What if EJ Stinks or Gets Injured Again?

I wanted to start a trade Stevie thread, but they did. We need a new dead horse to beat. Trade mckelvin! I haven't seen that one yet.

Mark my words that the next "trade so and so" thread will be Spiller. If he struggles during preseason or at the begining of the season people will want to get something for him before he becomes a FA.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows close quickly. The d line has a chance to be a dominant unit but Kyle Williams is getting older, Mario's cap number spikes, Hughes is a free agent, and Dareus' issues are well documented. Gilmore is not far from free agency and if he is the elite CB that some believe the going rate on that is quite a bit. Glenn will be one a FA at the same time. Spiller & Fred are both up (although I don't think too much to resign). Mike Williams cap number spikes next year as well. Spikes becomes a FA again next year. There are a lot of question marks in the not so distant future. Some will work themselves out and some will not. I am not trying to be depressing but when you start looking at it we are not far from some tough decisions.

Some players will age out and some will have to be replaced for that or other reasons. I don't think the Bills' cap situation is bad. They should be able to retain the players they want to keep. Kyle and Mario will be the toughest to replace, although I don't think either are at the end yet. It will take some work on the FO's part, but that's good. If there isn't work like that to be done then you don't have much of a team.

Some players will age out and some will have to be replaced for that or other reasons. I don't think the Bills' cap situation is bad. They should be able to retain the players they want to keep. Kyle and Mario will be the toughest to replace, although I don't think either are at the end yet. It will take some work on the FO's part, but that's good. If there isn't work like that to be done then you don't have much of a team.

I don't disagree at all. I was just saying that this is probably the best situation that the team will have. It does not mean that it is impossible moving forward but there are some challenges coming. That was the point that I was making on windows closing in a hurry (except for teams with elite QBs). I feel bad for teams like the Texans that went from contenders to awful in a year.

I would be very critical of the front office about the draft but I can't be. They drafted the guy I wished we could get in Watkins. And seeing as how they drafted the QB I was clamoring for last year, I'm just going to shut my pie hole and hope for the best.

I feel bad for teams like the Texans that went from contenders to awful in a year.

Yup, me too..... but I have to disagree with 1/32 of your above statement. And.....that would apply to the Patriots....but will probably never happen. Unfortunately ! lol !

I truly hope that EJ works out and holds down the job for the next ten years, but if he doesn't I wouldn't be surprised to see Brian Hoyer end up in Buffalo. I think with Pettine in Cleveland we have a line of communication there when Manziel eventually takes over as the starter they will move Hoyer. Prior to getting knocked out by Kiki Alonzo I thought he looked pretty good he was making good decisions getting the ball out quickly, I think the Browns reached on Johnny Football when they had already found the answer to their QB question. Hoyer is going to land somewhere and Buffalo very likely could be the spot.

I truly hope that EJ works out and holds down the job for the next ten years, but if he doesn't I wouldn't be surprised to see Brian Hoyer end up in Buffalo. I think with Pettine in Cleveland we have a line of communication there when Manziel eventually takes over as the starter they will move Hoyer. Prior to getting knocked out by Kiki Alonzo I thought he looked pretty good he was making good decisions getting the ball out quickly, I think the Browns reached on Johnny Football when they had already found the answer to their QB question. Hoyer is going to land somewhere and Buffalo very likely could be the spot.

There's a better than even chance Hoyer will beat out Manziel anyway, even after they sit Johnny Football his first year.

GO BILLS!!!

Hoyer will beat him out, but the front office burned a pick on Johnny and there is going to be a lot of pressure on Pettine to play him from the front office the fans and the media unenviable position for a rookie coach I bet he wishes he stayed right here at this point.

Hoyer will beat him out, but the front office burned a pick on Johnny and there is going to be a lot of pressure on Pettine to play him from the front office the fans and the media unenviable position for a rookie coach I bet he wishes he stayed right here at this point.

There will be pressure to play him prematurely (the plan is to sit him a year) if two things happen:

1.) He proves in camp and pre-season that he has the chops in the first place and

2.) Hoyer completely screws the pooch.

My feeling is that Manziel is so unpolished at this point that Pettine's decision will be an easy one to make.

There were similar thoughts when Brady Quinn was drafted after the Browns traded back into the first round to draft him. But Quinn's play made it a no-brainer to keep him on the bench.

GO BILLS!!!

As QB Manuel goes, so go the Bills.. GM Doug Whaley, Russ Brandon and Head Coach Doug Marrones careers may depend on the

success of Manuel. ... A new owner has to be pleased what he sees or changes could be made.

I know it is really early, but warning signs are appearing that indicate QB Manuel may not be as good as first thought by the front office.

I really like the new Front Office and what they have done in free agency and the draft. But their decision on Manuel is their most

important one... They seem to have decided that he is their man who will take them to the playoffs. They certainly built a much stronger

team around Manuel.... I really want him to succeed and not flop where the fans want a change at QB... What are the odds of him

leading the Buffalo Bills to the playoffs this year ?

