Round 2 : Sale of the team

Point of clarification: KKR owns 1/3of East Resources, so the 1.75 billion cash sale doesn't all go into Pegula's war chest. Two thirds (.666) or 1.75b is $1,165,500,000.

For some reason, the sports guys have been repeatedly using the 1.75b figure in reference to Pegula. Can you tell that they're not investigative reporters?

There was also an unnamed private seller, probably not KKR, includedin the 1.75b figure. This isn't to say that Terry's not a rich guy.

Edited by Franz Kafka

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way that's possible. As has been established, nobody can own two sports franchises of any kind.

I thought it was fast food franchises? Dammit, we need some clarification here.

Who knows what is going on with the sale, but it sure seems like the NFL is issuing something of an ultimatum that the Bills need a new stadium. Curious timing, unless the NFL believes that the current situation gives them maximum leverage to force the issue regarding a new stadium. This can only further complicate the sale process. Did not think this before, but I am now suspicious of the intentions of Goodell and the NFL. Maybe they really do not want a team in Buffalo long-term.

Relax, that's just your Buffalo paranoia settling in. The NFL absolutely wants a team in Buffalo, but they want the bells and whistles of a modern new stadium as well.

Point of clarification: KKR owns 1/3of East Resources, so the 1.75 billion cash sale doesn't all go into Pegula's war chest. Two thirds (.666) or 1.75b is $1,165,500,000.

For some reason, the sports guys have been repeatedly using the 1.75b figure in reference to Pegula. Can you tell that they're not investigative reporters?

There was also an unnamed private seller, probably not KKR, includedin the 1.75b figure. This isn't to say that Terry's not a rich guy.

The point with the $1.75B sale is that, combined with his earlier $4.7B sale of ER assets (with 1/3 also being taken by KKR), he has more than enough cash on hand to buy the Bills outright. I'm sure if they wanted to, they could figure out the exact amount of money Pegs made from each, but it wouldn't really change much.

If Pegula gets the team a new stadium would be built quickly. Also a new 30 year lease. The current lease has no impact on a new stadium.

It would either be a retrofit or downtown stadium, but it would happen fast with Pegula.

How is a new stadium not dependent on the current lease? I could see this if the staduim is built in Erie County, then they waive the penalties. If the stadium is elsewhere why would they do that?

I believe the penalty is designed to protect any attempted move away from WNY. I do not believe the state or county would have an issue with a move to another location in WNY provided all were on board with financing etc.

You don't think Erie County will fight to keep those taxes for as long as possible?

Just saw that...not sure why the author is blaming the NFL though. If the wrong investment bank was hired isn't that a Trust decision?

Maybe Forbes has it in for Morgan Stanley. MS is probably late on their ad buy payments.

That's what it sounds like. The author never mentioned what Pegs bid, that these were initial bids, and that the requirement to keep the team in Buffalo severely limits their desirability to prospective bidders.

That's what it sounds like. The author never mentioned what Pegs bid, that these were initial bids, and that the requirement to keep the team in Buffalo severely limits their desirability to prospective bidders.

He said well below a billion, didn't he?

<edit>

From the article:

Terry Pegula and Bon Jovi have both offered well under $1 billion, according to sources familiar withe the bids.
Edited by Beerball

And I'm glad the bids were well under $1B. I don't care how much Ralph's heirs make and want Pegs to pay as little as possible for the team.

He said well below a billion, didn't he?

Depends on what "well" means.

Just saw that...not sure why the author is blaming the NFL though. If the wrong investment bank was hired isn't that a Trust decision?

Yeah, it has to be a trust decision. I don't know what to believe in terms of numbers. The reports have varied so much. My guess is that it's somewhere in the middle. I don't see this team selling for under $1B.