

Why add a Thursday game knowing it puts player's at greater chance for injury?

IT's not like this is the first questionable thing Goodell has done. A lot of people would have been fired for similar mistakes. He doesn't hold himself to the same standard that he holds the rest of the league.

See above. He did the bidding of the owners.

Rice should have gotten at least a year suspension to begin with. But the man who gave him a 2 game one should have to face consequences. As he said with the Saints scandal, ignorance is not an excuse.

Why on earth should Goodell have "face consequences"? He didn't beat up anyone. He gave out the same punishment (2 games, or less) that the 14 guys suspended for beating up on their women before Rice got. Where was your outrage when those guys only got 2 games?

This thread is a great example of bogus (and misplaced) public outrage over the NFL's role in Rice's problems.

Why on earth should Goodell have "face consequences"? He didn't beat up anyone. He gave out the same punishment (2 games, or less) that the 14 guys suspended for beating up on their women before Rice got. Where was your outrage when those guys only got 2 games?

This thread is a great example of bogus (and misplaced) public outrage over the NFL's role in Rice's problems.

Oh wait...the media is telling me I should be outraged....I'M OUTRAGED!!!!

I've never seen so much disingenuous bullsh-- from sports fans in my entire life.

I've never seen so much disingenuous bullsh-- from sports fans in my entire life.

It's really something. Why is anyone concerned with the Commissioner of the NFL at all? There's NFL football on 3 nights a week. Most of it free or at little extra cost to your basic cable. Why does any of this matter?

I saw people questioning if it was ok for Pitt to sign harrison because of his 2009 incident (with a woman he later married, had kids with etc...). A guy that has played several years in the league with both the steelers and the bengals and now he should be black balled because of what rice did.

Edited by NoSaint

This is what I have been trying to find out. What was given out before.

If it IS 2 games like you say, this is manufactured outrage. WTF.

I also love how all the players are railing against Goodell because it's open season............I may be mistaken, but I think the reason they hate him is because the stiff punishments he's meted out.

Now, they're jumping on the bandwagon of hate, because they can, even though the reason for the lynch mob is that he gave out too LENIENT of a punishment!

I also love how all the players are railing against Goodell because it's open season............I may be mistaken, but I think the reason they hate him is because the stiff punishments he's meted out.

Now, they're jumping on the bandwagon of hate, because they can, even though the reason for the lynch mob is that he gave out too LENIENT of a punishment!

if i remember correct there were 15 suspensions in the last decade -- 1 for 3 games, the rest for 2 or less (and some guys with no suspension in addition to that 15).

the NFLPA objects to the powers they gave Goodell in the most recent CBA where he dishes out the punishment AND he also handles the appeals. they are trying every way possible to change that.

for everyones sake, someone else should handle the original punishment and Goodell should only handle the appeals.

the NFLPA objects to the powers they gave Goodell in the most recent CBA where he dishes out the punishment AND he also handles the appeals. they are trying every way possible to change that.

for everyones sake, someone else should handle the original punishment and Goodell should only handle the appeals.

Yeah, I'm sure the players are into the subtleties of that.

if i remember correct there were 15 suspensions in the last decade -- 1 for 3 games, the rest for 2 or less (and some guys with no suspension in addition to that 15).

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Not a fan of Goodell or ESPN, but this was a publicity stunt. I'd never heard of Bill Simmons before yesterday.

As someone who has followed Simmons since his pre ESPN days I can assure you it's not some stunt. Hopefully this is the catalyst for him to leave for good, an unchained Simmons would be awesome. Only downside, and it's a big one, would be if he lost all his insider access. Love his podcasts and articles.

That seems impossible for somebody with over 1700 posts on a football website.

I never hear of Simmons either until this happened. But I don't live in the USA so never watch ESPN. He's no Howard Cosell or Chris Berman in terms of name recognition, though.

Simmons just wants the spotlight. I see him on TNT NBA coverage, which is an excellent panel other than him. Everything Simmons says is designed to get the viewer to notice HIM. He's in the same mold as a Cowherd or Bayless. He's a joke.

I don't like Simmons on TV either, but he is mainly a print journalist. I like his columns and I absolutely love Grantland. It is by far the best part of ESPN. Well, except "30 for 30".

Can you say conspiracy? Nice little plan hatched by ESPN and Simmons. This whole thing is too contrived, right down to suspending him a week longer than Ray Rice's suspension.

It's perfect for that whiny B word Simmons, he doesn't miss any NBA and doesn't have to write about football.

If you didn't know his name before, you certainly won't recognize it in week anyway. Simmons is very well known one already

Simmons knew exactly how his profane laced comments were going to be received by ESPN before he even said anything. He dared ESPN to go ahead and do something against him while profanely making his comments. In essence he was taunting his boss. The basis of his harsh judgments was well established. Goodell deserves blame how he has handled this issue all along, even prior to the Rice situation. There's nothing courageous or even illuminating about making that judgment. Even Goodell publicly admitted that he miserably failed on dealing with this issue.

It's well understood that podcasts have much more leeway regarding profanity in its content. However, this was a contrived segment that spotlighted him more than it spotlilghted a serious issue that plagues not only the sports world but also society in general. It is sad that too much of the debate has been directed toward how he responded rather than the core of what he said.

Edited by JohnC

I don't like Simmons on TV either, but he is mainly a print journalist. I like his columns and I absolutely love Grantland. It is by far the best part of ESPN. Well, except "30 for 30".

And, 30 for 30 is his baby, too.

If you didn't know his name before, you certainly won't recognize it in week anyway. Simmons is very well known one already

No kidding. Not the right demo.

I wonder if the people defending Goodell would do so if he was a member of a different political group.

He has been terrible at his job.

You couldn't be more wrong here. He has done a great job for his bosses. This entire shift of focus from Rice to Goodell is the general public feeling good about itself. Everyone screaming about Goodell over this is a hypocrite, unless any of them can produce a prior post describing the exact same outrage at any other NFL domestic abuser's (Suggs, anyone?) suspension.

You should be kissing Goodell's pinky ring for all this blessed NFL football. Why concern yourself with all this peripheral nonsense/drama?

Ironically, the thing that got Goodell in trouble was giving Rice the stiffer penalty. If he'd just said the suspension was in line with the policy at the time, but they've changed the policy as a result (to a terrible policy, but I digress), and going forward they're going to handle these situations differently, this would have all blown over much quicker. Sure, the occasional blow hard like Olber Man would call for his head because faux outrage and extreme opinions is what they do, but the "fire Goodell" bull **** would never have gained much traction.