papazoid

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buffalo tension boils over in shouting match for Marrone, Bills officials

Tension between Bills coach Doug Marrone and the team's front office spilled over recently in a loud verbal altercation on the practice field between the head coach and several team officials, according to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, punctuating what had been a tumultuous preseason for the franchise as it awaits word on new ownership.

The incident began with Marrone, who sources said has had a strained relationship with director of player personnel Jim Monos from their time together in New Orleans, getting into a loud exchange with Monos in which the men were cursing at each other to the point where others noticed ("they were more or less MFing each other," is how one source put it). General manager Doug Whaley then intervened. The expletives continued and finally team president and acting owner Russ Brandon tried to defuse the situation by getting involved in an attempt to get all parties to "shut up," as one source put it. But that too escalated into more yelling and hollering, with Brandon and Marrone ultimately separated by their peers and Marrone, in earshot of players, making remarks along the lines of "go ahead and fire me," before order was restored and the team took the field for practice.

"Sources said Marrone has referred to himself as 'Saint Doug' at times, referencing the fact that it takes two miracles to be canonized as a saint, and that he already pulled off one miracle by winning at Syracuse and alluding to the fact it would take another miracle to win in Buffalo."

if true, this is great.

I was told I was an idiot and i didnt need to worry about the incident.... and i was over reacting. Saying so then fire me is a last resort response, IMO

A very mature and controlled retort, I must say.

"The front office has also bristled at how certain players are being used, sources said, believing that tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, this year's second-round pick, warranted more of a long look this simmer, unhappy that emerging receiver Robert Woods was benched at times and also at odds over guard Kraig Urbik, who the personnel side believes is a quality guard (he just received a contract extension a few years back) but who Marrone has soured on (the team explored trades for Urbik before roster cuts, league sources said)."

Marrone is right, you have to let your coach coach, or you fire him. Player personnel directors can't tell coaches who should play. BTW, I am generally not a Marrone fan, but he is right in this incident.

It reads like a bad soap opera. Yikes.

Does this also mean that this was another incident between Marrone and company? I know there was one on the field a week or two ago but this made it sound like this occurred behind closed doors before practice even started.

"The front office has also bristled at how certain players are being used, sources said, believing that tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, this year's second-round pick, warranted more of a long look this simmer, unhappy that emerging receiver Robert Woods was benched at times and also at odds over guard Kraig Urbik, who the personnel side believes is a quality guard (he just received a contract extension a few years back) but who Marrone has soured on (the team explored trades for Urbik before roster cuts, league sources said)."

Marrone is right, you have to let your coach coach, or you fire him. Player personnel directors can't tell coaches who should play. BTW, I am generally not a Marrone fan, but he is right in this incident.

Accept when your coach seems to be making terrible decisions, you step in. I do not trust Marrone one bit.

And says the second miracle will be to win in Buffalo?

I mean come on. We all might think it but come on man, dont say it out loud.

CBF

we can call him saint doug after he does a damn thing in the NFL. And nobody tell me he used to work for Sean Payton, I know that. McDaniels and Mangini used to for Belicheat. So what?

Who knows what is going on. I think they werent allowing coaches to have a lot of say, which is why they have had trouble getting anyone but undesirable patsies. I wonder if they baited and switched Marrone a bit. I keep thinking back to those reports that the football staff was unhappy with management for the training staff and such.

Marrone does seem to have thin skin though and I wouldnt doubt he feels a ton of pressure and he is in over his head.

Really though, more indication that Pegula must use napalm.

Edited by May Day 10