Marrone yells to Russ "go ahead and fire me"

papazoid

Right, it is surprising. Who knows if the caller is credible but wonder why he would bother saying it on the radio.

WGR and credible are oxymoronic.

With each passing day, I'm growing more convinced the world of advertising-supported electronic media would say/do anything and everything to generate clicks, ratings points.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll throw my take in the ring. I suspect Marrone is the one most attached to EJ. And Brandon is the least. Marrone demands loyalty to EJ in the players, hence stevie and woods in doghouse. Could be a primary resentment the players have

That is what these reports are adding up to, along with the year end press conference where Brandon did not sound confident in EJ at all compared to Whaley and Marrone. That was where they were all supposed to be declaring their all-in-ness, but Brandon's words were "we're going to try to see some marked improvement next year". Stuck out to me

How is that different from what anyone says? Everyone thinks EJ has to show marked improvement---even EJ. The differences may lie in their optimism for that happening, but there is nothing in the quote to suggest Brandon is more, or less, optimistic than the others.

How is that different from what anyone says? Everyone thinks EJ has to show marked improvement---even EJ. The differences may lie in their optimism for that happening, but there is nothing in the quote to suggest Brandon is more, or less, optimistic than the others.

You may be right, but it struck me as different tone than the others in that PC. Whaley was much more in "sell" mode. Also, in general January was a more optimistic point for most fans, compared to now, for right or wrong

Things are dysfunctional. Is anyone really surprised? The team has not made the playoffs in 14 years. Winning will fix much of this. If they have a losing record, the new owner should clean house. It will be more than justified. I think it is that simple.

Things are dysfunctional. Is anyone really surprised? The team has not made the playoffs in 14 years. Winning will fix much of this. If they have a losing record, the new owner should clean house. It will be more than justified. I think it is that simple.

The guys currently running the team haven't been here for 14 years. Whaley and Marrone have only been here 2 and 1 year respectively. Thinking the culture of the past somehow reflects on them is nuts.

Using your logic, the new owner would not only have to clean house, he (or she) would have to change the name of the team, and maybe move it somewhere else.

Edited by The Dean

I'm serious in that I agree with Marrone that if he can win here it would be a miracle. Look at all the coaches who have tried and failed since Wade. Certainly for me, with the amount of negativity surrounding the team since TC started, it would seem like one. I'll dress up as St. Doug for Halloween if we have a winning record at that point.

This is no lie.

Do folks here keep in mind the obstacles and mountains Bills need to overcome ! They are post Ralph Wilson . Just . Trying to find their footing I suppose .

I would have been surprised if some Alpha males in the FO did not throw stuffat each other , then drink some beer laugh and pat each other on the back , and then scream again at each other the next week. Its gotta be one intense process to get a team turned around that was turned around 180 degrees from forward progress and taking on water just 3-4 years ago

The guys currently running the team haven't been here for 14 years. Whaley and Marrone have only been here 2 and 1 year respectively. Thinking the culture of the past somehow reflects on them is nuts.

Using your logic, the new owner would not only have to clean house, he (or she) would have to change the name of the team, and maybe move it somewhere else.

:lol: :lol:

Probably not the right thread for this, but a new owner, after likely spending more than a billion dollars to purchase the Bills, will want to take his/her shot at fixing the team and the culture. It may not be fair to Whaley and Marrone, but if the team has another losing season, it would seem to be the likely outcome.

Probably not the right thread for this, but a new owner, after likely spending more than a billion dollars to purchase the Bills, will want to take his/her shot at fixing the team and the culture. It may not be fair to Whaley and Marrone, but if the team has another losing season, it would seem to be the likely outcome.

For Saint Doug, I completely agree. This will be his last season if they don't get over the hump. I'm more inclined to keep Whaley, even if they do determine EJ's not the guy. Whaley's young and his impact on the roster and direction of the team since he's been given the reins is what gives me hope (and I'm certain I'm not alone) even in light of what might be a cluster-cluck of a season. He deserves a shot to finish what he's started.

