ESPN suspended Bill Simmons

C.Biscuit97

For 3 weeks! A week longer than Goodell originally suspended Rice for hitting a woman. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/sports/football/espn-suspends-bill-simmons-for-tirade-on-roger-goodell-.html?_r=0

This whole thing is such a joke. Goodell is a joke and so awful at his job. He gets $44 million/ year for a job a money could do. The fact that he is keeping his job makes me feel dirty watching the NFL. The dude is about as slimy as they come.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN is really going after the NFL on this. I really cannot believe how vicious the NFL is behaving in attacking the Commish and league for this. I get its bad but I cannot believe there isn't an ulterior motive here. Even on this story. They knew it'd garner attention that he got 3 weeks while Goodell only gave 2 weeks.

ESPN must be unhappy with the NFL - especially since the NFLN is killing them in coverage. ABC lost the NFL, too.

I'm betting it is a money issue and ESPN won't carry the NFL much longer. I mean, if ESPN does have such an issue with it to begin with, shouldn't they protest and not air the NFL?

For 3 weeks! A week longer than Goodell originally suspended Rice for hitting a woman. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/sports/football/espn-suspends-bill-simmons-for-tirade-on-roger-goodell-.html?_r=0

This whole thing is such a joke. Goodell is a joke and so awful at his job. He gets $44 million/ year for a job a money could do. The fact that he is keeping his job makes me feel dirty watching the NFL. The dude is about as slimy as they come.

You do realize that Roger Goodell isn't the one who suspended Simmons, right?

There seems to be a witch hunt when it comes to Goodell. ESPN, former players and rating driving hosts are out to make news.

The only ESPN analyst who seems neutral is Stephen Smith. He says Goodell got the penalty to Rice wrong and apologized for it. He didn't commit the crime. Goodell does make 44 million but he also helps make billions for the NFL. The owners do like their money. If sponsors pull out Roger might be in trouble but I don't see that happening. Football is too popular to abandon their advertising. This would make a good soap opera. Stay tuned.

You do realize that Roger Goodell isn't the one who suspended Simmons, right?

Sarcasm?

I'm pretty sure his premise is that ESPN is showing that they will suspend a person for 3 weeks for more trivial things like what Simmons is being suspended for and Goodell only suspended Rice for 2 games origionally. He's likely pointing out ESPN is trying to make a point and drive in the knife.

Break company policy (swearing in a podcast) while daring your boss to do something about it what happens.

It's not for busting on the nfl which as pointed already out many on the network are doing.

Yup. He begged for it... and he got it.

Break company policy (swearing in a podcast) while daring your boss to do something about it what happens.

It's not for busting on the nfl which as pointed already out many on the network are doing.

You don't think there's more to it? Why would he say that if ESPN hadn't told him to tone down the rhetoric?

Edited by HamSandwhich

There seems to be a witch hunt when it comes to Goodell. ESPN, former players and rating driving hosts are out to make news.

The only ESPN analyst who seems neutral is Stephen Smith. He says Goodell got the penalty to Rice wrong and apologized for it. He didn't commit the crime. Goodell does make 44 million but he also helps make billions for the NFL. The owners do like their money. If sponsors pull out Roger might be in trouble but I don't see that happening. Football is too popular to abandon their advertising. This would make a good soap opera. Stay tuned.

It's not the first thing he's gotten wrong.

- He was trying to add games when there was plenty of evidence out about concussions.

- He let the season start with replacement refs, who cost a team a game.

- He destroyed the tapes from Spygate. Why?

- EX players don't have a lot of nice things to say about him.

This isn't the first thing he missed up. Yet, when players and coaches miss up, they lost their jobs. He's not even getting suspended. He a joke and it's a joke what he makes.

espn is still the nfl's whore. the really expensive story for the nfl is the concussion story. and they backed down from airing it. this is a low risk attempt to show they aren't beholden. but they most certainly are.

Suspending employees who are critical of the commish proves that ESPN isn't "beholden"? Might want to take another gander at that statement, doctor.

I would have suspended Simmons too.

Especially when you flaunt your comments like he did. Good on ESPN for knocking him down a peg.

But in typical Simmons fashion, this was probably a premeditated outburst to further entrench his reputation as an average fan even as he collects bigger paychecks and goes more and more corporate year after year.

Especially when you flaunt your comments like he did. Good on ESPN for knocking him down a peg.

But in typical Simmons fashion, this was probably a premeditated outburst to further entrench his reputation as an average fan even as he collects bigger paychecks and goes more and more corporate year after year.

