Marrone yells to Russ "go ahead and fire me"

papazoid

1- I don't really care if Marrone is arrogant, delusional or normal- if he gets us 9+ wins I'll be a fan.

2- This is really bottom-feeding reporting by LaCanfora. Poor Rodak is probably softly weeping into his artisan quilt murmuring "I said it first" over and over again.

3- No one will remember this article if we beat the Bears...until we lose a game and then it will immediately become relevant again.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was brutal. Finally Schoop actually told them to can it because it was so depressing. That was laughable.

i can listen to just about anything, and am not one of the Schoop bashers on here, but i turned them off after about 5 minutes.I am sure if it went on for another 20, Schoop could feel radio dials everywhere turning elsewhere.

BTW, and OT, and i cannot stand Paul Hamilton...something about that guy just grates on me.

Patton was not a brilliant military mind, loved by any grunt who served under him, or a brilliant leader. He did grasp the importance of fast moving, mobile, tank-based warfare by 1944, however. And he did have a cartoonish, high pitched, girly voice.

If you want to study a brilliant leader and military mind of WWII vintage, I suggest starting with Verlorene Siege or "Lost Victories" by arguably the greatest strategic mind of WWII: Erich von Manstein.

I love finding a way to work military history into a thread on a Bills forum about a fight between a mediocre coach and a lame duck front office. LOL.

Maybe we can all just switch over to discussing WWII strategy and tactics. On the whole, it's more interesting.

Sure, but squaring off against me in history, especially military history? (I was 1 of 10 cadets selected out of my entire class at West Point for "advanced military history and strategic analysis" class. Hey, just being honest.)

1. Patton grasped the concept of fast moving wafare in WW1, not 1944. He did in fact read Rommel's, obscure at the time, book. (One wonders why a guy who had no interest or belief in lighting fast armored assualt, would bother reading a book...about lightning fast armored assault) He fought and fought with the "powers that be" to change armored tactics between the wars, which got him into trouble repeatedly. He knew what other countries were up to, and studied what they were doing, even though we weren't.

2. Any # of Major Generals could have been selected to take over after Kasserine Pass. Why choose Patton?

If troops hated him, perhaps the goal was to decrease troop morale further, right after we got our asses kicked? :lol: As far as Patton's brilliance? A counterintuitive approach maybe: put a moron up against an established, innovative, deceptive, proven winner in Rommel, because what....they hadn't tried that one yet? :lol: And, yeah, Patton's drive across France is literally taught, and perhaps over-taught, as "how it's done" today. (I say over-taught in that I would never have approached the Iraq war the way they did, but it was straight out of Patton's playbook)

3. There's a reason why posters, and you'll notice by looking above, it wasn't me, bring up Patton, and not Omar Bradley, on a football board, when leadership is being discussed. That's one you may have to think about for a while, but I think you'll get it. Perhaps its why Bradley wasn't put in command in Africa? There's a certain "Bradley" bias out there. My theory is he handed legions of morons the "wrong war, at the wrong place, at the wrong time, against the wrong enemy" quote, and they've been mis-applying it to oppose every military option ever since, aloing with doing whatever they can to prop up Bradley and denigrate Patton. Do I really need to bring up the Battle of the Bulge, and his superior generalship in that...which essentially saved Bradley's ass?

Patton literally wrote up a plan to attack Pearl Harbor, nearly exactl as it happened, 14 years before it did. Without Patton's help, Eisenhower doesn't graduate from the Command and Staff College. Patton himself graduated with "distinction" from the Army War College, which is quite rare, but yeah....Patton wasn't brilliant. :lol:

4. What is this? Are you trolling, or testing me somehow? Heinz Guderian was pound for pound(meaning resources and men/peformance) easily the best general of WW2. If the man had not been constantly interferred with, and politically assaulted by those jealous of him, the Russians would have lost F'ing Moscow easily, and probably the war. Rommel himself said Guderian was the "only man who could replace me in Africa". That should end it right there, but why not keep going?

