Marrone yells to Russ "go ahead and fire me"

papazoid

I think this quote from Whaley is relevant here, since part of LaCanfora's story involves the questioning of Kuandjio's handling:

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/09/bills_gm_doug_whaley_seantrel_henderson_cyrus_kouandjio.html

"There [were] no questions on Seantrel's ability," Whaley said. "He's a better player than Kouandjio. He would have been probably, maybe the second tackle taken if he didn't have his issues."

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not believe in the accuracy of this reporting at all…BUT…I do believe that there is palpable tension between the personnel people and the HC

The FO (Rookie GM) put the entire organization, the coaching staff and the fans "all-in" on EJ

They doubled it down by insisting it was a matter of weapons so they used 2 #1's on a ridiculously talented WR (that is now injured) and we cannot draft a QB #1 next year.

They further compounded the situation by staying put on the backup QB position and, as many of us suspected, both backups sucked.

Enter Jordan fukng Palmer - Marrone blows a gasket

As a rookie HC in my very first tenure, the last thing I would want to do is get fuk'd over by the FO's over-commitment to a weak draft pick at the most important position. We all say that last year's team was playoff caliber outside of the QB's…I kinda feel Marrone's frustrations. He all too easily can become the fall guy for the FO.

This is why the established veteran winning HC's demand personnel decision making powers.

I think this quote from Whaley is relevant here, since part of LaCanfora's story involves the questioning of Kuandjio's handling:

http://www.syracuse...._kouandjio.html

"There [were] no questions on Seantrel's ability," Whaley said. "He's a better player than Kouandjio. He would have been probably, maybe the second tackle taken if he didn't have his issues."

he's just trying to light a fire under Kouandjio

I was told I was an idiot and i didnt need to worry about the incident.... and i was over reacting. Saying so then fire me is a last resort response, IMO

I'm not sure what you said, and didn't say, about the incident previously.

If this is the same incident discussed last week, it was reported that Marrone and Whaley were arguing. Many here assumed Doug was mad at Doug (or was Doug mad at Doug?) Type "doug" enough and it really starts to look like a nonsense word. But I digress. Most of the speculators believe the issue surrounded EJ/QB position in general.

Well if what we are hearing is true (and it seems as though there is still some confusion as to what we are hearing) Marrone's issue wasn't really with Whaley, it was with Monos. And Whaley, or Brandon, stepped in to calm the boys down---that's when Marrone yelled at Whaley---or was it Brandon.

My favorite quote in the LaCanfora story is that Marrone made remarks "along the lines of 'go ahead and fire me'" . Along those lines. But of course, Wawrow claims that was not what he said. I tend to believe JW when reports differ.

So, Doug and Doug weren't really arguing, except for Whaley (and Brandon?) trying to break up an argument between Marrone and Monos? Is this serious? Maybe. I suppose screaming in front of everyone probably isn't a good thing. (Though I can tell you in Hollywood it is par for the course.) But if the real issue is between Marrone and Monos, I don't think it's all that serious. If it's something bigger, then perhaps it is.

The short of it is the QB play and trying to turn EJ into a franchise QB. This is what`s fueling the fire ,most of all.

I heard TBD in the AM this morning on the way to work and EJ was brought up. Tiki started out by saying "I think they swung and missed with Manual" then he went on to say that he had a great college career, had a good first training camp until he got injured, played ok when he came back and then got injured again...so we really don't know if he'll be good or not.

I thought that was funny since he started out with an absolute then back-tracked.

So my question hasn't been answered yet

If this happened last week and Florio is aware of it and we assume Wawrow was present for it:

1) where was everyone else?

2) it could be assumed Wawrow saw this and gave the info to Florio but that is impossible to beleieve

3) it wasn't as Florio reports it and the story is exaggerated because, Shirely, someone would have reported it by now.

4) local reporters dont cover the Bills for crap and nationally no one cares about the Bills to cover this.

5) it was leaked by someone with the team to Florio and there was a limited audience - all whom remained mim

6) mrags should stay

So my question hasn't been answered yet

If this happened last week and Florio is aware of it and we assume Wawrow was present for it:

1) where was everyone else?

2) it could be assumed Wawrow saw this and gave the info to Florio but that is impossible to beleieve

3) it wasn't as Florio reports it and the story is exaggerated because, Shirely, someone would have reported it by now.

