higgins involved now..

The whole thing seems to be a case of the often business brilliant NFL for some reason still being anchored in 20th century thinking on this. The old business model was one which placed much greater import on local owners gaining the lead share of their profits from attendance at games. In this economic world, the blackout made some sense in turns of producing more gate sellouts.

However, this approach seems at best outmoded in the 21st century business model where by far the majority of the profits come from the TV networks.

The blackout rule is not only business stupid in choosing to pass on a 3+ hour TV commercial for your product, but actually the marker is not merely local ticket buyers but in fact are the TV viewers an NFL owner makes the big money from as the TV nets are all about getting the maximum # of eyeballs to watch the game so that the TV nets make more profits selling cars and beer to viewers.

The blackout might have made a little sense in the old economic world but makes little sense in the modern NFL economic structure.

The whole thing seems to be a case of the often business brilliant NFL for some reason still being anchored in 20th century thinking on this. The old business model was one which placed much greater import on local owners gaining the lead share of their profits from attendance at games. In this economic world, the blackout made some sense in turns of producing more gate sellouts.

However, this approach seems at best outmoded in the 21st century business model where by far the majority of the profits come from the TV networks.

The blackout rule is not only business stupid in choosing to pass on a 3+ hour TV commercial for your product, but actually the marker is not merely local ticket buyers but in fact are the TV viewers an NFL owner makes the big money from as the TV nets are all about getting the maximum # of eyeballs to watch the game so that the TV nets make more profits selling cars and beer to viewers.

The blackout might have made a little sense in the old economic world but makes little sense in the modern NFL economic structure.

yep!.. just wondering how long before the shinola hits the fan.. sooner or later the politicos will get involved to a greater extent and who knws what happens then... Edited by dwight in philly

yep!.. just wondering how long before the shinola hits the fan.. sooner or later the politicos will get involved to a greater extent and who knws what happens then...

Politicos getting involved may well be the saving grace for those who want the Bills to stay here. I think this may well be true because the NFL's profits actually have something to fear if the guvmint stops giving the NFL business benefits that many free market competitors cannot get in a free market. Specifically, by law, the NFL enjoys a limited exemption from antitrust laws which allows them to collaborate with each other in the social compact of individual owners rather than simply compete with each other in a free market.

It initially struck me as odd that elected municipal leaders in Cleveland who appear at least at feckless as NYS politicos from my discussions from friends in Cleveland to see the town force the NFL to let them keep the Browns after Modell shuffled off to Baltimore.

Part of the answer appears to be that Ohio politicos made enough of a threat to mess with the NFLs limited anti-trust exemption that the NFL folded in this fight and Cleveland won.

Not only would the NFL be undergoing a risk of political backlash if the only team which plays in NYS left, the other reason for the Bills to stay is that they have lots of chance that they can actually conspire with politicos to have NYS essentially ship hundreds of millions to the NFL in corporate welfare.

The NFL has already pulled off this trick by getting Erie County taxpayers to spend the lionshare of the $100+ million charge for Ralph rebuild. I think if actually looks quite likely that the NFL can get Gov. Cuomo to help set-up an sports authority to fund the building of a new stadium in Buffalo.

In general, new stadiums are actually a poor economic investment. However, though the financial benefit does not work, the political benefit of "saving" the Buffalo Bills would be so high for Cuomo, I have few doubts they will make this happen. Bad fiscal idea but gppd political idea.

Politicos getting involved may well be the saving grace for those who want the Bills to stay here. I think this may well be true because the NFL's profits actually have something to fear if the guvmint stops giving the NFL business benefits that many free market competitors cannot get in a free market. Specifically, by law, the NFL enjoys a limited exemption from antitrust laws which allows them to collaborate with each other in the social compact of individual owners rather than simply compete with each other in a free market.

It initially struck me as odd that elected municipal leaders in Cleveland who appear at least at feckless as NYS politicos from my discussions from friends in Cleveland to see the town force the NFL to let them keep the Browns after Modell shuffled off to Baltimore.

Part of the answer appears to be that Ohio politicos made enough of a threat to mess with the NFLs limited anti-trust exemption that the NFL folded in this fight and Cleveland won.

Not only would the NFL be undergoing a risk of political backlash if the only team which plays in NYS left, the other reason for the Bills to stay is that they have lots of chance that they can actually conspire with politicos to have NYS essentially ship hundreds of millions to the NFL in corporate welfare.