Of course, it would be a little more reassuring if we had a capable seasoned veteran QB as our backup (really too bad about Kolb, he would have fit the backup role perfectly). However, I was pleasantly surprised with Thad. He's not going to light the world on fire but he did a decent job (he was at least average, a C or maybe even a C+,on the other hand, poor Jeff Tuel was an F but that's not surprising for a UDFA--not many Tony Romo stories out there). As we all know, every team in the NFL will be in trouble if their starter goes down. Found this take on Thad and the Bills' decision to ride with Thad, it seems to make sense: http://buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles-buffalo-bills/beyond-the-stats-where-does-thad-rank-among-backup-qbs.html

Available FA QBs:

1. Josh Freeman

2. Kevin Kolb

3. David Garrard

4. Rex Grossman

5. David Carr

6. John Skelton

7. Brett Smith

8. Seneca Wallace

9. Tim Tebow

10. Vince Young

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47305/309/2014-nfl-free-agents

Edited by biggerdaddynj

Well, as much as people within the Bills fan base scoff at the prospect of Jeff Tuel starting, the front office signed him for a reason.

He and EJ were both rookies last year, they were bound to play within themselves, over think in situations that they would typically rely on instincts. There is a lot of pressure to win football games in the NFL. They aren't playing football for fun anymore. This is their career, not just their passion. I think the gravity of that situation, the pressure to not only be successful for yourself or your team, but to be successful for your family and your future is a lot to wrap your head around when you first come into the league.

I personally feel EJ will improve this year, but IF he doesn't I would expect the Bills to turn to their other investment of the 2013 draft.

Edited by Luka

I guess we cut everyone on offense and start over!

Of course, it would be a little more reassuring if we had a capable seasoned veteran QB as our backup (really too bad about Kolb, he would have fit the backup role perfectly). However, I was pleasantly surprised with Thad. He's not going to light the world on fire but he did a decent job (he was at least average, a C or maybe even a C+,on the other hand, poor Jeff Tuel was an F but that's not surprising for a UDFA--not many Tony Romo stories out there). As we all know, every team in the NFL will be in trouble if their starter goes down. Found this take on Thad and the Bills' decision to ride with Thad, it seems to make sense: http://buffalowins.c...backup-qbs.html

Available FA QBs:

1. Josh Freeman

2. Kevin Kolb

3. David Garrard

4. Rex Grossman

5. David Carr

6. John Skelton

7. Brett Smith

8. Seneca Wallace

9. Tim Tebow

10. Vince Young

http://www.rotoworld...nfl-free-agents

Thats a long list of incompetence. Ill take my chances with Thad.

As QB Manuel goes, so go the Bills.. GM Doug Whaley, Russ Brandon and Head Coach Doug Marrones careers may depend on the

success of Manuel. ... A new owner has to be pleased what he sees or changes could be made.

I know it is really early, but warning signs are appearing that indicate QB Manuel may not be as good as first thought by the front office.

I really like the new Front Office and what they have done in free agency and the draft. But their decision on Manuel is their most

important one... They seem to have decided that he is their man who will take them to the playoffs. They certainly built a much stronger

team around Manuel.... I really want him to succeed and not flop where the fans want a change at QB... What are the odds of him

leading the Buffalo Bills to the playoffs this year ?

I am afraid you are too correct .

I like the attitude form the Front Office . Takes some real nuts to try to pull this off .

They have not only decided they can make Manuel work , they have only one year to showcase the whole darned team as repeatable playoff contenders.

This is truly and honestly FO way of saying " its on like a MOFO "

Hats off to them

and god bless us fans

Also in news

Thad has been strip sacked in mini camp . Which is his weakness, not his arm IMHO

Jeff has been shining . reports are he is really showing this preseason .

It seems that everyone is polarized as usual. Either he is going to stink/get injured, or he is going to be good.

Surely I am not the only one who thinks that EJ will be improved from last year, but still a work in progress after year 2. I really see no reason to expect him to regress.....nor leap into stardom in his second season. The lack of a 1st round pick next year will likely make no difference whatsoever to our QB situation.

IMO it will be year 3 that will be the most telling. Either he will keep improving, or he will plateau and we will be looking for a QB in 2016.

It seems that everyone is polarized as usual. Either he is going to stink/get injured, or he is going to be good.

Surely I am not the only one who thinks that EJ will be improved from last year, but still a work in progress after year 2. I really see no reason to expect him to regress.....nor leap into stardom in his second season. The lack of a 1st round pick next year will likely make no difference whatsoever to our QB situation.

IMO it will be year 3 that will be the most telling. Either he will keep improving, or he will plateau and we will be looking for a QB in 2016.

Exactly. Thank you for providing rationality.

This is close to where I am.

Over the course of last season, EJ almost never appeared settled in, like a hockey player on his first few shifts of a new season. I'm impressed with his ability to stay cool under pressure. Now I'd like to see him show more urgency, fighting all-out for a win. I haven't seen any "playoff hockey" from EJ, and very little with him flowing at all - - enough to know it's there, but nowhere near a full game. He seems slow to warm up.

