Round 2 : Sale of the team

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not. I would wager that El Pegual would be more than happy to keep him in his current "employed" position as a team ambassador.

Is that like Drakes 'ambassador" position with the Raptors that just got them fined for tampering with Durant? I must say checking this at work every morning is always good for a few laughs and good and bad information since yesterday. Keep up the great effort good info guys and thanks for the laughs bad guys.

Well, Kelly needs my support now, so I am going to root for Team Kelly to win the bid. The rest of you flip-floppers can root for the other team.

That's fine. Just realize Kelly hasn't made a bid yet so until he does he is irrelevant in this conversation.

@john_wawrow

Buffalo Fan Alliance: #Bills to Toronto concerns raised by documents outlining ownership group's plan to move team http://bigstory.ap.o...uments …

I admire Wawrow's intentions here; the lease prevents the Team being discussed for sale with any party having intentions of moving them, so this would certainly be a violation if they could prove intent.

It's just as possible, though, that the publication made the statement about "intending to move the Bills" as simply their own interpretation of the situation--and the Toronto group could just as easily say that.

Either way, I think it's a non-issue, as they are extremely unlikely to win the bid.

Well, Kelly needs my support now, so I am going to root for Team Kelly to win the bid. The rest of you flip-floppers can root for the other team.

I'm not sure why (a) you think it's Kelly vs. Pegula (or anyone else) when he and Gundlach are yet to align themselves with any group that we know of, and (b) you consider others "flip-floppers" for wanting Pegula.

I also think that there's zero connection between supporting Kelly's ownership of the team and supporting him in his battle with cancer if that's what you're implying.

For my birthday today I want them to announce Pegula is the winner and he's going to fund a downtown stadium himself

For your birthday today, I want them to announce Kelly or Golisano is the winner and Pegula is going to fund a downtown stadium himself. Bon Jovi will make an appearance so we can boo him.

I admire Wawrow's intentions here; the lease prevents the Team being discussed for sale with any party having intentions of moving them, so this would certainly be a violation if they could prove intent.

It's just as possible, though, that the publication made the statement about "intending to move the Bills" as simply their own interpretation of the situation--and the Toronto group could just as easily say that.

Either way, I think it's a non-issue, as they are extremely unlikely to win the bid.

I'm not sure why (a) you think it's Kelly vs. Pegula (or anyone else) when he and Gundlach are yet to align themselves with any group that we know of, and (b) you consider others "flip-floppers" for wanting Pegula.

I also think that there's zero connection between supporting Kelly's ownership of the team and supporting him in his battle with cancer if that's what you're implying.

I'm not sure there was any "intent" on Wawrow's part. He's not that kind of reporter. Just reporting some interesting news in the process. I agree it won't make a difference in the process, as the JBJ group seems pretty much dead in the water. It's nice to see more potential trouble for them, though.

And of course rooting for Pegula isn't rooting against Kelly, in any way.

For your birthday today, I want them to announce Kelly or Golisano is the winner and Pegula is going to fund a downtown stadium himself. Bon Jovi will make an appearance so we can boo him.

Kelly can't be the winner of the bid, since he hasn't made a bid. But you can always dream.

It's likely the NFL won't approve playing in a stadium owned by a third party, so that plan seems out, too.

A few key things....

1. Hufnagel is a known anti-fracking advocate. He's written opinion pieces in the NF Reporter against fracking. So his credibility is worthless. He's also writing for the NF Reporter, enough said. Ignore anything written by someone with a agenda.

2. As a diehard fan, season ticket holder, and EC taxpayer, I applaud Poloncarz for standing up and saying "prove it" to a group of wealthy billionaires who don't live here but are telling this region this team needs a new stadium... to line their pockets on our backs. I think this county has done enough to support this team to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars over the past 4+ decades. Sorry but I'll take my libraries, parks, and other quality of life amenities we collectively pay for over subsidizing profit for billionaires. The NFL is a hog and uses its power to prey on communities while making billions in profit.

3. A comment earlier stated that the county isn't on the stadium conversation, the call will go to the governor. Wrong. The county is front and center and the state and Schumer are the power behind the county. County currently owns this stadium and is funding improvements. The state may play a role in some sales tax exemptions but direct funding, giving the already committed Buffalo Billion, is unlikely. The county on the other hand will foot a major bill here.... county sales tax, deed recording, infrastructure improvements (sewer, water, roads, parking) and the owner would probably fund most of the stadium proper, which is politically easier to say "Hey, it's our infrastructure and we needed to upgrade it."

And I'm not as plugged in as Kirby and Kelly, but I have friends in a few very critical places that have insight and as I said back in mid-June here.... TG has made the NFL rounds and it's his team to lose, as recently tweeted by local scribes.

I'm not sure there was any "intent" on Wawrow's part. He's not that kind of reporter. Just reporting some interesting news in the process. I agree it won't make a difference in the process, as the JBJ group seems pretty much dead in the water. It's nice to see more potential trouble for them, though.

And of course rooting for Pegula isn't rooting against Kelly, in any way.