4) local reporters dont cover the Bills for crap and nationally no one cares about the Bills to cover this.

5) it was leaked by someone with the team to Florio and there was a limited audience - all whom remained mim

6) mrags should stay

Don't you mean LaCanfora?

sdINQ14.png

Ah, some spicy stuff to kick off the season. Just wanted to throw a couple thoughts out there for the discussion:

1. Looking at Tim's tweets here and then at the Buffalo News story he wrote, his unnamed "source" appears to me to be Russ Brandon. Something to remember in the future. Once the story gained enough traction, Russ decided to come out of the shadows.

2. Interesting that the "fire me" quote/joke occured later at a smoothing out dinner between the parties involved but got thrown into the main story.

3. Obviously the conflict was between Marrone and Whaley/Monos. Monos because he was not at the public fight but was at the make up dinner. Whaley says all the right things but he is a young GM and I do sense a good size ego under there. Conflict about value and use of the talent.

4. LaCanfora's source obviously does not like Marrone and is tied to Whaley or Monos but is neither of those two. Too much gossipy venom. "Saint Doug" was probably a joke started somewhere in the GM/scouting Department and twisted for the article.

5. I respect the fact that our head coach is strongly determined to do things his way. When's the last time we had that?

6. I'd like to think the spat helped both parties understand each other. Hoping LaCanfora's gossip spew helps them mature and work together better also.

Put it this way: Rodak was the only reporter that was there to report on this alleged skirmish, and he didn't know much about it. No other reporter there that day saw it or reported it. Lacanfora wasn't there either, so he got the story from either someone in the Bills front office, or second hand via someone in the Bills front office. And now the Bills front office is downplaying but not denying there was an argument.

Which means there is a minor amount of friction in the Bills front office, and people with high pressure jobs are disagreeing on the poor, decent, good or great play on 90 different players in preseason.

Which is what we all knew before this story came out.

"The front office has also bristled at how certain players are being used, sources said, believing that tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, this year's second-round pick, warranted more of a long look this simmer, unhappy that emerging receiver Robert Woods was benched at times and also at odds over guard Kraig Urbik, who the personnel side believes is a quality guard (he just received a contract extension a few years back) but who Marrone has soured on (the team explored trades for Urbik before roster cuts, league sources said)."

Marrone is right, you have to let your coach coach, or you fire him. Player personnel directors can't tell coaches who should play. BTW, I am generally not a Marrone fan, but he is right in this incident.

I think Marrone has handled Kouandjio and Urbik correctly. Neither one has impressed me so far. The Woods situation is one where I thought there might be an internal situation that has remained private so far. Let Marrone coach.

Ah, some spicy stuff to kick off the season. Just wanted to throw a couple thoughts out there for the discussion:

1. Looking at Tim's tweets here and then at the Buffalo News story he wrote, his unnamed "source" appears to me to be Russ Brandon. Something to remember in the future. Once the story gained enough traction, Russ decided to come out of the shadows.

2. Interesting that the "fire me" quote/joke occured later at a smoothing out dinner between the parties involved but got thrown into the main story.

3. Obviously the conflict was between Marrone and Whaley/Monos. Monos because he was not at the public fight but was at the make up dinner. Whaley says all the right things but he is a young GM and I do sense a good size ego under there. Conflict about value and use of the talent.

4. LaCanfora's source obviously does not like Marrone and is tied to Whaley or Monos but is neither of those two. Too much gossipy venom. "Saint Doug" was probably a joke started somewhere in the GM/scouting Department and twisted for the article.

5. I respect the fact that our head coach is strongly determined to do things his way. When's the last time we had that?

6. I'd like to think the spat helped both parties understand each other. Hoping LaCanfora's gossip spew helps them mature and work together better also.

This looks to be a fair interpretation.

I'll add that Marrone's behavior is typical of a coach who came from a college program where he had all the control. It is a tough transition to make to the NFL where that is usually not the case unless you have a dual coach/FO role like Carroll. It is the same thing that is going in with Harbaugh in SF and led to the demise of Schiano. It doesn't always have to mean doom but it is not a smooth transition.

Chip Kelly also threw his weight around to get rid of DeSean because he didn't like him. When you are winning, you get your way a lot more.