Marrone yells to Russ "go ahead and fire me"

papazoid

The Florio report fits nicely into my theory of the only thing that made sense to me, that Saint Doug, because of his experience making chicken salad out of chickenschit with Nassib, thought he could do the same with Tuel and Thad. Whaley gave him the benefit of the doubt (for too long) and finally pulled rank and pulled the plug.

That's still the only thing that makes sense to me.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If true, this is a serious indictment of Marrone and his football judgment. It would have been criminal mismanagement to go into the season with Tuel and/or Lewis as the backup QB. The fact that the starting QB's ego/feelings are so fragile is also cause for real concern.

I think it is more complicated than that. Gut feeling.

aim higher! The Seahawks won't let you down. Their message board must be sunshine, puppies and rainbows. Lol. I can't imagine.

If they're anything like this board, they're screaming for Richard Sherman to be cut because he didn't have any interceptions last night.

The Florio report fits nicely into my theory of the only thing that made sense to me, that Saint Doug, because of his experience making chicken salad out of chickenschit with Nassib, thought he could do the same with Tuel and Thad. Whaley gave him the benefit of the doubt (for too long) and finally pulled rank and pulled the plug.

This is more along the lines of what I think. I think it has a lot to do with the amount of time that went into developing Thad and Tuel from the coaching staff and then they whack them and roll in a guy who has not attended camp and they need to spend a million hours before week 1 when they really need to be preparing for the game getting him up to speed. I am sure he understands the talent is better, but like I said, I see both sides. What's done is done and they've probably moved on to other personnel arguments.

I heard Orton's interview with Murph the other day and he said Saturday was supposed to be a "coach's day off" and he spent 13 hours with Hackett and Downing. It isn't about not wanting to put in the extra hours (although they already put in hundreds and don't see their families; of course they signed up for that). It's that they could have devoted that time to the game prep. Again, we all know Orton is a better backup than Thad and Tuel. it was probably just a very pissed off feeling from Marrone and how he would need to delegate his staff's time now that they got rid of the backup who knew the playbook. EJ could very well go down, Tuel will be inactive, and they have a guy who has never run the offense or seen the playbook they need to get up to speed the week before their 1st game. I might punch someone too. He probably just wished it could have happened sooner, but it sounds like Orton wanted more time and more money to come here and they are the Bills, so.... they gave it to him because it was their only leverage to get him here.

Edited by YoloinOhio

That's why you only hire college coaches from major conferences. The Big East is essentially a pop warner division and the low level of competition allows you to do things that won't carry over to competitive leagues. Hell, this problem is bad enough with coaches from legit divisions (see Saban and Spurrier). Whoever made the coaching hire should go along with Marrone. I blame that person way more than I do the coach.

It does make some sense, because if you read into Whaley's comments from his interview with TBN he clearly states Orton was on their list "for a while." I agree that Saint Doug and Squire Hackett thought they could develop Lewis and Tuel -- their egos got the better of them. Whaley was likely sitting back, waiting for the moment to finally pull the plug.

It's another reason I really like Whaley -- it appears he's going to give people a chance, but then he'll be decisive.

It does make some sense, because if you read into Whaley's comments from his interview with TBN he clearly states Orton was on their list "for a while." I agree that Saint Doug and Squire Hackett thought they could develop Lewis and Tuel -- their egos got the better of them. Whaley was likely sitting back, waiting for the moment to finally pull the plug.

It's another reason I really like Whaley -- it appears he's going to give people a chance, but then he'll be decisive.

I dont know. I am starting to think it was more of Marrone was pissed that Orton didnt want to come to Buffalo earlier in the pre-season and now was doing it cause he had no other options. Why else would they bring in Jordan Palmer the previous week if they could have brought Orton in? If they new Orton was a viable option, no way Jordan Palmer and his 3 INT come to Buffalo

Edited by rsxfirefighter

I dont know. I am starting to think it was more of Marrone was pissed that Orton didnt want to come to Buffalo earlier in the pre-season and now was doing it cause he had no other options. Why else would they bring in Jordan Palmer the previous week if they could have brought Orton in? If they new Orton was a viable option, no way Jordan Palmer and his 3 INT come to Buffalo

$$$

Man come on. I know you want the Bills to win this year just like i do. But do you honestly think Marrone is a good coach? if so tell me what makes you believe that? No excuses just reasons why he is good and capable?