Normally I'd agree; I'm basing this opinion on the developing theme that Wawrow has lately of writing what appear to be pieces aimed at exposing the ulterior motives of the JBJ group. I don't say this to condemn the practice; I think it's admirable.

Normally I'd agree; I'm basing this opinion on the developing theme that Wawrow has lately of writing what appear to be pieces aimed at exposing the ulterior motives of the JBJ group. I don't say this to condemn the practice; I think it's admirable.

Sometimes doing your job is fun!

A few key things....

1. Hufnagel is a known anti-fracking advocate. He's written opinion pieces in the NF Reporter against fracking. So his credibility is worthless.

(2)...TG has made the NFL rounds and it's his team to lose, as recently tweeted by local scribes.

1. There was nothing in the article, however poorly written, or agenda-based, that wasn't absolutely true. Feel free to ignore it, for the sake of your own agenda.

2. I know that this typo was unintentional, but I hope it comes true.

Let's say your Gramma (Ralph) has this really nice '82 Buick LeSabre (the Bills) that she's always said she would bequeath to you (the Trust). Your Uncle Mark (Erie County) has always done the maintenance (stadium renovations) on schedule for Grams , and the car's in great shape, you just don't want it. An '82 Buick LeSabre isn't your style. So you put the car up on Craigslist.

You get a few phone calls and you meet a few people and show them the car. You're looking to get the most money you can, but all things being equal, you'd prefer to sell to someone who will take good care of it and keep everything original (in Buffalo). You get a few offers and they're all in the same ballpark range (900 million). They all say it's a great car, and that they'll take good care of it. To tell you the truth one guy (Bon Jovi), you're not so sure, but if he pays a little more, he can go ahead and pimp Grammas ride, for all you care.

So you've got these few offers, and all of a sudden someone (the NFL) posts on Craigslist, RE: '82 Buick - NEEDS MAJOR WORK (a new stadium). So Uncle Mark posts all the invoices and the maintenance log and says, RE: '82 Buick - Needs major work?!! NO WAY! Phew! Thanks Uncle Mark.

Why would you be getting pissed at Poloncarz? Why should he stay out of it?

whoa, that was weird

Hat tip to Hannah for further exposing JBJ/Rogers agenda:

Hannah Buehler

‏@HannahBuehler BREAKING: In writing: #Toronto group plans to move #Bills to Toronto all along.

Edited by Peter

https://twitter.com/...928438099038208

Hannah Buehler

‏@HannahBuehler BREAKING: In writing: #Toronto group plans to move #Bills to Toronto all along.

I'll just point out two things:

1) I think everyone is on the same page that this group wanted to move the team. They were subsequently told that wasn't an option, and still chose to stay in the bidding race. I don't know that this particular sentence in the biography was written after that information was made clear to the JBJ group.

2) The group has plausible deniability. They can just as easily say that this was the author's opinion.

I'll just point out two things:

1) I think everyone is on the same page that this group wanted to move the team. They were subsequently told that wasn't an option, and still chose to stay in the bidding race. I don't know that this particular sentence in the biography was written after that information was made clear to the JBJ group.

2) The group has plausible deniability. They can just as easily say that this was the author's opinion.

It is not plausible to me at all. The Trust and MS are on notice.

Related story from John Kryk on JBJ meeting with trust: "Sense of 'let's just get through it' permeated room when Toronto group finally met with principals selling Bills: sources"

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/sense-of-lets-just-get-through-it-permeated-room-when-toronto-group-finally-met-with-principals-selling-bills-sources/

Edited by Peter

It is not plausible to me at all. The Trust and MS are on notice.

Related story from John Kryk on JBJ meeting with trust: "Sense of 'let's just get through it' permeated room when Toronto group finally met with principals selling Bills: sources"

http://blogs.canoe.c...-bills-sources/

Sure it is...in the end, a biography is crafted by an author, not the subject. They can easily say that they never had any intention of moving the team, and there would be no way of proving them wrong.

As for the overall sentiment, this is not the first the Trust is hearing of this group or their intentions. There's a reason that they were asked to provide assurances in order to move on in the process. They don't have a very realistic chance at the team to begin with, and while this article certainly doesn't help them, it isn't going to be any more damning to their efforts than what the Trust already knows.

Like I said, I applaud Wawrow & Hannah for their efforts. I don't think this changes anything (and I mean that in a good way).

it keeps it out there publicly. Adds to the pressure on the Trust/NFL to 'not even think about it' and also reminds the Toronto group of the amount of doubt and backlash out there if they are the successful bidder.

I don't mean to say that there's no purpose in writing the piece--not at all. I want that to be clear.

Hannah Buehler

That sound you hear is the final nail being pounded into the JBJ/MLSE Bid coffin ---

PEGULA!!!!!!!!!!!

do they really need to drag this out until after Labor Day? Let's just give him the team now

"Just give it to him"

This ain't a Bills game. The process will take as long as it takes.

https://twitter.com/...928438099038208

Hannah Buehler

It's a good thing the Toronto group wasn't planning the D-Day invasion.