Round 2 : Sale of the team

If that is the case then why did RG III have such a superlative rookie year in which he led his team to the playoffs? Last year was a disaster for him because he had a serious knee injury at the end of the prior season and was not fully healed last year. The problem with RG III and Shanahan had little to do with the owner. Shanahan is a very head strong coach who likes to demonstrate that he is in charge. RG III is a tiresome diva who has to publicly comment on every topic even when no comment is the best answer.

The breach between the former HC and the narcissitic qb was not fixable. One of them had to go. Shanahan wanted out as much as the qb wanted him gone. So the disposable coach left with a hefty bag of money and the perceived indisposable player stayed. Thes two giant egos were never going to mesh.

There is no doubt that Dan Snyder's interjecting himself into the football operation damaged the operation and created chaos. But his meddling ways have stopped for the past number of years. For the most part he now let's the football people run the fooball side of the business.

I live in the Md/DC area so I have a closer view on the scene here. Dan Snyder ciriticisms for how he managed the team was well warranted. But over the past few years those same criticisms are not warranted now.

The problem is that the coach loses his authority over the player when the player thinks he can run to the owner and complain about anything he doesn't like. I think it's pretty obvious this was an issue last year in DC.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that the coach loses his authority over the player when the player thinks he can run to the owner and complain about anything he doesn't like. I think it's pretty obvious this was an issue last year in DC.

The problem had little to with the owner. The source of the problem was two headstrong people clashed and both were unyielding. The owner was involved to the entent that the situation was untenable. One of them had to go. Since the team mortgaged its future on this trenemdously talented diva qb it is not surprising that the HC left.

Dan Snyder is not now interfering with the football operation. He wants to be kept apprised of what is going on and on impending moves. But the way he behaved before is not the way he is behaving now. The past meddling criticisms he received before are to be fair not now warranted.

My feeling is that Tpegs threw Regier a blank check and said win a Stanley Cup. When he saw what a bumbling idiot he was with his money he canned him.

In the interview I posted, Pegula claims the opposite - that it was a flat decision making process, that nobody has a monopoly on hockey knowledge, and that Regier was in constant communication with ownership and cleared all decisions with him beforehand. "I speak to Darcy more than I speak to my wife," he says.

Edited by Franz Kafka

I'm in my phone and finding it would be a pain, but didn't Trump say he bid 1 billion in cash...?

He did say that. Just because Trump said it doesn't make it true. But I'm betting Trump is a better source for himself than the Forbes source (or any reporter's source). Everything we are reading is pure speculation (or self-promotion). How else could Kryk find out one number, Graham another and then Forbes a number completely different? Believe nothing.

With that said, anyone reporting more wild speculation today?

Edited by The Dean

In the interview I posted, Pegula claims the opposite - that it was a flat decision making process, that nobody has a monopoly on hockey knowledge, and that Regier was in constant communication with ownership and cleared all decisions with him beforehand. "I speak to Darcy more than I speak to my wife," he says.

Exactly. The idea that El Pegula have Darcy the rope necessary to hang himself is revisionist. The response I think was to a question about the team being a disaster and what Ted Black's role in it was, as he was hired to be his "hockey" guy. I'm excited about Pegula as the owner of any franchise because it esures long term stability in location and an open check book. But you can't deny that he has had a hand in making every personnel decision for the Sabres. That extends much further than an owner being in the know.

I hope with the Bills, since he seems to be a big hockey guy, and less of a football guy, he relinquishes any control over football decisions. It inhibits his abilities to be successful in either franchise.

#BonJovi

/Toronto group selected as finalist in

#Bills

sale, sources say. To meet Tues in

#NYC

w/ seller. My story:

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/exclusive-bon-jovitoronto-group-advances-to-final-phase-of-buffalo-bills-sale-to-meet-with-seller-tuesday-in-manhattan/

Sorry for the wonky formatting.

Sounds like nothing has changed, even if they are "finalists."

#BonJovi

/Toronto group selected as finalist in

#Bills

sale, sources say. To meet Tues in

#NYC

w/ seller. My story:

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/exclusive-bon-jovitoronto-group-advances-to-final-phase-of-buffalo-bills-sale-to-meet-with-seller-tuesday-in-manhattan/

Sorry for the wonky formatting.

Nuts. I was hoping they'd be out already.

True. The article really doesn't say much about which statements were clarified, or what additional assurances were (or may have) been made. Are we left to assume they were sufficient by the fact the trust accepted their rebid?

I'm guessing they're still around because the trust/MS needs as many bids as possible--I still seriously doubt they're a real candidate to buy the team.

Hmmm, no mention of Gundlach/Kelly in the bidding?

As for Bon Jovi moving the Bills he finally said "cross my heart and hope to die" with his fingers uncrossed. That was enough assurance for Morgan Stanley apparently.

"The Buffalo News late last week reported the seller was scheduled to hold as many as eight meetings by the end of next week, either with finalists or potential purchasers. It appears the latter include merely minority-stake investors for potential, unformed-as-yet bid groups."

I believe this is a reference to Kelly/Gundlach.

And MS's job is to sell the team for The Trust. I don't think they would allow the TO group to continue unless they gave them some indication that convinced MS they were looking to stay in Buffalo. I would assume (as that is all we can do) they gave them enough assurance for MS to keep them in the process. But it is The Trust, and not MS, who will have final say over who gets the team. Their criteria for what constitutes a commitment to Buffalo could be more stringent than that of MS.

The problem had little to with the owner. The source of the problem was two headstrong people clashed and both were unyielding. The owner was involved to the entent that the situation was untenable. One of them had to go. Since the team mortgaged its future on this trenemdously talented diva qb it is not surprising that the HC left.

Dan Snyder is not now interfering with the football operation. He wants to be kept apprised of what is going on and on impending moves. But the way he behaved before is not the way he is behaving now. The past meddling criticisms he received before are to be fair not now warranted.

I guess that insisting that the team keep a name that like it or not leads to a lot of heated discussion about this non-sports issue is not interfering with on field decisions like the roster or depth chart. However, it seems pretty naïve to claim that the high profile stance taken by Snyder has no impact on the football operation.

Snyder's current loudmouthing about the Deadskins name controversy is by all means his right to do so as an owner and even as an American. However, though it is his right, I think the stance he has taken and the way he has gone about is pretty far from the right thing to do if one is committed to the football operation.

There seems to be a sharp distinction between the way the Kansas City Chiefs are handling this controversy and the way Snyder is handling it. Last I checked both teams were maintaining their historic names, but by insisting there will be no change no matter what anyone else thinks (like it or not Dan you gotta care what the customer thinks if you are running a successful business, particularly when your business represents a municipality). It is also true that the customer that actually pays the bills in the biggest way are the TV networks which again like it or not is driven by selling the product of watching competition between various football operations.

Snyder has shown every sign on the main issue the Redskins have become known for in discussion of the team in the media instead of discussion about how they are playing football.

I do not see how you can reasonably argue that Snyder cares more about doing the right thing for his football operation when he clearly seems to care more about his right to do what he wants without seeming regard for what a significant chunk of his customers (the TV nets, DC politicos who are gonna jump when someone complains) at least want to be listened to even if you disagree.