Grantland is one of the best things about ESPN. And isn't his job to give opinions? He also got suspended much longer than Stephen A. Smith who tried to blame Rice's wife for the situation.

Eff Goodell.

Oh yeah. His job is easy. Suspending people in advance of legal process and coming up with policies and procedures that work with the federal laws and those of about 30 states. No problem.

Simmons is just one of thousands of sideline parrots who know everything based on nothing.

Sarcasm?

I'm pretty sure his premise is that ESPN is showing that they will suspend a person for 3 weeks for more trivial things like what Simmons is being suspended for and Goodell only suspended Rice for 2 games origionally. He's likely pointing out ESPN is trying to make a point and drive in the knife.

ESPN only suspended Stephen A one week for saying women shouldnt provoke their men to hit them so how are they any better with their inconstent suspensions?...is what Simmons said really worse then what Stephen A said?

Goodell made a mistake and said so, should he really lose his job for it? people are acting like he is the one that hit a woman. And if what happened is so bad why isnt anyone calling for the Ravens owner to sell his team since Ray Rice is an employee of the Ravens?

this entire situation is beyond ridiculous and everyone needs to stop acting so high and mighty...ray rice is not playing and hasnt played since this happened so regardless of how it was handled initially they eventually got it right

Edited by Max997

Oh yeah. His job is easy. Suspending people in advance of legal process and coming up with policies and procedures that work with the federal laws and those of about 30 states. No problem.

Simmons is just one of thousands of sideline parrots who know everything based on nothing.

Why destroy the Spygate tapes?

Why try to add games given the concussion research?

Why add a Thursday game knowing it puts player's at greater chance for injury?

IT's not like this is the first questionable thing Goodell has done. A lot of people would have been fired for similar mistakes. He doesn't hold himself to the same standard that he holds the rest of the league.

Sarcasm?

Maybe. I took it as an attempt to show their priorities are out of whack b/c they'll punish trashing Goodell harder than they'll punish abuse, as if "they" are the same people.

It's worth noting that, unlike Rice & AP, Simmons' conduct was actually work related.

Maybe. I took it as an attempt to show their priorities are out of whack b/c they'll punish trashing Goodell harder than they'll punish abuse, as if "they" are the same people.

It's worth noting that, unlike Rice & AP, Simmons' conduct was actually work related.

Rice should have gotten at least a year suspension to begin with. But the man who gave him a 2 game one should have to face consequences. As he said with the Saints scandal, ignorance is not an excuse.

ESPN only suspended Stephen A one week for saying women shouldnt provoke their men to hit them so how are they any better with their inconstent suspensions?...is what Simmons said really worse then what Stephen A said?

Goodell made a mistake and said so, should he really lose his job for it? people are acting like he is the one that hit a woman. And if what happened is so bad why isnt anyone calling for the Ravens owner to sell his team since Ray Rice is an employee of the Ravens?

this entire situation is beyond ridiculous and everyone needs to stop acting so high and mighty...ray rice is not playing and hasnt played since this happened so regardless of how it was handled initially they eventually got it right

As it pertains to this conversation, yes, it's much worse. Smith expressed an opinion on a topic that others disagreed with. Simmons called out his employer publicly. Quite frankly, it's not even close.

Rice should have gotten at least a year suspension to begin with. But the man who gave him a 2 game one should have to face consequences. As he said with the Saints scandal, ignorance is not an excuse.

The man who gave him the suspension is not the same man who suspended Simmons.

As it pertains to this conversation, yes, it's much worse. Smith expressed an opinion on a topic that others disagreed with. Simmons called out his employer publicly. Quite frankly, it's not even close.

The man who gave him the suspension is not the same man who suspended Simmons.

He's supposed to give his opinion. A lot of people think Goodell is a liar. And if this was the first time screwup, it's one thing. But he has screwed up again.

I have no problem with someone who is doing a bad job getting called out. Why is Goodell bulletproof?

People acting like there isn't another egotistical ESPN blowhard to fill the time slot. LOL

Very true. But I love the Monday guess the lines podcasts with Cousin Sal.

Simmons should just break off and do his own thing.

He's supposed to give his opinion. A lot of people think Goodell is a liar. And if this was the first time screwup, it's one thing. But he has screwed up again.

I have no problem with someone who is doing a bad job getting called out. Why is Goodell bulletproof?

Very true. But I love the Monday guess the lines podcasts with Cousin Sal.

Simmons should just break off and do his own thing.

You don't think Goodell has been "called out," enough? How many more weeks do we dedicate to this?