For a rookie, I think EJ's looked fine, better than I expected actually. I think we'll continue to see improvement in his second year, and might well see a big jump once he settles in.

We have so many weapons on offense, plus an improved line. What happens if EJ stinks, or misses significant games? Is there a reliable backup plan? If not, here comes 7-9.

7-9? Being generous aren't you?

Well, as much as people within the Bills fan base scoff at the prospect of Jeff Tuel starting, the front office signed him for a reason.

He and EJ were both rookies last year, they were bound to play within themselves, over think in situations that they would typically rely on instincts. There is a lot of pressure to win football games in the NFL. They aren't playing football for fun anymore. This is their career, not just their passion. I think the gravity of that situation, the pressure to not only be successful for yourself or your team, but to be successful for your family and your future is a lot to wrap your head around when you first come into the league.

I personally feel EJ will improve this year, but IF he doesn't I would expect the Bills to turn to their other investment of the 2013 draft.

Oh yeah...thats going to happen

This is close to where I am.

Over the course of last season, EJ almost never appeared settled in, like a hockey player on his first few shifts of a new season. I'm impressed with his ability to stay cool under pressure. Now I'd like to see him show more urgency, fighting all-out for a win. I haven't seen any "playoff hockey" from EJ, and very little with him flowing at all - - enough to know it's there, but nowhere near a full game. He seems slow to warm up.

For a rookie, I think EJ's looked fine, better than I expected actually. I think we'll continue to see improvement in his second year, and might well see a big jump once he settles in.

You mean like when he was going for extra yards on the sideline and that defender took his knee out?

This isnt a jab at you.....I just dont understand why people feel that EJ was playing it "safe" all the time when that wasnt the case.......he took the ball down and ran a lot to. The fact is that every time he appeared to get going and start to get comfortable a injury would side line him......and then the bill staff appeared to see enough in a year where we were not going to the playoffs and shut him down when he probably could have played.

I want to see EJ improve his chemistry with the wonderful weapons that have been presented to him and STAY HEALTHY........and continue to progress. This is really the only thing holding him back. I would like to see him work from the pocket and forget about this option crap.

Every time he runs he is presenting an opportunity for the defense to take him out.

... I want to see EJ improve his chemistry with the wonderful weapons that have been presented to him and STAY HEALTHY........and continue to progress. This is really the only thing holding him back. I would like to see him work from the pocket and forget about this option crap.

Every time he runs he is presenting an opportunity for the defense to take him out.

The read option is going to fade away to nothing more than a once in a while play, if that. DCs recognized it as a free shot on your QB. No sane OC is gonna put his QB in that position very often. Once in a while, depending on what you see from the defense, fine. But even then, it's a risk because DCs have made it a point to hit the QB, regardless if he keeps it or not.

GO BILLS!!!

You mean like when he was going for extra yards on the sideline and that defender took his knee out?

This isnt a jab at you.....I just dont understand why people feel that EJ was playing it "safe" all the time when that wasnt the case.......he took the ball down and ran a lot to. The fact is that every time he appeared to get going and start to get comfortable a injury would side line him......and then the bill staff appeared to see enough in a year where we were not going to the playoffs and shut him down when he probably could have played.

I want to see EJ improve his chemistry with the wonderful weapons that have been presented to him and STAY HEALTHY........and continue to progress. This is really the only thing holding him back. I would like to see him work from the pocket and forget about this option crap.

I agree I'd all but remove the QB running plays from the playbook. EJ has the size to take defenders on (not that it's smart) but doesn't look comfortable with contact at all.

I don't think EJ was playing it safe "all the time," but yeah, sometimes.

What if he hands the ball off to Fred, CJ and Company fifty times a game and our Defense picks it up and shuts out a half dozen teams this year? Cheese and Crackers Got All Muddy people. EJ might not set the world on fire, but he does have SOME skills at QB. And if he does become suck-a-tatious or pop a ganube then you honestly think no one else will help carry the load?

Joe ferguson's rookie season was the year OJ rushed for 2,003 yards - in 14 games! No one has done better.

Oh yeah...thats going to happen

I see you have a hard time understanding simple concepts. Bills sign QB. Bills stand behind QB as a project with promise. QB still on team, with a great shot at winning the backup position in his 2nd year. Starter known for injuries ahead of him.

I see you have a hard time understanding simple concepts. Bills sign QB. Bills stand behind QB as a project with promise. QB still on team, with a great shot at winning the backup position in his 2nd year. Starter known for injuries ahead of him.

You're going to go far on this forum with those sorts of rhetorical devices.

Here's another simple concept: Out of our four quarterbacks, where do you think Tuel sits on the depth chart? I would say that Tuel has a better shot at losing his third string position to Dixon, than he has at beating Lewis for #2.

You're going to go far on this forum with those sorts of rhetorical devices.

Here's another simple concept: Out of our four quarterbacks, where do you think Tuel sits on the depth chart? I would say that Tuel has a better shot at losing his third string position to Dixon, than he has at beating Lewis for #2.

Not according to his play last year and the glowing reports of him coming out training camp. But you guys have your vendetta/agenda so carry on.