Marrone yells to Russ "go ahead and fire me"

papazoid

I suspect upper management is distancing themselves from Marrone. And by upper management, I look at everyone in the front office including Brandon and Whaley.

I'm thinking a bit differently...I feel Brandon and Whaley view Saint Doug as "their guy" but the rest of the front office fall into the old way of doing things. I'm really hoping El Pegual keeps the first three and jettisons the rest.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think anyone here can make any educated guess, unless they know something we don't, about how El Petulante is going to view the management and coaching of the Bills when he takes over sometime in October or December.

We don't know, but I'm wondering how much El Pegual attributes to guilt by association.

I know it's a far out thought, but Pegula threw a lot of cash at Penn State to keep Bill O'Brien and caught some heat for that. Only to have O'Brien take off the following year. O'Brien & Marrone are very good friends, and I can't help to think that it may color Pegual's outlook on his coaching staff.

Just wild conjecture, nothing else.

We don't know, but I'm wondering how much El Pegual attributes to guilt by association.

I know it's a far out thought, but Pegula threw a lot of cash at Penn State to keep Bill O'Brien and caught some heat for that. Only to have O'Brien take off the following year. O'Brien & Marrone are very good friends, and I can't help to think that it may color Pegual's outlook on his coaching staff.

Just wild conjecture, nothing else.

They are?! Actually, I see similarities.

All of the uncertainties surrounding the team right now, most of it related to the impending change in ownership, are clearly having an impact on the front office and coaching staff. I hope that all of the stresses and insecurities manifesting from the sales process will not filter down to the performance on the field by the players, but how can it not?

It would show us a lot if the front office and the coaches can keep things together this season to help the team produce a winning record in the current environment. With some of the stuff leaking out recently, I am concerned that this is not happening.

Here's something I do wonder: what you think I wonder about. If this is what you think I wonder about?

I officially have your number now, too. I'll hang it right next to DC_Tom's. Perhaps build some sort of trophy case, and hang it next to the buck's head.

Wow, a post without emojis. You're slipping.

I'll add this: while it's true that disagreements among members of the management team are common in every industry, including the NFL, Lacanfora's article is unprecedented in terms of the depth of its character assassination of the head coach, which clearly was the intention of whomever it was within OBD who planted the story. I don't even remember Schiano getting trashed this specifically by his own organization.

Think about what circumstances would lead someone within OBD to smear Marrone like this to the national media. Why would it happen? The only reason I can think of is that members of the organization don't think the Bills will be successful on the field this season and are trying to pass blame to the coach. And it sounds like he's doing the same thing on his end. No one believes that this team is going to be good.

This season may be over before it starts.

Or it's just one guy who doesn't like Marrone who exaggerated to LaContortist who exaggerated.

Or it's just one guy who doesn't like Marrone who exaggerated to LaContortist who exaggerated.

Possible, but that must be one heck of a dislike for him to go to a national news outlet on the eve of the season opener. No matter how you look at it, it doesn't smell good.

Possible, but that must be one heck of a dislike for him to go to a national news outlet on the eve of the season opener. No matter how you look at it, it doesn't smell good.

To me it is the same thing as the Jerry Hughes incident. When first reported a certain way it looks like Marrone is losing control of the team to a degree. When all of what transpired is laid out it's much easier to conclude nothing of the sort.

I tend to believe jw on this. Far more than LaConfora.

So you are saying it was Monos? lol, couldn't help myself. Is it Sunday yet?

Edited by bowery4

it could be an intern or a scout who overheard stuff at OBD and who for some reason is out to get Marrone. Maybe Marrone was a d*ck to him in a meeting.

The incident happened a week ago. There could easily be a game of telephone being played amongst the front office. Especially men and women laughing about or ridiculing Marrone about Saint Doug. To me it's something he would say half-kiddingly; he has a huge ego. By the time it reaches LaContortion it's quite a different story, which is why so many different, even conflicting versions are coming out. No one denies the argument. It's impossible to imagine GMs and coaches DONT scream at each other over players and personnel decisions considering it's such a subjective POV on these guys. Just look at the discussion of most players here.

I bet it's the same people who leaked info on Byrd, Lynch, Stevie, etc. over the years.

Somehow negative stuff always seems to leak about guys on the team when there is an agenda. My bet is the old guard front office types who constantly interfere with the people trying to run the team.

Hopefully they will all be gone under new ownership.