Between the wars, who literally developed most of the weapons and tactics that made Blitzkreig possible? Guderian. Who invented the concept of the "armored division" in 1929, that we still use today? Manstien? No. Guderian.

Guderian got punished for being far better than everybody at his job. Period. Removing Guderian from command was the single biggest reason the Russians won, that, and moving their entire industrial production 1000 miles to the east, and being willling to work 10ks of their own people to death in the effort.

Case in point: with whom did noted staff officer, not commander, Manstien work with on his "brilliant" revised plan for the Invasion of France? Again, "only one man": Guderian. Who then commanded men in the field in France, and who served as Chief of Staff to that guy or this one? Who didn't actually get a real command until Russia? Who had been commanding troops in the field since the beginning of the war?

Come on with this crapola.

Cue Tom in 3...2...1...

Too late at night for Tom.

But, I was hoping....

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Patton was not a brilliant military mind, loved by any grunt who served under him, or a brilliant leader. He did grasp the importance of fast moving, mobile, tank-based warfare by 1944, however. And he did have a cartoonish, high pitched, girly voice.

If you want to study a brilliant leader and military mind of WWII vintage, I suggest starting with Verlorene Siege or "Lost Victories" by arguably the greatest strategic mind of WWII: Erich von Manstein.

I love finding a way to work military history into a thread on a Bills forum about a fight between a mediocre coach and a lame duck front office. LOL.

Maybe we can all just switch over to discussing WWII strategy and tactics. On the whole, it's more interesting.

This von Manstein. dude was on the losing team. I'm sticking with Patton, esp. since my dad was in his Army - the Third Army.

Brandon admitted to The Buffalo News there was a recent argument at practice, but Monos wasn’t present and the exchange occurred among Marrone, Brandon and General Manager Doug Whaley.

A Bills source told The News that Marrone never dared management to fire him during the argument, although he did make a similar statement over drinks later that night with Brandon, Whaley and Monos, but the group was laughing about it within minutes.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/brandon-marrone-deny-report-of-spat-20140905?two-bills-drive

You either have the players or you don't. How

good would Billy boy in NE be if he did not have

Brady. Put Brady on the Bills how good a coach do you think Marrone would be. The Bills are just like all the other teams that don't have a proven

QB. If and when EJ becomes a good QB is when

Marrone and the Bills will be winners. I think Marrone is a good coach who really cares about

his players and this team. So I am willing to see

how this season games play out. Pre-season

was a time of experiment and non game planning.

I Believe that EJ will be better then last year.

if that is the case the bills will win any where

from 7 to 10 games. I do know one thing this Defense will bring it every game. So I expect

this team to be fun to watch. Go Bills.

I remember when I overreacted with the way Ruben Brown "quit" on his teammates, I lambasted him online nonstop until the facts came to light, I was wrong and was very stupid in the process. When I get the facts, if ever, I will react to this situation.

We have a game on Sunday and I have high hopes (as always) about the team.

Go Bills!!!

the worst part of this is Saint Doug.

First of all, anyone who refers to himself that way is an arrogant SOB. Especially given his .500 record at SU. Most college coaches get canned for going .500, not anointed for sainthood.

This is the first thing that came to mind when I heard about the St. Doug thing too. A .500 record in college should not even get you into heaven let alone sainthood. In reality, Marrone is in purgatory and is about to be sentenced to hell if the teams gets out to a bad start in

the 2014 season.

reading the homespun answers from marrone in the regional rags makes me all the more convinced his mind is not up to outwitting belichick, ever. there just aren't a lot of smarts there. i do not believe he is the franchise savior. i doubt any new owner will either. his likely only chance is a 9+ win season. if he does that, we all will jump on the bandwagon.

i think the fo folks are trying to save their skins here to. this is about assigning blame before things collapse. don't think many guys with a spare billion or so are going to be buying that line either.