The NFL has already pulled off this trick by getting Erie County taxpayers to spend the lionshare of the $100+ million charge for Ralph rebuild. I think if actually looks quite likely that the NFL can get Gov. Cuomo to help set-up an sports authority to fund the building of a new stadium in Buffalo.

In general, new stadiums are actually a poor economic investment. However, though the financial benefit does not work, the political benefit of "saving" the Buffalo Bills would be so high for Cuomo, I have few doubts they will make this happen. Bad fiscal idea but gppd political idea.

i agree, i think schumer and higgins would probably raise cain if the bills were in danger of leaving, threaten to mess with the pseudo anti-trust exemption that the NFL currently enjoys.. i am in the mark cuban camp overall.. :the NFL better be careful in more ways than one.. oversaturation, bleeding every last nickel they can get their hands on..using the "L A threat" to extort monies for new stadia.. etc.. Edited by dwight in philly

If they lift the blackout rule then why would most stadiums sell out? They wouldn't.

As a long time season ticket holder (when I lived there), I want to disagree -but I can't. Best view of an NFL game is from your living room in front of a monster HDTV. With remote in hand, jumping to the RedZone chl cuts out EVERY commercial while keeping up live with the rest of the games. No long lines in overflowing bathrooms or kitchens, no excessive fees for parking etc. and most important; climate controlled while cheering on your team with family & friends.

Home > stadium

Why that is some what true, and some good common sense thinking, one could also say that if they lift the blackouts and people stop going and start watching more on TV then over time it will be less and less exciting to go to the point where stadiums are only selling 30% of their tickets, making it less exciting for normal people to watch on TV causing rating and profits to crash.

I too am a long time season ticket holder (4 decades) I support the blackout rule. The entertainment provided by the Bills on the field (I use the term loosely) is the intellectual property of the owner. And, he can do what he wants with it. If he is mandated to always give it away (all games televised), then I will stay home and not go to the studio....I mean stadium. Empty stadiums will follow a lifting of the blackout rule. As for the public facility in use....yes, and the benefits of a local professional sports team accrue to the region. But, the actual ownership of the entertainment property is not public. Now, as for political pressure....you bet, the exemptions provided by Congress to the NFL are substantial....and can be lost. But, non the less.......I don't think it can be done......and I wonder how to draw the line between football and baseball and hockey and whatever....mostly played in public venues.

i think most would.. look at hockey, baseball.. way too many games, most, if not all, on home T V.. doesnt seem to harm the gate..

exactly. if you have a good team, people come. Or if you give away free stuff, or have fireworks after the game, people come even if the team is average. The Pirates could even draw during their 20 year playoff drought, 100 loss seasons by giving stuff away, having good opponents, etc.

Why that is some what true, and some good common sense thinking, one could also say that if they lift the blackouts and people stop going and start watching more on TV then over time it will be less and less exciting to go to the point where stadiums are only selling 30% of their tickets, making it less exciting for normal people to watch on TV causing rating and profits to crash.

This is a very important point that seems lost on most people. A full stadium is an important part of making the game a compelling TV event.

There are 8 home games, with possibility of 3 more. Other than the quality of product on the field, the single biggest factor contributing to attendance is fan experience factor. Make it easy to get in and out, comfortable, provide high quality distraction and make it exclusive, i.e. less seating. This drives up demand, price of admission, and allows sellouts to advertise the experience to the longing. This the new NFL, "No Effin Losers"

If they lift the blackout rule then why would most stadiums sell out? They wouldn't.

If NFL teams are worried that people would rather stay home than go to the stadium then they should improve the stadium experience and the overall NFL product.

yep!.. just wondering how long before the shinola hits the fan.. sooner or later the politicos will get involved to a greater extent and who knws what happens then...

Then they start getting endorsements from potato chip and beer companies... Or should I say more endorsements.

As a long time season ticket holder (when I lived there), I want to disagree -but I can't. Best view of an NFL game is from your living room in front of a monster HDTV. With remote in hand, jumping to the RedZone chl cuts out EVERY commercial while keeping up live with the rest of the games. No long lines in overflowing bathrooms or kitchens, no excessive fees for parking etc. and most important; climate controlled while cheering on your team with family & friends.

Home > stadium

I was not a "long time season ticket holder", but otherwise ^^^^^^^THIS!