Not totally unreasonable. My guess is, since Pegula is a smart businessman, he will evaluate the top guys individually. If he thinks Marrone had the talent to win, but squandered it, Marrone will (and should) go but Whaley stays. If the season is a total clusterfu#k then perhaps he cleans house. If the team finishes strong, maybe they get a reprieve. If they start strong but are devastated by injuries to top players, who knows? Brandon might be safe because he isn't a football guy, but a marketing guy. Unless it is to make a statement, his job is likely the safest, IMO.

Both recent GMen Super Bowl seasons had a point in time where there was a borderline locker room mutiny and/or Coughlin being on the hot seat.

This is an interesting point, and certainly true. Maybe you don't truly get the best out of some people unless you can challenge them in a way that makes them either a) fearful or B) pissed off enough to prove to you what they can really do. Coughlin has proven to be a master at this kind of tough love.

I don't think anyone here can make any educated guess, unless they know something we don't, about how El Petulante is going to view the management and coaching of the Bills when he takes over sometime in October or December.

1) The season is going to be half over at least, and no one here knows whether we are going to be looking good or looking bad when he takes over. Nothing we think now is going to matter, no matter how much you think you know about how good Marrone or Hackett or Whaley or EJ are. That is going to be a huge factor and no one is going to make any decisions whatsoever until the end of this season.

2) Because of Pegula's unique recent history with the exact same circumstances taking over the Sabres, I don't think there is anyone here that has any even educated guess on how he would handle it. The fact is, he kept things status quo and it bit him in the ass. When he later cleaned house now it looks like the team is on the right track. Some people will believe this means he won't change things and others will believe that since he did it one way and it didn't work he will now do it the other way.

3) That doesn't even bring in the fact we don't know what his feelings about Whaley and Marrone and Brandon are. Just looking at this board and half the people like Whaley and half the people don't seem to makes me believe it's impossible to know what Pegula is going to think.

I have been told by inside sources, too, that most of the management is likely to stay with Pegula but I don't know that for sure.

I like Brandon. Not sure about what his role has been in football decisions, but I think his marketing efforts have been impressive. I think he has represented the team well and I would hope he stays on the with the Bills in some capacity.

I agree that no one really knows what the new owner will do with the front office and coaches after purchasing the team. I know the first I thing I would do as an owner is hire a consultant (such as Ron Wolf) to review the team in terms of talent and management to help me make informed decisions about the future direction of the team.

the worst part of this is Saint Doug.

First of all, anyone who refers to himself that way is an arrogant SOB. Especially given his .500 record at SU. Most college coaches get canned for going .500, not anointed for sainthood.

Second, he is essentially saying to his current team "Man I deserve sainthood if I can win with you losers!"

Third, why do we know about "Saint Doug?" Forget all the other stuff... how did that get leaked to a national reporter right before week 1? Someone has it in for Marrone, IMO because there is no explanation for Saint Doug that makes Marrone look good.

Many of you are just angry at LaCanfora for writing the story. Do you think he made it up? If not, then where did it come from?

Edited by TheFunPolice

I like Brandon. Not sure about what his role has been in football decisions, but I think his marketing efforts have been impressive. I think he has represented the team well and I would hope he stays on the with the Bills in some capacity.

I agree that no one really knows what the new owner will do with the front office and coaches after purchasing the team. I know the first I thing I would do as an owner is hire a consultant (such as Ron Wolf) to review the team in terms of talent and management to help me make informed decisions about the future direction of the team.

I agree.

One thing no one is saying is Marrone is going to lose his job and you know why? Because he is not, this is happening during the sale.....no one is going to change anything about the structure of the FO or the staff, while the sale is still in the works, no matter how the season goes. It just won't happen, we are what we have and that's that.

the worst part of this is Saint Doug.

First of all, anyone who refers to himself that way is an arrogant SOB. Especially given his .500 record at SU. Most college coaches get canned for going .500, not anointed for sainthood.

Second, he is essentially saying to his current team "Man I deserve sainthood if I can win with you losers!"

Third, why do we know about "Saint Doug?" Forget all the other stuff... how did that get leaked to a national reporter right before week 1? Someone has it in for Marrone, IMO because there is no explanation for Saint Doug that makes Marrone look good.

Really? You honestly don't believe there is any chance he was kidding around when he said that? Please.