Marrone yells to Russ "go ahead and fire me"

papazoid

I realize that it may have been overblown. What concerns me is that somebody from the inside fed that overblown tale to Lacanfora. That's the bad part. I can't imagine that Lacanfora would make up the entire story.

Maybe he "extrapolated" and/or "surmised" parts of the story? Who knows?

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you think they aren't? Polian may be the best GM in the history of the NFL. HE had friction with lots of people.

Again, who cares? People in leadership should argue. IF they don't settle their arguments and move on, it's an issue. But a cursing blow up? Meh.

Read Barley's post above. Disagreements happen all the time at the top (in a closed environment). But when they happen in front of subordinates, usually one of the disagreeing parties is shown the door very soon after that disagreement.

Maybe he "extrapolated" and/or "surmised" parts of the story? Who knows?

That's a lot of artistic license for a reporter of Lacanfora's stature.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. How could there NOT be tension within a multi-million dollar business with a long track record of mediocrity, tremendous competitive pressure and ownership questions thrown on top of it all.

There should be pressure...in any organization that is trying to turn things around after long periods of seemingly not caring about winning there are going to be tensions boiling over...no different than any other job. There is a lot at stake here for everyone involved and the pressure to perform is palpable...

Read Barley's post above. Disagreements happen all the time at the top (in a closed environment). But when they happen in front of subordinates, usually one of the disagreeing parties is shown the door very soon after that disagreement.That's a lot of artistic license for a reporter of Lacanfora's stature.

The Manos/Marrone rivalry carryover from NO seems flat out wrong given Marrone's presser statement that he recommended Manos for the Bills' job. It wouldn't be the 1st time LaCanfora was completely off base.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Regardless of whether this is entirely accurate or not, it's probably worth pointing out that on the surface at least, LaCanfora seems like a credible, solid reporter. He worked for a decade at the Washington Post, which is a very good paper. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_La_Canfora

Does he have a tendency to exaggerate to heighten clicks? Who knows. But judging from his work history he's hardly a troll.

Read Barley's post above. Disagreements happen all the time at the top (in a closed environment). But when they happen in front of subordinates, usually one of the disagreeing parties is shown the door very soon after that disagreement.

That's a lot of artistic license for a reporter of Lacanfora's stature.

Stature??? We're not talking about Woodward and Bernstein here.

my god this board...ugh I just don't know what to say.

I surely am one of the biggest Bills fans on the planet and yet I'm pretty sure I don't at all like what has seemingly become the "typical Bills fan".

Just some unbelievable assumptions, conclusions and statements that go on constantly here. It's completely mind-numbing.

Yet I keep coming back here day after day, year after year, contributing just occasionally, like a junkie or something :)

Must be those few sensible posters that I really respect that keep pulling me back. Who knows?

Fire away if you must...It matters little.

Stature??? We're not talking about Woodward and Bernstein here.

Yes, stature. He's the lead NFL reporter for CBS Sports, with a long tenure covering the league. It's not in his professional interest to make things up about a team that most NFL fans don't care about. (BTW, any reason you brought up Bob Woodward as the example?)

The whole preseason has been a smoke screen to lull the Bears into a false sense of security. Staged arguments for the media consumption, letting passes get batted down on purpose and dropping balls on purpose in the preseason games. Its all part of the smoke screen. Don't be shocked when CK starts the game at RT and turns into Orlando Pace. And don't be surprised when Kiko dresses for the game and leads the team out of the tunnel. Its all part of the smoke screen. The bears will never know what hit them.

The Manos/Marrone rivalry carryover from NO seems flat out wrong given Marrone's presser statement that he recommended Manos for the Bills' job. It wouldn't be the 1st time LaCanfora was completely off base.

Wasn't LaConfora completely incorrect about something relating to the Bills not too long ago? I just don't recall as I write this.

As an aside, I have no problem with these guys arguing and showing some passion. It also does not surprise me that people with big egos would argue. Also, there always tension between the front office types (who assemble the talent) and the coaches (who are responsible for how that talent performs).

Edited by Peter

I've read every post before responding. First thought is LaCanfora has really gone downhill since he left NFLN. Thought that way before this story too. Lots of times he pushes bad info

Second thought. I don't mind a bit of arguments. This has to be one of the most high pressure jobs. The FO and coaching staff are under tremendous pressure with uncertain ownership, an impatient fan base and a serious lack of success in recent years. I don't envy them at the moment.

Arguments happen in high pressure situations. It's natural. I'm not surprised that would be disagreements. Marrone is like Coughlin. In fact they are good friends I believe. I know Marrone doesn't have the same track record as Coughlin, but everyone starts somewhere. Coughlin has gotten into plenty of arguments over the years. As has Harbaugh but so has Todd Haley. Who knows what this means. At the very least, it's not the same old Bills anymore

My hope is that this story is way overblown. That's LaCanforas style in general so it wouldn't shock me if it was. I trust Kirby in saying that it's overblown. If it's all true, then it's going to be a long year.