Edited by birdog1960

Speaking from a current position of authority, and having been in one almost my entire adult life?

With respect, horsecrap.

The ranks will see whatever a good leader wants them to see. In fact, that's his/her job. I believe your rule only applies to those who at best are "satisfactory leaders", and probably shouldn't have the gig. In contrast, good leaders are whoever the ranks need them to be, right now, depending on what is happening. Great leaders are the ones that make it all seem natural.

This may come as a shock, but my post was not about you or me. I did not feel any need to establish some sort of leadership credibility with a sentence written into the ether of the internet nor should have you.

I believe Marrone has it in him to be a good leader. He has ruined his chance with the Bills though and this is because of his phoniness. Perhaps I should have left Patton off the list and will defer to your take on him. I am still comfortable that the personalities of the sports coaches I mentioned are largely similar at home to what they are of the field/court.

Marrone, like Greggo is a "no nonsense tough guy" persona at work, who does not strike me as being like that for real. His act is not working, and although I hope for it to miraculously turn around.......I am a Bills fan after all, it won't. He's a phony and it is easy to see. If Marrone started out as himself he wouldn't have to be distracted by trying to remember the pyramid of phoniness he has built and he could focus on the task at hand.

This may come as a shock, but my post was not about you or me. I did not feel any need to establish some sort of leadership credibility with a sentence written into the ether of the internet nor should have you.

I believe Marrone has it in him to be a good leader. He has ruined his chance with the Bills though and this is because of his phoniness. Perhaps I should have left Patton off the list and will defer to your take on him. I am still comfortable that the personalities of the sports coaches I mentioned are largely similar at home to what they are of the field/court.

Marrone, like Greggo is a "no nonsense tough guy" persona at work, who does not strike me as being like that for real. His act is not working, and although I hope for it to miraculously turn around.......I am a Bills fan after all, it won't. He's a phony and it is easy to see. If Marrone started out as himself he wouldn't have to be distracted by trying to remember the pyramid of phoniness he has built and he could focus on the task at hand.

Remember when everyone was giving you flack for the greggo shtick in the offseason threads. You were ahead of the curve.

Lots of off-point and half-baked posts in this thread.

Many of you are not thinking straight.

Ask yourselves this question: assuming that the "go ahead and fire me" comment happened over beers... how did it end up in LaCanfora's lap? Do you think that the waitress at the Buffalo Brew Pub overheard the comment and called LaCanfora on his cell?

Of course not.

Someone who was present, and who would've known whether or not it was a joke, planted the story with a national reporter.

That should tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about the dysfunction pervading OBD.

There is no positive spin to put on this.

And I'm surprised that Tim Graham appears to have taken Marrone's explanation at face-value without asking the obvious follow-up questions: if St. Doug is telling the truth, how did this get out, and why? Who is the Silent Assassin?

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Ask yourselves this question: assuming that the "go ahead and fire me" comment happened over beers... how did it end up in LaCanfora's lap? Do you think that the waitress at the Buffalo Brew Pub overheard the comment and called LaCanfora on his cell?

Of course not.

Someone who was present, and who would've known whether or not it was a joke, planted the story with a national reporter.

That should tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about the dysfunction pervading OBD.

Yup!

Of course not.

And I'm surprised that Tim Graham appears to have taken Marrone's explanation at face-value without asking the obvious follow-up questions: if St. Doug is telling the truth, how did this get out, and why? Who is the Silent Assassin?

it could have even someone who was there, or it could be someone at OBD who heard about it after the fact and decided to sell out Marrone to make him look bad. I think it was the latter. Still not good.

Anyone watch House of Cards?? Who is a Frank? Is Lacanfora = Zoe?

Edited by YoloinOhio

We dont ever hire a proven coach. Get with the program.

I'm sorry, what did Lovie prove exactly? I seem to recall a strong desire NOT to hire retreads. Yes, that was the word we used to describe Smith. Failed retread. Did something change since then?