To me it is the same thing as the Jerry Hughes incident. When first reported a certain way it looks like Marrone is losing control of the team to a degree. When all of what transpired is laid out it's much easier to conclude nothing of the sort.

I tend to believe jw on this. Far more than LaConfora.

I'm not sure that the epitaph of the Hughes incident has been written, unless you truly believe that Marrone told Hughes that he appreciates how he contributes on special teams.

My biggest concern now is not EJ, but how the team will play for Marrone. It was clear they gave up after the KC game. How well will they respond to adversity this year? People brought up the Nicolau/Bresnahan episode in a joking fashion, but another ugly episode from the past was when the team was intentionally tanking plays to drive Hank Bullough out of town. I certainly don't want to see a repeat of that.

Why is it the assumption that someone went to LaCanfora and not LaCanfora started digging about it on his own? It's not like this argument wasn't already out there, Rodak had written an article, so LaCanfora would know it happened and looking for a story, seeing as no one really investigated it, started digging about it.

Brandon is clearly very good at marketing. Since he's taken over in the public eye, the Bills have been younger, hipper and easier to sell. He's sold change and done a great job.

Whaley is a great scout and becoming a great gm. Loved this draft and think he's been a part of some very good drafts already in Buffalo. His trade for Jerry Hughes was great.

With that said, they need to let Marrone run the show on the field and in the locker room. It's not time to sell or scout, its time to win games. They hired Marrone to run the show and the buck needs to stop with him. Who plays, how players are used or disciplined is his decision. If they have questions, ask later behind closed doors. He shouldn't have to worry about this board or what any other media source thinks. Marrone just needs to win and let Brandon sell it.

Marrone turned Syracuse around by cutting the crap and getting good football players to play hard everyday for him. He needs to the same now and can do it if people would just leave him alone. If we want to win then let the man do his job.

It's hard to know what the fight was over but can imagine Orton might have something to do with it. Orton has always been a guy peeking over the starters shoulder and not content unless he's starting. Manuel needs time to develop and now each mistake he makes, fans will scream for Orton. Marrone knows that is not the formula for team unity, winning now or later.

Still think this is a 9-7 team if they let Marrone continue on the path he set. Really could care less what he calls himself if he wins.

All of the uncertainties surrounding the team right now, most of it related to the impending change in ownership, are clearly having an impact on the front office and coaching staff.

That's fine, but true professionals would have kept their cool and remained rational. This stress of "we must win now" goes all the way back to the draft when they shipped a king's ransom for Watkins. Watkins may end up being very good, but WR does not have a huge effect on the W-L column. Just as the Lions. For a team that is really still in the building stage (ie. we don't have an established QB), it's not wise to mortgage the future the way we did.

Why is it the assumption that someone went to LaCanfora and not LaCanfora started digging about it on his own? It's not like this argument wasn't already out there, Rodak had written an article, so LaCanfora would know it happened and looking for a story, seeing as no one really investigated it, started digging about it.

I think that's immaterial. Lacanfora probably started digging in the story after Rodak's tweet. But there was too much detail in the story for Lacanfora to make stuff up without someone inside giving him the information. Even if Lacanfora blew the events out of proportion, it's highly unlikely that he made everything up and had a source inside OBD who gave him the accounting.

I'm not sure that the epitaph of the Hughes incident has been written, unless you truly believe that Marrone told Hughes that he appreciates how he contributes on special teams.

My biggest concern now is not EJ, but how the team will play for Marrone. It was clear they gave up after the KC game. How well will they respond to adversity this year? People brought up the Nicolau/Bresnahan episode in a joking fashion, but another ugly episode from the past was when the team was intentionally tanking plays to drive Hank Bullough out of town. I certainly don't want to see a repeat of that.

The few players that have said anything about Marrone seem to love the guy. I can easily see how he rubs some people the wrong way. He's a big, tough, extremely opinionated, competitive, big ego guy, with some unique theories. Who then tries to think too much and explain his sometimes unorthodox attitude toward things.

Preseason hasn't gone well in quite a few ways. It was a long one. There is pressure to win this season. I can easily see why there are some heated exchanges. I don't think that at all says he lost the team or is even unusual. Manning screams his ass off all the time.

Tomorrow is a very tough win. But they had better be 1-1 after a home game against the Dolphins. By the time you're into game three, nothing that happened in the preseason really matters.