It was a bad bad hire and things like this are why it was.

Not to mention Marrone's decision to not have a qb coach AND an oc. Sorry that right there tells me all i need to know about how in over his head he is. Marrone really thought Hackett could handle both responsibilities with a ROOKIE qb. Jeesh. You guys keep thinking Marrone is not a problem. I will see you at the end of the season and ask you how you feel.

Btw i was one of the first guys on here to point out how in over his head Hackett was. The fact that Marrone brought in 2 coaches to prop up Hackett shows i was not that far off.

I want to be wrong, really i do. i want the Bills to go to the SB and win heck even just watch meaningful football late in December would be amazing! I have little confidence in this staff to get the best out of the players.

So Marrone was wrong for for not having a QB coach and wrong for bringing one in? Got it.

If they're anything like this board, they're screaming for Richard Sherman to be cut because he didn't have any interceptions last night.

If they haven't been to the playoffs in 14+ years and saw their "franchise" QB and offense struggle all preseason, they'd be saying the same things people on this board have been saying and worse.

Just because fans are venting their pent up frustrations doesn't mean those frustrations aren't warranted and justified.

We all want this team to win and at every turn there seems to be another obstacle.

Maybe (even though Marrone denies it) they paid Palmer for those 4 days or whatever it was to get Bears intel out of him. They played him so it would look like they were actually seeing if he could play, but really they just wanted to get through the last game and move on.

I know the Trust is Cheap and all....but if that was the case they would have still refused to bring in Orton...nobody would have been wiser

Seriously...between Kelly's theory and Florio's report, one can draw the conclusion that Saint Doug may have been pretty set against bringing in a "legitimate" starter-quality guy for fear there would be too much pressure to sit EJ if he doesn't get off to a fast start.

In Whaley's sit-down he said Orton "is our Kevin Kolb" referring to the plan going into last season. Which, if I'm Orton, really pisses me off.

Well, the "Dearie" thing made me laugh, so thanks for that. Did you read my comments? I am asserting that PR would have worked in connection with, or been ordered by, Russ. That's the boss. The coach is not a major management position. He is on the football side of operations and that is where his expertise begins and ends. The business side always trumps the sports side.

But now I am locked in a meaningless one-on-one flame battle with a stranger, and the subject of the debate has absolutely NOTHING to do with this thread. I despise that sort of thing on forums like this.

So on that note, I bid you a pleasant afternoon.

No offense, but your comments here don't warrant a response.

Have a good day.

If you don't think the HC of a professional football team is major management I would like to see what you consider one? He is akin to a Director in the cooperate world. He is charge of the all the coaches and players. There is hierarchy underneath him. I am not saying he is the boss but to dismiss him as the Xs and Os guy is naive. I would suspect only two people are higher than him in Bills organization. Russ and Whaley. That said, it doesn't mean he can dictate what he wants outside of his domain of influence.

As with any director position he obviously has peers on a similar level as him.

It makes sense, but adds to the concern. If he still thought that Tuel & Lewis were ready for the NFL, his judgment should be seriously questioned. It's also helpful to understand the degrees of his sainthood. Getting Syracuse to .500 is not the same as turning Vanderbilt into an SEC powerhouse. While he may have groomed Nassib to be a serviceable QB, the kid looked out of place against top echelon programs. So who knows, maybe he seriously thought that what he did at Syracuse is on the same level as what he has accomplished at the NFL.

It makes sense, but adds to the concern. If he still thought that Tuel & Lewis were ready for the NFL, his judgment should be seriously questioned. It's also helpful to understand the degrees of his sainthood. Getting Syracuse to .500 is not the same as turning Vanderbilt into an SEC powerhouse. While he may have groomed Nassib to be a serviceable QB, the kid looked out of place against top echelon programs. So who knows, maybe he seriously thought that what he did at Syracuse is on the same level as what he has accomplished at the NFL.

Nassib played pretty well this preseason. The Giants seem happy with him now. As a backup at least.