Grantland is one of the best things about ESPN. And isn't his job to give opinions? He also got suspended much longer than Stephen A. Smith who tried to blame Rice's wife for the situation.

Eff Goodell.

Wonderful site, but that's not the point.

Simmons has long baited management. When you drop f-bombs on a podcast and dare management to "do something about it" or you'll "go public," you get suspended. He's long acted like an entitled brat and it seems like Skipper and Co. finally called his bluff.

You don't think Goodell has been "called out," enough? How many more weeks do we dedicate to this?

I want him to get the same treatment he gives the players and coaches. He should go away for a year without pay. And something like that would make a lot of bad press go away.

But until that happens, he is a giant phony and most likely a liar. He has zero creditably until he does that.

Wonderful site, but that's not the point.

Simmons has long baited management. When you drop f-bombs on a podcast and dare management to "do something about it" or you'll "go public," you get suspended. He's long acted like an entitled brat and it seems like Skipper and Co. finally called his bluff.

I generally agree. I just think it's crap because he is saying the truth. Goodell should face a consequence for screwing up.

Simmons is but a prime example of the mass-media desire to be as much a part of the story (any story) as the original story itself. Our media is chock-full of egotists that want the spotlight shining brighty on them. If they can make a name for themselves by becoming a central part of the discourse, they will. This wasn't some extemporaneous rant- it was calculated to draw attention to Bill Simmons, just the way he wanted it.

Simmons is but a prime example of the mass-media desire to be as much a part of the story (any story) as the original story itself. Our media is chock-full of egotists that want the spotlight shining brighty on them. If they can make a name for themselves by becoming a central part of the discourse, they will. This wasn't some extemporaneous rant- it was calculated to draw attention to Bill Simmons, just the way he wanted it.

I agree with the media trying to be part of the story (Tim Graham) but Simmons is plenty famous. I think he spoke for a lot of people who think Goodell is terrible and it's crap he doesn't face punishment.

But we can pretend like he actually cares about players' health and women with Breast Cancer Awareness. Such a phony.

It's still very interesting that no one is interested in the resistance from the Players Union about changing the domestic violence policy. Why? Why is this a lightning rod for Goodell? Is it just maroons who need a figurehead?

I generally agree. I just think it's crap because he is saying the truth. Goodell should face a consequence for screwing up.

Well, he's the ONLY person who knows the truth then. Why aren't you as upset at DeMaurice Smith who actively lobbied against player punishment for domestic cases?

It's still very interesting that no one is interested in the resistance from the Players Union about changing the domestic violence policy. Why? Why is this a lightning rod for Goodell? Is it just maroons who need a figurehead?

[/background][/font][/color]

Well, he's the ONLY person who knows the truth then. Why aren't you as upset at DeMaurice Smith who actively lobbied against player punishment for domestic cases?

Smith is just doing his job. It's slimy but his job is to defend players. Goodell is covering up stuff for the owners (Spygate, Ray Rice). And he goes unchecked.

Smith is just doing his job. It's slimy but his job is to defend players. Goodell is covering up stuff for the owners (Spygate, Ray Rice). And he goes unchecked.

Goodell's job is to protect the NFL. What's the difference?

I want him to get the same treatment he gives the players and coaches. He should go away for a year without pay. And something like that would make a lot of bad press go away.

But until that happens, he is a giant phony and most likely a liar. He has zero creditably until he does that.

What criminal charges has Goodell faced? Goodell stepping down for any period of time would only bring this issue to the forefront again, as it would appear as an admission of wrong-doing. And whatever period of time he decides, the mob will not think it's enough.

Edited by FireChan

Why destroy the Spygate tapes?

Why try to add games given the concussion research?

Why add a Thursday game knowing it puts player's at greater chance for injury?

IT's not like this is the first questionable thing Goodell has done. A lot of people would have been fired for similar mistakes. He doesn't hold himself to the same standard that he holds the rest of the league.

Answers:

1. Money

2. Money

3. Money

Goodell is the "CEO" of a business than just commanded 1.4 Billion dollars for one of its LEAST valuable franchises. I'm sure he doesn't make this stuff up, but I have no idea on the real answers. Neither do you, Simmons or any of the thousands of others who are sure he should be dumped. I can't even feign outrage.

To his credit, this is great marketing. I'd heard of the guy but that's about it. Now we're all talking about him.

I want to give you credit here. While I disagree with everything you've said in this post (don't want to get into that now) you may be the only person who feels this way who's willing to come right out and say it (and there are a lot[/b of people who feel the way you do). It's just really refreshing to hear someone say exactly what they mean.